Author Topic: Want to siphon the tank mostly empty.....Any ideas to reach the bottom of tank?  (Read 559 times)

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Does anyone have any known devices that'll reach the bottom of the tank on the c14 from the filler cap?

I have some gas in it that has ethanol on it and I Want to siphon it out vs going for a ride in 100f heat in TX and replace it with ethanol free since its going to sit a bit more for the summer.

I've tried plastic tube that comes with siphon devices but it curls up and wont drop to the bottom of the tank.

Is there a steel tube or aluminum tube or something out there that someone has had success with that I can attach my siphon to with a clamp, to reach the bottom?

( I dont have any interest in taking the bottom fuel line off )

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
I have been able to get most of the gas out of mine with those cheap plastic tubing siphon hoses, you just have to work it around to get down in the tank areas under the seat. Pain in the a** but it works.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
I have been able to get most of the gas out of mine with those cheap plastic tubing siphon hoses, you just have to work it around to get down in the tank areas under the seat. Pain in the a** but it works.

I tried one when I drained the tank to take it off.  The problem was the tank filler rim was shaving pieces of plastic off and then I had THAT to deal with.

I did get most of the gas out with that.  But I've been searching, but havent found something with a long enough siphon hose. 

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
Try a softer rubber tube that flexes easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Rubber-Latex-Tubing-Amber/dp/B001D8TG6W

Then, add a "fuel clunk" (Google it) to weight the tubing down to the fuel.

RC plane modelers use these to keep the fuel line in the fuel when they roll their planes upside down. Keeps the fuel flowing.

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14

RC plane modelers use these to keep the fuel line in the fuel when they roll their planes upside down. Keeps the fuel flowing.

Now that may well do the trick. I will look for the items and give it a try.  The latex wouldnt dissolve in the gas?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:59:59 pm by JTX »

Offline flashback50

• Scooter

I tried one when I drained the tank to take it off.  The problem was the tank filler rim was shaving pieces of plastic off and then I had THAT to deal with.

I did get most of the gas out with that.  But I've been searching, but havent found something with a long enough siphon hose.

Yeah I had that problem of the shavings too.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
I use a 1/4 ID clear vinyl tube with about 18 inches of bare copper house wire pushed inside to make is formable.  Reaches nicely into the corners, and the wire still leaves enough room inside the tubing to siphon the gas out.
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
I did the same thing on a C-10 but I used a coat hanger attached to outside of small vinyl tubing.
Assume it would work on a C-14.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
I use a 1/4 ID clear vinyl tube with about 18 inches of bare copper house wire pushed inside to make is formable.  Reaches nicely into the corners, and the wire still leaves enough room inside the tubing to siphon the gas out.

Now thats an idea I like too.  I've found nothing otherwise online.  I might be able to find a more rigid hose.  But the wire idea may be the best one yet. 

At least I have some options now.   :beerchug: :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Siphon? Syphon????
that just sucks...
TTake the tank off... get a bigazzz funnel, invert the damned tank, and pour the crappy stuff out.. then, pours a couple of quarts of fresh gas back in, swirl it on both sides, to get the crap outta the bottom corners, and turn it upside down again over the funnel and recepticle..repeat as needed till everything comes out..

Man.....this ain't rocket science, far from it.... get midevil with that biotch... when you think its "done", take a wire coat hanger apart to make a wire, bend the end into a "U" shape, and rip up an old tee shirt to make a swab, stick it on the coathanger and squeeze it shut, and swab the bottom corners out good, then refill with a couple quarts, and do it all again....

Damn, what is wrong with people?  Siphon?  Oh, hellno.... :-\ :-[ :-X :-[

Seriously people... wtf? Pull the tank off the bike, do it in a manner that does something...

Siphon??? Come on..... :-[ :-[ :-X
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:48:25 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life

Dude.....
I just threw up in my mouth..

Are you serious?

OMG....
I will have Hans flog you fifteen times more, because even he, a surrstrumming eater, would not ever be so rediculously....schtuuupitt....
Iiiiii seee nothing... iiiii seee nothingggg... undt uber alasss don't be a dumbkopf... :rotflmao:

Offline CW

• Street Cruiser
I believe I'd just fill the tank, add Stabil, and call it done.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
Taking the tank off and sloshing it around just spreads the crap all over inside, and makes a big job out of an easy one.

But do the rag on a coat hanger trick, and do it several times as MOB says.  That works.

Oh, and give the gas you take out to someone you don't like. ;D
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
I believe I'd just fill the tank, add Stabil, and call it done.

I dont want alcohol in my gas tank or fuel system for months.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
 :-\
Silly me.... here I was explaining the method for a C10 tank.... doh.... because I had answered another question about one same day...
The C14 is uber easy, compared to that,  once removed, setting it "upright" and removing that huge plate on bottom, and pulling fuel pump out, allows you to easily dump the fuel... I've prolly done mine 5 times so far, after storing it for longer periods... even using stabil, its a good idea to do this on occasion.. you can inspect the fuel pump, and also swab the tank out thru that huge hole... :great:

Offline OKC14

• Training Wheels
This thread is entertaining. Thank you MOB.

Offline khager01

• Tricycle
Just go out for a ride early in the morning like before sunrise, run it out, then fill it up and put stabil in it, that's what I do.  Unfortunately I don't have a non-ethanol option. >:(
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
Just go out for a ride early in the morning like before sunrise, run it out, then fill it up and put stabil in it, that's what I do.  Unfortunately I don't have a non-ethanol option. >:(

We've only had one here locally for 6-8 months.  Its regular 87, but I dump some octane boost in the tank and that should bring it up to spec for the c14.

I only do it in the off season, which is summer time when I'm not off weekends.

Offline cuda

• Street Cruiser
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
Just use a match 
Puff
gone...  :o
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline khager01

• Tricycle

We've only had one here locally for 6-8 months.  Its regular 87, but I dump some octane boost in the tank and that should bring it up to spec for the c14.

Yeah, I know what you mean, mine is in the garage with sta-bil in it right now.   I am in Granbury, TX.   I keep saying to myself why did I buy a new bike in July when I can't enjoy riding it. >:(     But I did get it broke in,  took a few weekends of getting up early and getting back to the house by 9:30 AM.  Waiting for that first cold-front hopefully by late Sept. bring it on I am ready! :motonoises:
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14

Yeah, I know what you mean, mine is in the garage with sta-bil in it right now.   I am in Granbury, TX.   I keep saying to myself why did I buy a new bike in July when I can't enjoy riding it. >:(     But I did get it broke in,  took a few weekends of getting up early and getting back to the house by 9:30 AM.  Waiting for that first cold-front hopefully by late Sept. bring it on I am ready! :motonoises:

Yeah folks that dont live here don't know.  By 10am, its silly hot.

Offline OKC14

• Training Wheels

My riding friends and I have a saying: "Every day is a good day to ride... some days are just better than others."  Last month I rode through Death Valley at 116 degrees--and I just kept saying that phrase over and over when I felt like passing out. LOL

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14

My riding friends and I have a saying: "Every day is a good day to ride... some days are just better than others."  Last month I rode through Death Valley at 116 degrees--and I just kept saying that phrase over and over when I felt like passing out. LOL

OH Trust me I understand heat. I rode to Arkansas a few years ago in August and it was 104f on the temp gauge on the c14.

Theres only a few months a year when I dont ride here in TX.  July AUG is two of them.