Author Topic: Updated Connie - Careful  (Read 829 times)

Offline angelo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Updated Connie - Careful
« on: November 06, 2018, 11:08:06 pm »
Wow.  First off, Kaw is really updating some bikes - and adding all the electronics some say they want.  The Ninja 1000 received some already.  The Versys 1000 gets A LOT this year.  Including the elusive cruise control and much more like active suspension.  The SX HE?  The touring one - active suspension. 

But the Price!!!!  It all costs and is real in the MSRP and will also be a part of the leftover market.  No idea what an updated Connie with Cruise, active suspension, full lean ABS etc .... would cost.

Am i wrong for eventually replacing my 08 with a garage queen 08 or 09 to get unlinked ABS?   I'll "suffer" the use of a throttle lock.  I know others will not mind one bit if the $ is available.  The ONLY thing I would like to see is a weight loss program. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Updated Connie - Careful
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:27:16 pm »
welcome to wake up 101

I owned an original gray dammit '86,(which I greatly miss..) and bought the first C14 in Va., ABS model at that, and will likely never sell the C14.

financially, it's a loosing thing, hold the originals, and smile.
oh, I also have a '78 KZ1000Ltd, and feel the same about that bike.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline angelo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:33:12 pm »
Bitch of it is, when we started a family I stopped riding - and that included selling my '80 z1000 that I kept as a "second" bike for decade.  Great motor.  Floppy frame and brakes.  Damn thing almost bit me many times and left me laughing in my helmet more. 

But, about the C14.  Upgrades cost.  For sure. 

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:43 pm »
Me? I would gladly pay the $$ for 6 axis MMU, ABS, TC, adjustable suspension, CC and other electronics. I love technology and I am 62!

For now though, I'll settle on my KLR/ZX14/C14 and Z900RS that have some but not many of the above.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 09:05:07 pm »
Me? I would gladly pay the $$ for 6 axis MMU, ABS, TC, adjustable suspension, CC and other electronics. I love technology and I am 62!

For now though, I'll settle on my KLR/ZX14/C14 and Z900RS that have some but not many of the above.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and I'm 63, turning 64... an still own my first "mofo monster bike"...KZ1000Ltd B2

I hate technology, I hate the things that make it necessary for me to spend the same amount I spent on my "first new bike" (a '73 Yammy RT3) for simple software and analytical systems to trouble shoot, my newest bike.
Oh. I'm a retired mechanical engineer, and I still "hate technology".

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7402
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »
I’ve been reading up on the new big Versys and have to say they’ve added a lot of techno goodies to it. But part of the attraction of the the Versys was it didn’t have stuff on it you didn’t need. I’ve got a gen 3 650 now and love it and even tho I like the 1000 too, that new price of $18k msrp is hard to swallow. That’s puts it about the same as an FJR or a lightly used GS 1200.

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 07:20:44 am »
Spent a long time learning to ride. ABS, traction control for me are completely unwanted. Riding is about deliberately losing traction sometimes! There is a chasm between what the ABS on the Concours deems a problem and what I deem a problem, for example. In that chasm is loss of brakes. Hate it.
The newest stuff is better, but I'd still opt out if I could.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:02 am »
Get an older bike in that case.  The earlier ones had those safety features as an optional extra in USA.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 10:57:37 am »
There is a reason why so many have gone down the smaller/nekkid route (cafe racers, etc.) and that is FUN. The more technology they throw at a bike, the less fun it becomes.
To have fun on my C14 I HAVE to be breaking the speed limit.
On my C10 i'm only breaking the limit some of the time.
On a cafe racer I'd rarely get anywhere near the limit but unfortunately they are all too small for me.
Perhaps I should abandon the rebuild of Otto and go the nekkid route, or maybe buy another C10 to nekkidify it.

If there is another Connie after the C14 it will almost certainly be a 1000cc Supercharged with fly-by-wire, Cruise control, etc., but I doubt if I will want one.
I was sorely tempted last week to buy an XS1100 that needs some love and abuse.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:48 pm »
If you liked the c10. You’d love the Suzuki gsx1100g!  I have 2 of them. Rip your arms off acceleration. Wheelies in all gears. Bulletproof engine and shaft drive.