Author Topic: TPMS mod to use removable Battery  (Read 52103 times)

Offline spadge

• Tricycle
  • Lovin' this ride
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9872
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: TPMS mod to use removable Battery
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 07:50:10 pm »
Thanks much for the rapid response.  I have the tire changer hunting thru yesterday's trash as we speak.  :)  Does anyone know offhand if the required number also appears on the unit itself?  It would be a hassle to break the tire back down but if it was the only way to retrieve the number.......    Thank you again for the earlier information. 
Scott Padgett
"Concours and GSDs"
Current- 2010 blue C14
/'84 VT500FT/'85 VF1100C/ '99 ZRX1100R/'99 ZG1000/

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 07:53:43 pm »
For the TPMS Sensor yes I believe it is also recorded on the Sensor,  for programming a new key FOB no it's only on the bag
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Ken

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8946
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:05 pm »
Good thread....... unless Kawasaki definitely comes out with a TPMS with a removable battery, the aftermarket hopefully will step up and provides a solution for replacing the battery.  I would prefer Kawasaki come up with a fix so those of us that change our own tires don't have to go to the dealer for a new TPMS but if something doesn't pop up soon, I'll just take mine down on my next tire change and solder in new batteries like Fred did.    >:(
Ken
2009 C14 (Black)
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »
If anyone has a "broken" unit send it to me. I talked it over with my friend who owns a machine shop, and he says we can make one with the snapdragon battery holder integrated into it, no problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Harley Davidson TriGlide Ultra (Rushmore)
2014 TimeOut Deluxe camper trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »
I will have the latest version of the TPMS unit by Wednesday next week. Then I'll design the modification to mount the new battery holder inside it, with a way to access it while its still on the wheel, and we'll make one.

So if I understand, if you get a new one for your C14, you can enter its code so the bike will see it?

Its nice having a full machine shop at your beck and call.  :beerchug:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2011, 04:24:56 pm »
I will have the latest version of the TPMS unit by Wednesday next week. Then I'll design the modification to mount the new battery holder inside it, with a way to access it while its still on the wheel, and we'll make one.

So if I understand, if you get a new one for your C14, you can enter its code so the bike will see it?

Its nice having a full machine shop at your beck and call.  :beerchug:

You can if you have a KSD3 programmer to enter it into the KIPASS ECU. If not, it will have to go to a dealer.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »
You can if you have a KSD3 programmer to enter it into the KIPASS ECU. If not, it will have to go to a dealer.

Thanks Bob. I'm a newbie when it comes to the C14. I'm starting to read all the tech and gear topics here already, just to catch up. Good info, too.

I talked with my dealer, and they gave me the information I need to buy the TPMS units in bulk, at wholesale basically. Talking with my friend he doesn't know yet if we want to do that, or if we want to just CNC a whole new housing from scratch, based on the OEM unit. Once we get the unit this coming week, we'll reverse engineer it and be able to tell how to proceed.

My take on it, I don't care if nobody else ever wants one, because it doesn't cost us much to make a couple of them in between production runs. Just fills downtime on a CNC mill and/or water jet. Since he owns all the machines (he has one of my old Bridgeports actually, when I closed up shop I sold it to him for what I paid for it 20 years ago) there is no "boss" to worry about. Heh.

Offline KawiMick

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8969
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »
John,
  Keep the weight of the unit in mind when you start programing that CNC. :)
I can tell you're just having fun with this.  Good job!
Mick
Tucson/Santa Paula

'84 R100RS(sold) (unsold)
'93 K1100LT 
'96 R1100RT
'10 C14 VIN 000643 
  COG#8969
Born OK the First Time

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 03:00:44 pm »
May be better with a vacuformer for the housings.....   But then again I'm often wrong :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:55 pm »
I hope John comes up with something nice. I love people using their ingenuity.  :bravo_2:

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2011, 07:28:23 pm »
May be better with a vacuformer for the housings.....   But then again I'm often wrong :)
That was my thought when I asked for one below.   :)
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
  • Membership Level: Tech Editor
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »
Weight is a big deal with these sensors, since it throws off tire balance. The lighter it is the better. I think plastic is the way to go for the housing.
Fred H.

Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »
The weight could be compensated for with a bit more wheel weight on the other side of the wheel.

A bigger problem with a metal housing is going to be the antennae on the PC board inside the housing- a metal housing is going to shield the antennae so the bike will probably not get the signal, at least not reliably.

Brian

Weight is a big deal with these sensors, since it throws off tire balance. The lighter it is the better. I think plastic is the way to go for the housing.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
  • Membership Level: Tech Editor
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »
A bigger problem with a metal housing is going to be the antennae on the PC board inside the housing- a metal housing is going to shield the antennae so the bike will probably not get the signal, at least not reliably.

Brian

Good point. I know from testing them that the signal strength of them is very small, and I bet a metal cover would be enough to block it.
Fred H.

Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:07 am »
The simple solution is casting the part in urethane.  I have been doing this for a couple of years now with my experimentation in the EFI stuff. I have been casting both ridgid and pliable urethanes as well as some silicones with much success.  Once a mold is produced in silicone the parts can be reproduced in hard urethane for cheap and quite rapidly as well with total repeatability.  The stuff is pretty cool.  A little expensive on the front (minimal though) but cheaper on the final produced items than vacuum cast/drawn/formed parts.  And you can do it in the kitchen.... when your wife isn't looking that is.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:26 am »
I hope John comes up with something nice. I love people using their ingenuity.  :bravo_2:

I love this kind of stuff. I've done so much prototyping in my life because it is, besides lucrative, great fun. Thanks Bob!

We are considering plastics. They can be CNCed as well. At this point, all I know is a) I am picking the OEM unit up tomorrow at my dealership, and b) we have production capablility.

Weight? You are talking to a guy who is 1/3 Engineer and 2/3 machinist. LOL.

Criteria #1 is to match the dimensions exactly as well as the weight.

The wheel should see no difference between what I produce and the OEM unit.

AKA reverse-engineering.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:24:46 am by Privateer »

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »
Ok, I have a new version TPMS unit. Pretty simple, actually.

This weekend I'll tear it apart and decide how to replace it with one that has a replaceable battery.

Looks like it will require a new plastic case, just a little wider on the battery end, but not enough to matter weight-wise.

When I get a prototype done, I'll post pictures. Well, actually, when I am ready to do a production run, I'll post pictures and take orders. LOL.

Offline Boomer

• Street Cruiser
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »
I am just going to buy a couple of these
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_2032-LDY2.htm
and solder them in with some stiff wire and some heatshrink.
If they last 3-5 years I can deal with unsoldering and resoldering every 3-5 years.
Taking the wheel, tyre and sensor off (and the reverse) is going to be most of the work anyways.

At the same time I will probably be getting the wheels powdercoated black and fitting some 45 degree valve stems.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »
Well well... FINALLY... today the package arrived with my battery connections for my version of the changeable battery housing.  Danged if they don't work as I anticipated so now I have to order a different one and wait again.  SHeesh!  I've had the original sensor and thebatteries for weeks.

As Boomer mentioned below, the tagged batteries are available and wouldn't be too hard for anyone competent with a solder iron to use... but one that you snap a new battery into is still easeir once the sensor is converted.  THEN a caveman could do it. 

We persevere even yet.  It's coming.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Jeremy

• Road Bike
  • I put on my pants for this?!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9899
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »
Well well... FINALLY... today the package arrived with my battery connections for my version of the changeable battery housing.  Danged if they don't work as I anticipated so now I have to order a different one and wait again.  SHeesh!  I've had the original sensor and thebatteries for weeks.

As Boomer mentioned below, the tagged batteries are available and wouldn't be too hard for anyone competent with a solder iron to use... but one that you snap a new battery into is still easeir once the sensor is converted.  THEN a caveman could do it. 

We persevere even yet.  It's coming.

I look forward to seeing your progress.
Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline Ed

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2012, 12:44:50 am »
Had to replace the rear tire, had large cut. Batterys have been low for a time now so I gave it a shot. Was going to order
them on the net but stopped by Batterys Plus today. They spot welded the tabs on the batterys and installed one on the
rear sensor I had with me. I do the front myself. 14$ can't beat that.
83R100RT
84R100RS
12 TuonoV4
04 Tuono
08ZG1400
09SM610ie

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2012, 12:56:31 am »
Got it figured now.  Pix tomorrow.

EDIT TO ADD:
And you're right... $14 is hard to beat.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:00:22 am by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2012, 03:19:21 pm »
First crack at it.  Need new sldering tip, the old one is burned out just about.  Nonetheless, new nickel contacts and re-use the old case.  Doesn't get much easier than this.  The next battery change will take seconds once the sensor is in hand.  I have some other, more trick solutions, but this is the ol' K.I.S.S. approach.

Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »
First crack at it.  Need new sldering tip, the old one is burned out just about.  Nonetheless, new nickel contacts and re-use the old case.  Doesn't get much easier than this.  The next battery change will take seconds once the sensor is in hand.  I have some other, more trick solutions, but this is the ol' K.I.S.S. approach.

Nice work Rev !!!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »
Stupidly simple.  I DID buy some battery holders and can cast new cases to use them, but after looking at the stuff for a while I just yanked the terminals from the holders and twisted them up a bit and soldered them in place of the previous battery straps.  THey actually touch each other until you slip a battery between them.  THe negative terminal MUST be soldered back far enough to not be able to contact the battery on the side or it will short.  The factory case works perfectly to hold it all very solidly.  THis particular case was pranged a bit in the dismantling so it isn't the perfect piece, but the learning curve is passed now.   ::)

EDIT TO ADD:
I have enough parts to do a few more.  If anyone would like to be a BETA tester just send me a sensor and I'll do the deed.  I don;t have a C-14 to be a test bed.  The ONLY things that can go wrong that I can think of are...

1. Solder joint break.  The contacts are not long and so I do not know how vibration may affect the solder joints over time.  It's strong on the bench and everything is packed so tightly in the case that flexing seems impossible, but...
2.  I really think there is no way the battery and contacts can lose connection, but I'm not sure if the battery can somehow move a thousandth or three and cause any micro corrosion or erosion issues long term.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:03:52 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie