Author Topic: Traveling with an extra FOB  (Read 2014 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Traveling with an extra FOB
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:14:03 pm »
I have always kept an extra hidden key on my previous bikes....just in case  esp if on trips

I suppose I could keep an extra FOB with the battery removed.....is there anything wrong with this line of thought?

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Traveling with an extra FOB
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:56:02 pm »
From a convenience viewpoint for you, it's probably a good idea.  From a thief's viewpoint, it's a bonus.  Chances are if you bike is stolen it will be hauled away in a pickup or van with plans to strip it.  But once they find the FOB, JACKPOT!!

If you're concerned about losing your main FOB, do it and just be careful where you park the bike.  If someone really wants the bike, they are going to take it.  FOB or not, they will still get it.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline alikkon

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11342
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:14:19 pm »
I ride with the main fob and the credit card fob on me - the credit card fob sits in my Aerostitch jacket pocket and I use it to open the side-bags when I need to.  The main fob sits in my regular pants pocket underneath my Aerostitch pants and pretty much only leaves long enough to move to a new pair of pants.

Offline Jerry

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11147
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:17 pm »
I ride with one fob, the other fob is in a express mail envelope at my parents and ready to be mailed to me if i do lose the fob. So far no problems and my bike was bought new in 2009. I have the fob on my belt, in a leatherman  tool pouch, and i added extra Velcro on the flap for added security. I also have had a extra key made for fuel cap/bags so i never take the fob out of its holder.  So far so good.
On hand, 1966 triumph tiger,1969 triumph trophy,1975 yamaha dt 400, 1977 yamaha IT 175, 1979 suzuki TS 100, 2009 C-14, 2010  H.D. XR1200

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »
I have my FOB on a lanyard around my neck and also tucked in a inside jacket pocket. Spare in the top case that uses a different key set than the rest of the bike. I stash the TC key in my tank bag with a HUGH tether on it.

1.5 months ago I lost my FOB in a quilted liner tucked under a cargo net. The liner and FOB went off my bike and down a 300 foot ravine as I crossed a bridge never to be recovered again. I did not have my spare because after riding with a "REAL" key on my other bikes I never lost a key and was never stranded.

1.5 days later my spare arrives UPS overnight and off I go to continue my trip.

Never doing that again.

PS: My spare is the small emergency key, not an actual full sized FOB.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:28:56 am »
Having two full sized Fobs, I ride with one buried in a deep or zipped pocket. The wife knows the location of Fob #2 so she could over night it in case I loose Fob #1. I'll just quietly wait at a local bar until Fob #2 arrives at the motel.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline mesee14

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 10836
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:45:10 am »
I got my used 09 with only with one fob, which was a problem. Got an additional fob (costly)and two credit card style  (cheap) transponders made. In everyday use and travelling  I keep one fob in my m/c jacket (inside) pocket which I never take out (always wear the jacket) and small credit card transponder in my pants pocket. Also have standard access keys made for gas/side cases/top case and  carry along a spare fob battery on the bike.. And the other FOB stays at home as back up. When travelling if have a passenger or riding partner the other credit card transponder/access keys  goes with them. I think I got things covered for even the worst mental moment. I'm leary of keeping a fob/transponder on the bike some where myself, but to each there own.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:36:33 am »
@ mesee14

What did the dealer charge to register all the fobs?

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:23:58 am »
@ mesee14

Just as a point of reference, they should charge no more than 1/2 hour. The whole FOB registration process only takes a few minutes, so they should be able to wheel the bike in and out of the shop in 30 minutes. I could even see a dealer charging a full hour, depending on what their minimum billing is, etc. If they have to go dig out the laptop, and spend some time getting everything ready, and trying to remember ho to do it, or read through the KDS manual, it actually could take a full hour of shop time.

If they charge more than an hour, there's something wrong and it should be questioned imho.

Rem ;D

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 11:59:05 am »
Question was a subtle way of seeing if it was done at all?  ;)

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 12:03:34 pm »

Doh...lol. Guess I missed that. ;D

As Foghorn Leghorn once said, "Boy, I keep pitchin' them and you keep missin' them....you gotta keep your eye on the ball boy, get it? Eye...ball?"

Carry on.

Rem ;D
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »

Doh...lol. Guess I missed that. ;D

As Foghorn Leghorn once said, "Boy, I keep pitchin' them and you keep missin' them....you gotta keep your eye on the ball boy, get it? Eye...ball?"

Carry on.

Rem ;D

I'm practicing my 'subtle'. It's been mentioned my 'direct' is sometimes offensive.  ::)

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:21 pm »
I do not find your 'direct' is offensive Gary. Perhaps those telling you it is offensive are offensive themselves?

"Illegitimi non carborundum"  Hey, it was good enough for Vinegar Joe, right?

Brian

I'm practicing my 'subtle'. It's been mentioned my 'direct' is sometimes offensive.  ::)
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »
I keep a fob locked under the seat, the stove knob in a jacket pocket and use a standard key on a key ring with my top box key and garage remote.  The standard key goes with me, just like a real motorcycle should. 

KiPass, Bah Humbug!
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 04:03:29 pm »
I always travel with two FOBs.
Main keyfob in my pants pocket, and a backup emergency fob in a ziplock baggie in a zippered jacket pocket.

I can't lose one, unless I lose my pants or my jacket;).

Rem ;D

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »
I do not find your 'direct' is offensive Gary. Perhaps those telling you it is offensive are offensive themselves?

"Illegitimi non carborundum"  Hey, it was good enough for Vinegar Joe, right?

Brian

hehe, ole'Joe sure was a hard case the times required. Lacking in the more refined social graces.

Offline mesee14

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 10836
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »
@ mesee14

It was half hour shop rate to get them registered. Hope I don't have to prove it with a receipt lol. The extra fob was about $200 and each credit card one about $30 if my memory is right.