Author Topic: WhadaYallmaikathis?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7402
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
WhadaYallmaikathis?
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:54:48 pm »
Was riding home from work yesterday in intermittent thunderstorms with the low fuel light flashing and had to do a hard left hand come about turn because of an accident ahead that left the road impassable, and when I throttled back up, the bike would hardly go passed 1/4 throttle opening without cutting out similar to hitting the rev limiter and then it would come back suddenly and then start cutting out again. I thought I might have had some trash or water in the tank and the hard over turn moved it around and got into the fuel intake. Anyway this is going on all the way home while in the rain and got home and got into the garage, started reving it up in neutral with the same symptoms. Switched it off and started it back up and it ran perfectly. Rode to my favorite non ethanol gas station this morning to fill it up and it also ran perfectly. I have no idea what that was about. Any ideas?

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
Re: WhadaYallmaikathis?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:32:03 pm »
I call it the golden age of technology.   :))

sounds like perhaps some safety do-dad went off internally and was trying to retard the motor?  or it was just whacked up.  appears that rebooting fixed it though.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:30:28 pm »
There is an unusually tiny fuel filter inside the fuel pump and it's quite possible yours is clogged and that, as you suggest, the evasive maneuver pushed some of the loose crap into the filter where it stuck.  Later letting the bike sit allowed some of it to fall off.

Kawasaki doesn't list the filter as a separate part for the C14 and the complete pump assy. is crazy expensive.  But other models use the same PN 49019-0013 and it's available for about $12 from dealers.

There is a documented procedure in several places on how to remove the pump, remove and replace the filter.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:55:40 pm »
First I don't think it is a fuel filter issue but it could be.  I was able to remove my fuel pump.  Disassemble it to the point of removing the filter.  Cleaned that sucker up and put it all back together.  You would not believe how nasty it was on a 2010 with 50k and still be running.

Did you happen to notice if there was any codes or flashing lights during the transgression?   It would be interesting to see if there are any codes tossed and recorded.

My guess is water in some area it should not be.  Tipping it got it acting up and time let it evaporate enough to clear.  I seem to remember something about this in another post but I can not remember what parts were getting wet.  Hope someone here will remember.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:58 pm »
Here is the post I was thinking of... 
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/problems-riding-in-the-rain-at-night/

Your issues may be just a different manifestation of this.  Or not  :??:
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:42:17 pm »
You might be thinking a bit too complicated for this.

I haven't had this happen to me with my c14 yet but, I had this happen with both of my c10s that I owned.

Since we all know fuel gauges on motorcycles are a "best guess" once you get below a 1/4 of a tank, you never really know just how much gas you have.

I would chalk it up as 'you were almost out of gas'. And when you turned the remaining gas in the tank flowed over to one side and for a moment no fuel was available to pump into the motor. When you were riding home it's possible that you were dealing with air in the lines which is why it continued.

I always use the fuel gauge for reference but, I always have a trip odometer clocking my mileage on the fuel tank. I never fully trust the fuel gauge or lights or anything. I just use it as a reference.

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:58 pm »
There is no "Other Side" of the C14 gas tank.  There is only the lowest point and the pump is at it.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »
Yes I know. That's why I said the fuel went to "one side" not the "other side".

Either way. It's an idea and something I've experienced myself.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
Smithr's link could be helpful. The low fuel ideas are also plausible. But for $0.50 worth of grease ill be packing my flash to pass switch and I've never even had a problem in the rain. Even did an IronButt almost entirely in the rain. Maybe some bikes got less silicone or grease in that switch during assembly.

Also, Tim, "WhadaYallmaikathis?" is a great word. Urban dictionary watch out   :beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
Yes I forgot to mention, no trouble codes flashed because of this and I was looking for them on the screen. I thought about the filter but wouldn't explain the reset after the ignition was turned off and restarted with the problem gone. Damndis thingieverseen.

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:29:41 pm »
And it's just shy of 16k on the mileage.

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »
Since the road was wet, could it possibly have been the traction control kicking in?

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:41 pm »
Traction light didn't come on and couldn't give it much throttle anyway. Also it was also doing it in neutral sitting stationary in the garage until switched off and restarted.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 10:43:23 pm »
My guess is water intrusion someplace.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:42 am »
Just a computer that went whacky. Happens on everything. Reboot and off you go. Don't look for a reason - there may not be one if it does not happen again soon.

Offline DiverRay

• Tricycle
  • Ride Safe, Ride Fast
  • COG#: 12498
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 03:41:47 am »
SEU, Look it up. Single Event Upset. When I worked for Xilinx as a "reliability Engineer", this is what I was working on. One lousy neutron hits the wrong part of a chip in the computer, and it's corrupt. Data is bad, and things don't work. Shut down, restart and chip is programmed once again, and works.
Yes, this REALLY IS science!
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Concours
1978 XS1100 Yamaha (winter project)

Offline G-Mazz

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9048
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 05:14:58 am »
Tinsailer:

I had this EXACT problem and symptoms with my '08.  While riding all of a sudden the engine felt like it was cutting out on one or more cylinders.  It was an intermittent issue, but no surprise when it happened.  Weather, fuel level, nothing consistent seemed to cause the issue nor could I do anything to replicate the issue.  Like you, the remedy was to shut down and restart the engine.  The symptoms reminded me of running a fouled plug in a two-stroke engine.

I went through and checked everything I could think of that would cause an interruption to either fuel delivery or electrical power to the engine including most of the items mentioned in previous posts. 

It ended up being a BROKEN GROUND CONNECTION where the battery cable bolts to the frame.  The factory cable end that bolts to the frame developed a crack around the screw hole.  It APPEARED to be a solid connection, but obviously I didn't take it apart and really check it.  I'm guessing the poor ground caused a voltage drop to the computer and caused the engine to cut out.

It is easy to get to and work checking connections to both cables, cleaning and reinstalling both at each end from the frame and battery.  I hope this helps you.

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »
Bad grounds are certainly an issue with the 14s and the first thing you check when they start acting goofy.
Rode it to work this morning and it ran slick as glass. I am going to go back and check all of the battery connections and grounds.

Offline BlueZX10R

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11715
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
I had a similar issue on my ZX10R.  Turned out it was the kickstand switch.  Some water got in it, and whenever I would turn a certain way, the bike would stutter and cutout.
-James
2013 Concours 14, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 CB750, 1977 TS250B

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 03:02:41 pm »
I might want to add this isn't the first time in the rain by far, I've been in more than one deluge with it before but it was raining while this was going on. The kickstand idea is plausible.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »
I might want to add this isn't the first time in the rain by far, I've been in more than one deluge with it before but it was raining while this was going on. The kickstand idea is plausible.

Are you considering the flash-to-pass switch at all?
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 05:01:45 pm »
It just hasn't happened before. I'm kind of thinking that the hard bank to the left ran water off into something that didn't like it.

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Push Mountain Road
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:06 pm »
In the Satellite Operations world this is known as a SEU, or Single Event Upset.

An anomaly that occurs once then disappears.

Sometimes the cause is never explained, just noted for future reference.

Water may have splashed up and caused a CAN BUSS anomaly or the ground is intermittent.

Check the ground, check the ground, check the ground.
South Central Area Director

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 01:17:00 am »
kv5e, all.

Reminds me of a job i once had 80 feet under ground:Read the checklist, read the checklist, read the checklist!  :))

phil

Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Scubadoguk

• Scooter
  • poo poo occurs
  • COG#: 11248
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 12:04:20 pm »
And it's just shy of 16k on the mileage.
Sounds FUBARd :) send it to me Ill take it off ya hands even let you trade it for c10 I have :)
poo poo occurs, British by birth American by choice.