Author Topic: Trick to removing brake lines?  (Read 633 times)

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Trick to removing brake lines?
« on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:57 am »
I purchased a set of Galfer stainless steel lines for front brakes, rear brakes, and clutch.  I installed the clutch line without any drama.  However, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to separate the front and rear rubber lines from their junction to the rigid lines.  I have tried as best I can to carefully unscrew the lines, but I have rounded off the fitting in each instance.   :'(

I give up.  :truce:

Is there a trick to getting these lines off?

Now that I've rounded off the fittings, do I have any options?  Or must I now replace all the hard lines, too?

ugh.  What I thought was going to be a leisure evening in my garage has turned into nothing but frustration and anxiety.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: Trick to removing brake lines?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:07 am »
When I replaced mine (09 C14 non ABS) with the Galfer's there was no ridged section. The new lines were a complete and total replacement running from the master cylinder to the R/H caliper then to the L/H caliper. Again this is on an 09 non ABS. Double check with the Vendor that you got the correct lines. If they are correct you're probably going to need some more parts. Brake lines typically require a "Flair Nut Wrench" and are easily damaged by common open end wrenches. Please take all your adjustable (Cresent) wrenches and lose them in a black hole. You can try to hand file new flats on the fittings but then again even if that works I'd recommend changing them. If you Must get them apart you can also very carefully cut the female fitting in two places, 180 degrees apart with a Dremel or hacksaw being sure not to cut into the male threads. Then "Simply" break the two halves apart.

Best of luck. Let us know the outcome.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 05:30:34 am »
My C14 has ABS.  The pictures in the galfer instructions match what my bike looks like, so I have no reason to believe that I have incorrect or incomplete parts.

There is a line that goes from the front brake master cylinder to a hard line at the top of the frame.  I believe that hard line goes to the ABS module.

There is a second line that goes from another hard line at the top of the frame to the front right caliper.  I believe that hard line is the return from the ABS module.

There is a third line that goes from the front right caliper and crosses over to the front left caliper.

I was not using an adjustable/crescent wrench...  I was using a craftsman 8mm open-end wrench.  Clearly that was a bad decision, on my part.  I have a pretty good selection of tools, but I didn't have any flare wrenches.  Lesson learned.  I have ordered a set of flare wrenches that should arrive Thursday.

I'm hoping the fittings can be operated with the flare wrenches...  If not, then I'll have to order new hard lines:

43060-0040 Rear Master Cylinder -> Rear Caliper
43060-0016 Front Master Cylinder -> ABS module
43060-0017 ABS module -> Front Caliper

Looks like that's about a $120 mistake  :'(

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:27:29 am »
I didn't mean to imply you were using an adjustable wrench. Unfortunately lots of people do. As you have learned there is no substitute for the correct tools. Sometimes you can get away with it and other times not. Flare fittings being one of those sometimes cases. Often the ridged line or fitting is softer carbon steel. If you do get them apart carefully inspect the contact area for galling. It should be absolutely smooth.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:42:47 am »
I didn't want to wait for my Amazon delivery, tomorrow, so I went to Sears and bought a metric flare wrench set.

I was able to get the two fittings off for the front brake lines.  Unfortunately, the rear fitting was too rounded and I couldn't get it off.  I'll have to order a new hard line for the rear.

Oh well...  The bright side is I have another project  :motonoises:

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:33:24 pm »
I didn't want to wait for my Amazon delivery, tomorrow, so I went to Sears and bought a metric flare wrench set.

I was able to get the two fittings off for the front brake lines.  Unfortunately, the rear fitting was too rounded and I couldn't get it off.  I'll have to order a new hard line for the rear.

Oh well...  The bright side is I have another project  :motonoises:

Plus you got some spiffy new tools  :beerchug: