Author Topic: Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing... need genius remote diagnostics, please!! :)  (Read 280 times)

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9466
  • Membership Level: Active
[ITS GREAT TO BE BACK!!!]

2011 C14 has not been ridden in 11 months, corresponding with my recovery from dual knee replacements. Took Old Mothra out for a warm-up spin prior to her springtime oil change, and found no turn signals working. First time this has been a problem.

Full Disclosure: All turn signal lamps had been replaced with LED bulbs over a year ago, with correct flasher relays etc. Everything had "worked as it should" until the bike had to go into hibernation in May 2016.

Today, as soon as ignition is keyed "on", as soon as turn signal switch or emergency flasher switch is activated, the 10A fuse blows. I put a voltmeter on the fuse contacts to see what I could see -- I can hear the relays clicking away (as they should?) and I get some "interesting" voltages with each realy on-off cycle. (I say Intertesting because I don't know what it should be reading.)

Here is a link to a YouTube video showing the voltmeter readings:  https://youtu.be/OvryXdm_6nw

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on here? Any suggestions for further sleuthing and troubleshooting? I would so dearly love to get this figured out! It's just not right that I have to ride the Ducati until I get this fixed!!  Thanks in advance!!
 :))
So many farkles, so little time.

Offline smithr1

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
My guess is something in the wiring to the new LED lights is shorting to ground.   I would take the new stuff out of the circuit and see if the fuse still blows.  If it does not then look at every inch of the wiring to the signals and find where it is pinched.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Clay49

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11340
Since your bike has been in hibernation, you should check to see if Mice have chewed on the wiring.
It has been known to happen. Good luck.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Since your bike has been in hibernation, you should check to see if Mice have chewed on the wiring.

I agree, those critters love to nest up in the tail section and chew those wires... had the same thing happen a couple years ago, they chewed the insulation of about 15 wires up there, including ones from the ecu, which I luckily saw prior to firing up the bike.
They also nest on top of the valve cover, and chew the wires around the throttlle position sensor... had to re insulate those also...
LED syßtems do require a bit of customization with the flasher thingy also, which you did, but if any connections on an led are compromised, it tends to make the working leds take up the slack in over voltage, which they do.
The popping fuse, combined with the readings seen on the vid, have me suggesting you disassemble the grip pod the turn signal and high bean switch live in, and check it out, blow it out well, and spray it down with contact cleaner and or wd40, and do some testing... popping the individual led lamps out and cleaning their bases, and the sockets wouldn't hurt also.
I have experienced issues on the early models with water in the switch area, combining the high and low beam headlights and also the signal lamps all simultaniously, which needed to be addressed ocasionally by the blow out and spray thing after riding in torrential rains, very possible water was in there and caused corrosion over time when it sat.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
From the meter readings, and it looks like you are measuring AMPS here, I see it going 15-16 Amps.  That's WAY too high.  A circuit with a 10A fuse should be running 6-7 A maximum.  You have a short somewhere in there.  The suggestion to check for critters having been in there is probably best at this point.  It's also possible that one of your LED bulbs has failed but check the wires first.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Gixerhp

• Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189

I agree, those critters love to nest up in the tail section and chew those wires... had the same thing happen a couple years ago, they chewed the insulation of about 15 wires up there, including ones from the ecu, which I luckily saw prior to firing up the bike.
They also nest on top of the valve cover, and chew the wires around the throttlle position sensor... had to re insulate those also...
LED syßtems do require a bit of customization with the flasher thingy also, which you did, but if any connections on an led are compromised, it tends to make the working leds take up the slack in over voltage, which they do.
The popping fuse, combined with the readings seen on the vid, have me suggesting you disassemble the grip pod the turn signal and high bean switch live in, and check it out, blow it out well, and spray it down with contact cleaner and or wd40, and do some testing... popping the individual led lamps out and cleaning their bases, and the sockets wouldn't hurt also.
I have experienced issues on the early models with water in the switch area, combining the high and low beam headlights and also the signal lamps all simultaniously, which needed to be addressed ocasionally by the blow out and spray thing after riding in torrential rains, very possible water was in there and caused corrosion over time when it sat.
Pesky little rodents are sure to be the culprit! Look in the tail area,
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
+1 on rodents.  I helped a fellow Cogger troubleshoot a non-working tail light, and it was a chewed wire. 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......