Author Topic: Trailering a 2016 C14  (Read 3650 times)

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12593
  • Membership Level: Active
Trailering a 2016 C14
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:32 pm »
I have the distinct honor of owning a in-the-box C14 and living in Colorado's high country (altitude not pot).
I will have to trailer it home due to weather here. I have an enclosed trailer for this purpose.
I usually use a 4 tie-down system (2front 2rear) but wanting 6 as overkill. Bags off.
As you know, the C14 is 700lbs.
I have canyon-dancers as well but I'm just being overly cautious being that it is a 160 mile trip and most of that is mountain twists and turns.
I believe I will have to install 2 additional anchor points, accurately placed,

Is there clearance between the front fender and fairing to run a nylon strap through the lower triple clamp and down to a floor anchor on each side?

"Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from making bad decisions."
Mark Twain

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Trailering a 2016 C14
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:53 pm »
I discourage use of Canyon Dancer style tie downs.  The C14 bars are Aluminum and quite long and can snap if overstressed. 

Use soft-ties looped around the lower triple-tree clamps taking care to avoid the brake lines.  Attach these to tie-downs below and forward of the front axle.

For the rear I like to just loop a single strap over the final drive housing.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
If you don't have a front chock - you can use the Canyon Dancer tie downs but only slightly tighten and Don't pull hard on them at all and you will be OK.

I have also used the soft loops to tie down the front end too.

I use a Baxley Front Stand and don't really do anything else up front. Because I have Canyon Cages front and rear I use those bars to tie down the rest of the bike.

Not know what tie down points you have in your trailer - So I don't know if you can take the seat off and put a towel up by the gas tank and then strap that down to help keep it from bouncing.  I do that on my lift.

After you go 10 miles or so stop and check - then check again at 50 miles and if nothing has changed you should be fine for the next 130.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:08:39 pm »
I have the distinct honor of owning a in-the-box C14 and living in Colorado's high country (altitude not pot).
I will have to trailer it home due to weather here. I have an enclosed trailer for this purpose.
I usually use a 4 tie-down system (2front 2rear) but wanting 6 as overkill. Bags off.
As you know, the C14 is 700lbs.
I have canyon-dancers as well but I'm just being overly cautious being that it is a 160 mile trip and most of that is mountain twists and turns.
I believe I will have to install 2 additional anchor points, accurately placed,

Is there clearance between the front fender and fairing to run a nylon strap through the lower triple clamp and down to a floor anchor on each side?

Man I tore it up in your state last year!

Canyon Dancers will break your bars. Skip it, even as a back-up, in my opinion. 

You Have an enclosed trailer and a place to mount a wheel chock.  DO IT.  Even if its a temporary one for a short trip.  You gotta have something for that weight to push against, IMO. Its too heavy to not have it secured from rolling forward.  I suppose you could zip tie the front brake, but I'm not sure thats a good idea for more than a short trip either.

I think I used about 6 straps myself, but with a chock, on my trailer.

Get some tie down extensions if you have time.  Trying to throw that HOOK on a strap over your tree on that thing is not much fun.  They are a few dollars on Amazon.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/tie-down-for-trailering-c14/msg537444/#msg537444

See how I trailer mine at the above thread.

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:32 pm »
Harbor freight whee chock (baxley copy) bolted down with lag bolts. It has eyelets on the end. I run soft ties around the lower triple clamp and strap to the chock. Soft ties thru the rear peg mounts to etrac on the floor. Those are barely tight. Just to keep her from dancing side to side. On the to-do list is add two more eyelets on the chock next to the wheel stop so I can run 4 straps up front.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:21:56 pm »
Harbor freight whee chock (baxley copy) bolted down with lag bolts. It has eyelets on the end. I run soft ties around the lower triple clamp and strap to the chock. Soft ties thru the rear peg mounts to etrac on the floor. Those are barely tight. Just to keep her from dancing side to side. On the to-do list is add two more eyelets on the chock next to the wheel stop so I can run 4 straps up front.

Northern tool has a really nice looking front wheel mount as well. I almost bought one last year. Looks like it would hold up the bike on it's own in the garage.

Also, Pitbull makes these mounts, which I'll likely snag a couple for my trailer. 

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:26:46 am »
I apologize. I failed to mention that I do have a WPS wheel chock installed.
I haul my dirt bikes in that trailer.
This is my 2nd C14. My first was a 2008 that I sold. This is the first time I will have trailered a C14.
The fairings are slightly different, 2008 to 2016.
I'm quite sure from your input that I will be able to "strap" through the triple clamp. I bought two additional floor anchors that I will install IF I need accurate tie-down positions.
The dealer trailers his bikes using Canyondancers but he's only traveling 10's of miles. I typically do not compress the suspension much when strapped down. Compressed 2" or so.
So I'm going with 6 straps cause it would suck to open the trailer and see a spilt C14.

BTW I like moondust gray 2016 more than blue 2017. Just sayin'.

I really appreciate your attention and input. Thank you!
I'll post a pic of her loaded in the trailer.

Mark Twain

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:39 am »
I apologize. I failed to mention that I do have a WPS wheel chock installed.
I haul my dirt bikes in that trailer.
This is my 2nd C14. My first was a 2008 that I sold. This is the first time I will have trailered a C14.
The fairings are slightly different, 2008 to 2016.
I'm quite sure from your input that I will be able to "strap" through the triple clamp. I bought two additional floor anchors that I will install IF I need accurate tie-down positions.
The dealer trailers his bikes using Canyondancers but he's only traveling 10's of miles. I typically do not compress the suspension much when strapped down. Compressed 2" or so.
So I'm going with 6 straps cause it would suck to open the trailer and see a spilt C14.

I really appreciate your attention and input. Thank you!
I'll post a pic of her loaded in the trailer.

I'm surprised a dealer would put canyon dancers on a bike like this. It'll break the bars.  Theres pix of them busted on the net.

Anyways, look at my photos from the other thread. I went to Arkansas and back, 1200 miles. didn;t budge.

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:09 pm »

Nearly as pretty as the 2011 (only) Atomic Silver.

Welcome back to C14s from Parker.
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline n.e.mich

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »
I have towed mine several thousand miles in my enclosed trailer, 6-7  times so far, always with two straps and a canyon dancer, two more on the triple tree, and two on the passenger foot peg mounts. Of course, not a ton of pressure on the canyon dancer loops (common sense), never an issue.

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »
Yessiree JTX
That is exactly the tie down scenario I'm planning. The triple clamp pic is very helpful. I looked at your pics on my phone the other day and figured I was good with the triple clamps. I have the extenders...everything.
Now I just need the snow to fall, melt away and drive to the front range.
I appreciate you posting the pic link JTX
Thanks

Mark Twain

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »

Thanks

I've always wanted Kaw to reintroduce previous colors like the 2008 gray.
I heard the same comment from several folks regarding the 08, "nice BMW"!
I'm not a blue or green bike guy.
Mark Twain

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 02:05:48 pm »

Thanks

I've always wanted Kaw to reintroduce previous colors like the 2008 gray.
I heard the same comment from several folks regarding the 08, "nice BMW"!
I'm not a blue or green bike guy.

I had a Moondust Connie , liked it better then the other colors, just saw a 2017  blue Connie  and no my decision is going to be tougher to make!

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 02:07:58 pm »
I have towed mine several thousand miles in my enclosed trailer, 6-7  times so far, always with two straps and a canyon dancer, two more on the triple tree, and two on the passenger foot peg mounts. Of course, not a ton of pressure on the canyon dancer loops (common sense), never an issue.

The dealer I'm buying this '16 from has sold me 12 bikes since 1975.  I asked his opinion regarding c dancers and he is going to let me use his.
I agree that "not a ton of pressure" and "common sense" is spot-on. 6-point is the way to go
Thanks
Mark Twain

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 02:28:27 pm »
Canyon Dancers are not to be used on such a heavy bike. You may get away with them if your lucky  but the first time you have to do some sort of 'quick avoidance' while trailering you will snap the handle bars off.  The aluminum handle bars are not made to handle those types of forces. I have seen it happen more than once and the result isn't pretty. Can you get away with Canyon Cages?? with luck sure but why take that chance when we know what can happen?
Also I have snapped those 1 inch straps going around twistie turns up in the Blue Ridge. I use only 2 inch soft loops and  2 inch  straps for bikes over 700 lb like ours and especially  Gold wings.

Never leave your center or side stand down. We have seen those results here on the forum. Something will bend on your bike and it may not always be the stand.
I always tie down the bike using four straps and I can cut  any one  strap and the bike will not fall over. You want to strap to  the swing frame to stop side to side movement. It is always the strongest part of any bike.

The one thing I see a lot of is the bike bouncing on a trailer using the bikes suspension.  That is a good way to put extra wear on those shocks. The bike should always be at one with the trailer. No movement when you shake the bike.

Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 02:38:34 pm »
First off, just because someone got away with it doesn't mean it's a wise move.  But what does the manufacturer say about this?  See the information at:

http://www.canyondancer.com/originalbarharness

In the WARNINGS section:

NEVER install harness on handlebars higher than four inches above the top triple clamp or handlebar clamp.

The C14 bars are well above 4 inches above the clamp!  In fact I measure them at 8" tall.  I'm not against Canon Dancers, heck I have one and use it when appropriate.  But it's NOT suitable for the C14.  Soft-ties are inexpensive and available almost everywhere.  I use two on each side with two ratchet straps in case one fails.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:41:57 pm by jwh20 »
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 03:33:57 pm »
Yessiree JTX
That is exactly the tie down scenario I'm planning. The triple clamp pic is very helpful. I looked at your pics on my phone the other day and figured I was good with the triple clamps. I have the extenders...everything.
Now I just need the snow to fall, melt away and drive to the front range.
I appreciate you posting the pic link JTX
Thanks

You're very welcome.  Any FYI though i did not put a lot of force on the sub frame rail straps.  They were good and snug but not excessive. I was concerned about them bending.  But all was well. 

Looping the extension over the tree was a bit of a task but i didnt feel like taking the plastic part off underneath.  The only bad part about strapping the c14 is its a two person job. 

Its one reason im looking at the pitbull.

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:42 pm »
Canyon Dancers are not to be used on such a heavy bike. You may get away with them if your lucky  but the first time you have to do some sort of 'quick avoidance' while trailering you will snap the handle bars off.  The aluminum handle bars are not made to handle those types of forces. I have seen it happen more than once and the result isn't pretty. Can you get away with Canyon Cages?? with luck sure but why take that chance when we know what can happen?
Also I have snapped those 1 inch straps going around twistie turns up in the Blue Ridge. I use only 2 inch soft loops and  2 inch  straps for bikes over 700 lb like ours and especially  Gold wings.

Never leave your center or side stand down. We have seen those results here on the forum. Something will bend on your bike and it may not always be the stand.
I always tie down the bike using four straps and I can cut  any one  strap and the bike will not fall over. You want to strap to  the swing frame to stop side to side movement. It is always the strongest part of any bike.

The one thing I see a lot of is the bike bouncing on a trailer using the bikes suspension.  That is a good way to put extra wear on those shocks. The bike should always be at one with the trailer. No movement when you shake the bike.
I appreciate and hear what you are saying, indeed. Thanks for that.
The c dancers are backup, redundancy and are to be lightly tensioned last in the 6 strap set.
Maybe I won't even need them!
Nobody wants a spilt C14 any more that I!
Mark Twain

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 05:56:45 pm »
I too have Canyon Dancers. I wont use them on a big bike and never for long trips.
Also these straps are the bomb. It makes it so easy load load especially if your are  loading  by yourself. They come in 6 foot or 10 foot lengths
https://tinyurl.com/lmhfoyb   
look for the 2 inch versions for your C14
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:53:31 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
YOu're right...those retractable straps are awesome. Tidy and easy to handle.

I use the anchor straps with them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KF2AGC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 coming around the fork and at the back of the bike on the frame. Chock on the floor and anchors in the floor keep it stable.

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 09:46:06 pm »
Something I've not seen mentioned here...
When we were trailering my Connie and my daughter's R3 to last year's rally (through Oklahoma's bumpy toll roads) - I had a bounce so hard, one hook came of it's attachment point.
After that scare (Connie leaned over and rested on her R3 for a short while) we stopped and picked up some of those oval-shaped bolts that have a sleeve-nut on them.  I now use these for every trailering effort.  By hooking these through the solid section of the strap's hook, and then through whatever other connection you need to make (lower-triple-tree straps or trailer tie-down point) - I never have to worry about bumpy roads again (nor cranking down the suspension an unnecessarily large amount).
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 10:02:24 pm »
I know exactly what you're talking about.
I just use zip ties to capture each anchor to it's tie-down hook.
Thanks

It's snowing like a mike fox (mf) here in Colorado. Great time to buy a bike, eh!
Mark Twain

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:47:09 pm »
This is the trouble maker, right here!

A 2008 to 2016 color comparison
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:58:31 pm by JDSCO »
Mark Twain

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 11:05:18 pm »
This is the trouble maker, right here!

A 2008 to 2016 color comparison

Cool I like the gray.

You'll hate the seat!

Offline Jeffrey

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12338
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 11:16:53 pm »
I use the pit-bull trailer restraints in my toy hauler.  Simple to use, dead stable and in my view the best option for these big bikes.  And no worry about fork seals. Yes they are expensive, but so is our plastic body work.

http://www.pit-bull.com/product/F0075KG-000.html
2015 Candy Green C14.  Two Bros slip on.  Steve's 2017 EVO flash. Phil's rack. Front & Back Canyon Cages - already paid for themselves!