Author Topic: TPS- The oe goody worth having  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
TPS- The oe goody worth having
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:21:00 pm »
It's no secret to anybody that's been on the forum for a while, the I'm one of if not "The Anti KIPASS".    I've never really liked unnecessary toys too much. But I've always liked the TPS. That's one I felt was worth having, along with ABS. Well yesterday the system worked for me. I'm not sure if I'm happy about it or not.    While on my three day western Penn trip I got a chance to try it out. Yesterday after lunch, we fueled up and got on the road. Well I had 44 PSI in both tires and all was good. I look down a minute later and the front is down to 39 PSI. I flag down one of the riders and pull over. Sure enough, I have a roofing nail in the front tire. Well of course the tire is still fairly new. So I plug the tire and were good again. We all checked our tires to make sure no body else had a nail. My buddy asked about the TPS, if it has an alarm. I told him yes, but I didn't get that low before I noticed it and pulled over. But they all really like the system. So away we went.   About an hour later, I check my pressures, all good. A few seconds later the red light comes on. Oh $h!t, what now. I look down and tire pressure warning is flashing. Great, the plug let loose. But I look again and it's the rear pressure in the low thirties. With in a half mile or so ,I find a safe place to pull over. (Of course it's just starting to rain, rain really hard). I'm already down to 16 pounds. not good. So I abandon the bike and duck under a pine tree. Well at least I stayed dry!     Well after the ten minute storm, I venture out to check the problem. Now I can't see anything in the tire. I had to pump up the tire to pour some bottled water on it, so I can find the leak. It has to big good size to drop pressure that quick. Well after two bottles of water I found the slice, dead center in the thickest part of the tire. Well I was lucky, and plug number two sealed that hole. Now I have to replace both tires when I get home, this really sucks!    The only thing not quite so bad is that the rear was 2/3 worn. So it would need a new tire next month anyway. But I hate having to replace tires well before they need it.   So the suns out now. We again get on our way. Ten minutes later were in another downpour. It went on for a long time. Of course there's no where safe on this back road to pull over for gear. By the time we found a spot, we were soaked. Of course ten minutes later it stopped raining. Some of the guy's remove their clothes and just wore the rain gear. I myself just road the 45 minutes back to the hotel. I've had enough fun for one day. The rest went to our friends cabin for dinner. My dinner was a pizza in the room.   Anyway, the events of my day confirmed my thoughts about the TPS. Unlike KIPASS, I feel it's a good thing. Unnecessary maybe, but worth having. It proved to be a safety enhancement like the ABS. It might have saved me from something worse than replacing two tires.        Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak  

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:53:00 pm »
The TPS probably saved me from an accident the very first day I owned the bike. I ran over something when I went over a set of railroad tracks that put a puncture in the rear tire, and it started loosing pressure fast. The red light came on and really got my attention, and I saw my pressure was around 28psi and going down. I pulled over as soon as I could, and by the time I got to a stop, the tire was totally flat. In another 100ft, I would have crossed over a second set of pretty rough railroad tracks, and it would have been flat by the time I hit them. At the very least, I would have ruined the rim on a 1 day old bike. At the worst, I would have gone down.    My new Honda Goldwing also has TPS on it, and I have to tell you, it is not nearly as well implemented. It has no pressure read out, just an idiot light warning, and the dash light is so dim, you can't even tell if it is on in the daylight. Be thankful Kawasaki put that BRIGHT RED LIGHT on the dash and that they saw fit to let you see the actual pressure.  
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline khancours

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9168
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:00 am »
Sorry to hear all the tire troubles but I must say this is both comforting and disturbing to hear.    Comforting- because I am glad to know the TPS does actually alert you when pressure drops to an unsafe level.     Disturbing- because when I asked not only the Service Writer, but the Service Mgr AND the tech about the TPS and do they alert you, they ALL said "No, it does not alert you .  It just gives you the pressure reading."      That coming from the same group of people I asked if there was anything I needed to do to calibrate the TPS and their response:  "I should probably do what they needed to do and read the manual."  Sadly enough both my TPS are defective off the showroom floor, but that hasn't stopped me from putting 1600+ miles on her in the 2 weeks we've been getting to know one another. :)  

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:19:00 am »
Unlike KIPASS, I feel it's a good thing.
   That your bike was still in its parking spot next morning shows that KIPASS is a good thing.  

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:57:00 pm »
Yes it was still there. But I'm sure the two Harley's and the top of the line Gold Wing would have been more at risk anyway. Besides, even if I left the fob for them, they wouldn't take it. They would probably be afraid that it would strand them and they might get caught.  ;p    Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak  

Offline StuckinOhio

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7856
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:15:00 pm »
Well, I am sure anxious to have my TPS sensors fixed.  Of course mine didnt work since the beginning.  Waiting on the dealer to get them in.    Lewis  
2003 Concours  COG member# 7856  http://community.webshots.com/user/lsdozer?

Offline Iceman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8639
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:07:00 pm »
Ha ha, when I bought my '09 the dealer told me TPS was dropped for '09 so imagine my surprise when I found it on the display of course it didn't work but that has since been corrected. It has alerted me recently to a back tire leak but with 5000 mi it's almost time for a new one anyway.