Author Topic: TPMS mod to use removable Battery  (Read 52078 times)

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: TPMS mod to use removable Battery
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2014, 11:47:01 am »
Kawi has changed vendors for the sensors. They are now made by the same company that makes them for GM. This is the largest TPMS sensor maker out there. They are supposed to last up to 10 years but time will tell. Mine are only 1 year old now but no troubles.
Matt

I'd lay odds that was for a cost savings to them
ego,
if they last longer and even cost a few dollars more it will stile a cost savings to Kawi since the number of warranty claims will drop rather quickly.
Matt

Since they changed vendors to one who make millions for a major auto company, I'd lay odds it was for cost savings more than anything else.

If longer battery life came as a result, that was merely a bonus.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11037
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:55 pm »
Moto Madness or JC,

Both of you are in the South West? If you'd like to try an experiment I have the KDS.

I've used it to add the new TPMSs to my bike as I got tire of the others constantly reading low voltage. Don't feel like messing with them now that everything is working well.

However, If either of you are close to SoCAL as an experiment I can also delete sensors from the ECU with the tool. I'm not sure what the results would be but maybe it would just remove the warning leave --- and don't have to worry about removing TPMSs or waiting for batteries to die? Or it may leave a warning...either way I could add new TPMSs to your ECU if you have them and the experiment doesn't work?

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:19 pm »
Moto Madness or JC, Both of you are in the South West? If you'd like to try an experiment I have the KDS.
Hey Knox, I haven't bought a C14 yet; I'm in that process now ;D. But your suggestion sounds interesting. I won't need it for at least a few years since bike will be new, but please keep us posted if you try this on, so we all know if it works. What I'm more concerned about is the reported low fuel warning blocking the entire screen until you fuel up. That's just retarded. And read there's a way to make it disappear. In all my cars, when you get such warning, hitting the menu button makes it go away. I MUCH rather see my range than a stupid warning that after seeing it, does you no good. Thanks man.
2015 Candy Lime Green Concours14
MODS: TBR black-series slip-on w/P1 insert, black/heavy Throttlemeister, Grip Puppies, FendaExtenda, radiator grille with fiberglass screening, billet black oil-filler/final-drive caps, CB MiniEuro tinted screen, LED city-lights/rear turn-signals/license-plate lights, no stickers, no reflectors, no badges.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2014, 11:19:43 pm »
JC,
There is a way to clear the screen. Uses the two buttons same as clearing the other warnings/changing info on the screen.
You don't want to run this bikes tires at 36PSI. It will destroy the tires. This bike is really happiest with 41-42 PSI in BOTH front and rear tires. REGARDLESS of how much you weigh. The bike still weighs almost 700 lbs without you.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
There is a way to clear the screen. Uses the two buttons same as clearing the other warnings/changing info on the screen.
You don't want to run this bikes tires at 36PSI. It will destroy the tires. This bike is really happiest with 41-42 PSI in BOTH front and rear tires.
Thanks a lot Matt. Will run 42/42 then, and see how it feels. Hey, do you know at what psi the TPMS warning goes off?
And great to hear you can clear the low fuel warning; didn't make any sense you couldn't. And I prefer not to mess with anything electronic. Thanks again :beerchug:.
2015 Candy Lime Green Concours14
MODS: TBR black-series slip-on w/P1 insert, black/heavy Throttlemeister, Grip Puppies, FendaExtenda, radiator grille with fiberglass screening, billet black oil-filler/final-drive caps, CB MiniEuro tinted screen, LED city-lights/rear turn-signals/license-plate lights, no stickers, no reflectors, no badges.

Offline Moto Madness

• Tricycle
  • So California
  • COG#: 8487
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2014, 11:59:24 pm »

OK, just received the new sensors (PN 21176-0748) and the required Sensor Nuts (PN 92210-0836).  Yes, potted.  Fred, you can forget replacing batteries in these babies.  Here are some pics.

~Moto Madness    2009 Kawasaki Concours 14; Black, ABS
Previous: 2008 BMW F800ST

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11037
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2014, 03:01:33 pm »
Yeah those new sensors suck, also get warning in cold temps. I very much dislike they can't sell the nut with it either. I mean come on already.... >:(

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »
When my TPMS batteries finally go dead, I'm going to take the units out, and replace the batteries, and put them back in. And keep doing that. Not ever going to use the new units.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2014, 03:17:05 pm »
When my TPMS batteries finally go dead, I'm going to take the units out, and replace the batteries, and put them back in. And keep doing that. Not ever going to use the new units.

I'm going the same track. My rear started low battery warnings the last 3 cold days. First time I saw that in 3 1/2 years. The next time the tires get changed it will be new batteries and not warranty.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Moto Madness

• Tricycle
  • So California
  • COG#: 8487
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2014, 03:31:01 pm »
This Friday I have my new tires & sensors installed and will keep the old sensors, solder in new (Panasonic spot welded tab) batteries (Digikey PN P668-ND), and resell them on eBay.  The new potted sensors are the ones my dealer will install.  Hopefully these potted ones will last me at least 5 yrs.
~Moto Madness    2009 Kawasaki Concours 14; Black, ABS
Previous: 2008 BMW F800ST

Offline NMRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2015, 03:15:23 am »
Took Some time today to do a removable battery modification.  Used a battery holder with a snap over arm as Fred H. once posted and cut the end of the unit to make it fit.  Used hot glue to build the area on the end and under the unit.  If it works out I will post more pictures. So far it works perfectly.  Nice thing is you can break the bead on the tire and replace the battery without dismounting the TPMS from the wheel..  I know everyone has done this mod before and I benefited from those that have posted before on this subject.  Thanks for all those that paved the way and thanks to Fred H for the picture of the holder that got me thinking...

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2015, 05:57:40 am »
JC, in regards to tire pressures, I believe the sensors begin to warn of low tire pressure at 32lbs. The C14 runs smooth if the tires are around 40lbs, but gets to feeling a bit sloppy  once they get down around 36 or less. At least that's how I feel with my Pirelli Angels
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline hawkrider

• Tricycle
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:50 am »
Cool threads, I need to do battery changes also, starting with the rear. Both sensors work for now, but since I am changing rear tire, need to do a battery change on that one now..I like the battery holder idea. Black 2009, 13,500mi.

Offline Nate

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2015, 04:08:43 am »
I just did this on my bike with a tire change. Thanks to original poster for excellent write-up and pictures. Saved me a bunch on buying new sensors.

Offline LouSpag

• Scooter
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2015, 12:55:29 pm »
I need to do this as well. I just got the battering from digi last week and I have a set of tires waiting to go on. I just need to wear the current tires a bit more. I hate wasting rubber. I figure around May of this year and I can do tires and tpms batteries and put it behind me for a year or two.

LouSpag
~~~~~~~One Day At a Time~~~~~~~~~
2000 ZX12r
2009 Concours 14
2012 ZX14R

Offline ChrisD

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12153
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:19 am »
Took Some time today to do a removable battery modification.  Used a battery holder with a snap over arm as Fred H. once posted and cut the end of the unit to make it fit.  Used hot glue to build the area on the end and under the unit.  If it works out I will post more pictures. So far it works perfectly.  Nice thing is you can break the bead on the tire and replace the battery without dismounting the TPMS from the wheel..  I know everyone has done this mod before and I benefited from those that have posted before on this subject.  Thanks for all those that paved the way and thanks to Fred H for the picture of the holder that got me thinking...

MMRider, any updates on your MOD?

AMA, ROK, GCE, GTR1400 Owners Group
2012 Candy Arabian Red (Sheba)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2016, 04:59:25 pm »

MMRider, any updates on your MOD?

Likely not...
Last time he was logged in was 12/28/2015....
And he only posted here once... :truce:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline ChrisD

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12153
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2016, 07:58:14 pm »
I know MOB, just a stab in the dark....

AMA, ROK, GCE, GTR1400 Owners Group
2012 Candy Arabian Red (Sheba)

Offline Dwmadsen

• Big Wheels
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:44 pm »
I am soldering a battery into a modified TSP; is the battery polarity sensitive and if so, which side does the POS+ lead solder to?
Also, is anything required of the KPASS system once the TSP is re-mounted?

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2017, 10:20:26 pm »
I am soldering a battery into a modified TSP; is the battery polarity sensitive and if so, which side does the POS+ lead solder to?
Also, is anything required of the KPASS system once the TSP is re-mounted?

Yes, you MUST connect the battery properly.  Reversed it won't work in the best case and will destroy the module in the worst case.

No, no changes needed to re-use the same module on the bike but don't mix up the front vs. rear ones.  They are coded differently.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Dwmadsen

• Big Wheels
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2017, 11:33:21 pm »
Thanks. Since it is not working, I can assume I have the leads reversed.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:25 am »
Thanks. Since it is not working, I can assume I have the leads reversed.

Can't say... don't know what you did,.or how you came to the decision it ain't working......

Did you turn the bike on, with the module out of the wheel, tie a string on the module carefully, and spin the module in a circle for 20 seconds to see if its working? Or did youjust install it and turn the bike on?  Either case, it requires rotation to begin to register... and begin signalling...

Of course, installing it reversed may have been done.. but looking at what you pulled out, and comparing it to the finished job, should tell that right off.. no?

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Online smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:38 pm »
I found it took more than 20 seconds of spinning sometimes before it started to send.

I hooked a battery up backwards once.  In about 5 seconds that it took me to undo it the battery was 1/3 dead.   If it is connected backwards you have to get a new new battery.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2017, 11:37:48 pm »
If you hook up the battery backwards, do you have to spin the string backwards to make it work? :))
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S