Author Topic: TPS Sensor Mod/Hack  (Read 415 times)

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
  • Membership Level: Active
TPS Sensor Mod/Hack
« on: December 16, 2018, 10:00:00 pm »
Hello All,

If this has been tried before please let me know before I commit the time. I am hoping to try to install a battery holder into the TPS plastic shell so that a battery replacement does not require soldering (I know soldering is easy and perhaps I have too much time on my hands). Hopefully I can find some inexpensive TPS sensors on Ebay so I do not have to mod the ones on my bike. With that said does anyone have TPS sensors they are willing to sell?
CDA #0542

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: TPS Sensor Mod/Hack
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 10:05:45 pm »
Assume you mean TMPS??
TPS is Throttle Position Sensor.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:16:42 pm »
Should probably move this to the C14 section.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:19:24 pm »
Assume you mean TMPS??

Ride safe, Ted
TMPS?

as there is no TPS
Throttle Position Sensor

Or

TPS
Tire Pressure Sensor
referred to in manual as
Tire Pressure Measurement Sensor (TPMS)
 :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

not to be confused with PMS... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

on a C10... and assuming from the content of the post, its the latter;

still needs to be in the C14 section.

but the short answer for you Dan, is Yes, a couple have tried external 'holders", but they still need to be soldered into the internal circuit, offering little benefit, and so far all those that did try to "convert" in this manner, never came back and closed it out after doing the deed..so, the "fix" was never verified over time, and a second batt installed later in time downstream, to verify and make it something to consider; all in all the DigiKey batts, with solder tabs, placed inside correctly are the best reliability. Over the years I've collected many "snipped" links and such, to batt holders, and basically all you do by attempting it, is making a tougher connection, limited reliability holder, that can fail, and adding more weight in one spot on the tire as a result.(by trying to make the add on reliable using adhesives, heat shrink, and other goopy things.)

ride safe, :great:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:41:48 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 10:51:52 pm »
Thank you everyone for your quick replies. As Murphys law would have it I found old posts where members did solder a battery holder into the TPMS sensors. After the movie Office Space my wife and I always joke about TPS reports and that shorthand translated to this post. Thank you for keeping me honest.
CDA #0542

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:22:44 pm »
Thank you everyone for your quick replies. As Murphys law would have it I found old posts where members did solder a battery holder into the TPMS sensors. After the movie Office Space my wife and I always joke about TPS reports and that shorthand translated to this post. Thank you for keeping me honest.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great:

one of my favorite's
wife bought me 'the Kit' when it came out...

https://www.amazon.com/Office-Space-Kit-Sarah-OBrien/dp/0762428112

I was forced to take down the "is this good for the company" sign about 10 minutes after I put it up... still, I pinned it on my "cube wall"... we used to play "jump to the conclusions" all the time, actually made a big 8x10 ft board on the shop floor, and had many hours of fun, sending the "entitled" higher-up's to go use it...
Still wear the buttons of 'flair' on occasions...

we even took it to the point of buying a Hula-Hoop, and a bag of Beggi'n Bits dog treats, which we had setting on the entrance to our engineering "cube section", which we made every idiot that wanted us to do something stupid, to make them look good, and give them Brownie Points for, to utilize; they had to "jump thru the hoop", and then catch the "beggin'Bits" before we would even entertain listening to the questions... before we barraged them with our "computer controlled foamy rocket blasters" (5 of us had them), and sent them running..

we all had them on our computers,
https://www.vat19.com/item/usb-missile-launcher

but, we did actually do productive work... surprisingly...
later, we got Drone technology, and chased them down the halls using Mini Copter Drones...
http://amazingtechdepot.com/hm92.html

we got scolded about those.
 :)) :)) >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:34:20 pm »
Assume you mean TMPS??

Ride safe, Ted
TMPS?

as there is no TPS
Throttle Position Sensor there is a Main Throttle Sensor that in essence is a throttle position sensor..if you are only questioning the incorrect nomenclature used then you are correct, but there is throttle sensor that does sense  throttle position and feeds the ecu... :)

Or

TPS
Tire Pressure Sensor
referred to in manual as
Tire Pressure Measurement Sensor (TPMS)
 :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

not to be confused with PMS... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

on a C10... and assuming from the content of the post, its the latter;

still needs to be in the C14 section.

but the short answer for you Dan, is Yes, a couple have tried external 'holders", but they still need to be soldered into the internal circuit, offering little benefit, and so far all those that did try to "convert" in this manner, never came back and closed it out after doing the deed..so, the "fix" was never verified over time, and a second batt installed later in time downstream, to verify and make it something to consider; all in all the DigiKey batts, with solder tabs, placed inside correctly are the best reliability. Over the years I've collected many "snipped" links and such, to batt holders, and basically all you do by attempting it, is making a tougher connection, limited reliability holder, that can fail, and adding more weight in one spot on the tire as a result.(by trying to make the add on reliable using adhesives, heat shrink, and other goopy things.)

ride safe, :great:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:53:02 am »
Too bad... we don't have admin rights. Maybe I can write as ticket to get the control installed on my PC...