Author Topic: Trip to Cleveland on stock seat  (Read 438 times)

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Trip to Cleveland on stock seat
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:28:07 pm »
On Father's Day, My son and I rode to Lakewood, OH, near Cleveland, to see my daughter, around 225 miles round trip on my 2010 C14.  My 22 year old son rode on the back with me.   I have my Russell Day Long seat under construction so I put on the stock seat for the ride.   It was mid 90's so shorts/underwear were sticking and the downward slope of the stock seat made it a horrible time for me.  Gripped the tank with my knees to try to eliminate the sliding forward.   He wasn't doing bad on the back, have a backrest, his only complaint was some knee stiffness.   That seat ruined a beautiful ride for me along Lake Erie on a calm but hot day, temps were only 85 near the lake.   By the time we got back home that night you couldn't of paid me to ride another mile.    I have a stock C14 seat on my ZX14r and it works wonderfully but not on the C14 with the more upright seating position.

I have had a lot of bikes through the years and the majority of the bikes I had to purchase an aftermarket seat, which adds $400 to $800 to ownership.   I'm amazed that manufacturers still put on as many horrible seats on the new bikes overall.   Most are thin padding and narrow, for looks not comfort.  Anything other than a full blown cruiser or touring rig will need a different seat than what the manufacturer puts on it.      The bike was a joy to ride otherwise.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Trip to Cleveland on stock seat
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »
Yes the stock seat is horrible to many.  The foam and shape of the set is for looks and compresses to the seat pan in a short amount of time.

The idea mfg's have of slanting seats forward is counter-intuitive for comfort.  May look cool and racy but its slanted exactly the wrong way. 

I tried a bunch of seats and the Russell is absolutely the best for me.  The slant is right and the shape of it - much like a tractor seat - is ideal.

It also really helps me to wear synthetic wicking material for undies and pants / shorts under my mesh riding pants.

Cotton is awful once you start perspiring - that damp cotton will pinch and pull miserably.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:27:53 pm »
Hey Roger,

I agree, its a great bike but the seat has something left to be desired.
I have a Saergent seat on my 2011 and do have discomfort after about 200 miles.  Solved my problem by placing a small $5 inflatable travel pillow with a little bit of air on the seat. Its not the most elegant solution but it provides some relief after reaching about 200 miles.   I have yet to try a Russell Day Long.

Anyways, I'm a native Clevelander  now in Texas; mid 90s is unusually hot this time of year up that way.
However in Texas, it does not cool down in the evening; it will be pitch dark and still 90+ degrees.
Anyways, Go Tribe!

Dean
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:43:12 pm »
Yes the stock seat is horrible to many.  The foam and shape of the set is for looks and compresses to the seat pan in a short amount of time.

The idea mfg's have of slanting seats forward is counter-intuitive for comfort.  May look cool and racy but its slanted exactly the wrong way. 

I tried a bunch of seats and the Russell is absolutely the best for me.  The slant is right and the shape of it - much like a tractor seat - is ideal.

It also really helps me to wear synthetic wicking material for undies and pants / shorts under my mesh riding pants.

Cotton is awful once you start perspiring - that damp cotton will pinch and pull miserably.

Yea, it pinched and pulled miserably, was wearing 100% cotton everything.   Had me looking at new bikes yesterday, no kidding, went to the local dealership.   I went home after and washed the bugs off of mine from the night before and sat next to it admiring it and realized what a nice bike I already have.   I think the C14 is a wonderful looking machine.   Nothing different needed just need to fix my seat issue.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 02:46:39 pm »
Hey Roger,

I agree, its a great bike but the seat has something left to be desired.
I have a Saergent seat on my 2011 and do have discomfort after about 200 miles.  Solved my problem by placing a small $5 inflatable travel pillow with a little bit of air on the seat. Its not the most elegant solution but it provides some relief after reaching about 200 miles.   I have yet to try a Russell Day Long.

Anyways, I'm a native Clevelander  now in Texas; mid 90s is unusually hot this time of year up that way.
However in Texas, it does not cool down in the evening; it will be pitch dark and still 90+ degrees.
Anyways, Go Tribe!

I have an Airhawk I should of used for the day but didn't think of it.   Go Tribe, Cavs, and Browns!

Dean

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:03:26 pm »
you were just crazy for riding those days period... it was tooooooo freaking hot... mid 90's, till today... all i could say was "hose me down"...

yeah, I'm 20 minutes East of downtown Cleveland... and I wouldn't have ridden into town...
 :103: :103:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:57 pm »
Wear a jock strap on long hot drives. I have overy 60K on a stock seat and many 500 mile plus days.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:36:45 pm »
Wear a jock strap on long hot drives. I have overy 60K on a stock seat and many 500 mile plus days.

:))

I don't think you really meant that... or the Jaques Stropp either..

both seem uncomfortable to envision...
 :-\ :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 04:17:48 pm »

Stasch, I was thinking about it more, you gave me some great advice on wearing synthetic instead of cotton.   I like cotton but I should of been wearing something else when it was 90+ because the main part of the discomfort was the clothes stuck on me solid and the seat sliding me forward especially riding double and during braking.   I'm trying something different at least for the under garments in the future.   

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:34:49 pm »
Jockstrap is a good solution to keep yer plums supported. I wear cycling shorts with gel padding. When I do long haul, I do not wear anything under the cycling shorts. I've done over 500 mile ride last year with only stopping for snacks and fuel. Granted, by bum was sore. But it was not as sore as it would have been riding without padded cycling shorts.
I know people swear by "this" or "that" seat. I've spend more than few dollars trying to figure out wind management on my C14, only to return to OE set up. I am afraid gambling with aftermarket seats, for me, will yield similar results.
For my upcoming coast to coast trek, I have to find comfort solutions that aren't permanent as there are chances that even  the best aftermarket  seat can become intolerable.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:46:54 pm by RoadKillHeaven »