Author Topic: Valve Adjustment C14  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Valve Adjustment C14
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:11 am »
makes me want to jump on a Southwest super saver flight just to learn :)

SiSF needs to host another tech day for this...
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline mike

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 06:27:47 pm »
The rest of my parts/tools should be in by Wed night.  Let me know how your schedule looks.  I'm available evenings and weekends anytime.  Thanks again for the offer to help - very much appreciated!!

I'm available Thursday and Friday evenings, from ~4:30pm onward.
Saturday I'm free all day.
Sunday I'm free until 4pm.

How about we start on Saturday morning?  Let me know what time works best and PM me your contact/address information - I'll send you mine as well.  Thanks!

Offline Smitty

• Bicycle
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 06:37:26 pm »
makes me want to jump on a Southwest super saver flight just to learn :)

SiSF needs to host another tech day for this...

I'll volunteer my bike to be checked :)
'08 Kawasaki Concours ABS; Decel Flashed by SiSF ("Gazelleda")
'09 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive ("Super Scoot") [sold]

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 08:37:55 pm »
How about we start on Saturday morning?  Let me know what time works best and PM me your contact/address information - I'll send you mine as well.  Thanks!
Saturday works for me.  Early start is probably best.  ~9am okay?  PM'd you my details.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 04:54:19 pm »
On Saturday I took a ride up to visit P07r0457.  With LOTS of help from him, we were able to complete the valve adjustment.  Total working time was probably 11 hrs with a couple tossed in for lunch and a trip for parts.  Some takeaways from this, it's a bigger job than you think and I don't recommend trying to crank this out in 1 day.  Staying organized is key to your success.  If you lose track of what shims you've replaced with what or what parts go where - it's going to be a long day.  Have enough space in your workspace to layout the parts as they come off and track what side they came from.  Make sure you have all the right tools (I didn't).  Take lots of pictures along the way (I didn't - but I will post the ones I did take once I get them off my phone). it may seem obvious when you are taking it apart, but hours later it's like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. 

One thing that caught us both by surprise, this is a CA bike.  Even though it was purchased new in NC.  Looks like I'll be doing a CARB delete next.

The satisfaction of doing the work yourself and doing it right are the best reasons to tackle this job.  But you will find there are lots of opportunities to cut corners or settle for good-enough.  A dealership is only going to do the bare minimum to get it out the door and onto the next bike - but that leaves a lot of room for improvement.     

So, a big shout out to P07r0457 for taking the time to teach me how this is done right.  I'm not looking forward to doing the job again, but I'm convinced more than ever this is a labor of love that should not be farmed out if you can help it.     

Offline Trey

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 02:16:29 pm »
So the big question is how many were in/or out of spec.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »
Yeah, what year, how many miles, how many out, intake or exhaust ?

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 12:03:51 pm »
I didn't get the exact mileage, but I believe it was a 2014 with ~30k on the odo.

All eight exhaust valves were tight, at the bottom end of spec. We adjusted all eight up to 0.009".
Two of the intake valves were tight.  We were able to get seven where we wanted (0.006") but the best we could do on the last was 0.005" due to a lack of local availability on the proper half-size shims.

Offline Claude aka MotorcycleClaude

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9011
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 01:05:08 pm »
This story is what COG is all about  :)

Claude
MotorcycleClaude

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • COG#: 9331
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 04:28:29 pm »
I've been absent from the forum for some time, trying to re-assimilate, sorry I missed this! I'm south of Graham and have done my own once before, a refresher would have been nice. I purchased a few shims, but basically ended up trading with a local dealer (Triangle Cycle) for the additional shims I needed. I forgot who gave me the tip, but many parts departments will allow you to trade sizes with them at no cost. Glad the OP got the help he needed, sorry I missed it!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 06:17:18 pm »
Related to shims.   I'm amazed how few shims the dealers keep in stock.   I went to a large dealer / service department and they had a rather small assortment in stock, no where near what I needed for my bike to complete.  This is a dealership with Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Indian/CanAm, etc. with 4 stroke snowmobiles also so they should need an assortment often.    Another reason why I did the valve adjustment myself and got the shims next day online.   I put in the optimum shim size....not just close.   Something like that they know you would never be able to see or tell what they did but it would be done in their eyes.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 07:04:11 pm »
Somehow I missed this whole thread, too. OOPS. But y'all done good!!!  Sounds like a whole bunch of good folks in Eastern North Carolina. When are you going to get together again for a social? This IS what COG has always been about. Well done!!!

Ron
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 01:13:49 pm »
I miss this as well!!!!  :-[  I also live in the Raleigh area......
Sorry!

I have a good selection of tools and shims as well.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • COG#: 9331
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 06:16:54 pm »
I miss this as well!!!!  :-[  I also live in the Raleigh area......
Sorry!

I have a good selection of tools and shims as well.

Good to know! My 2nd adjustment will be due in no time!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 07:35:51 pm »
Related to shims.   I'm amazed how few shims the dealers keep in stock.   I went to a large dealer / service department and they had a rather small assortment in stock, no where near what I needed for my bike to complete.  This is a dealership with Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Indian/CanAm, etc. with 4 stroke snowmobiles also so they should need an assortment often.    Another reason why I did the valve adjustment myself and got the shims next day online.   I put in the optimum shim size....not just close.   Something like that they know you would never be able to see or tell what they did but it would be done in their eyes.

kinda falls on why a lot of dealerships in the past, have done the "all are in spec' thing, leaving folks to assume they actually did the job called for...
I always traded shims with my local dealers, they never had an issue with it, and were happy to accommodate, but I did walk in and ask at one place, that I knew had no clues.. and was told by their parts and tech guy "we don't re-use them, we toss them, you aren't supposed to re-use them in other bikes..."  :-[ :-X ::) then proceeded to pull out a Hot Cams shim box, with a dozen shims in it, and tell me he can "order what I need..."

ennnnnnnnhhhhhh. :-\ :-\ :-\ :rotflmao:

I always still suggest to folks, when doing this job, and you have a set of micrometers in hand ( not calipers, a true micrometer) to measure the head thickness of each cam valve "cup/barrel", and record these during the process... it really does allow a more efficient use of range when trying to find the "perfect" clearances during your shim charting and swap efforts. Those parts can be swapped with zero worry. Just like a shim.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gtskev

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8081
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2018, 12:27:19 pm »
Is Fred still selling the dvd's he made?  Those saved my life!
Kevin,  No Bucks? No Buck Rogers...  Dick McGehee, HiBay 1, 1986

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:36 am »
I’m originally from North Carolina, which I still live there! I’m in California now and literally 9 miles away on my odometer from 26,000. Really dreading the idea of doing this job, but I’m going to use a local place called Moto Guild that offers their garage to people who need to use it for these types of things and mechanics on site who you can pay for their time. So I will get the bike stripped down and get to the point where it’s time to make the valve adjustments and then leverage the mechanic if needed. Otherwise, I’ll end up spending $200 total to store the bike (up to 30 days which obviously won’t be needed—I might need 3-5). 200+ the cost of all parts and other stuff I change out as a crapload better than the stealership!

The fun part? I’ve NEVER done this before, and have Canyon Cages. Great......

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:31 am »
I believe I remember Steve In Sunny Florida saying once, "If you think you can do it, you probably can.  If you think you can't do it, you probably can't."  Wise feller that Steve.

Offline Slambo

• Tricycle
  • USAF (ret) - B-52 RN
  • COG#: 12545
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 12:02:17 pm »
I didn't get the exact mileage, but I believe it was a 2014 with ~30k on the odo.

All eight exhaust valves were tight, at the bottom end of spec. We adjusted all eight up to 0.009".
Two of the intake valves were tight.  We were able to get seven where we wanted (0.006") but the best we could do on the last was 0.005" due to a lack of local availability on the proper half-size shims.

Interesting coincidence...did my valve adjust at 18,250 miles (also a 2014) and also had 10 of 16 tight (7 exhaust and 3 intake)...3000 miles later now and running good
2014 C14
2006 KLR 650
2005 HD ElectraGlide

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 02:16:58 am »
I’m originally from North Carolina, which I still live there! I’m in California now and literally 9 miles away on my odometer from 26,000. Really dreading the idea of doing this job, but I’m going to use a local place called Moto Guild that offers their garage to people who need to use it for these types of things and mechanics on site who you can pay for their time. So I will get the bike stripped down and get to the point where it’s time to make the valve adjustments and then leverage the mechanic if needed. Otherwise, I’ll end up spending $200 total to store the bike (up to 30 days which obviously won’t be needed—I might need 3-5). 200+ the cost of all parts and other stuff I change out as a crapload better than the stealership!

The fun part? I’ve NEVER done this before, and have Canyon Cages. Great......

If you made the hidden cuts in each of the left and right fairing, then you can remote them (the fairing) around the in-place canyon cages. You don't need to remove the canyon cages to do the valve check/adjustment. If I recall, however, on the right side you may need to move one slightly out of the way to remove a bracket, but none need to be completely removed. I've complete 2 valve adjustments with them on.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 11:50:12 pm »
Interesting! Thank you! Someone else on another thread said they MUST come off. So, 3 follow up questions for you then. 1.) At what point in the entire valave adjustment process do I need to begin worrying about the cage in terms of loosening a portion of it as you mentioned? And 2.) Where and how exactly so i do this “cut” for the faring b/c I def want to! And finally 3.) Did you buy Murph’s valve adjustment kit? Is it necessary? Trying to save as much money as possible as you might imagine :)

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 03:46:44 am »
Did you buy Murph’s valve adjustment kit? Is it necessary? Trying to save as much money as possible as you might imagine :)
I did buy Murphs kit.  And I would buy it again next time.  I find the cost of the parts minuscule compared to the risk of having to tear everything apart again to address a leak.

That said, if your budget is tight, then you may consider inspecting and re-using any gaskets that seem serviceable.  Some people even push the spark plugs well past the Kawasaki service interval.  If you choose to go this route, the only part that you will absolutely need is the "black" silicone gasket maker.  Anything beyond that is "as-needed".

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:34 pm »
Interesting! Thank you! Someone else on another thread said they MUST come off. So, 3 follow up questions for you then. 1.) At what point in the entire valave adjustment process do I need to begin worrying about the cage in terms of loosening a portion of it as you mentioned? And 2.) Where and how exactly so i do this “cut” for the faring b/c I def want to! And finally 3.) Did you buy Murph’s valve adjustment kit? Is it necessary? Trying to save as much money as possible as you might imagine :)

I replied to the message you sent. Nope, the canyon cages DO NOT need to come off. Let me know too if you want a pic of the location I made the hidden cut on each of the fairings so you can finagle the fairings around and off cages when you need to perform the valve adjustments, air filter change, coolant servicing, etc. Well worth it!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2018, 05:57:22 pm »
Welp, today's the day gentlemen (and ladies): I'm officially going to begin my valve clearance inspect, coolant change, steering stem bearings re-grease, air filter swap to k&n, and radiator cleaning job! I've ever done these operations on this bike, and I've NEVER done valves before. I'll have a mechanic with me and will be using a pro shop's space to do all this work myself. Very excited to learn a ton, but also know this is going to take a long time. If anyone has last minute suggestions, let me know! I plan to label all nuts, parts, etc, in baggies and set down plastics in easy-to-reassemble type puzzle pieces which should help.

I have canyon cages, but the fairings (confirmed) were cut by the previous owner so I'm good to go there.

Thanks!

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 06:24:21 pm »
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book