Author Topic: Valve check/adjustment  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Training Wheels
  • Retired fireman and 911 Dispatcher, Vietnam Vet
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11782
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Valve check/adjustment
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 01:33:14 am »
I'm with Upstate Pete. I will have mine check one day at an U/K mileage. On my Goldwing I finally had them checked at just over 80,000. Still well within specs. Now at 123,489. I have more faith in the bikes than the tech people calling for inspections. I think their liability lawyer team has more to do with maint. mileage than the design engineers. That's just me. May bite me one day. Will see.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »
I'm very glad to see others have neglected the recommended valve service intervals also. I stopped at my dealership around 20,000 miles, and mentioned a clearance check to the lead mechanic. He just looked at me like I was nuts and said, "is it making noise?". I said "not that I know of" so he had me start it,. listened to it a bit, and said, "I'll tear it down as much as you like, but I'd leave it alone".
I just can't get my head around the tightness issue. These things are shim under the bucked. I'd think they would wear (over time) loose, rather than tight. Just what wears to make them tighter?

I wonder if Kawasaki Corporate would want to know their mechanics are doing this at an 'authorized dealership'......

IMO find a new one unless you've gone to the service manager and said who is this guy and why is he telling me this....

Will most bikes need adjustment? Most likely no.  But CHECKING it physically is the only way to know.

Offline Wirehairs

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 02:10:24 am »
I am fairly mechanical but I do not want to get in over my head. Would checking the valve clearance myself and then taking the bike to a mechanic if warranted be a good strategy? Are the valves usually in need of re-shimming at 24k miles?

Nervous in Birmingham

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 11:36:49 am »
I am fairly mechanical but I do not want to get in over my head. Would checking the valve clearance myself and then taking the bike to a mechanic if warranted be a good strategy? Are the valves usually in need of re-shimming at 24k miles?

Nervous in Birmingham

Dowhat?

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:24 pm »
As i get closer to needing to inspect my valves (18K) I am wondering a couple of things:

1.  If I do the valve check myself, what will that do to my extended warranty from Mama KAW??

2.  If I go to a Dealership, and they say skip it -- what will THAT do to my warranty?? I'm 99% certain, that If I said
     "put that in writing for my warranty" they'd INSIST on doing the work THEN....or they SHOULD anyway.  ::)

3. Since I already have several non-OEM "upgrades" done to my bike (dual exhaust / Flash), what ramifications will
    inspecting the valves on my own (or not at the Dealership) have on my warranty??  Isn't it already VOID, due to my mods?
    (theoretically)

I do understand that warranties will typically only be voided if the Manf. can directly prove that any modifications made to the bike
CAUSED the issue, and thereby void the original or ext. warranty.
However --

I have never heard of any Kawi dealer denying warranty work based on similar modifications here on the forum....has anybody ELSE??

I have done valve checks before, but I'm reluctant to do it on this bike simply due to the tear-down involved.
However -- I don't tend to trust Dealerships, and or mechanics to do this kind of work to completion and to my level of satisfaction.
It's a catch-22.

gr

..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »

Nervous in Birmingham

TROLL. :-X

Dowhat?
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 11:07:59 pm »
Oh boy,

You guys are going to kick my a** for this, but my 2012 has 52,000 miles with nothing but regular oil, and filter changes and one set of plugs.

I'm not surprised the motor has not exploded due to lack of valve check.     

I LOVE it! :beerchug:

I seriously doubt the motor will explode.

My valves were done the first time at 64,000 with 9 tight & again at 120,000 with all of them tight. 2 having almost no clearance. Considering doing them again at 200,000 just to satisfy my curiosity on how they moved after that mileage.

Cliff   :beerchug:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405