Author Topic: What have your done to your C14 today  (Read 38477 times)

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12802
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What have your done to your C14 today
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2018, 03:54:02 pm »
installed dual slimline PIAA horns.

Washed and waxed :)
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #351 on: June 09, 2018, 06:59:53 pm »
Installed Grip Puppies. Next to the SISF flash it is the best upgrade and I do not know why it took me so long. My right hand with the MotPort gloves was starting to cramp from gripping so hard to keep it from slipping even with a few wraps of rescue Tape. Rode home from camping via the freeway and it just takes the weight of my hand now to keep the throttle open and both hands feel relaxed and vibe free. Best 21 bucks ever!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Wolverine

• Bicycle
  • 09 Concours 14
  • COG#: 12802
« Reply #352 on: June 10, 2018, 02:33:14 pm »
Pirates Lair Rack and Backrest
Thanks

Rick

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. - 1 John 5:12

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #353 on: June 10, 2018, 02:48:21 pm »
Installed Grip Puppies. Next to the SISF flash it is the best upgrade and I do not know why it took me so long. My right hand with the MotPort gloves was starting to cramp from gripping so hard to keep it from slipping even with a few wraps of rescue Tape. Rode home from camping via the freeway and it just takes the weight of my hand now to keep the throttle open and both hands feel relaxed and vibe free. Best 21 bucks ever!

Have you had the opportunity to use the grip heaters with the and if so do the heaters work well with the puppies on?
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
« Reply #354 on: June 10, 2018, 04:50:13 pm »
Grant, they say they do not impede the heated grips, but I have not used the heat more than 5 times anyway, I have really good cold weather gloves.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #355 on: June 15, 2018, 10:24:35 am »
Finally got back on it and rode it to work.

First time with Steve's flashed ECU.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2018, 11:34:32 am »
Rode it with new Grip Puppies and tested heated grips. Turned them on high and it took maybe 1 or 2 minutes longer for me to start to feel the heat, but they were warming up, so yeah..they still work. :)

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2018, 01:16:29 pm »
Rode it with new Grip Puppies and tested heated grips. Turned them on high and it took maybe 1 or 2 minutes longer for me to start to feel the heat, but they were warming up, so yeah..they still work. :)

Good to hear got to get me some.  :beerchug: :motonoises:

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #358 on: June 16, 2018, 08:16:06 pm »
Got a passive key from the local dealership today. I really don't like going to dealerships. I know the part's $27 on partzilla.com and I know the dealership is going to want more. They want $32. OK, whatever.

If you are in the Atlanta area, you usually have to go through Mountain Motorsports as they have a couple locations and they are the closest Kawi dealership to the city. I call their Marietta location. Ask how much it'd be to program the ECU to my bike they say $110, which I had read somewhere on the forum before. I figured I'd ask around and gave their Lithia Springs location a call. Programming an ECU, $38.  :-\ So instead of a total cost of $150, it was going to be half that. Awesome. I order the key through their parts department. It's very interesting how the same company charges two different price for the same service. But of course I didn't mention that to the person on the phone.

This morning, I head over to the dealership first thing. Get there, pick up my part from the parts department, go to the service department, ask them to program it, no problem. I sign the thing, give them both keys. The service guy takes the key to the mechanic. Comes back a minute later, tells me this isn't a fob that'll run the bike, it's what the spare key goes into. Just a key holder. I tell him he's wrong, it's an RFID thing and it starts the bike, it just needs to be programmed to the ECU. He goes back in, the mechanic comes out and tells me the same thing. I tell them it's an RFID key, like a barcode. it's a passive key. They look at me like I have 6 eyes. The service guy tells the mechanic that he's on his side in the matter. I have no idea what this means. They are trying to form an ally against the crazy guy who thinks a $30 piece of plastic is actually a key? The mechanic says he's never heard of something like that and that he'd have to do research on it. So I ask him to please do the "research" while I go to talk to the parts department. He's not happy with my request. I go back to the parts guy to ask him if the key came with a number or anything to put in the Kawasaki program. He goes and talks to the mechanics while I google how the programming works. 10 minutes later, parts guy comes back to tell me they figured it out. I pay the money and hop on my bike and leave.

The system's only been out for 10 years. I guess it's normal that they've no idea how to program it. I'll try again in 10 years.
2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2018, 08:40:21 pm »
They probably quoted you a price off the cuff, too. But that's scary. I'm near the one in Buford. I bought my Goldwing there and they had a deal on tire mounting @ $26 each, so I got two tires. When the C-14 needs help, I'm going to have to think through my options.   :(
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2018, 10:23:52 pm »
Got a passive key from the local dealership today. I really don't like going to dealerships. I know the part's $27 on partzilla.com and I know the dealership is going to want more. They want $32. OK, whatever.

If you are in the Atlanta area, you usually have to go through Mountain Motorsports as they have a couple locations and they are the closest Kawi dealership to the city. I call their Marietta location. Ask how much it'd be to program the ECU to my bike they say $110, which I had read somewhere on the forum before. I figured I'd ask around and gave their Lithia Springs location a call. Programming an ECU, $38.  :-\ So instead of a total cost of $150, it was going to be half that. Awesome. I order the key through their parts department. It's very interesting how the same company charges two different price for the same service. But of course I didn't mention that to the person on the phone.

This morning, I head over to the dealership first thing. Get there, pick up my part from the parts department, go to the service department, ask them to program it, no problem. I sign the thing, give them both keys. The service guy takes the key to the mechanic. Comes back a minute later, tells me this isn't a fob that'll run the bike, it's what the spare key goes into. Just a key holder. I tell him he's wrong, it's an RFID thing and it starts the bike, it just needs to be programmed to the ECU. He goes back in, the mechanic comes out and tells me the same thing. I tell them it's an RFID key, like a barcode. it's a passive key. They look at me like I have 6 eyes. The service guy tells the mechanic that he's on his side in the matter. I have no idea what this means. They are trying to form an ally against the crazy guy who thinks a $30 piece of plastic is actually a key? The mechanic says he's never heard of something like that and that he'd have to do research on it. So I ask him to please do the "research" while I go to talk to the parts department. He's not happy with my request. I go back to the parts guy to ask him if the key came with a number or anything to put in the Kawasaki program. He goes and talks to the mechanics while I google how the programming works. 10 minutes later, parts guy comes back to tell me they figured it out. I pay the money and hop on my bike and leave.

The system's only been out for 10 years. I guess it's normal that they've no idea how to program it. I'll try again in 10 years.

well, after reading this exact posting on the other forum... I just went ahead and copy/pasted it here also, as it should be shared knowledge, and a lot of folks don't follow both forums...

here

sad the mentally lacking tech people expected to operate the machine to 'program' said installed, and other parts, simply can't or don't read the book... or the screen in this case, for the CD that came with the KDS software...

I found, and downloaded the KAWASAKI DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM KDS VER. 3 INSTRUCTION MANUAL Dated 12/2009, Version 3.0.9
(kawasaki p/n 57001-1650)

it comes on the actual software disc, that came with the KDS unit....duh.
 completely free online... can't remember where, nor would I send out copies, as it is marked as copywritten...
But... it completely, step by step, walks thru all the programming.
I've found it priceless in researching 'what is/is not' required for replacement of any part that ties into the "smart parts" of this bike...

might want to highlight, and print that 'bold letter stuff', and hand carry it to the OWNER of that dealership.. and he can hand it to the "tech".....

having noted this, they should also have the newer versions, that accomodate the linked brakes, and new passive 'card' fob...

I think it is now
Manufacturer # 57001-1802

Superseded part number(s)
57001-1650

google it up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:29:26 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Buzzard

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11145
« Reply #361 on: June 17, 2018, 11:12:24 pm »
Installed a radiator guard and gave the C-14  good wash down.

She's all pretty again
Buzzard
2016 C-14 Metallic Moondust Grey
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
1980 KZ550 LTD  a work in progress Café Racer
2006 Suzuki C50

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2018, 02:24:56 pm »
Complete brake caliper rebuild for all three calipers.
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2018, 02:54:06 pm »

well, after reading this exact posting on the other forum... I just went ahead and copy/pasted it here also, as it should be shared knowledge, and a lot of folks don't follow both forums...

here

sad the mentally lacking tech people expected to operate the machine to 'program' said installed, and other parts, simply can't or don't read the book... or the screen in this case, for the CD that came with the KDS software...

I found, and downloaded the KAWASAKI DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM KDS VER. 3 INSTRUCTION MANUAL Dated 12/2009, Version 3.0.9
(kawasaki p/n 57001-1650)

it comes on the actual software disc, that came with the KDS unit....duh.
 completely free online... can't remember where, nor would I send out copies, as it is marked as copywritten...
But... it completely, step by step, walks thru all the programming.
I've found it priceless in researching 'what is/is not' required for replacement of any part that ties into the "smart parts" of this bike...

might want to highlight, and print that 'bold letter stuff', and hand carry it to the OWNER of that dealership.. and he can hand it to the "tech".....

having noted this, they should also have the newer versions, that accomodate the linked brakes, and new passive 'card' fob...

I think it is now
Manufacturer # 57001-1802

Superseded part number(s)
57001-1650

google it up.

Thanks for the info MOB.

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #364 on: June 27, 2018, 03:23:37 am »
Installed foam grip covers and the Throttlemeister CC I had previously used on my old ZX-14.   :motonoises:

I also ordered the fender extender and Bearinged upshifter from Murph's kits. Picked up some Tech Spec tank protectors as well.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2018, 03:27:27 am »
Put its brain on a plane & and ordered Murphs shifter bearing!

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #366 on: June 28, 2018, 02:49:10 am »
Installed ram phone holder.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #367 on: June 28, 2018, 04:48:32 am »
Killed a buncha skeeters wit it tonight riding home from a late meeting in Collegeport.  Just got home.  Started at 4AM and finishing up about 1AM the next morning.  Connie got me home safe but bug splattered.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Buzzard

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11145
« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2018, 08:23:57 pm »
finally got the Mich PR4 GT's mounted :beerchug:
very nice ride and drive improvement. so much easier to get into/out of corners.
got 6500 mi from the OEM tires and they were about shot.
Buzzard
2016 C-14 Metallic Moondust Grey
2002 C-10 "SOLD*
1980 KZ550 LTD  a work in progress Café Racer
2006 Suzuki C50

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2018, 09:32:13 am »
Rode it with my daughter on her Ninja 250 to a fireworks display last night
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Eric

• Tricycle
« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2018, 05:28:24 pm »
I drained the break in oil from the engine and the final drive.  I finally have more than 600 miles on it going to work and back.  Holy cow was that factory oil filter tight!  2 different filter wrenches wouldn't budge it, finally bought a strap wrench that got the job done...  So far, I love this bike!
2012 Concours - My new baby!
2012 CBR1000 - mostly my son's bike, but a fun ride!
1985 V65 Sabre - died in collision with a trailer
1983 CB650 - died in a head on with a 77 thunderbird
1981 KL250 - ridden to death

Offline glenn 12

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11906
« Reply #371 on: July 07, 2018, 05:07:12 pm »
i just got back from North Dakota, the c-14 did great. round trip miles about 3800. i went to see my mom and do some work around her place for a couple of weeks. Now it's time for another oil change.
12 c-14, 91 vfr750

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #372 on: July 07, 2018, 09:13:00 pm »
Removed most of the fairings looking for the key from the fob I dropped in there last week.
I was pretty sure it was still there but never found it. I did however get more familiar with my bike LOL. While I was in there I pulled the air filter out, vacuumed it off and reinstalled it wow shocked at how dirty it got in just 7,000 miles.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2018, 03:02:00 am »
Washed it and took some Mothers clay bar to it then some rubbing compound and got rid of the scratches on the tank from the tank bag. I also polished the windscreen, oh and took all the warning stickers off. She is sure a good looking bike...

Offline Paulc_FL

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2018, 08:17:43 pm »
First oil change. Used Shell T6 5W-40. Seems to like it.
Rode it over 200 miles in two days. So far so good.