Author Topic: TPMS mod to use removable Battery  (Read 50430 times)

Offline Tiny

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
TPMS mod to use removable Battery
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »
Six months ago I did this mod to my front tire but did not take pictures. I now have 4700 miles on the front tire with no problems so I decided to mod the rear sensor as well because its battery has been dead for a while.

The Idea behind this is to make it possible to replace the battery with out removing the sensor or preform any soldering.

We start with the sensor off the bike.

Disassemble sensor

This is the lower cover that will be sliced with a drimmel cut off wheel.

These cuts are still ruff. I used a bir wheel ti clean it up.

This image includes the battery holder. This holder is for a standard 2032 Battery.

Unsolder the old Battery from the sensor. Keep track of which sensor lead is positive.

Solder two wires 22gwa to the battery holder.

Slide battery holder into the end of the sensor body. Solder the copper wires to the sensor leads. The positive lead is labeled with a + on the front side of the circuit board. Then epoxy the battery holder in place. I also used the epoxy to hold my wires to reduce vibration on the solder joints.

Put the cover back on and screw down. Then slide heat shrink over the end of the assembly so that when heated it helps seal where the battery slides in. This will keep excess  debris out of the sensor.

You are done. Remount sensor to rim. I did not have to anything to wake up the sensor. I put 42psi nitrogen in the tire and it started transmitting after about 30 seconds after I rode off.
My bike is a 2008, although my sensors were replaced in 2008 and 2009 (I don't remember if the front or rear were first)

Offline Northern Rider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7727
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: TPMS mod to use removable Battery
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:21:42 pm »
I just dropped my bike off at the dealer for new tires and to replace the fromt TPS sensor whose battery has died.  (six weeks after the 36 month warranty expired - of course)  I was told that Kawasaki has redesigned the TPS sensor unit with a removable battery.  It's about $50 more than the "old" unit.
2008 Concours 14
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
  • Membership Level: Tech Editor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:30:25 pm »
I've soldered in a couple replacements before, but I think I like your idea of using a holder better. Do you have any problems with the battery loosing contact on bumps or coming out of the holder socket? Do you do anything special to insure the battery can't come out of the holder?

I'll have to check Mouser and see if I can find a good holder. Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:34:05 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »
Mouser has a couple different holder sockets here:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/644/2202.pdf

And more here:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/637/2071.pdf

Digikey also has several.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=103K-ND

This has me thinking. I wonder if you could put one like this on the outside of the sensor (on top) and run the wires through the cover and not have to dremel it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:56:06 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:25 pm »
Here is one that has a cover that snaps on to hold the battery in place.

http://www.batteryholders.com/snap-dragon.php

Fred H.

Offline Tiny

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:02:54 pm »
I've soldered in a couple replacements before, but I think I like your idea of using a holder better. Do you have any problems with the battery loosing contact on bumps or coming out of the holder socket? Do you do anything special to insure the battery can't come out of the holder?

Over the last six months, I have not had anything pop up on the dash for the front tire, so if there is a intermittent connection problem I don't see one. The battery is very tight when it slides in, and the way I did the shrink wrap, it helps hold it as well as seal out excess debris.

Offline Tiny

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »
This has me thinking. I wonder if you could put one like this on the outside of the sensor (on top) and run the wires through the cover and not have to dremel it.

It is possible, but there is very little room between the senor and the rim.

Offline Tiny

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:13:10 pm »
Here is one that has a cover that snaps on to hold the battery in place.

This one looks cool, I looked at couple of these top load holders but I could not get them to fit inside the sensor. The existing battery is already against the sides of the sensor case. Every time I lined up the top load battery holder, it seemed that I would have to remove even more plastic from the case than I did.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:18:25 pm »

I was thinking of putting it on TOP of the sensor, not between the sensor and rim.
Fred H.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:49 am »
Wouldn't that make it protrude even further? (Aka making mounting a tire without damaging the sensor all the harder?)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 12:42:03 am »

Here's my $0.02. The Snap Dragon appears to be a SMT (surface mount) type device and will not have a secure mounting method unless you use adhesive. Another option is to locate a holder that uses heat stakes to mount to a PCB, and these can be used to mount the holder to the cover. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:59:48 am by S Smith »
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:39 am »
Or have someone design a replacement housing that is slightly larger that would house a battery holder inside.. (Would probably be a popular farkle as the bikes age.... )
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline dbvolfan1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 02:09:04 am »
I just dropped my bike off at the dealer for new tires and to replace the fromt TPS sensor whose battery has died.  (six weeks after the 36 month warranty expired - of course)  I was told that Kawasaki has redesigned the TPS sensor unit with a removable battery.  It's about $50 more than the "old" unit.

Wow, I hope so.  My dealer was scratching his head the other day wondering why Kawi hadn't yet come out with a unit that had a replacable battery because he has switched out quite a few.
I'll have to hit him up on this b/c they are going to replace mine under warranty next time my tires are replaced.
2008 C14 ABS
2005 FJR1300

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 07:11:17 am »

I was thinking of putting it on TOP of the sensor, not between the sensor and rim.

Fred, Are you thinking outside of the sensor in the wheel itself still? If that's the case, my thought is how would you secure it to the outside of the TPS casing? In order to attach it strong enough so that the centrifugal forces do not tear it off the TPS, it would probably make it near or impossible to change it a second time. Although the forces would push it tighter to the TPS, I'm not so sure the side forces might not be stronger than the forces holding it to the outside. So it more than likely could be torn right off. Which would probably negate the idea in the first place. Or did you have something else in mind that I'm not seeing?

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:44:19 am »
Great ideas for when the unit is out of warranty, when my front sensor was replaced the dealer told me the battery had a 5 year warranty on it. So if the 08 battery goes dead it is covered until 2013. I don't plan on replacing any myself for at least 5 years.
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 9047
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:47 am »
Some of the holder bases have stakes on them.  If you found one of those you would just have  3 or 4 small holes in the case to allow the stakes to go through the sensor casing.  Once assembled it would be next to impossible for the battery holder to come off during riding.
Lonnie 

Offline Tiny

• Big Wheels
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
Centrifugal force is why I wanted to keep the cutting of the case to a minimum. The snap dragon (the one that has a door to hold the battery) looks like It would fit between the rim and sensor because of its low profile, but it would be tight.  I wish I would have found it before I did this mod so I could have seen the fitment. The other top load holders were where to tall. I had one that was round with a clip on top and the solder sakes on the bottom, but the clip touched the rim.
As far as adhesive to secure the holder, I knew this was a must. I used a two part 5 min epoxy to repair and strengthen.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 02:27:44 pm »
Some of the holder bases have stakes on them.  If you found one of those you would just have  3 or 4 small holes in the case to allow the stakes to go through the sensor casing.  Once assembled it would be next to impossible for the battery holder to come off during riding.

Exactly my thinking as well. My thoughts were to melt three small holes in the TOP of the case, and run the stakes down through them and solder wires on the other side, and use a bit of epoxy or double sided adhesive to attach the holder to the top of the sensor.

Yes, it would stick up a little higher and you would have to be careful when mounting tires, but you already have to be careful when doing that anyway.

But in looking back at how the OP modified his sensor, it looks his method is solid and doesn't alter the size of the sensor, and it appears to secure the battery well.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:34:36 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Offline Ken

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8946
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »

Northern Rider (Fred),.......Can you get your dealer to give you the P/N for the redesigned TPS sensor with the removable battery and share it with us.   :c017:
Ken
2009 C14 (Black)
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Offline Northern Rider

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 7727
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 04:09:01 pm »
Will do Ken.  I am picking up my bike later on this week and will post the part # for the new and improved TPS sensor with a removable battery.
2008 Concours 14
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada

Offline Ken

• Training Wheels
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 09:06:13 pm »
Will do Ken.  I am picking up my bike later on this week and will post the part # for the new and improved TPS sensor with a removable battery.

Thanks Fred!!   :c017:
Ken
2009 C14 (Black)

Offline KawiMick

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 8969
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:04 pm »
Ken,
  I can't tell when it went 'active' but the tpms part number is currently 21176-0125 on the 2012 C14 parts fiche.  The older part numbers -0071 and -0107 have been superseded to the new number.   

UPDATE: The 0125 TPMS does NOT have a replaceable battery.  Soldered just like the originals. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:13:41 pm by KawiMick, Reason: Updated info on P/N »
Mick
Tucson/Santa Paula

'84 R100RS(sold) (unsold)
'93 K1100LT 
'96 R1100RT
'10 C14 VIN 000643 
  COG#8969
Born OK the First Time

Offline Ken

• Training Wheels
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 03:15:35 pm »
Ken,
  I can't tell when it went 'active' but the tpms part number is currently 21176-0125 on the 2012 C14 parts fiche.  The older part numbers -0071 and -0107 have been superseded to the new number.

Humph.....very interesting.   :motonoises:
Ken
2009 C14 (Black)

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:46 am »
21176-0125 is the part number specced for the 2010 as well....I wonder if that is a change Kawis  made for 2010+

Anyone with a 2010 want to disassemble the TPMS to see if the battery is truly changable? :)

Offline KawiMick

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 8969
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:48 am »
21176-0125 is the part number specced for the 2010 as well....I wonder if that is a change Kawis  made for 2010+

Anyone with a 2010 want to disassemble the TPMS to see if the battery is truly changable? :)

I've had both of mine off the rim and they are NOT the replaceable battery type.
BUT, the next time I go in there, I may just add this battery holder in the 101K style from DigiKey.  It has long standoffs that I could insert into three holes I drill in the housing of the TPMS sensor. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:55:11 pm by KawiMick »
Mick
Tucson/Santa Paula

'84 R100RS(sold) (unsold)
'93 K1100LT 
'96 R1100RT
'10 C14 VIN 000643 
  COG#8969
Born OK the First Time