Author Topic: Unknown Whine on decel, maybe clutch/tranny? Maybe worse? (actually Front Bevel)  (Read 1708 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Unknown Whine on decel, maybe clutch/tranny? Maybe worse?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 05:39:53 pm »
My personal opinion is if you indeed can find a complete assembly, for $100... buy it...
It is a wiser choice, and much better thing than "setting up" the one you have, replacing individual parts... I think you can understand the pitfalls when reading the assembly method in the FSM...

as for interchange, pretty much all the bikes had the same assembly, so  given the quantity of them running perfectly today, compared to how many actually had some failures, your gonna have a 98% chance that the replacement will be fine...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
The OP sent me a video of his bevel drive backlash. Maybe posted here on the thread, i missed it, been really busy. But bottom line the Bevel drive is SHOT. I advised the same as MOB did ^^^ buy one of a wreck, don't try to rebuild the one he has.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline agosey

• Tricycle
  • stupid winter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12517
I'll keep ya'll posted as the repair happens, but as MOB and SISF recommended I went with a total replacement assembly from ebay from a 2013 with 23k for 99 bucks. The part numbers for the case (part that mates to engine) are the same for both years and I figured that is the most important part. I already have the case gasket on order so they should be here at the same ish time. All I'll have to swap over are the speed sensor and the clutch release assembly.

If anybody can think of anything else that I should be looking out for, I'm all ears...
With any luck I'll have it done this weekend.
2008 ZG1400B, 2005 Ural Patrol, 1976 GL1000
Gone but not forgotten, 2006 DL1000k6, 2007 VN900b

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
But bottom line the Bevel drive is SHOT.
Steve

This is the 1st bevel drive I've heard of go bad, not that means much. So my question is what do you think caused this, as it's a relatively low mileage bike. Just curious & wondering.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 225,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline agosey

• Tricycle
  • stupid winter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12517
This is the 1st bevel drive I've heard of go bad, not that means much. So my question is what do you think caused this, as it's a relatively low mileage bike. Just curious & wondering.

JC-
It was one of the bearings on the output bevel that connects to the prop shaft. From what I've been able to discern form the guys that know more than me, there were other instances of this that apparently came from a bad run of bearings that I think was isolated to only the early years if not just the 08's. I'm probably wrong on that. Hence hardly anyone hearing of it. If you loose the bearing you loose the preload and backlash. Then the bevels don't mesh right anymore and begin to wear. I think when I would roll off the throttle the power wouldn't be going to the wheel from the motor, but the wheel would be holding the motor back which would then apply torque differently to a now sloppy bevel and then whine.

But then again, I ain't very smart and probably got all that wrong...
2008 ZG1400B, 2005 Ural Patrol, 1976 GL1000
Gone but not forgotten, 2006 DL1000k6, 2007 VN900b