Author Topic: Valve Adjustment C14  (Read 3050 times)

Offline mike

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Valve Adjustment C14
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »
Trying to avoid the stealership if I can.  Anyone in the Raleigh NC have experience with a valve adjustment and sync for a 2014?

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: Valve Adjustment C14
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:24:52 am »
I just did the valve adjustment on my 2009.  Went as smooth as one could hope.  I'm in Chapel Hill, NC.

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:56 pm »
Would you be interested in making a few bucks and potentially showing me how it's done?  I like to do my own work when possible, but shadowing someone for the first time makes sense for this job. 

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »
I'm not sure I would accept any cash, as I'm not a professional.  But I am an enthusiast who has done a fair bit of wrenching (and enjoys it).  I'd be happy to help you out with the adjustment.

Do you have a garage and decent tools?  Or do you want to come to mine?

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:09:05 pm »
makes me want to jump on a Southwest super saver flight just to learn :)
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
I have tools but probably need to pick up a torque wrench and a decent set of feeler gauges. No workspace, so if you are willing to share some space in your garage I'd greatly appreciate it!  Happy to provide frosty adult beverages, pizza, wings or whatever you are up for.  In the meantime, I'm going to order Murph's C14 Valve Adjustment kit.  I'll be in touch once this comes in.  Thanks!!

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 07:22:59 pm »
Yea, I can spare my garage for a few days.  Let me know when you want to schedule.

I assume you'll want to wait to buy shims until we measure the current ones?

Offline TicTac

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11256
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:44:53 am »
makes me want to jump on a Southwest super saver flight just to learn    :)

Makes me want to jump on my bike and ride there just to watch.    :) :) :)

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 03:59:20 pm »
Yes, I considered buying a shim kit but hoping I only need to buy a few in the end.  Let me know if you have any suggestions where I can source them up locally or if mail order is my best bet. 
Just order the Murph Valve kit and will likely order a new gasket for the chain tensioner for extra measure.

Thanks!

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 04:25:15 pm »
For what its worth, I found this to be a valuable tool when I did my valves.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-right-angle-screwdriver-92630.html

The bits that come with it aren't of much use for the valve adjust project, but its a tremendous help with metric allen bits. https://www.amazon.com/ALAZCO-9-Piece-Shock-resistant-Strong-Metric/dp/B06XTZ1HN7/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1529083402&sr=8-10&keywords=metric+allen+bit+set
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »
Yes, I considered buying a shim kit but hoping I only need to buy a few in the end.  Let me know if you have any suggestions where I can source them up locally or if mail order is my best bet.

We can try Team Powersports in Raleigh or Sport Durst in Durham...  They didn't have what I needed, when I tried, however.

I ended up ordering Pro-X shims from ridersdomain.com.
I ordered on a Sunday and paid $20 extra for "next day" shipping.
I expected them to be shipped Monday and delivered Tuesday...  However they didn't actually ship until Wednesday and it was delivered Thursday.

Unless you have a compelling reason otherwise, I'd suggest doing your spark plugs and air filter, since we'll have easy access.  New coolant is a good idea, too.  If you do want to do coolant then we can just pull the radiator and have tons of access to the valves.  A gallon of Type-II coolant from a Honda car dealer is inexpensive.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 04:59:41 pm »
I ordered my shims from Jake Wilson.  They were not very expensive and all were in stock.   Ordered on a Tuesday 5pm, delivered 1pm next day, didn't pay for extra shipping, was amazed.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:41 pm »
I looked for Jake Wilson's site and I see it is now Riders Domain. 

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:12:46 pm »
For what its worth, I found this to be a valuable tool when I did my valves.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-right-angle-screwdriver-92630.html

The bits that come with it aren't of much use for the valve adjust project, but its a tremendous help with metric allen bits. https://www.amazon.com/ALAZCO-9-Piece-Shock-resistant-Strong-Metric/dp/B06XTZ1HN7/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1529083402&sr=8-10&keywords=metric+allen+bit+set

Thanks for the tip!

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 06:15:32 pm »

We can try Team Powersports in Raleigh or Sport Durst in Durham...  They didn't have what I needed, when I tried, however.

I ended up ordering Pro-X shims from ridersdomain.com.
I ordered on a Sunday and paid $20 extra for "next day" shipping.
I expected them to be shipped Monday and delivered Tuesday...  However they didn't actually ship until Wednesday and it was delivered Thursday.

Unless you have a compelling reason otherwise, I'd suggest doing your spark plugs and air filter, since we'll have easy access.  New coolant is a good idea, too.  If you do want to do coolant then we can just pull the radiator and have tons of access to the valves.  A gallon of Type-II coolant from a Honda car dealer is inexpensive.

I upgraded my Murph's order to include plugs so that's covered.  Might as well pull the radiator - it could use a good cleaning.  I'll grab some coolant and filter as well.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 09:44:38 am »
Riders Domain was fast on shipping when I did my valve adjust. I tried to order a variety ahead of time but of course there were 2 or 3 sizes that I needed once I got in there that I didn't order. Still, they were pretty darn fast even with regular shipping. Good luck with the valve adjust.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Tricycle
  • mabupa
  • COG#: 12757
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 10:02:39 am »
Great to see someone so willing to help you. I, like the others said, would also love to have time to go on a road trip from Florida to NC to enjoy some good riding and learn how to do this job. That’s one task I’m a little worried about on this bike, but I’m only at 6k miles or so on the ODO, so I have some time.

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 08:22:48 pm »
Yea, I can spare my garage for a few days.  Let me know when you want to schedule.

I assume you'll want to wait to buy shims until we measure the current ones?

The rest of my parts/tools should be in by Wed night.  Let me know how your schedule looks.  I'm available evenings and weekends anytime.  Thanks again for the offer to help - very much appreciated!!   

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 08:31:35 pm »
When you guys get it taken apart, maybe you can help me decipher the numbers printed on the shims. I'm in the middle of the process now and am stuck trying to figure out what size each shim is. Page 2-28 of the shop manual...

I highly recommend buying an 80 pack of lunch sized ziplocs, masking tape, and a sharpie for bagging and tagging bolts and assorted pieces. It has made my experience a lot more relaxing knowing it'll be easy to know where it all goes when I'm reassembling.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 08:55:20 pm »
When you guys get it taken apart, maybe you can help me decipher the numbers printed on the shims. I'm in the middle of the process now and am stuck trying to figure out what size each shim is. Page 2-28 of the shop manual...
Which markings are giving you a hard time?

The markings on my shims all matched what was in the service manual.  But I used a micrometer (Mitutoyo 103-129) to double-check them, as well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:01:48 pm by P07r0457 »

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 08:59:44 pm »
The rest of my parts/tools should be in by Wed night.  Let me know how your schedule looks.  I'm available evenings and weekends anytime.  Thanks again for the offer to help - very much appreciated!!

I'm available Thursday and Friday evenings, from ~4:30pm onward.
Saturday I'm free all day.
Sunday I'm free until 4pm.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »

I guess I'm missing what you are asking, as the chart there is pretty clear.
the marking number on each shim, coorelates to it's thickness per the chart,
shim number on r/h side of chart, actual thickness on l/h side of chart.
numbers with a dash (-) between them, are at the top of that chart, and decoded as per the picture, the 2-3 shim, denotes a -23 (Dash Twenty Three)

also note, you should ALWAYS measure each shim, with micrometers, to double insure yourself the shim is what the marking says... a cheap Micrometer that reads to 4 (.000X) decimal places is suggested, McMaster Carr has one perfectly suited for very cheap, no need for major expense

https://www.mcmaster.com/#2114a41/=1dcvb40

also, when doing clearance, using shimstock that gives .0005" in a stack, helps determine what you have
assuming you use Inch measurements, and convert using a calculator. which I do.
I use these, along with others, stacked, to get accurate measurements when I desire... worth the money
https://www.mcmaster.com/#19875a3/=1dcvd6j
https://www.mcmaster.com/#2083a12/=1dcvdu9
https://www.mcmaster.com/#2083a14/=1dcve27
you can by these strips for cheap, and only spend a couple bcks, to span the whole 'clearance range' you need to measure, with just a couple in combo.

you still have to calculate which shim you will need to install, to replace one that is now giving a tight clearance measurement.
the chart gives you your options, mind you, those measurements are in millimeters.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Tony

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 09:29:27 pm »
I'm just an idiot and saw the numbers so spaced out I thought they were separate... Derp. I have feeler gauges, and will be getting a micrometer. Disregard me lol.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:57 pm »
I'm just an idiot and saw the numbers so spaced out I thought they were separate... Derp. I have feeler gauges, and will be getting a micrometer. Disregard me lol.

no problem, after I posted I saw your 'other' posting, you have a lot to assimilate in a very short time span, so I'll leave you to your work at hand.

best of luck

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline mike

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 11:31:46 pm »

I highly recommend buying an 80 pack of lunch sized ziplocs, masking tape, and a sharpie for bagging and tagging bolts and assorted pieces. It has made my experience a lot more relaxing knowing it'll be easy to know where it all goes when I'm reassembling.

Good tip!  I also plan to take a lot of pictures during the process, helps me visualize all my steps when I look at them later.