Author Topic: Vacuum Hose  (Read 674 times)

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
  • Membership Level: Active
Vacuum Hose
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:33:10 pm »
I'll be doing a valve check and throttle body sync on my bike soon, and was wondering if anyone knows what size I.D. vacuum hose I need to run lines from the throttle body's for checking?

Will this work?   https://www.amazon.com/Pico-5161PT-Vacuum-Tubing-Package/dp/B00030CZMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521901318&sr=1-1&keywords=rubber+vacuum+hose

The hose is the last thing I need to get, except for shims and I'll get them when I find out which ones I need.

Thanks,  Joe C
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Vacuum Hose
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:49:55 pm »
I can't remember exactly which I used when I did mine, I don't think it was 1/4", probably 3/16", but you won't be installing it until you finish up the valves, prior to putting the valve conver back on, and I got mine at Autozone, Advance automotive or PepBoyz also carries it, as well as NAPA...  for like $4 for a 6 ft section, so do a walk in after you pull one of the rubber caps off, and match it up.. and don't forget to pick up 4 babrbed "splice" pieces, so you can use them at the side and re cap then by using the original caps...
Number the hoses when you do this, and clip them into a plastic spark plug wire "loom/holder" which can be taped or tiewrapped to the left side removable upper frame brace... its a handy spot.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:54:38 am »
I used the hose that came with my Carbtune.  Their website indicates 5mm ID for the hoses, so that would fall between 3/16 - 1/4".  I imagine both would work.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
I can't remember exactly which I used when I did mine, I don't think it was 1/4", probably 3/16", but you won't be installing it until you finish up the valves, prior to putting the valve conver back on, and I got mine at Autozone, Advance automotive or PepBoyz also carries it, as well as NAPA...  for like $4 for a 6 ft section, so do a walk in after you pull one of the rubber caps off, and match it up.. and don't forget to pick up 4 babrbed "splice" pieces, so you can use them at the side and re cap then by using the original caps...
Number the hoses when you do this, and clip them into a plastic spark plug wire "loom/holder" which can be taped or tiewrapped to the left side removable upper frame brace... its a handy spot.

Thanks MOB,  that sounds like the way to go.  I'll make sure to get the I.D. spec and report back to this thread for future references.

Joe C
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 06:30:31 pm »
I think that 5mm dimension is what I measured, so try the 3/16" as it will fit tightly, and stay on the nipple, 1/4" may be loose, and a hiddin and unseen hose loss deep in there in the "cave" would be troublesome to see, or re attach.

Best of luck on you task, let us know how it all works out, and don't forget those splice nipples, you need them to attach your gauges to, and to re plug after.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Steiny

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber