Author Topic: TPMS Question  (Read 542 times)

Offline MobileWill

• Tricycle
    • MobileWill Blog
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
TPMS Question
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:55:32 pm »
I just picked up a Concours14 and it has the old style TPMS. The batteries are low and I was going to have them replaced under warranty. Now that I realized I have the old style will the dealer let me keep the old ones so I can use later when I am not under warranty? Or what would be the best move forward? How does the TPMS sensors pair with the bike? Will installing new ones make the old ones not able to work again with the bike?

Thanks. I should get a call from the dealer today if they are going to cover the TPMS and fork leaking.
William G
2012 Concours https://mobilewill.us

Offline Syxxphive

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: TPMS Question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:47:29 pm »
The dealer will toss the old ones. Don’t have them replace them. You can break the bead off the tire and pull the TPMS out by yourself and change the battery in it. The new ones are potted and not serviceable. If they replace with new, they are paired to the bike through KDS and your old ones will no longer work.

Just live the low battery warnings until the battery totally dies, or just replace it yourself. Easy enough if you’ve got a buddy with an air compressor.

Offline MobileWill

• Tricycle
    • MobileWill Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:54:14 pm »
What battery does it take?
William G

Online oldnslo_MO

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:54:55 pm »
The dealer will toss the old ones. Don’t have them replace them. You can break the bead off the tire and pull the TPMS out by yourself and change the battery in it. The new ones are potted and not serviceable. If they replace with new, they are paired to the bike through KDS and your old ones will no longer work.

Just live the low battery warnings until the battery totally dies, or just replace it yourself. Easy enough if you’ve got a buddy with an air compressor.
if dealer replaces on warranty , let them, do it. old sensors are worthless after mew ones installed.new ones have better battery life , had them installed on my 09 and they lasted for 84k miles, when i sold the bike. :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Syxxphive

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:56:20 pm »
I believe a CR2032 but don’t quote me on that. They are soldered in, so you’ll need to purchase batteries online with solder tabs already attached. Soldering directly to a new battery will basically destroy it. They don’t do so well with heat.

Offline Freddy

• Moped
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:09:45 pm »
I use CR2032VC - it has tabs on it
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline MobileWill

• Tricycle
    • MobileWill Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:15:52 pm »
I use CR2032VC - it has tabs on it

Thanks! Sounds like what is more of a pain is just getting to the sensor.
William G

Offline DiverRay

• Tricycle
  • Ride Safe, Ride Fast
  • COG#: 12498
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:42:33 am »
I just replaced the batteries on my 2011. I did NOT use the CR2032VC, but 2032's from the local electronics store with two wires soldered to the battery. Took me almost an hour for both units, and they are working well. My BMW had the "potted" style, and I was able to replace the battery on those as well, but it took about 2.5 hours. I LIKE the "old" style, as they are easy to work with and on.
Oh, I replaced the batteries when I had new tires installed.
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Concours
1978 XS1100 Yamaha (winter project)

Offline Baggerjohn

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 12:20:13 pm »
When was the switch made to the potted style as OEM production run fitment?

Recently had Fred replace the batteries in my '08's sensors. The ones in my '12 keep on going just fine but eventually will need attention...

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 03:22:07 pm »

Recently had Fred replace the batteries in my '08's sensors. The ones in my '12 keep on going just fine but eventually will need attention...

The switch was made sometime during the 2013 model year.  I have an early 2013 model with the old style but later 2013's have the new style. So far I haven't heard of any of the new style potted sensors failing.

Offline MobileWill

• Tricycle
    • MobileWill Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:59 pm »

The switch was made sometime during the 2013 model year.  I have an early 2013 model with the old style but later 2013's have the new style. So far I haven't heard of any of the new style potted sensors failing.

Hmm... I just got word that everything will be covered under warranty including the fork oil leak and parts are in stock. I like the idea of being able to replace the batteries but not if I am doing it all the time. So its temping to let them replace it under warranty and hopefully be able to keep the old ones just in case. It sounds like there must of been issues with them and switched to a new style that last a lot longer.
William G

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 10:13:29 pm »

Hmm... I just got word that everything will be covered under warranty including the fork oil leak and parts are in stock. I like the idea of being able to replace the batteries but not if I am doing it all the time. So its temping to let them replace it under warranty and hopefully be able to keep the old ones just in case. It sounds like there must of been issues with them and switched to a new style that last a lot longer.

Old style worked fine, no issue with them, they had a "5 year" warrenty/life expectancy, which was well defined by Kaw from the start...
Now, think about this, when the actual TPS unit was manufactured, may have been a year prior to installation in the bikes first released.. so add that into the equation.
My '08 purchased spankin' new 7/7/07 sensors lasted until 2012, and were replaced under my extended KPP warranty, for free.... luckily at that time, they were replaced with the original style ones, which I can service when I need to... and are working fine so far...
My bike was always stored in a non heated garage also. There was nothing wrong with the originalnsensor design... it worked...

BUT.... Kaw saw that we were cracking into the sensors on early failed ones, and replacing the batteries... and followed up with the sefond gen sensor.. not because it was better, just because it forces you to buy a new one at Kaw prices... they always want the money for upkeep, and proved it by that simple change...
Which by the way, came out right after eople here began doing their own battery replacements...

Soooooo.... you bet yer sweet bippy they saw it here, and made the change, to keep that parts income cash flowing...
Most of the time I praise Kaw for using us as an information exchange, and all the "improvements" that have come about are flearly a result of them keeping a finger on the pulse of this group, as owners... but with regard to the TPS modules, they put the "wrong finger" on the pulse point, and pretty much screwed everyone by their "improvements"... nuff said..

When I worked out the deal with Ultimate Cycle on a great priced KPP extension, which i shared with this group, this was a big concern, as the price of the 3 year plan was just about equal to the cost of a pair of sensors..
Had I been posed with "new style sensors" when mine eventually failed, even for free, I would have passed on them.. luckily my replacement timing was to my advantage...

If you get replacements under warranty, kiss the idea of getting the old ones back, goodbye, as they will not give them back to you.. Kaw has mandated that they must keep them, and either send them back, or destroy them, so unless you pass a case of beer to the Tech, you ain't getting the old ones when theynreplace them.

The new ones are no better than the gen one version...they are just "new"... that said, don't give up your old sensors, and the ability to fix them, for $10..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:27:19 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW