Author Topic: What do you like and dislike about the C14  (Read 2473 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: What do you like and dislike about the C14
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
And that’s why I’m leaning toward a ‘15+ With the linked brakes issue.
In all honesty, I can't tell the difference if the brakes are linked on mine. My Connie is '16. The only time I can tell it is linked is when I apply both front and rear together, the front level become a bit stiffer. When in 1st gear there is no link brakes which helps maneuver at low speed.

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 04:00:00 pm »
And that’s why I’m leaning toward a ‘15+ With the linked brakes issue.
In all honesty, I can't tell the difference if the brakes are linked on mine. My Connie is '16. The only time I can tell it is linked is when I apply both front and rear together, the front level become a bit stiffer. When in 1st gear there is no link brakes which helps maneuver at low speed.

Sorry...I meant to say with the linked brake issues ‘reaolved’. From what I’ve been reading, on the older ones, if you hit the rear brakes, the fronts would really grab more than they should, which supposedly was resolved in ‘15.

Frank

Offline Phil

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 04:33:11 pm »
Love everything about my C14, with the exception of a small niggle. Said niggle is the back pressure which, in cold weather, ads turbulence at the back of my neck, drawing cold air under the helmet.

I fixed that shortly after buying the bike in 2010 by installing the CalSci windscreen. The back pressure went away. I doubt I would have kept the bike so long had I not done that.

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 04:37:09 pm »

On a different note, I just went to the dealer, and checked out both the 14 and an FJR. I stopped listening to the salesman, when he proceeded to tell me that they were the exact same bike, other than the FJR takes a key, and the 14 doesn’t. Oh, and that they were  the same price.....

Frank

Well he doesn't know what he's talking about. Of course as sport touring bikes they're similar, but the fjr is more touring and the c-14 is more sport. I have a friend with a 2014 fjr, we swapped bikes a couple months ago and I spent about 90 miles or so on the fjr. it's a nice, capable bike. I wouldn't turn one down, but IMO my c-14 does everything I want  better than the FJR.  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 05:12:36 pm »
Does the suspension have enough settings to accommodate ya without maxing everything out?

Frank

Mine does stock but I only weigh 135ish  ;D

Surprised they were the same price, usually the FJR is a couple thousand more after negotiation.   You might be able to deal on the C14 better.   I would take either but I like my C14 and am happy with it.

I haven’t weighed 135 since like 6th grade, haha!

No, the reason I was wondering, is there had to be a lot of changes made on the ST to accommodate me, lol. Just wanna make sure I don’t have to worry about that.

On a different note, I just went to the dealer, and checked out both the 14 and an FJR. I stopped listening to the salesman, when he proceeded to tell me that they were the exact same bike, other than the FJR takes a key, and the 14 doesn’t. Oh, and that they were  the same price.....

Frank

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 05:27:35 pm »
Well, you guys know it, and I know that the FJR is more money...3k+ from what I was seeing. A local Harley dealer just bought this metric dealership a while back, and I’m pretty sure this guy worked there before. He didn’t seem into being there at all, much less trying to learn about what he was trying to sell. Plus, he could tell I wasn’t gonna buy anything right now this second.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:02:19 pm by Bueller »

Offline Michael

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:35 pm »
Hello all.  New to the group, joined looking for quality guidance on my first set of replacement tires, thought I'd chime in to this thread.

Picked up a new 2016 C14 7 months ago and absolutely my favorite bike out of the five I have owned, though my previous favorite was my '08 CB250 Nighthawk, for whatever that is worth.  The other three were also Hondas, in 500, 700, and 1100cc's, though not owned in that order.  Something like 65k miles in the saddle, 4.5k of that on my new connie.

I love this bike though it may kill me, it's too tall and way too much juice.  I'm 5'10" with a 30' inseam so unless I have boots with fat soles on, I can't flat foot.  Learning to use the electronics on the dash may be a thing but nothing that's really either a pro or a con.  Riding this bike is always a pleasure and since I live in Tucson, that's a year round thing for me.  First bike I have owned that literally everyone tells me how much they like my bike.  I've had strangers roll down their windows at intersections to ask me about my bike and tell me how much they like it.  I'm generally not much about being flashy but I feel just a tad cool in the saddle of this bike.  At 54 being a run of the mill guy and dad, cool doesn't happen to me very often.

Riding posture is not quite as comfortable as I would prefer, wrist fatigue is something I'd like to address and resolve if ever I take it on a road trip.

The full lowers, heated grips, and electric windshield make riding on cool mornings nothing to worry about, with a little warm clothing on at least, though I haven't seen temps below 30F as our winters are pretty mild.

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:32 am »
Hello all.  New to the group, joined looking for quality guidance on my first set of replacement tires, thought I'd chime in to this thread.

Picked up a new 2016 C14 7 months ago and absolutely my favorite bike out of the five I have owned, though my previous favorite was my '08 CB250 Nighthawk, for whatever that is worth.  The other three were also Hondas, in 500, 700, and 1100cc's, though not owned in that order.  Something like 65k miles in the saddle, 4.5k of that on my new connie.

I love this bike though it may kill me, it's too tall and way too much juice.  I'm 5'10" with a 30' inseam so unless I have boots with fat soles on, I can't flat foot.  Learning to use the electronics on the dash may be a thing but nothing that's really either a pro or a con.  Riding this bike is always a pleasure and since I live in Tucson, that's a year round thing for me.  First bike I have owned that literally everyone tells me how much they like my bike.  I've had strangers roll down their windows at intersections to ask me about my bike and tell me how much they like it.  I'm generally not much about being flashy but I feel just a tad cool in the saddle of this bike.  At 54 being a run of the mill guy and dad, cool doesn't happen to me very often.

Riding posture is not quite as comfortable as I would prefer, wrist fatigue is something I'd like to address and resolve if ever I take it on a road trip.

The full lowers, heated grips, and electric windshield make riding on cool mornings nothing to worry about, with a little warm clothing on at least, though I haven't seen temps below 30F as our winters are pretty mild.

I had this issue on my ST,  put 6” risers on. I’ve seen some 2” ones for the c14...every lot bit helps, and I’m sure they make taller ones. Or maybe different bars?

Offline 66ranger

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12423
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 01:37:12 am »
I've got a 2010 abs  and I really like it, BUT....try checking your antifreeze level in the reserve bottle...after you've spent your  free time  removing fairing(s) and finally get down to the bottle, you've shot the morning.  Then you have to replace all that plastic.  What a pain.  A simple access door would be nice and surely not that hard to engineer.  Those fairings are giant puzzle and you need a handful of 'Quick rivets' to put It back together. I can't imagine what it costs to have the valves checked with all the time killed on just getting to the engine, but I guess I'll find out someday.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:52 pm »

I had this issue on my ST,  put 6” risers on. I’ve seen some 2” ones for the c14...every lot bit helps, and I’m sure they make taller ones. Or maybe different bars?

If you get risers, get the risers that raise it up and back.   AST risers I believe is the brand name, no problem with any cables or wiring.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 & counting!
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 02:08:40 pm »
The C14 is simply the most bang for the buck period IMO. They're bullet proof, best warranty in the business. Eats miles for cross country travel, 2 up or solo. Handles the sport side of riding rather well also.

Discussing the seat, shield, bars is all a mute point. No bike will ever be built to suit everyone. With rider heights varying easily by a foot, weight by 200 pounds it simply can't be done. The vary reason for a thriving aftermarket.

All modern bikes bikes wrapped in plastic are a PITA to work on. Accessing the air filter on my V-Strom is much worse than the C14. 1800 Goldwing you better plan a full day to change a filter.

After 10 years of owning my 08 I still love everything about it & never bore with it. Would buy another in a heartbeat should mine die!  :)

With the EVO flash it gets in the high 40's on mileage. 47 - 48 is common, but then I'm old & slow.  :motonoises:

Just my.02!

Cliff   :beerchug: 

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »
Totally agree with all of that. I try to make sure there’s several things to get done instead of just 1 when taking the Tupperware off the ST. It’s a pain. The real pain is actually just keeping all the hardware straight, cause there’s a lot!
I sat on the one at the dealership, and it actually felt a lot like what I’m used to. Although I’m sure I’ll have to raise the bars and maybe lower the pegs a bit (along with another RDL seat).
I seen a post floating around on the bags ejecting themselves from the bike. How big of a deal is that? On mine that’s an issue too, and a lot of people rig a fastener up for insurance. Really digging the way they mount  on the C14, although you always have to use the key to just open them don’t ya?
What do you guys think of the optional trunk? Is it worth it, or just get a givi or bestem?

Frank

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 04:33:04 pm »
Totally agree with all of that. I try to make sure there’s several things to get done instead of just 1 when taking the Tupperware off the ST. It’s a pain. The real pain is actually just keeping all the hardware straight, cause there’s a lot!
I sat on the one at the dealership, and it actually felt a lot like what I’m used to. Although I’m sure I’ll have to raise the bars and maybe lower the pegs a bit (along with another RDL seat).
I seen a post floating around on the bags ejecting themselves from the bike. How big of a deal is that? On mine that’s an issue too, and a lot of people rig a fastener up for insurance. Really digging the way they mount  on the C14, although you always have to use the key to just open them don’t ya?
What do you guys think of the optional trunk? Is it worth it, or just get a givi or bestem?

Frank

I have the matching Kawasaki trunk.  I bought it because it matches which I like.       I believe the trunk is actually a GIVI monolock, GIVI's cheaper case.   The Monokey is a heavier duty unit.
 There are others out there that are better but I like to match.       :)

Offline oldguysti

• Tricycle
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:53 pm »
Love the C14 (mine is a 13) for....
Good looker
handles very well at speed
Ergonomics (with my bar risers)
adjustable windshield
very smooth with Steve's newest flash (very easy to do as well)
wife enjoys riding with me on it (with a backrest)

Dislikes....
stock seat good for shorter rides only. (currently using the AirHawk instead of bigger investment)
some maintenance (valve adjustment, and air filter change a real PITA)
heavy and thus slow speed handling not best, but OK
linked brakes takes some getting used to, but OK....can disable.

Hates....
KiPass is simply unnecessary cost for the benefit and adds lots of negatives (never had a problem with simple keys)
as I just found out recently....can't clear a damn ECU code easily...must ride with the LCD hi-jacked and reduced useful info.

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 03:26:21 am »
Mine's a 2016, with Canyon Cages, Puig windscreen, Throttlemeister, LED lights, and 2" risers added.  Love the bike, it's powerful but refined, smooth throughout the entire power band.  Fun to ride, looks terrific, and provides great value for the price.  Kawi made some nice changes to the 2015+ models with the lower first gear, better seat, vented windscreen, and linked brakes improvement.  My only dislikes are that it's top-heavy at low speeds, and it could use more accessory power.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:30:33 am by NinjaBreadMan »
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 03:36:26 am »
Love everything about my C14, with the exception of a small niggle. Said niggle is the back pressure which, in cold weather, ads turbulence at the back of my neck, drawing cold air under the helmet.

I fixed that shortly after buying the bike in 2010 by installing the CalSci windscreen. The back pressure went away. I doubt I would have kept the bike so long had I not done that.
I've tried that as well. I spent more than I should have on windscreens and deflectors trying to resolve said turbulence. The best I've found so far, factory set up with different garments during cold days works best for me.

Offline Colt45

• Moped
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 03:48:32 am »
I bought my '09 used with 600 miles and a full AreaP system on it.  I am almost 6'-2, 33" inseam, 77 inch wingspan.  The ergos of the bike are perfect.  I tried a ZX-14 seat and went back to the stock ZG seat.  Named it Transcontinental Ballistic Missile after it's first trip to TX.   

I don't like KiPass, but it has not given me trouble.  It's just a stupid pet trick that is unneeded.  Keep fob under the seat and have a normal key cut and you have a nice ST, sans stupidity. 
Fuel mileage is substandard, high 30s to low 40s, but I can't seem to hold a steady speed below 90 (pre-flash).   ;D
The stroke of the windshield is too short (for me).  It goes almost low enough for hot weather, but can't throw the air over my helmet all the way up. 
Early versions have limited rear vision from the mirrors.  Add Gold Wang Hot Spot mirrors on top, you're good. 

Oh yeah, the instrument backlight is red-orange.  Can't focus red light at night.  Never know my speed at night.  Another bonehead move.  Aircraft quit using red IP lights in the 80s.  Hurts more than helps.  Approaching headlights kill night vision anyway, red no use. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:52:19 am by Colt45 »
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 11:37:20 am »

Frank

You can have a couple keys cut and mount them in radio knobs or bottle caps and the bags will open when ever you want them to, remove the knob / key and there all locked up.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 12:34:22 pm »

Frank

You can have a couple keys cut and mount them in radio knobs or bottle caps and the bags will open when ever you want them to, remove the knob / key and there all locked up.

I really like this idea.

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10014
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 12:36:32 pm »
And they work well to unlock gas cap
'16 Moondust Gray

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 02:00:20 pm »
I also loathed the linked-brakes on my 2012.
They were plenty powerful but unnerving when front & rear were applied together.

After getting "used to them", I would find myself braking unnaturally every time I rode a different motorcycle. Not cool-

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 02:27:25 pm »
On every bike a person buys, there are likes and dislikes about ergonomics, {seat, windshield, bar height, ride height, etc.}
   ie; I think of those, as more a measure of preference than likes/dislikes.

My only real dislike on my 2014 C-14 is the linked brakes..
  I used the KISS Principal and did the simplest fix of all.
         "I don't use the back brake pedal".
                  Problem solved...

{Because I'm old and set in my ways} it took a bit to re-teach myself.
 But it works perfectly, and stops just as fast, because the "link system" applies the rear for me.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:14 pm »
I like the POWER
I dislike the POWER
Only when I am not in control of it or when trying to hold the weight up.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:09 pm »
I have a 2015.
Anti-lock brakes. My previous bike was a c-10, 2002. Had a very similar situation with a deer cutting me off while I was going considerably over the speed limit. With the O2, it was debateable if both the deer and I would going home to our family. With my 2015, there was never any doubt that it would end well.
Flash. Not sure why the bike is not just made that way. Makes the bike so smooth and perhaps it is my over active imagination but it seems to shift so smoothly as well.
Power: More than I will ever use.
Adjustable wind shield. On a hot day, it is nice to have the option of lowering the wind shield.

Dislikes
Stock seat. The seat does not agree with me on a long days. I don't get the opportunity to do long days very often so I have yet to upgrade.
Height. Not the bike's fault but with a 29 inch inseam, don't let your mind wander when you are about to put your foot down. With 32,000 km, I have not had any issues. Using your feet to back the bike up is nasty. I have had the opportunity to ride cruisers and what I really like is I can back up using my feet. Other than that, no.

I have zero regrets and to me, that is an important feature.

15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:19 pm »
I appreciate you guys posting up your experiences! It’s helping me kind of get a feel for the bike without even having one yet.
With that being said, I really want a green one (‘15), but I’m not stuck on one if a different year pops up. The main thing I’m kind of concerned about is the linked brakes on the older ones. Is it enough of a difference to not buy one? I’ve rode well over a couple hundred thousand miles on no abs/tc bikes, so whichever I end up getting will be a different experience for me altogether....

Frank