Author Topic: What do you like and dislike about the C14  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
What do you like and dislike about the C14
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »
Hi there...I’m on an ST1100 atm, but am looking to eventually upgrade to a more modern machine. These kawi’s have always caught my eye. From what I’ve read the 15’s+  seem to have some bugs worked out like the linked braking sensitivity and a lower 1st gear. The earlier ones wouldn’t scare me though. I’m just curious if you all could share what you like and dislike about your ride (and what year it is). Just trying to educate myself a little bit, before pulling the trigger...

Frank

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What do you like and dislike about the C14
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:45:24 pm »
Hi Frank, nothing I don't like about my 2014, especially since Steve's decal flash.  Like most owners protest, it could be a little less top heavy.  C14's reliability is it.
BTH - Jul 26-29
RWTW - Sep 7-10

'14 C14 Black

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:22 pm »
My only gripe, the lcd display is not bright enough to see in shadows to bright sunlight. I have an o8, it will probably keep going forever.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:59:56 pm »
I like it....a lot.

Good seat now that I changed it.

Good windshield ...now that I changed it.

Bike feels really good. Acceleration is smooth and strong....now that the ECU is flashed.

OVerall this is the best bike I have ever been on. Great brakes. Great engine. Good comfort

Only downside is the height. When one of my shorter friends wants to stand over or ride it they can't really touch comfortably.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48:16 pm »
Lots of power but runs like a pussycat until you light it's fire. I'm tall so I dropped the pegs, raised the bars, replaced the seat. Love it.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:15 am »

First bike I've owned that the ergo's fit me from day one... no need for my fomfort, to buy aftermarket bars, risers, seat, pegs, etc.
Performance... no aftermarket pipe was needed, I love my "cutdown" OEM spud launcher, it works for me.. so, I get to spend my money on gas, and tires.. which is good..
And maybe, just maybe, a SISF MR flash this year...maybe...
Also first bike I've ridden that changed my mind on hauling a trailer behind it.. which it does effortlessly.. love it..
Dislikes?
Damned heavy biotch to push around in my garage, andntight spots... every year, it gets heavier... I swear it gained #100 in 10 years of owning it..

It eats tires up, and drinks fuel... but that is expected...maybe that's why it feels so top heavy... :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:29:38 am »
Bueller....Bueller....
SOrry, had to. My middle name is Buel, so I am allowed one.
I put a fair amount of miles on a couple of ST-1100's and a 1300. Fine machines, smooth, fun. I would say the C-14 is heavier by feel and maybe real world pounds, mine is a 2013. But I am a big Kaw fan and that growl and power and reputation just does it for me. YRMV.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:33:39 am »
I’m 6’1” 280 so I can identify with changing the ergo’s. I really like my ST, but obviously it has its limitations since they never really changed anything during their production run starting in ‘90.
One of the things I REALLY like about it is the 7.4 gal fuel tank. What kind of fuel mileage are you guys seeing? I know it’s about 1.5 gal less than the ST, but if the mileage is better it would be a moot point. The bags seem to have about the same capacity....
Is there any common quirks about these bikes you guys can think of? I’ve never had a bike with traction control and ABS (although the ST’s did have those options even back in the day)

Frank

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:40:20 am »
At normal and legal speeds, I get 42, 44.5 with my wife riding along (for some reason). Stock mpg is about 38. Most bikes that are flashed get 42-45 or so. I'm 6'4" and 250# plus gear.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:50:15 am »
2011 C14  My biggest dislikes would have to be the stock seat is painful at best, (fixed this with a Baldwin GT seat) footpegs need to be lowered since I'm 6'2" tall, and handlebar height was too low so needed 2" spacers. Plastics removal are a pain when doing maintenance but not that big a deal. Likes....the motor once flashed, the looks, and an amazing handling bike at a bargain price. Overall a great package that is capable of 180 mph top speeds, 10 second quarter miles, and covers 700 miles a day if needed....something for everyone for sure....and stone reliable too!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:09:25 am by Dirtwiz »
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 02:03:31 am »
09 C14, non abs. Dislikes, engine maintenance is a pita but doable if you want. Likes, pretty much everything else. It runs all day long at whatever speed you want, has been known to exceed 200,000 miles reliably, fast/quick enough to scare you, fun at the track, NO Chain. I could probably list another dozen things I like and even a few I don't but overall this is the best All Around bike I've owned in 48 years. If you ever take one to the track it is heavy and will give you a workout but it's much more fun than free weights at the gym.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Phil

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 02:08:08 am »
The only thing that really bugs me, is the way the TPMS low battery warning comes on and hijacks the dash. Yes you can clear it, but then you ride with a bright red warning light on for a while, then the warning comes back. It wouldn't be so bad if it only happened when the battery was low enough it would fail soon, but it happens long before the battery actually dies. The latest low battery episode has lasted over a year now. Other than that, the stock seat.

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 02:21:46 am »
09 C14, non abs. Dislikes, engine maintenance is a pita but doable if you want. Likes, pretty much everything else. It runs all day long at whatever speed you want, has been known to exceed 200,000 miles reliably, fast/quick enough to scare you, fun at the track, NO Chain. I could probably list another dozen things I like and even a few I don't but overall this is the best All Around bike I've owned in 48 years. If you ever take one to the track it is heavy and will give you a workout but it's much more fun than free weights at the gym.

I would be doing all my own maintenance for sure...what’s a pita in particular? Valves?

I think all stock seats I’ve ever sat on are absolutely horrible! And I’ve sat on a lot of stock seats. I just ponied up for a RDL seat, and it was fantastic on the 2200 mile ride I just got back from yesterday...highly recommend it!

Do the grips work good, or do they get really hot like the universal ones?

Frank

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 02:44:12 am »
Likes: It's a freaking monster. Bike is so big, it does not know or care that a puny rider like me is on it. Way more power than I will ever need.

Dislikes: It's a freaking monster. A puny guy like me has no legs. I'm inseam challenged. Gravity is my biggest enemy. Never hit the front brakes while driving in slow motion. The bike is not for wimps. Expect the unexpected.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:22 am »
It takes almost as long to get to the engine as it takes to do the valves. That's the price of having a Non naked bike.
I do all my own maintenance as well and have been for many years. It's not as bad as some of us make it sound :'( . Having the FSM is a must. It was the first thing I bought when getting the C14, $74  paper version, and worth every penny.
I also have an RDL and love it.  :great:
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 03:30:19 am »
Love everything about my C14, with the exception of a small niggle. Said niggle is the back pressure which, in cold weather, ads turbulence at the back of my neck, drawing cold air under the helmet.
Maintenance is not for faint of heart. It could be intimidating, even for a seasoned mechanic. 
If you decide to ask how to do it people who had done it, DO NOT attempt to do it yourself.
Delegate maintenance to people in the know.
C14 is a gentle brute.

Cheers...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:42:44 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 10:41:57 am »
My heated grips works excellently, good linear adjustment. I like the stock seat, go figure. TPMS is a drag when lo batteries but I will just let them die. Back pressure and helmet buffeting cured with Madstad brackets, almost every big ST has to see changes to personalize airflow.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:06 am »
Like,

pretty much everything

Dislike,

No factory cc
No factory heated grips, I have an `09
Not as good of gas mileage as I'd like, but hopefully with SiSF's flash that'll improve
Small fuel tank compared to the C10 and other ST bikes
No factory dual exhaust
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline roy826

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 11:03:03 am »
I like to travel fast, it does that very well.

It handles reasonably well for it's size. Little top heavy to me but I deal with it.

I own a 2012 and I hate the linked brakes. I deal with them. Mine has a had a few problems, valve cover leakage and exhaust cam sensor oring leak. Fuel pump is the latest issue. I have done my own repairs on those. My cam chain tensioner rattles pretty loud on cold start ups but I am not addressing that as I have had this happen on Suzuki's and Yamaha's I have owned.

I have put about 10,500 miles on it in 11 months. Bought it used with 5800 miles on it. I knew about all the issues that some have up front before buying it and the deal was to good to pass up.
'12 Concours 14 GONE, '16 GSX-S1000, '15 GSX-R600 racebike, '15 WR250F, 2016 Tiger 800 XC

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 11:22:06 am »
One of the things that attracted me to this bike, was the community and availability of aftermarket parts, and upgrades. I personally enjoy working on my bike, and making it better for me.  With the support of vendors and the COG, it's very easy to source and install virtually anything you need or want to make your bike your own!

Customizing this bike to fit your individual needs and style is one of the things that makes it great, and there is no shortage of support and friends on this site that will help you get there!  :great:
Let's face it: the Connie isn't the most updated technological platform, but that also makes it reliable and easy to work on, and upgrade.

One of the biggest downsides to doing major miles is lack of cruise control.
That is solved (not easily) by adding a Rostra or McCruise, and they both work flawlessly.

For me, the hardest thing to do, most expensive, and something that was a deal-breaker for me, was dual exhaust.  Mostly for looks, and visual balance - it's been proven that the performance is a non-starter, when applying Steve's Flash.  Since Muzzy's went out of business, the only options for duals are zx-14 headers and pipes.

Steve's flash is probably one of the best, affordable upgrades for the Connie. Period.

Reliability and an extendable warranty up to 9 years, makes this one of the most reliable, affordable Sports-Tourers on the planet.

I could go on, but everybody else is covering this pretty well.

Good luck, and welcome!

gr
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:26:10 am by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »
One of the things that attracted me to this bike, was the community and availability of aftermarket parts, and upgrades. I personally enjoy working on my bike, and making it better for me.  With the support of vendors and the COG, it's very easy to source and install virtually anything you need or want to make your bike your own!

Customizing this bike to fit your individual needs and style is one of the things that makes it great, and there is no shortage of support and friends on this site that will help you get there!  :great:
Let's face it: the Connie isn't the most updated technological platform, but that also makes it reliable and easy to work on, and upgrade.

One of the biggest downsides to doing major miles is lack of cruise control.
That is solved (not easily) by adding a Rostra or McCruise, and they both work flawlessly.

For me, the hardest thing to do, most expensive, and something that was a deal-breaker for me, was dual exhaust.  Mostly for looks, and visual balance - it's been proven that the performance is a non-starter, when applying Steve's Flash.  Since Muzzy's went out of business, the only options for duals are zx-14 headers and pipes.

Steve's flash is probably one of the best, affordable upgrades for the Connie. Period.

Reliability and an extendable warranty up to 9 years, makes this one of the most reliable, affordable Sports-Tourers on the planet.

I could go on, but everybody else is covering this pretty well.

Good luck, and welcome!

gr

That’s good to know since I can’t leave anything alone that I buy. The rostra I’ve looked at and will install on the ST. Doesn’t look too bad to install, although not sure how much room there is on the Connie to do the mod. Pipes don’t bother me much these days. I got burned out on that working at a Harley dealer for a decade, lol.
I’ve looked at the FJR a little bit too, and like the bigger tank, and the factory cruise. The thing I’m not crazy with on those, is that they have a little bit too much technology in them, like the electronically adjustable suspension. Don’t get me wrong, technology doesn’t scare me, but that sounds like a complicated and expensive system. The overall price is a sticking point on that one as well, along with it doesn’t look as good either! (Admittedly the tail end I like better than the conti......)

And that’s why I’m leaning toward a ‘15+ With the linked brakes issue. I’m actually a little surprised that the don’t have a software update for that particular issue. I suppose it might have more to do with the pump rather than the programming.......

Frank

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 12:44:57 pm »
6'2 250. Aside from a taller windshield for winter riding my 08 is totally stock. 60,000 miles with no issues. I cannot see selling it any time soon. It's more than fast enough and comfortable for 500 mile days. I have no dislikes.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 12:46:59 pm »
Does the suspension have enough settings to accommodate ya without maxing everything out?

Frank

Offline roy826

• Bicycle
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »
Does the suspension have enough settings to accommodate ya without maxing everything out?

Frank

Mine does stock but I only weigh 135ish  ;D
'12 Concours 14 GONE, '16 GSX-S1000, '15 GSX-R600 racebike, '15 WR250F, 2016 Tiger 800 XC

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 03:08:01 pm »

Frank

Mine does stock but I only weigh 135ish  ;D

I haven’t weighed 135 since like 6th grade, haha!

No, the reason I was wondering, is there had to be a lot of changes made on the ST to accommodate me, lol. Just wanna make sure I don’t have to worry about that.

On a different note, I just went to the dealer, and checked out both the 14 and an FJR. I stopped listening to the salesman, when he proceeded to tell me that they were the exact same bike, other than the FJR takes a key, and the 14 doesn’t. Oh, and that they were  the same price.....

Frank