Author Topic: Valve adjust....I just didn't want to do it...So  (Read 2715 times)

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Valve adjust....I just didn't want to do it...So
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 02:00:24 pm »
Shims are easy to find.  I ordered 7 from riders domain on a Monday, and got them in the mail that next Thursday.

With just about 17K on my 2014, I had one exhaust valve at .007, one at .0075 and one intake at .003, so I'm glad I checked when I did.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 03:13:52 pm »
so do I order shims before or after I check? I assume after so I know what sizes, forgive me for the ignorance of my questions

Shims are easy to find.  I ordered 7 from riders domain on a Monday, and got them in the mail that next Thursday.

With just about 17K on my 2014, I had one exhaust valve at .007, one at .0075 and one intake at .003, so I'm glad I checked when I did.
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline SpeedyCoop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12609
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 07:18:17 pm »
You should order after you check (measure clearances) so you know exactly what you need.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 12:39:29 pm »
One other tip that helped me. 

When you get to torqueing down the cam caps, and valve cover, there are a couple bolts on the front left side of the engine that you will find very difficult to get a torque wrench on.

I have a 1/4" drive torque wrench and with the 5mm allen socket, I still didn't have enough clearance to get to the bolt.

I cut a 3/8" piece off a 5mm allen wrench and used it in a 5mm socket.  This combination was much shorter than the allen socket and allowed me to get the bolt torqued.

I would also recommend you epoxy, or J.B. Weld the piece of allen wrench into the socket so you don't have to spend an hour looking for it when it falls down the front of the engine, and ends up in the bottom of the #2 exhaust header flange where it can only be seen with an inspection mirror.

>:(
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:24 pm »

I would also recommend you epoxy, or J.B. Weld the piece of allen wrench into the socket so you don't have to spend an hour looking for it when it falls down the front of the engine, and ends up in the bottom of the #2 exhaust header flange where it can only be seen with an inspection mirror.

>:(

Good tip, experience always helps
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 01:43:17 am »
This is going to suck!! And be awesome at the same time... I’m doing my first valve job soon and am dreading it, but can’t wait to finally get it done and over with (+ learn some new stuff about this bike in the process)

Offline Upstate Pete

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 01:17:09 am »
So, after 52,000 miles I finally did my valves. I had 4 exhaust and 4 intake valves that were under spec by around 2/100ths of a mm. Went one size lower on those 8 shims. What a freaking chore for 8 shims smaller than your pinky nail. I'm not ever doing that again. Now I'm gonna run her till she melts and just buy a new bike.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 01:26:49 am »
I hear you brother.....mines a 2011 so lets figure what it will be worth at 120K miles..... maybe half the price of a valve adjust? I do realize they still have a lot of miles left in them if the valves are kept up but I will be ready for something else I'm sure.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 01:34:39 am »
I was quoted 3.5 hours for valves at my local dealer at $75 an hour...
Thanks

Rick

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 04:15:25 pm »

Make them sign a statement specifying that price, and that the price is firm, and will not change, and require them to photograph the bike actually torn down, and require a shim map.  :great: :rotflmao:

Offline Upstate Pete

• Training Wheels
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 01:11:22 am »
So very funny. It took me longer than that just to get to my valves. god bless your local dealer.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 02:31:01 pm »
If they will do it for that amount of labor I would have them do it, but like mentioned verify what was done.   Any valve adjustment the cams should be removed so that the optimal shim can be in place.   I would give them the valve diagram we have listed somewhere on site.   I used it when I did my valve adjustment.
I did my valves at 18k miles and I had some that were on the tight side and and 3 slightly out of spec.   I learned a lot doing it myself and won't be concerned in doing it again.   I really didn't think it was that bad.   In saying that, if you can get someone to do it for around $350 and trust their work, go for it.

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 02:35:47 pm »
was reading through the shop manual last night on this and it's out of my realm of expertise to do on my own, maybe someone in TN has BTDT

If they will do it for that amount of labor I would have them do it, but like mentioned verify what was done.   Any valve adjustment the cams should be removed so that the optimal shim can be in place.   I would give them the valve diagram we have listed somewhere on site.   I used it when I did my valve adjustment.
I did my valves at 18k miles and I had some that were on the tight side and and 3 slightly out of spec.   I learned a lot doing it myself and won't be concerned in doing it again.   I really didn't think it was that bad.   In saying that, if you can get someone to do it for around $350 and trust their work, go for it.
Thanks

Rick

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 04:48:41 pm »
Was at the dealer to day getting my new tires installed and asked again on valve check & Adjust cost.

The verified with service manager that they do a flat rate 3.2 hours, includes everything. They asked me why I was concerned.. I told them about you guys  :)
Thanks

Rick

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 02:48:35 am »
3.2 hours for a valve adjustment is the cheapest I’ve ever seen for the c14. It can take that long just to get the valve cover off.

Offline SpeedyCoop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12609
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 09:47:04 am »
I would be concerned with the quality of work if somebody can do that job in 3.2 hrs.(Unless he does them all the time) Having done my own valve adjustment, it is not a job  to hurry through.

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 10:15:10 am »
Was at another dealer, a larger dealer and had great conversation on the concours with the service manager, first thing he asked me when he found out what I rode was "have you had your ecu flashed"
Anyway he said 6 hours for valves
Thanks

Rick

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 04:46:58 pm »
Wolverine, that's interesting I wonder why he would ask you that out of the blue.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2018, 04:48:29 pm »
It wasn't out of the blue, we were talking about the C14. He knows a good flash works on these bikes..

Wolverine, that's interesting I wonder why he would ask you that out of the blue.
Thanks

Rick