Author Topic: Battery Advice  (Read 617 times)

Offline SATXRIDER

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12274
  • Membership Level: Active
Battery Advice
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:34:24 am »
I have a 2013 C-14 with 46K miles.  Still has the original battery in it.  Battery has always been kept on a tender and shows no signs of weakness.  Will be traveling from San Antonio up to Williamsport  (up thru S. Dakota/Michigan) and will be on the road for 9 days and around 5K miles.  Should I replace the battery before the trip just to be safe, or is it still good to go since I can't see a change in battery performance?

Steve
2013 C-14
2006 ZX-14
1982 GS1100

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Battery Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:38:57 pm »
I have an '08 and I had replaced the original battery, but not the replacement. Like you mine is on a Tender a lot and I got concerned, so I left it off the Tender for about a week. When I started it I noticed it turned over ever so slightly slower, so I replaced it. Last thing I want is to get stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:54:14 pm »
I can see your concern. I would also be thinking about replacing and with
the 14 being harder to get to the battery it might be wise to replace. On the
road it would be a bit... When and where are you passing Thur Michigan.

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:11:57 pm »
my 12 bought in 13 had it's battery die last year. So I would say go ahead and change it. Cheap insurance for something you'll have to do soon anyway.
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline Phil

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:39:25 pm »
I have a 2013 C-14 with 46K miles.  Still has the original battery in it.  Battery has always been kept on a tender and shows no signs of weakness.  Will be traveling from San Antonio up to Williamsport  (up thru S. Dakota/Michigan) and will be on the road for 9 days and around 5K miles.  Should I replace the battery before the trip just to be safe, or is it still good to go since I can't see a change in battery performance?

Steve

I have a 2009, bought new in 2010. I replaced the battery last year. It had not yet failed. The bike had about 43,000 miles at that point.

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Tricycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 03:12:03 pm »
Cheap insurance, not to mention the peace of mind you will have not having the worry about the battery again for a few years and you will get a chance to clean and tighten all the battery connections.  I just replaced the Yuasa battery in my 2010 with a SHORAI Li-Fe battery in my 2010.  The SHORAI has 310 CA. I think the Yuasa was 210?   And yes, you can still use your Battery Tender to keep the SHORAI charged.
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 06:14:29 pm »
Some good advice:
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-test-a-motorcycle-battery

Looking through the service manual, I read that the K-ACT ABS Servicing Braking precautions, requires a battery in good condition to function properly.
Solenoids and electronics don't work well with a weak battery. It used to be the battery was there for starting the engine and operate the radio and lights at night.

Now, it's a new game. The ABS braking system needs a good battery to function properly.

In the Service Manual, electrical system section on the battery, there is some good advice. To determine the battery condition after a refresh charge, "Determine the condition of the battery left for 30 minutes after completion of the charge by measuring the terminal voltage according to the table below"

Criteria.............................Judgment
12.6v or higher..................good
12.0 ~ lower than 12.6v...Charge insufficient -> Recharge
lower than 12.0V...............Unservicable -> Replace

I used to run batteries to failure. On the C14, I don't think it's a good idea.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline BiggusDekkus

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 06:24:31 pm »
Batteries have a higher incidence of random failures than other components (such as tires, brakes, etc) which you can predict when they are worn out.  Since that battery is 6+ years old, it's due to crap out soon.  I would replace it if I were you.  But, if you don't get the opportunity to replace it before you go, don't let an old battery stop you from attending.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline SATXRIDER

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12274
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 08:59:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  Y'all just confirmed what I was already thinking.  For a little over $100, it is cheap insurance from having the dreaded "no start" while on the trip.

Steve
2013 C-14
2006 ZX-14
1982 GS1100

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 09:48:46 pm »
Replace, you said cheap insurance. You're spending a lot of the trip, new battery is just a few dollars' worth of cheap insurance of not being stranded.
Don't ask how I know!

Phil
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 10:38:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  Y'all just confirmed what I was already thinking.  For a little over $100, it is cheap insurance from having the dreaded "no start" while on the trip.

Steve

Good call!

Offline Not So Wild Turkey

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10559
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:24 pm »
I would def def definitely replace it.  The guys you ride with aren't likely to help you or wait on you.  But that's cause you choose a sad lot to ride with.  Or maybe they are the ones that are yet still willing.  Check your radiator.  I've heard bad things about them.

:) :)) >:D
2012 Concours Arabian Red & 80 Suzuki GS1100E
2003 VTX1800R Black / 1979 Suzuki GS1000E / 1969 Norton Commando
Yamaha DT3 250 / Kawasaki 100 G4TR

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 12:21:54 am »
Just replaced mine with a lithium. Seriously 1/3 the weight and less than half the size. Spent 6 days on the road up and back to the Bun Cooler. Never a problem. Same CCA's. 5 days of Noah type rain and temps below 32. That extra room in the batt compartment now has me installing a remote switched fuse box in there. Going to be running north to PA also. What days you looking at. (ya know, just in case I carry a jumper  :) )
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:36 am »
tires, batteries, they better impress for more than a month or 2.. Immediate improvement is expected...... longevity is what matters..

report back on tires at 6k miles.. and batteries at 6 years.. then you get a real cross section.   I mean, seriously, replacing anything with "new" better impress... No? so.. not downing the shoray, but just saying the timeline, and life cycle is still "young", I live in an area where we see 0*.. I may not ride then, but say temps effect performance. Now, with that piece of info, a "tender" on a frozen battery, comes into play also... key on.. punch starter to engage lights.. let them burn for 30-40 seconds to "warm the batt" and then start it.
I designed those things, and still can't say they are worth the money. This is a permutation of further patents.. but basic, as multi "cells" are combined to form a battery...

between us all, and now that the company has been "sucked up" by NGK.. I made single container batteries, that would arc weld 1/4" plate steel... and as an extreme motorcycle enthusiast, i attempted to persuade the V.P> to pay close attention, to my agenda, for electric motorcycles, utilizing our creations.. sad to say, the Iranian based mentality of her, combined with her intent to capture "market place cell phone" batteries, caused her demise.  Years passed, I was an engineer with Tenure, at another non battery company; and when my V'P. of engineering moved to work for a Lithium Ion company, which I had interviewed for, prior.. and found as (too "highly educated in the field" to "hire" )I would have worked for them for half the offer they made me.. and that included re-lo, and a purchased home..)  now, A123, has the record holding electric drag bike.. all I ever wanted out of the whole deal, was to work on, and ride that bike.. damn.

so, LiPh, and LiPhFe bats are common... they are not a thing I would buy, nor back, at this point in time.  (edit to add: "with 5 gallons of high test gas in a tank directly above the battery")
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:06:31 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 02:02:05 am »
so, LiPh, and LiPhFe bats are common... they are not a thing I would buy, nor back, at this point in time.

Does this mean we gonna end up rescuing Old Man on a Connie at some point in the near future?
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 02:14:37 am »
so, LiPh, and LiPhFe bats are common... they are not a thing I would buy, nor back, at this point in time.

Does this mean we gonna end up rescuing Old Man on a Connie at some point in the near future?
Mayhap. Bring booze and smokes. Look for the red flare.  ;)
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.