Author Topic: Valve Adjustment C14  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Valve Adjustment C14
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2018, 06:53:59 pm »
Ha!

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2018, 07:13:58 pm »
Welp, today's the day gentlemen (and ladies): I'm officially going to begin my valve clearance inspect, coolant change, steering stem bearings re-grease, air filter swap to k&n, and radiator cleaning job! I've ever done these operations on this bike, and I've NEVER done valves before. I'll have a mechanic with me and will be using a pro shop's space to do all this work myself. Very excited to learn a ton, but also know this is going to take a long time. If anyone has last minute suggestions, let me know! I plan to label all nuts, parts, etc, in baggies and set down plastics in easy-to-reassemble type puzzle pieces which should help.

I have canyon cages, but the fairings (confirmed) were cut by the previous owner so I'm good to go there.

Thanks!

1) You should just plan on getting the Canyon cages off right away.

2) Take lots of pictures

3 )Take even more pictures.

4) be patient
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:17:03 pm by Sailor_chic »
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2018, 01:14:57 pm »
Just to update everybody, I got to the point where I removed the lrft-side heat insulation and left subframe but had to call it quits because the shop space I was using was closing at 10 PM. Heading back today and will do everything else. Took me about 3 1/2 hours to get to that point because I have never done anything to this bike yet & the service manual is a huge pain in the a**. Took hopefully enough photos and labeled baggies

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2018, 06:59:25 pm »
If my memory serves me correctly, it took be 7 hours to get to the point of having the valve cover off.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 02:42:08 pm »
Sounds about right--and FYI to anyone doing valve changes. If you have CANYON CAGES and your fairing IS CUT, you DO NOT need to take off the cages to do a valve clearance check or adjustment....I just did it over the weekend and the cages stayed on...I had no problem at all....a couple of bolts on the cages come off, but the cages themselves still have other bolts that hold them off, it's just the subframe that needs to come off and fairing stay, so the subframe must be moved from behind the canyon cages....it's easy

Offline Shredran

• Training Wheels
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 02:44:56 pm »
I am at 26,400 miles and didn't need to adjust any valves...a cal intake valves were on tighter end but it wasn't worth changing...I'm gonna do another clearance check in 20k more miles, at which point I will adjust them and replace those shims...I ride mellow and dont spend much time in upper RPMs....I did also:

- change coolant to engine ice
- change clutch fluid
- change all brake fluid
- change to k&n air filter
- oil change
-Used Murph's valve kit to replace all soft part gaskets when doing top end cover, crankcase cover, etc...
- Replaced all spark plugs with new ones (check gap using feeler gauges if you can)

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 02:36:13 pm »
Sounds about right--and FYI to anyone doing valve changes. If you have CANYON CAGES and your fairing IS CUT, you DO NOT need to take off the cages to do a valve clearance check or adjustment....I just did it over the weekend and the cages stayed on...I had no problem at all....a couple of bolts on the cages come off, but the cages themselves still have other bolts that hold them off, it's just the subframe that needs to come off and fairing stay, so the subframe must be moved from behind the canyon cages....it's easy

You could also stand on one foot and do the entire project, but why. Same with the cages, sure you can keep them on, but why? Just 4 bolts and 3 nuts and they are completely out of the way. Plus re-installation of the fairings is much easier.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 03:44:50 pm »
You could also stand on one foot and do the entire project, but why. Same with the cages, sure you can keep them on, but why? Just 4 bolts and 3 nuts and they are completely out of the way. Plus re-installation of the fairings is much easier.
I agree.  I helped another C14 owner do a valve adjustment on their bike w/canyon cages.  We worked around them, however, I would rather remove them, next time.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:51 pm »

:)) :)) :)) :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :rotflmao: :)) :))

I agree x100 with you, couldn't have said it better... :great:
Same thing goes for when i say I remove the fuel tank during the service... I guess you don't have to, as I'm told.... but why not? It sure saes me from constantly thinking about not dinging it up, or scratching it, and provides a safer place to 'set stuff' during the job...
The more clear the access is to the job at hand, the more visible everything is, and the less stuff you have to reach around while working... a couple more bolts.... after removing all the other ones prior,  no brainer.
 :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...