Author Topic: Welcome to Myrtle Beach: was that U?  (Read 498 times)

Online Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
  • CDA# 0440
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10851
  • Membership Level: Active
Welcome to Myrtle Beach: was that U?
« on: March 10, 2020, 12:29:11 am »
Pulling out of Redline Cycles on 501 heading East (actually south, as 501 is designated) today at about 3:15 pm. I am on silverdammit 2019, you are on black C14. Passed me in left lane, then passed traffic I was sitting behind and cut right to go south on 31, where I am going. Never caught you, but you went east on 707 toward Murrells Inlet and I went west toward Socastee. Was that U???
Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Online Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
  • CDA# 0440
Re: Welcome to Myrtle Beach: was that U?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:09 am »
Looks like it was Joe, whom I met while getting my new FOBs programmed recently. He had tire-valve issues. Hey Joe, if you see this, see yourself as a COG member. You could learn way more about your bike than the few things I showed you the other day. Thanks, COG, for the new recruiting cards I got in the mail recently. I wish I'd had them when I met Joe, but I hope to see him again at the dealer or around town. ;D
Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Offline d04011

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:46:00 am »
Very nice to see there are C-14 owners in the Myrtle Beach area.  Not many back in my neck of the woods, I have a better chance of seeing a unicorn...  I am a C-14 owner but my bike is back in Maine.  We have a beachfront condo in North Myrtle Beach which only has a tower garage and doesn't allow motorcycles.  Unfortunately, she already had the condo before I came along...  I have thought of bringing a bike down and getting a storage unit but it would be sitting for a REALLY long period of time between rides.

We come down here in January, go back to Maine for a few weeks in February for snowmobiling and then come back to North Myrtle Beach again until early May.  We stay in Maine from May until after the Holidays.

As you are aware, pretty much everything here is closed down so we are regretfully heading back to Maine on Sunday, more than a month earlier than usual.  Although I see lots of bike on the road down here, I won't be able to get my bikes on the road until sometime in May since the roads have been sanded/salted big time during the Winter and we need big rains to wash them off...

Really missed the big car show last week and hope the projected rescheduled time in late September actually comes to pass.  I enjoy it so much I'll probably make the trip back here for that event, barring any hurricanes that time of year...

Stay safe and have a great Summer!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:01:48 am by d04011 »
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT; 2016 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE; 2015 C-14 Concours; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring; 2012 H-D Fat Bob; 2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Standard; 1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 11:48:01 am »
Around this time of year we are down in Surfside City (Just south of Myrtle Beach and north of Murrells Inlet) for a week+ in a friends beachside condo. We drive the cage and can make it in 12hours from CT. I like this area and I know a couple of people who have retired down there. From what I gather usually the hurricanes follow a path north of there closer to Wilmington NC or further south from Myrtle, but that doesn't mean you don't get high surf flooding and big rainfalls when they do. Is Greg's Cabana doing takeout, that is a hot spot for good grub and suds at frugal pricing. Next time we get down there we will have to look you guys up.
Take care and stay healthy.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Online Uncle Vern

• Street Cruiser
  • CDA# 0440
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 01:34:45 am »
Always looking for more coggers in the Myrtle Beach area, even if ya'll are only here part-time. For the gentleman from Maine, I have an idea. My semi-retired next door neighbor hauls stuff all over the country (next week WVA-CALIF-WVA-Long Island). If you are going to be here for a few months, he could fetch you a bike from Maine and take it back for you. He is a retired Army Ranger and a great guy. His current ride is some kinda Harley-clone chopper (big dog?) but he has had lotsa bikes. Fully experienced in bike transpo -- he took me to fetch Miss Traveller when I bought her in NC in February.

If either of you guys want to do a little riding -- or just get together -- next time you're in town, send me a PM. Once the virus blows over, we could meet to eat somewhere and/or I could show ya'll some of my favorite Horry County backroads (Hwy 19 and Pee Dee Hwy are both great, assuming you like swamps  ;D).

I didn't realize the big Pee Dee Street Rodders car show was cancelled/postponed :??: I always try to hit it at least one day, although it's not as good since they moved it into town -- the old site had waay more room and easier parking. As for hurricane season, I live inland on high ground in Conway. My solid-brick house has weathered every cane since 1927, so I never evacuate.

Thanks for replying and keep in touch :great:

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 07:48:37 pm »
I always seem to time my trip the week ending on the day before the Air show. Timing may not be right but it's still fun watching some of the planes and jets practicing over the water while sitting on the beach sipping down suds especially the Blue Angels. Next year I will have to time it right for the air show, maybe not as there are no crowds that week.
I imagine you are not going to get much of the early transient travelers (snowbirds) stopping for awhile on their exodus from Florida to the north this spring.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim