Author Topic: Warms Up then dies  (Read 971 times)

Offline Isaac

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Warms Up then dies
« on: May 04, 2019, 12:16:29 am »
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, although I've been on the ST1100 forum for a few years. I picked up a 2010 C14 a month ago for $2500 in good condition with one significant issue: It will warm up just fine, but as soon as the warmup cycle is over it dies, refusing to idle.

It can idle if I feather the throttle, and runs fine otherwise (I got insurance and rode it 250 miles back to my house) but won't idle on it's own. I tried adjusting the idle screw to no avail. I think it may have come off the throttle bodies.

I'll be opening it up with a more experienced mechanic on the 12th, but before I do I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this and may know what the likely culprit could be. Thank you all. I look forward to participating more on this forum in future (and hopefully under better circumstances).
-Isaac

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
Re: Warms Up then dies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 12:48:34 am »
When you say: ' I tried adjusting the idle screw to no avail' do you mean the adjusting knob dangling on the left side?
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 01:15:38 am »
if you turn and turn and turn it.. counterclockwise, I would think that after the first full turn, I'd be trying the opposite direction... just to see.. hopefully he didn't keep going until the adjust backed out fully, and dropped...

that would be a bummer...
 >:(

I'm thinking that is exactly what happened...  :-[

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:15:44 am »
Hi Isaac!  Welcome to COG!  Hoping MOB is right and the problem is just that the adjuster is detached!  Even with the problem, $2500 is a sweet deal for a 14.  There are guys that are asking that for a C10.  How about some pics of the new ride?  If you have problems with pics, pm me and I'll get those up for you.  Welcome!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline IBAJIM

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:31:40 am »
Isaac:  I'm in the same boat as you are:  a previous ST1100 owner who now has a C-14.  Except I paid a bit more for my '08. 

How many miles on your '10 ?
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011 & 2019) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3  All Yooperland SS1K ( 2019)
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:33:27 am »
Indeed, welcome and good deal! I concur with the previous hypothesis. Not sure if there might be an idle speed sensor or airbox temp sensor unplugged, but you will get a good first lesson in Connie Tupperware removal.

I once got a year old, 2006 super low mileage GSXR-6000 for 1100.00 cuz they shop could not get it to run after a minor lowside. They had the tip over sensor upside down. I felt a little guilty, for 10 minutes. Hope your fix is as simple.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:05:25 pm »
Hi Isaac!  Welcome to COG!  Hoping MOB is right and the problem is just that the adjuster is detached!

there is a reason I said Bummer... if that was the culprit, (which I'm pretty sure it is...almost positive...)

as it's a real p.i.t.a. to get in there and re-insert it if it popped out, and the spring and washer dropped also...... a real... p.i.t.a.
plastic side panel removal, subframe member, and main harness, all cover up access to the linkage down there.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: it's the reason my Rostra Cruise control is sitting in a box... because I'm not pulling all that stuff off again until my next valve inspection... >:(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:20:53 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 09:30:04 pm »
Welcome Isaac, sorry to hear of your new-to-you bike woes, but hopefully it will be behind you soon and you're out on the roads with no other probs
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Isaac

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 08:45:08 pm »
if you turn and turn and turn it.. counterclockwise, I would think that after the first full turn, I'd be trying the opposite direction... just to see.. hopefully he didn't keep going until the adjust backed out fully, and dropped...

Hey all, sorry for the long time in responding. Thank you for all the replies!
This is what I think happened as well. I didn't crank on it much at first, just a little turn to the left, and a little to the right. When nothing changed I did turn it a lot, and nothing made a difference, so I think it was detached before I got it.

Offline BadgerApaches

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 09:53:01 pm »
Drain the fuel, change the filter(s). Run an ethanol free Premium in it. 
Legal Services for Manufacturers world wide.

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 02:51:52 pm »
I was wondering about the fuel filter too.  My 2010 had about 45k on it when I took the filter out and cleaned it.  I can't imagine that it would have made it another 20k.  Note that the filter is not serviceable according to K but search for the threads here on how to replace or clean it if you find this could be it.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 02:55:37 pm »
BG44K will actually clean the fuel pump filter. Cheap insurance against having to replace it due to crap gas.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline bezier kid

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 03:48:58 pm »
Try opening the gas cap after it is warm and see if that helps.  Won't hurt to try.

Offline Isaac

• Big Wheels
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 05:01:42 am »
I was wondering about the fuel filter too.  My 2010 had about 45k on it when I took the filter out and cleaned it.  I can't imagine that it would have made it another 20k.  Note that the filter is not serviceable according to K but search for the threads here on how to replace or clean it if you find this could be it.

I'll check that out. Why isn't the fuel filter technically serviceable? That sounds crazy.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:44 am »
It is - well, listed by K as a service kit for later models.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 05:40:41 pm »
It is - well, listed by K as a service kit for later models.

well, not sure it's "listed", but it never became available as a "kit" until '17, and unless the dealership got and kept up with "service bulletins", likely they still don't know... The dealer I just got my filters from, like 2 weeks or so ago, never knew about it... even tho he had 10 filters in stock, and when I told him about the kit, he rolled his eyes when I told him the price, and part number...   ::) ::) ::) ::)  then he looked it up, and was shocked at the price...
He asked "what did you guys do when these went bad, and the warranty was expired? Stiff price for 3 small o-rings, a filter, and 2 tiny screws..."...
I told him we been using the same filter for 10 years now... "thats' how we rollllll baby..."  :rotflmao: :motonoises:

99999-0521   KIT,FUEL FILTER

I also pitched a "biotch" and told him Kaw should have included the big o-ring, you use at the mounting plate for the pump assembly to the tank, as I have re-used mine 3 times so far.. luckily...
"I bet Kaw could have jacked the price up over $100 for the kit had they done so...." was his reply.

I told him "no way, we'll just buy a new inner pump, with all the rings, and stuff for $70, off the net..."
Kaw is crazy with that $395 for a pump assembly...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:53:43 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:07 pm »
I read a pictorial someplace on how to change the filter. My thought is to buy a used pump off  e bay change the filter at my convenience and install when I have the time.  Some day when my TO IT is fixed, I'll do that. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Isaac

• Big Wheels
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 02:19:50 am »
Well, I solved it everyone. It was indeed the stupid idle adjust screw. It had been backed off so far that even my many turns hadn't brought it back in contact with the throttle bodies. When the plastics came off, there it was grinning at me. Bike runs great now, just needs that flash everyone is talking about.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 09:59:28 am »
Excellent, always nice to see a problem solved.  :great:
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 06:19:28 pm »

Well, I solved it everyone. It was indeed the stupid idle adjust screw. It had been backed off so far that even my many turns hadn't brought it back in contact with the throttle bodies. When the plastics came off, there it was grinning at me. Bike runs great now, just needs that flash everyone is talking about.

wellll.. that was easy..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :great: :motonoises: