Author Topic: Water pump  (Read 3268 times)

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Water pump
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:44 pm »
I've had my bike in the shop several times now for a leaking/seeping water pump. It doesn't leak much, but it is enough to stain the bottom of the pump every other time I ride. So far, under warranty, they have replaced the pump, then the pump seal, and then a head gasket... Well, the pump still leaks/seeps. This last time in they told me that it is normal for the pump to leak ( Kawasaki calls it staining) ,so long as the coolant doesn't hit the ground, and charged me $35... I'm thinking they want me to go away. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:44:48 pm by RickC14 »

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
Re: Water pump
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »
...they have replaced the pump, then the pump seal, and then a head gasket... Well, the pump still leaks/seeps.

The shaft seals in Kawasaki water pumps are not replaceable parts (There are two of them). There are only two seals that can be replaced, one is the o-ring type seal between the two halves of the pump housing, and the o-ring on the driven end of the pump where it fits into the engine casing. The o-ring on the back of the pump has nothing to do with coolant leaking...it only keeps oil from leaking out of the transmission.

If the front shaft seal fails, coolant will leak out of the weep hole on the bottom of the pump, and drip on the floor/ground. If the rear shaft seal fails, the coolant can potentially leak into the engine, if by chance the weep hole was plugged with dirt/debris.

I can't comment on the head gasket leaking....I've not experienced that personally, but the pump leaks should be easy to identify. Well, ok not necessarily 'easy', but not impossible.

I've had more than one Kawasaki motorcycle that had coolant leaks that appeared to be the water pump, but every time it was a loose clamp on the hose attaching to the water pump. The coolant will weep/dribble along the pump, and drip on the floor, ground, etc. It usually looks much worse than it is. In each case, I tightened all of the clamps, cleaned up the coolant stains, and never had a problem again.

Not sure if that helps or not, but that's what I've experienced with Kawasaki coolant leaks.

Cheers,
Rem. ;D
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:52 pm »
There is a visible coolant trail that goes from the weep hole to the bottom of the pump. I keep cleaning it off, and it keeps coming back.

I dunno, I'm guessing the head gasket was a separate issue that they just happen to find.   

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »
There is a visible coolant trail that goes from the weep hole to the bottom of the pump. I keep cleaning it off, and it keeps coming back.

I dunno, I'm guessing the head gasket was a separate issue that they just happen to find.

If there is coolant coming out of the weep hole, then the pump has failed. This means that the front shaft seal is leaking, and it cannot be replaced as an individual part. You have to replace the whole pump.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see the part about Kawasaki saying that it's ok. Maybe it is...I have no idea. That's a new one on me. Maybe one of the C10 guys can chime in...these pumps have been the same on Kawi's since they've been liquid cooled.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:32:41 pm by Rembrant »
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
Water pump
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:38:25 pm »
Hey all,
It's my understanding that the C10 and the C14 share the same water pump. The water pump on my bike seeps out the weep hole almost every time I ride. On separate occasions Kawasaki has replaced the pump and pump seal. The pump still seeps and now they are telling me it's normal. Out of curiosity I set up a poll to see how normal it is. http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,49841.0.html Please vote and / or give any advice . thanks

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:39:41 pm »
I posted a link to the C10 forum. Thanks

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:48 pm »
where did you get that information? the c-10 WP is pn 49044-1083; the c-14 is 49044-0006. not the same pump. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Mortech

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12208
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:51 pm »
Seeping is not normal and the C10 and C14 water pumps are NOT interchangeable . Your best option is to replace the entire water pump .
1999 Kawasaki Concours - Conrad
2006 Honda CBR600F4i - Restless
2009 Kawasaki Concours - Constanza

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:24:48 pm »
where did you get that information? the c-10 WP is pn 49044-1083; the c-14 is 49044-0006. not the same pump. Steve

Someone on the C14 forum mentioned it.. So, guess your votes won't do me much good after all.  :-[

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:25:37 pm »
Hey all,
It's my understanding that the C10 and the C14 share the same water pump.

No no no...I didn't mean the identical pump...I just meant that they are all basically the same in design, sealed the same, and driven the same.

I figured the C10 guys might have more insight as to whether the weepage is considered normal. They've been around a lot longer than the C14.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:23 pm »
Seeping is not normal and the C10 and C14 water pumps are NOT interchangeable . Your best option is to replace the entire water pump .

No no no....I didn't mean that they were identical/interchangeable....I just meant that they were the same in basic design and sealing. That's all.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:50:03 pm »
OK I get it now - , the weeping is not normal. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 01:16:23 am »
Hey Rick...
Remember this?

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,41497.msg253262.html#msg253262

Ever since I replaced my water pump(due to a faulty mechanical seal), I have had no more coolant leaks.
I'm sorry to hear that you're still dealing with this problem; something is definitely amiss...
You've had the water pump replaced and it should not be leaking. This sorta makes me think that you may have some other problem going on besides just the water pump.? :017:
Hope you get it figured out buddy-

-Jesse

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:34 am »
Hey Rick...
Remember this?

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,41497.msg253262.html#msg253262

Ever since I replaced my water pump(due to a faulty mechanical seal), I have had no more coolant leaks.
I'm sorry to hear that you're still dealing with this problem; something is definitely amiss...
You've had the water pump replaced and it should not be leaking. This sorta makes me think that you may have some other problem going on besides just the water pump.? :017:
Hope you get it figured out buddy-

-Jesse

Yeah, me too, but Kawasaki seems to think I've used up my warranty privileges.  ::)

Offline wild man

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 6174
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:02 am »
I bet it weeps only when the bike is cold
Bill
USAF Ret, KC0IGL
AMA#333772, IBA#19247
2003 Connie Constance 125K and counting
2007 KLR 650, 1997 ATK 605

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »
I bet it weeps only when the bike is cold

So do I. :'(
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Packmule

• Tricycle
  • Random Hoosier Packmule
  • COG#: 11004
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »
I just ordered a new pump for mine. Here's a direct quote from the Clymer inspection notes:

If the coolant level has been dropping, inspect the water pump weep hole for signs of leaks. If leakage is noted, an internal seal is worn; replace the water pump.

$161 bucks from Murph was the best price I found. Sorry

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:02 pm »
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:21 pm »
Should I move this to the C14 section? I am guessing the OP has a C14. moved

Is your your bike leaking oil or coolant? The seal on the C10 is a separate, replaceable item, that can be sourced as a seal, from any place that sells seals. So I would venture a guess the C14 is also, though it might need a different size.

It's 'normal' for any motor to leak coolant or oil. Some do, but that just means there's a problem. The seal, the shaft it seals to, or the bore it fits in aren't any different than any of millions of other pieces of machinery. One of the three isn't right, or perhaps the bearings that hold the shaft in place are worn or inadequate to the job. Careful inspection of these items should be done, not just a hurried replacement of parts.

davida, I split your post off: Coolant leak
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:09:07 pm by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 12:01:15 am »
Should I move this to the C14 section? I am guessing the OP has a C14. moved

Is your your bike leaking oil or coolant? The seal on the C10 is a separate, replaceable item, that can be sourced as a seal, from any place that sells seals. So I would venture a guess the C14 is also, though it might need a different size.

It's 'normal' for any motor to leak coolant or oil. Some do, but that just means there's a problem. The seal, the shaft it seals to, or the bore it fits in aren't any different than any of millions of other pieces of machinery. One of the three isn't right, or perhaps the bearings that hold the shaft in place are worn or inadequate to the job. Careful inspection of these items should be done, not just a hurried replacement of parts.

davida, I split your post off: Coolant leak

Leaks coolant, but not all the time. Went for a 50 mile ride today, and the pump did not leak.   

Offline RickC14

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 12:10:25 am »
Pump is easy to look at. All you need is a mirror and a light.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 09:42:59 pm »
For those folks that do use the search function, and go back thru time to find solutions that may not be currently found, I'll add this reference as an update on this issue, and bring it up to date... just to keep the data recorded..
Solutions can be found down in this thread...
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/another-coolant-leak-could-this-be-normal/msg632007/#msg632007

:great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...