Author Topic: Turn signal dims the headlight  (Read 1292 times)

Offline GSGSXJay

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 5374
  • Membership Level: Active
Turn signal dims the headlight
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:00 am »
While riding w/ a 2009 C14 owner I noticed that when he turned on his turn signal the headlight would dim and then get brighter as the t/s blinked on and off.  The owner hasn't modified the bike.....yet.    Has anyone seen a problem like this w/ their C14?  
Jay COG 5374  1995 ZG1000A10  1978, 79 GS1000EN  Shaft or chain I love em the same

Offline Rich

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 7
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:35:00 pm »
The general consensus from the Front Porch Maojrity here at the National is your friend has a battery issue, or there is some unknown drain on the system.  This should not happen.    You said the bike is stock but is there an electric vest or some other load going on you don't know about?    Recommend getting a voltage reading (using a voltmeter, not the bike's readout) while the bike is running and try various combinations of loads to make sure the charging system or battery is up to snuff.      
The Original Rich Reed  COG #7  COG Life Member  "Over the hill it's five bucks.  Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20:00 am »
I agree with Rich. It appears something is loading down the electrical system.    Does the owner have heated grips installed or any aftermarket stuff (heated grips/lights) that draw high current?    It also could be a poor connection at the battery. I would have him check the battery connections first and make sure they are tight.      
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:24:00 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com