Author Topic: Valve cover leak, seeking tips?  (Read 331 times)

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11037
  • Membership Level: Active
Valve cover leak, seeking tips?
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »
This is the 3rd time my valve cover has started to leak badly. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this?
The manual says not to use RTV. But I'm not sure why this keeps happening. Every install I feel I've done right no leaks...but then a year later, xxxmiles, not sure how many miles, sure enough, it starts to leak...
Sometimes from the front lip, like in this picture but almost always by that #1 cylinder corner...
Funny, I don't get that front sensor leak like so many have posted here, just the valve cover.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Valve cover leak, seeking tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »
I'm not convinced it's the valve cover leaking.  Look at where the leak is happening, it's from the cam position sensor and it get blown up to the valve cover by wind when underway.  Get the oversized o-ring from Murph's Kits and you'll have this fixed.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 06:21:33 pm »
Get the oversized o-ring from Murph's Kits and you'll have this fixed.

Since I'm in here, I'll be doing that, and checking the valves.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:51:26 pm »
The positive stop system that stops the valve cover from over- compressing the seal actually under- compresses the seal. And it leaks. There are several fixes, all a little sloppy (not extremely precise is what I mean by that) and some work well.

My own solution is to use RTV sealant as a 'shim' by putting a bead onto the valve cover, then the seal, then installing the valve cover onto the head and starting, but not tightening, the screws. After the RTV cures, tighten the screws and there will be more pressure on the seal.

The imprecise part is that it is tough to know just how much you are raising the seal. What I think allows this to work is that the seal is quite thick and made to compress in the first place, so is tolerant of some variation in how much it is compressed.

BTW- I clean the valve cover with soap and water so that the RTV actually adheres to the valve cover. If it does stick correctly, the seal will pull off the head and still be stuck to the valve cover the next time it is removed. If it is stuck, I just leave it and re- install without touching anything; the seal is not a gasket and is not expected to be replaced every-time the cover is removed anyway.

Brian

This is the 3rd time my valve cover has started to leak badly. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this?
The manual says not to use RTV. But I'm not sure why this keeps happening. Every install I feel I've done right no leaks...but then a year later, xxxmiles, not sure how many miles, sure enough, it starts to leak...
Sometimes from the front lip, like in this picture but almost always by that #1 cylinder corner...
Funny, I don't get that front sensor leak like so many have posted here, just the valve cover.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:09:52 am »
Well all back together, currently no leaks. We'll see what happens of the next 6 months or so... :)