Author Topic: Trailering the bike  (Read 632 times)

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
  • Membership Level: Active
Trailering the bike
« on: October 19, 2018, 07:33:45 pm »
I know: BLASPHEMY!      :truce:

Well after two back surgeries (lumbar & cervical fusions) and what feels like a third may be needed, I'm thinking it might be better for me to trailer the bike to meets.

I'm curious what trailers you use, tie down methods, tips, tricks and suggestions you have.  (Looking at you Ted.)     :great:

BTW, I did review old threads but a lot of photos got PB'ed and can't be viewed.

TIA,   Leo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:33:04 pm by MtnRider »
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Trailering the bike
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 07:43:47 pm »
I know: BLASPHEMY!      :truce:

Well after two back surgeries (lumbar & cervical fusions) and what feels like a third may be needed, I'm thinking it might be better for me to trailer the bike to meets.

I'm curious what trailers you use, tie down methods, tips, tricks and suggestions you have.  (Looking at you Ted.)     :great:

TIA,   Leo

Not blasphemy anymore. LOTs of people haul 'em all over the place. Ted's got a cool idea...
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »
FYI:

https://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle-tie-down-comparison-test#page-2

Also Google " Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness" .  I used these when I trailered my newly acquired C14 from the Milwaukee area back to Michigan, about 240 miles.  I also used 4 straps - two connected to the Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness and two connected to the back of the bike.   I compressed the front & rear suspension and inch or two.  Stopped a few times to snug the straps down a bit.

The bike rode good on the trailer going down the interstate.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:06:09 pm by IBAJIM »

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
6x12 utility trailer
Harbor freight chocks (Baxley knockoff)
Retractable ratchet straps with soft ties on the front
and rear. E-track on the floor to tie down the rear.

No shame in trailering. We usually have 2-3 in the truck to split driving, and can eat, nap, bs, or whatever. Then when we get to the destination, unload and ride, instead of being tired from a 600 mile ride to get there.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:19:50 pm »
I guess my reputation as a Trailerer' proceeds me...
  (Yes, I know I'm a sinner).  :truce:

You don't have to have an expensive trailer to haul a Connie. Just one that is good e'nuff to do the job.

Sadly, I'm trailer poor. I have a 2 bike, and a 1 bike trailer, plus I have a 8x20 enclosed car trailer {that I may use someday}..
The 2 bike and enclosed trailers are both home made.
The 1 bike is a Northern Tool Trailer that I modified to extremes.
   ie; I have more $$ in mods than the trailer cost new.
             It started life as a 4 x 6 utility trailer...

If your looking for a "really" inexpensive trailer, Harbor Freight has 1 that will do the job for about $300.
NOTE: This trailer folds to fit in a small area.
Northern Tool or tractor supply sells a small utility trailer {about $600} that is better but does not fold.
NOTE: Both of these are small wheel trailers, and I prefer a big wheel trailer for long trips.

On my trailers,  I have drop axles installed to allow bigger wheels.
                        I use Harbor Freight Front wheel chocks.
                        I use turnbuckle's instead of straps to secure the bikes.
                          T-Rex racing sells a turnbuckle set up that is similar to mine.

I realize that all of this makes me sound tight frugal, and "I am"..
Other "storebuilt" nice Trailers are available and do a heck of a fine job.
The biggest reason I do this is I enjoy building/modifying/tinkering,,, "frugal".

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:16:38 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:42 pm »
HAH!, Ted.

I used a 4x8 HF trailer with HF wheel chock to haul my Nomad a couple of times. Sold that trailer when we moved and I didn't have a place to store it. I would like it back now. Btw, HF has their trailer sales on hold, no longer listed. Apparently ran afoul of DOT with their tires not meeting standards. Supposedly they to get better tires and restart sales "sometime".

I will need to go the "frugal" route this time around, also. The T-Rex looks nice but I would like to see your turnbuckle setup. I reviewed the old thread where Ron had put up pictures but they're now in PB never-never land. Could you repost some here?

Thanks!
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 11:10:24 pm »
MtnRider; I was at a HF last week and one of the HF Trailers was inside the front of the store.
                I agree, they are no longer in the catalogue, but some remain at the stores..   
                   New {DOT approved} trailer's are in the current sales add..  Hint, hint,,, >:D

If you can't find one, the Northern Tool or Tractor Supply trailers are decent for what you want.
  PS: On both, (if you want) Larger wheels can easily be installed...

I'm unable to get photo's to attach.
  Ron can tell you were to see them or send me your cell # and I'll send all you want.

I'll PM you some additional info.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:11:49 pm by connie_rider »

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 12:45:02 am »
Go to the Media Center and look in "ron203 pix" album on pg 2. All of Ted's trailer pix are there.

Possibly here: http://forum.cog-online.org/media/?sa=album;in=132;fw;start=30

2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline currenv

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11913
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 02:24:08 am »
Hi Leo,

Here's a link to a picture of mine on a "Portachopper."  I looped a couple of soft ties around the lower triple tree and ran two ratchet straps to the tie down points on the front of the trailer.  It's a bit fiddly to get the soft ties in there but not too terrible.  (I just left the soft ties in place --  just tie wrapped the ends in place so they didn't flop around and they were there for my next trailering expedition.)  Then a couple of ratchet straps in the rear.  I used the rear canyon cages as the tie points, but there's some pretty robust pieces on the bike itself you can tie them to, too.

BTW, it's safer to use the lower triple tree instead of strapping to the handle bars -- some folks have had the bars fail when they've done this.

Another alternative for an extended trip is to do a "fly and ship."  I've had very good luck transporting a couple of different bikes with U-Ship.  Both times the driver-shipper has been responsible and responsive.  And it's surprisingly affordable.  For example, +/- $400 to ship from here in Ann Arbor to mid-Florida.

Good luck,

Vinnie

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 05:38:09 pm »
Just an FYI,
I bought a used trailer that was the prototype of trailer in a bag.   It is a monorail with 9" wheels.   To date I calc that I have about 10k miles on this trailer with the C10 or C14 on it.   I buy the best 8 ply tires and it had good timkin bearings in there when I got it.  Who knows how many miles were on the bearings when I got it.  So far I have NO reason to think the tires/wheels are to small for this job.   I repack them every big trip but I have yet to see any reason to.  I went 2500 miles on one trip averaging 75 mph in 90+ heat.  The tires went away fast but the bearings are fine and not hot at all.  I am sure it is cheaper to buy two good small tires over the cost of the full size tires and the higher priced trailer to put them on.   I got the trailer for $145.  Tow it with a honda crv with no loss in gas mileage.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 12:33:34 pm »
Reading the responses I see everyone has given up on letting folks know the dangers of using the canyon dancers.

After the session at Johnson CIty I have always used the loop down around the triple tree. Good demo by good members

Offline MtnRider

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 02:04:10 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!    :beerchug:

I like the turnbuckle system Ted did or if the $ is available the T-Rex system. I'll see where it all end up when the weather warms up next year. (No canyon dancers here)

Leo
2015 Black C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 05:53:51 pm »
Reading the responses I see everyone has given up on letting folks know the dangers of using the canyon dancers.

After the session at Johnson CIty I have always used the loop down around the triple tree. Good demo by good members

I've always been a proponent of the soft loops around the lower tripple clamps, and tiedowns, as the width of the bikes plastic up top forces you to run any strapping way out to the sides. I have seen the 'broken' bars, a couple of them in fact, and also ones that were compromised and later cracked and broke, even when not having tension on a strap pulling on them (but had been hauled in past using dancers).
The loop and tiedowns thing allows you to have the hook eyes on the trailer about a foot either side of center, and that is quite sufficient for a long distance haul. Especially when you use a 'flip up wheel chock' like H/F sells..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 07:43:33 pm »

Started trailering after my 2009 C14 reached 130,000+ miles.   Now 70 years of age and tired of the boring ride from Ft Lauderdale Fl to Georgia and back home again. I bought this trailer. Why, because I can fold it up then stand it up on a round around dolly and keep it in my garage so my HOA can't complain.  Bolted on a HF wheel chock further back on the rail till I came up w/a little more than 100 lbs tongue weight.  This makes it easy on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra (4 cyl) for towing.  Bought higher ply tires (C instead of B)  for more (I HOPE) safety on the road.  Kept the original tires for spares. Be sure to carry a jack as insurance against getting a flat. If you have a flat you will wish you had one and if you have a jack hopefully you won't get a flat.    Had the new tires spin balanced and had no vibration at 110 mph. Don't plan on towing that fast, (75 mph is good) but had to do a test.   Bought 2" self retracting tie down straps ( thank You Mike Deon ) so there in no extra strap material floating in the wind.   I soft tie on lower triple tree in the front. 2 straps in the back and one around the rear tire and wheel, as a precaution.  I have seen the handlebars break from the canyon straps.      This works for me!!   Good Luck!                       Alan in S. Fl    :)

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Shopzilla&utm_campaign=Trailers%20%2B%20Towing%20%3E%20Trailers&utm_content=14717&szredirectid=15403248310021521198810070302008005

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 08:27:49 pm »
Just an FYI,
I bought a used trailer that was the prototype of trailer in a bag.   It is a monorail with 9" wheels.   To date I calc that I have about 10k miles on this trailer with the C10 or C14 on it.   I buy the best 8 ply tires and it had good timkin bearings in there when I got it.  Who knows how many miles were on the bearings when I got it.  So far I have NO reason to think the tires/wheels are to small for this job.   I repack them every big trip but I have yet to see any reason to.  I went 2500 miles on one trip averaging 75 mph in 90+ heat.  The tires went away fast but the bearings are fine and not hot at all.  I am sure it is cheaper to buy two good small tires over the cost of the full size tires and the higher priced trailer to put them on.   I got the trailer for $145.  Tow it with a honda crv with no loss in gas mileage.

Hey Bob. I've seen your trailer in action. I admit it works great.
Are you aware how great of price you got on your trailer?
Look what they cost new...!!
          OMG!!!

http://www.trailer-in-a-bag.com/

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:50:46 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 07:37:57 pm »
Has anyone tried using Uhaul to trailer your bike?
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »
I've seen some Uhaul trailers at the Nationals.
Not sure of the cost etc for that much time.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 08:50:59 pm »
They're $25/day around here. They have bike specific design with a built in chock and a corrugated floor that acts like a rail for the tires. I used one to haul my C-10 home from Florida when I bought it. It  pulled great.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline MtnRider

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 11:23:40 pm »
Hhhmmm...  Uhaul's a maybe.

Ted did I see somewhere that you put shocks on your trailer? If so, what trailer and how did you pick the correct ones and mount them?

Thanks, once a again.

A fellow tinkerererer.
2015 Black C14

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 01:13:42 am »
FYI:

Also Google " Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness" .  I used these when I trailered my newly acquired C14 from the Milwaukee area back to Michigan, about 240 miles.  I also used 4 straps - two connected to the Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness and two connected to the back of the bike.   I compressed the front & rear suspension and inch or two.  Stopped a few times to snug the straps down a bit.

I will say it.. NEVER EVER do any of this with a C14. :-[ :-[
Bad things WILL happen!!  The handle bars WILL snap off. Those tie down points will break.The C14 is way too heavy for this.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 01:21:41 am »
FYI:

I will say it.. NEVER EVER do any of this with a C14. :-[ :-[
Bad things WILL happen!!  The handle bars WILL snap off. Those tie down points will break.The C14 is way too heavy for this.

I second what Mike said. Never use canyon dancer bar straps on anything with cast aluminum bars.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline MtnRider

• Bicycle
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 01:33:50 am »
regarding HF trailer availability:

I stopped by a new store near work and they have trailers available even thou they aren't listed on their website.
2015 Black C14

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 02:10:03 pm »
The new {DOT approved} model is currently in their sales flyer at a discounted price..
   Buy it now "before" the price goes up....  {Frugal Thinking}
                       :)

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:18:12 pm by connie_rider »