Author Topic: TPS removal advice  (Read 1226 times)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
TPS removal advice
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »
 Hey guys I know this has been talked about  but Im trying to understand what happens when you remove the tps s  altogether and use regular valve stems.
  Right now I have front sensor with a weak battery and it blows up my dash until it warms up .
 Im getting ready to change tires and I have some new batteries ready. I know, just change the batteries and go right?
 I can do that but my other choice is do away with the pesky things altogether.
 So if I do get rid of them what happens?
 If it just a matter of the air pressure screen showing lines then fine. but if the dash continually flashes then bad .
 Thanks for any help

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: TPS removal advice
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:34:29 pm »
Your dash will be normal. It will just show dashes instead of a pressure reading.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 10:42:48 pm »
it won't flash, you will just get the --- thing...
if you do remove them, mark them as to which is front/rear, and also "trace" the outline on the inside of the rim, before pulling them off.... because everyone forgets, and comes back asking which way they face in rotation...

so, install metal stems, with rubber seals while you do the battery swap, and make sure to swap the batts polarity correct, and spin test them next to the bike before re install

and your golden...

no red warning lights... just ---
 :great: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

I will say, that never having a bike until this one, with this feature, and having that "low tire" warning pop up in time for me to stop, and repair a puncture in "time", in an area safe to do a repair; not just once, but 3 times so far... is priceless... knowing that if I had not known, just 20 more miles down the road in BFE (if I didn't wreck, or have the tire plug/compressor kit I always carry) I'd be screwed...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:52:30 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:47:13 pm »
I can hardly wait to remove mine at the end of my A-spec's life
"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 10:52:41 pm »
Funny you said trace the direction MOB .. when i pulled the front a while back to resolder a bad joint i didn't realize the direction was important. I did the job and all was well but only by luck . i could have easily put it back backwards .
 Its good to know removing them will not give you a continually flashing screen. Im riding the fence on keeping them or not. 

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:56:59 pm »
I can hardly wait to remove mine at the end of my A-spec's life

enjoy... best of luck...

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:00:42 pm »
BTW

Murph's C14 seals are for the 1st Gen TPS for the C14, GARY
Murph's doesn't offer any valve stems for the 08-forward C14's, MURPH

Murph is creating a new website and will take steps to clarify such things, MURPH
"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:04:42 pm »
Funny you said trace the direction MOB .. when i pulled the front a while back to resolder a bad joint i didn't realize the direction was important. I did the job and all was well but only by luck . i could have easily put it back backwards .
 Its good to know removing them will not give you a continually flashing screen. Im riding the fence on keeping them or not.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I've been told it really didn't matter, and kinda believe that.. but I don't mess like that.. and if it was installed by Kaw, and removed by me, I install it like Kaw did..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:15:38 pm »
BTW

Murph's C14 seals are for the 1st Gen TPS for the C14, GARY
Murph's doesn't offer any valve stems for the 08-forward C14's, MURPH

Murph is creating a new website and will take steps to clarify such things, MURPH

I guess you never read, nor absorbed what I responded to in a post you made similar if not identical questions about...

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/tpms-out-90deg-valve-stem-in/

the RIMS are not changed, the same hole, and counterbore and configuration, it's  identical.... and a O/P is doing a  removal (and battery replacement....or not replacing...  per post #1)... that in't an issue.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 11:18:35 pm »
All excellent info, thanks for the reminder! I'll be replacing batteries this year when the Angel GT's wear out. And +100 for priceless reminder from MOB on the low tire warning, it has saved me 3 times as well and can't imagine another bike without TPS. While it may be a hassle to skip or not deal with replacing batteries, it truly can save your hide down the road!  :beerchug:

2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 03:41:55 am »
if you do remove them, mark them as to which is front/rear, and also "trace" the outline on the inside of the rim, before pulling them off.... because everyone forgets, and comes back asking which way they face in rotation...

According to my 08/09 FSM, Page 10-16, 3rd complete sentence states the sensor is installed parallel to the rim in EITHER DIRECTION. I personally care about putting things back the way they were but in this case it appears it doesn't matter which way they face.

Since I'm working on taking the sensors out to have the batteries replaced I thought I would see what the FSM had to say about the direction when it comes time to install. It also called out the torque. 40 inch pounds. Will have to see if the inch pound torque wrench goes that low.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline konehead

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9065
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 01:39:35 pm »
I had an issue with direction as well. Had reinstalled 180 to how they were installed and the rear didnt work. Swapped it around and all is well. Even tho someone on another tpms thread pointed out the FSM says parallel with the rim. And that direction doesnt matter.

I used the on the rim method with the clamps method.  Works great.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 03:03:32 am »
OK so which way does it go? The rounded part or flat part going in the direction of the tire? 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Online Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:40 am »
On my front wheel with the sensor at the front, the flat end is pointed down.
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 12:28:19 pm »
I presume additional wheel weight will need to added to correct for loss of mass from the sensor.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 08:44:48 pm »
I presume additional wheel weight will need to added to correct for loss of mass from the sensor.

maybe/maybe not... as you peel the tire off, and replace it, the tire can be rotated to help counteract that.. a tires are not perfect.. used to be a standard "mark" on the rim of the tire, denoting the "light spot", many tires today are pretty well balanced now, and many don't have a "light spot mark" any more.. so when you go to balance, it's easy to rotate the tire on the rim (if it is not fully inflated, and bead completely sealed/popped in) to accomodate... I always check the "naked rim balance", and remove any exiting weights before doing this anyway.. marking the "heavy spot" of the rim before mounting the new tire...(and saving those nap on weights for possible later use).
Out of 7 "pairs" of tires, I have actually had 2 tires (not in the same set), that balanced without weights, and only needed me to rotate the tire on the rim to gain the balance. And that is with TPS installed thru all those sets.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »
OK so which way does it go? The rounded part or flat part going in the direction of the tire?

Truthfully Tim, I cannot remember as I never removed them myself...

I did however tell the Tech that replaced mine under the KPP/gtpp to ue a "Sharpy marker" and outline the round end, and the flat end before he removed them... (which I did prior, on a tire swap... just wanted him to do it again..)
and the marks were done, which I saw on the last set of tires I spooned on... just never payed attention to "document" the direction.

The '08-'09 book is not clear at all, and does not "say" but decoding it by looking at all the pictures, and noting the location of that "external lug surface" on the rim, where the airvalve is shown, it is a guessing game, but next time I pull tires, I'll note it.. a I know mine were marked in the "as shipped" state...

and all but 1 of these "snipped" pictures (the last one is the odd one..), show it having the rounded edge down, on the front of the rim, when observed from the left with regard to the shape, and the "external valve lug" of the rims... (which seems to be opposite of what Hoss' picture shows)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:08:14 pm »
 I wish i had seen this last night .. I had my rear wheel off last night and i even outlined the direction but Im not sure from here which way it was. I think the rounded part was the leading edge which is opposite from Hoss's .  Ill have the front wheel off tomorrow so ill make sure to note the direction.
2008 C-14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 10:42:45 pm »
I wish i had seen this last night .. I had my rear wheel off last night and i even outlined the direction but Im not sure from here which way it was. I think the rounded part was the leading edge which is opposite from Hoss's .  Ill have the front wheel off tomorrow so ill make sure to note the direction.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

glad I'm not the only one to say, I didn't really notice....DOH... ;) :) :) :rotflmao:

let us know :great: :great:

Online Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 11:07:18 pm »
I don't believe mine have ever been replaced. It's on a 2012 with 7300 miles. Interestingly enough, the rear tpms showed low battery 2 weeks after replacing the front but I have not gotten to it yet.
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:56 pm »
 :great: :great: :great:

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 07:20:55 pm »
Ok I had the front apart today. The round part is the leading edge.  If the sensor is on top of the wheel the round part is foward.
2008 C-14

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 07:38:31 pm »
Interesting. When I took the sensor off of my rear wheel it was the flat side going forward. And this sensor at ten years old last December, I bought her in DEC 08, was a bit grumpy but it would still read when the tire got good and warmed up. During the Two Sisters Rally in OR, I got 3 flat lines for the rear tire and figured it had filly died.  Next time out the next day it started reading again. The front had died long ago.  Unfortunately I was not smart enough to think about which way it went on the front wheel when I took it off the front. Stay warm, Tim

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 09:08:15 pm »
 Since its been raining like forever here in north ga I wasn't able to test the TPMs today. I did run the bike in the center stand in gear trying to see a rear tire reading.  It didn't show anything .
  May just be that I need to ride it for them to re connect and read or its possible I got polarity wrong.  It did not flash a low battery warning , just dashes. Maybe the rain will give me a break tomorrow and I can test.
2008 C-14

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 07:36:02 pm »
Test rode today . Both sensors started reading almost immediately on the road. Funny how the rear would not read on the centerstand spinning in gear.
2008 C-14