Author Topic: Valve Cover Oil Leak and or Cam Sensor.  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12343
  • Membership Level: Active
Valve Cover Oil Leak and or Cam Sensor.
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:48:47 pm »
So It appears I have the infamous oil leak on my 2012 Concourse I have about 6000 miles on It.
I bought the bike last year with 1900 miles on It. I know several people have had this issue. I am
wondering is this something Kawasaki has a known tech service bulletin on? It looks like quite a
job. I'm guessing any kind of warranty is out of the question. Sorry for being a dummy. Has anyone
paid a dealer to have this done? any ideas on cost?  >:( thanks!
Ron D.

Offline JDSCO

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Valve Cover Oil Leak and or Cam Sensor.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
Smoke is an indicator when you shut down?

It's a failed o-ring in the valve cover.

If you are so inclined, the replacement of the o-ring is not complicated at all. You do have to disassemble the fairing and tank to gain access and that is the cost factor for a dealer to do it.

One can learn a lot about their machine by performing this type of maintenance.

While your at it, you should check valve clearances or have them checked.

I do not know what a service would cost!

Be lucky all day and get there first
AJ Foyt

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »
The dealer will replace the o-ring with another Kawasaki o-ring and it will leak again.  Murph's has the oversized o-ring that will resolve the issue permanently:

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=528

As noted, it's easy to do and it's something that I'd not trust the dealer to do properly.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline mattchewn

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »
Ron,
The job is not "hard", it is tedious and has a lot of incremental steps that need to be followed. Most people are capable of doing the work with a reasonable amount of tools and patience. First REQUIRED TOOL is a factory service manual! I have been into dozens of these bikes and the valve cover and Cam sensor O ring are not a quick job. I would expect a dealer to charge somewhere in the 4-600$ range including parts.
You can do this yourself for about 200$ including the purchase of a manual!
Matt

I have a used 2012 factory manual for sale as I wrecked my '12 and now have a 15 with a '15 manual.
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:49 pm »
Smoke is an indicator when you shut down?

It's a failed o-ring in the valve cover.

If you are so inclined, the replacement of the o-ring is not complicated at all. You do have to disassemble the fairing and tank to gain access and that is the cost factor for a dealer to do it.

One can learn a lot about their machine by performing this type of maintenance.

While your at it, you should check valve clearances or have them checked.

I do not know what a service would cost!

The o ring that leaks is not on the valve cover, it lives up front, in the head... and as noted will not seal with the OEM ring... thus the new improved one Murph is now selling..
Also note, he doesn't need to remove the valve cover, and check valves until he puts more miles on it.... why create another possible leak, this year.?

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:23:01 pm »
Thanks for the quick response guys! I started the bike this morning and it had sat for about a month. Major smoke from oil that had collected on the headers. I did take all the plastics off to expose some of the valve cover and wow it's burried
 lol. I did see alot of oil on front of the cover as well as a sensor that was on the front. Matt I am interested in the manual!
Ron D.

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:29:09 am »
Here is my suggestion for what it's worth.   Ride the crap out of the bike.  Make it your mission to enjoy mile after mile.  Many miles this summer.  Burn through sets of tires.  Next winter, do the valves yourself, they will be due.  And replace it then.  Tighten header nuts too.  The murphs kit of gaskets includes the oversized one (I believe was originally an mob production?). 

Two birds, one stone, a great summer of riding.   

Offline connie and me

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:08 am »
Mine has this problem also, its too bad u can't see it, I can see the front of the motor all oily wet, but that's it. funny mine developed this leak while in winter storage,  noticed it, but could not tell where it was coming from. 28,000 miles.
2012 Black

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 01:39:20 am »
IF the bike is still under warranty Mom Kaw will replace it. If not and you already have the plastic pulled your 80% there. MOB's O ring with generous lube and your good to go until you hit the 15 K and have to go into the valves.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:58:47 am »
+1 on what Angelo said. I lived with my oil leak until I did the valves at 26K. I had an oily mess on the left side of the motor that dripped down and collected in the fairing on that side. After replacing the exhaust cam sensor o-ring all is well now. Good luck.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 11:37:22 pm »
thanks! I know what your saying Its just kinda against my religion being an oil leak
because I assume It will continue to get worse left alone and I sure wouldn't want  It
to sling toward back tire. I wont be doing anything else till end of week I guess Ill figure
out what Im going to do by then. Defiantly got to order a few parts  from Murphs looks like.
Again thanks for the input! very much appreciated.
Ron D.

Offline JDSCO

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 01:27:20 am »
RON, your gut is correct!

I cannot believe some of the input regarding "living with an oil leak".

The only reason not to repair, not to maintain your machine is cost.

Reliable motorcycles and aircraft never "live with an oil leak", never.
So why would a motorcycle enthusiast, a Concours owner jeopardize their safety and the reliability of their machine.

I have an extensive aviation career and have owned dozens of motorcycles.

This "living with an oil leak" is not good advice.

Let the retaliation begin!
Be lucky all day and get there first
AJ Foyt

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 08:19:48 am »
If it is just the seal and not the valve cove then its really not that hard of a job. I did mine in about 3 hours. Then I figured out it was the valve cover  ;D
 But hey 2-3 bucks and some time you may find your problem solved. Its worth a shot.
 MOB has a thread outlining how to do it. You dont have to pull the tank. and the hardest thing getting the plastic off.

2008 C-14

1980 KZ1000 Shaft  (sold but not forgotten)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 05:24:03 pm »
I'll also add that if it is only the sensor o ring, even tho it appears to have a lot of smoke, it really is a very minor leak, only a drop or two usually, and not anything to really freak out about... because it drips directly on the header right at the hottest point by the head, it does produce a copious amount of smoke at startup, but immediatly burs off and shouldn't keep smoking past a few moments of riding down the road... at least in my experience of all the ones I've seen so far. When I decided to find the o ring I ended up selling, mine had been doing this for almost a year, btu as it only drops a single rop or two, aft sitting on the sidestand for a few days or weeks, I wants concerned in the least. There was very little oil on the front of the engine, in reality it couldn't have been more than a half teaspoon accumulation over a yars... just looked messy.

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 07:46:13 pm »
That was my experience.  Started doing around July - not even smoke really, just the smell and knowledge of what it was.  Took care of it this winter with the valves.  Was some mess to clean off the cover.  So far, no smell or smoke with the new oversized seal.  Probably close to 3K miles already this year.   If it bothered me, would have done it immediately. 

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 12:08:06 am »
RON, your gut is correct!

I cannot believe some of the input regarding "living with an oil leak".

The only reason not to repair, not to maintain your machine is cost.

Reliable motorcycles and aircraft never "live with an oil leak", never.
So why would a motorcycle enthusiast, a Concours owner jeopardize their safety and the reliability of their machine.

I have an extensive aviation career and have owned dozens of motorcycles.

This "living with an oil leak" is not good advice.

Let the retaliation begin!

I do agree! I just wouldn't be comfortable going on long rides knowing I had oil seeping from somewhere.
Ron D.

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 12:12:05 am »
If it is just the seal and not the valve cove then its really not that hard of a job. I did mine in about 3 hours. Then I figured out it was the valve cover  ;D
 But hey 2-3 bucks and some time you may find your problem solved. Its worth a shot.
 MOB has a thread outlining how to do it. You dont have to pull the tank. and the hardest thing getting the plastic off.

I am pretty new as far as navigating around this site but Its GREAT! wealth of information is outstanding!
I did go ahead and order complete valve kit and with plugs from Murphs.

Now with that said.... dumb question of the day..... what is MOB and where would I find those instructions? lol
Ron D.

Online Bud

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 12:23:58 am »
I just wouldn't be comfortable going on long rides knowing I had oil seeping from somewhere.

It's not the leak that gets ya....it's not replacing the oil that leaked....just sayin

As far as what is a MOB?  He's one of those old curmudgeny old crusty types :-\ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: that knows the C10 inside and out.  If you can check your feelings at the door, he'll be very helpful to you in regards to knowing your C10. :)

Online Bud

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:19 am »
Whoopsie....guess I meant to say C14 :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 01:34:11 am »
Whoopsie....guess I meant to say C14 :)

well, C10 also.. seeing as I have had a couple also..
with that said, the leakage is not constant, it doesn't pump out a hole...
it weeps past an o-ring, while the bike sits, because there is a small area behind the spot oil pools in while sitting on the side stand, and after a few days, or weeks, a drop may weep out.. don't fear riding the bike, there will be no catastrophic oil splooosh and failure.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just a minor puff from the single droplet of oil on the pipe... don't freak out...

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 09:45:01 am »
Yea, there's a reason Murph includes the larger cam senor O-ring in the valve adjust kit. It's just a good thing to do when that project comes due. Ride safe.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:57 pm »
Well there is the sensor! and oil is definitely dripping from It so guess Ill just try the o-ring seal for now.
Ron D.

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »
Well now you have your answer.  :great:

I bought the oversized O-rings from MOB, but couldn't make myself replace the exhaust cam sensor on my 2011 because it was bone dry. Sort of like don't tempt Murphy as in Murphy's law, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I came to the same conclusion again after the second valve check. It still doesn't leak. I did put the oversized O-ring on the intake cam sensor because that one had a mist of oil around it, but technically can't leak very much.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Ron

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:46 pm »
 >:( Unfortunately for me this didn't fix the leak!  I replaced the o-ring with the over sized one. cleaned all the oil off and ran bike for
a bit let It set then looked and oil all over again. I guess valve cover seal is bad. Really kinda sucks this is my first Kawasaki and Its
not going to well lol love the bike but dam.... my Suzuki's Honda's and Yamaha NEVER had any issues at all such as this.  I have the
gasket but looks like a whole lot more work ....
Ron D.

Online 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 09:00:26 pm »
Sorry about that :(. This first part won't help you, but my valve cover never leaked either. Also bone dry.

I did replace the gasket on the second valve check.  Your gasket is likely good, but it may need to be cleaned along with the mating surfaces, and if you follow the directions in the FSM, you will see where to apply the RTV sealant. I also replaced the valve cover rubber washers, since old ones might not provide enough pressure on the gasket when the valve cover bolts are torqued. The bolts bottom out with a shoulder, and can't be over tightened, so that's where the new washers come into play.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......