Author Topic: What have your done to your C14 today  (Read 95231 times)

Online Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What have your done to your C14 today
« Reply #825 on: November 25, 2019, 12:34:12 am »
Boy, this rascal puts a smile on yer face -- just got back from a 9-10 day, 4K+/- UHaul trip and it was supposed to rain, so crowded in a short ride... rain started right on time, but got about ten miles of therapeutic, dry road (40F, so felt pretty nippy) before the wet stuff turned me around -- grinning...
 :)

For sure re: putting a smile on yer face ... and it will keep it there. I find it still a blast after 66K miles and know others feel the same w/ more miles than me. Enjoy!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #826 on: November 25, 2019, 01:42:53 am »
Filled it with no ethonol gas, added stabilizer and put her to bed. :'(

Offline Rideezdale

• rideEZdale
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #827 on: November 26, 2019, 12:43:57 pm »
I actually did it yesterday,..  I rode one last time before changing oil, final drive oil, and topping it off with gas and adding fuel stabilizer in preparation for its long winter nap. :'(
Winter storm warning in effect for today.  >:(
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours,  2008 Kawasaki concours

Offline runnerb0y

• Street Cruiser
  • If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
  • COG#: 10517
« Reply #828 on: November 27, 2019, 07:00:24 pm »
many moons ago (like 30 years...) I epoxy painted my garage/shop floor, did it in a solid gray, (actually was gonna do flakes, but decided it would be tough to see dropped screws and such...) and kinda liked it... but any liquids made it really slippery... like anything that leaked, or dripped off the car or bike... that part I hated... but, it made for easier "hose down cleanups"..

Pick up some odd "open box"  floor tiles from Lowes, or even carpet squares glued to 1/2" thk plywood,  placing them fabric side down on the floor when you park the bike, with one under each tire, and stand, allows you to easily spin the bike around 360 for ease of storage.. especially as glossy as that looks...

nice job  :beerchug: :beerchug:
MOB,

Thanks for the kudos.  The grip on the floor seems to be a bit of a balancing act.  If you get it too rough, it will tend to hold the dirt; if you get it too slick, it becomes an ice-rink when wet.  I think I struck a good balance.  I've done some wet tests and they don't seem too scary.

Be well,
~Jeff
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
| COG#: 10517  |  2012 C14 - Candy Arabian Red  | 

Online Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #829 on: November 28, 2019, 12:23:10 am »
Filled it with no ethonol gas, added stabilizer and put her to bed. :'(

Sorry to hear. I'm blessed to lived in SE USA, at least for that reason. Best to you and Happy Thanksgiving all !
David L. Hamil

Offline Rob

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #830 on: November 28, 2019, 12:36:13 am »
Put a V47 Givi top case on it and went for a 30 mile ride on 42º weather!   :13:
2017 C14
2005 Z1000

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
« Reply #831 on: December 16, 2019, 10:55:44 pm »
Sent my ECU off to Steve for the Mtn. Runner Premium flash as a little Christmas present for that special someone - moi ;D
2012 C14

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #832 on: December 18, 2019, 01:26:29 am »
 Today I removed  the windshield assembly and cleaned/greased  the cables,pulleys and rails.   
 While I was that far in to it I removed the instrument cluster and took it apart.
  I did this so I could sharpie the blinding blue high beam indicator light. Say that three times fast lol.

Here is a helpful video to get you going if you ever need to remove yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0zK9axWuzc

2016 C-14

Online Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #833 on: December 19, 2019, 12:39:37 am »
Sent my ECU off to Steve for the Mtn. Runner Premium flash as a little Christmas present for that special someone - moi ;D

+1; smart move  :great:
David L. Hamil

Offline mirage

• Tricycle
  • Walking stick
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #834 on: December 23, 2019, 01:23:59 am »
Installed speed bleeders, purged the lines and was surprised that the dirtiest line was for the rear brake. Granted this was a 2014 that had sat on the dealership floor since new. Installed running lights and topped off coolant.  Next time I'm into that far it will most likely be for the valve check or o-ring replacement. Sitting at 6950 miles 1 year after rescuing her from the dealership.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 01:27:08 am by mirage »
Dan
2004 ZRX
2006 KLR
2014 Concours

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #835 on: December 23, 2019, 05:59:33 pm »
Installed all the new and salvaged parts needed from the accident in mid-November. http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/saddlebag-broke-all-to-hell/

Salvaged saddlebag is on the way. Should have it Thursday. It will need some cosmetic blemishes buffed out, the lock re-keyed and should be good to go.
2015 Black C14
So, after hearing the trash can getting the H beat out of it, we're looking at the dinner plate size bear tracks in the snow. My wife says, "Why don't you go down and see if it's still there?"!!!

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
« Reply #836 on: December 26, 2019, 11:14:41 pm »
Well, I should've washed my baby, but my Shoodaben Mt. Runner Premium-flashed ECU arrived this afternoon - just in time to let me get in a 70+ mile ride to try it out.  After trying it out, in a word I'm ANGRY . . . that Kawasaki didn't tune the C14 this way at the factory!  Wow - it's like a whole new bike!  I immediately noticed much smoother shifts, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.  Engine braking - silky smooth.  More power?  Absolutely, but the way it comes on is as cool as the new found power itself.  Very refined - no micro twist of the throttle and it suddenly lifts the front wheel and rips your arms from their sockets.  So no learning curve needed to adapt to the new power in order to avoid killing yourself.  And what's fun is you don't need to wind it up to take advantage of that extra power.  I always felt the engine had decent power at low rpm, but with the flash I'll get plenty of low rpm grins that weren't there before.  Heck, even twisting the throttle doing 50 in OD sees the speedo needle jump surprisingly fast.

The "Shoodaben" name is perfect, because you just know this is how the engine should perform.  It's not just funner to ride because of the added power, it's also more pleasant to ride because the power comes on smoothly, the bike shifts so much better, and has smoother engine braking as well.  So yeah, while I'm a little mad Kawasaki didn't deliver this performance from the get-go, I'm glad Steve offers such a good remedy for the problem.  Really looking forward to putting on more miles in a variety of riding situations so I can do an actual review on the reviews forum!

Almost forgot to mention I also replaced the stock tool kit with an Oxford Pro kit.  It fits perfectly where the old kit and its plastic box fit and has many more tools.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:33:43 am by Kreton'sLC »
2012 C14

Offline konehead

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9065
« Reply #837 on: December 26, 2019, 11:20:10 pm »
Well it must been a heck of a ride, to post ur review twice.... :)) :)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
« Reply #838 on: December 27, 2019, 01:36:16 am »
Well it must been a heck of a ride, to post ur review twice.... :)) :)

Ha!  Just noticed that and will take one down.  I guess the flash is like the old Doublemint gum commercials - "double your pleasure - double your fun".
2012 C14

Offline dcstrng

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #839 on: December 27, 2019, 01:18:03 pm »
After trying it out, in a word I'm ANGRY . . . that Kawasaki didn't tune the C14 this way at the factory... The "Shoodaben" name is perfect, because you just know...

Yep, that was my reaction as well (mine is Steve’s non-Premium version), on the other hand I doubt if any manufacturer who engineers one of these would intentionally cut off their own product at the knees if they weren’t strongarmed – from what I read, I’d have to hazard a guess they trying to error on the side of safety -- simply trying to satisfy/placate the EPA/EU petit-deities who can remove or hobble a product at the stroke of a pen, for the transgression of one or two wondering carbon molecules… or an errant decibel.
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Online Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #840 on: December 27, 2019, 05:33:01 pm »
Well, I should've washed my baby, but my Shoodaben Mt. Runner Premium-flashed ECU arrived this afternoon - just in time to let me get in a 70+ mile ride to try it out.  After trying it out, in a word I'm ANGRY . . . that Kawasaki didn't tune the C14 this way at the factory!  Wow - it's like a whole new bike!  I immediately noticed much smoother shifts, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.  Engine braking - silky smooth.  More power?  Absolutely, but the way it comes on is as cool as the new found power itself.  Very refined - no micro twist of the throttle and it suddenly lifts the front wheel and rips your arms from their sockets.  So no learning curve needed to adapt to the new power in order to avoid killing yourself.  And what's fun is you don't need to wind it up to take advantage of that extra power.  I always felt the engine had decent power at low rpm, but with the flash I'll get plenty of low rpm grins that weren't there before.  Heck, even twisting the throttle doing 50 in OD sees the speedo needle jump surprisingly fast.

The "Shoodaben" name is perfect, because you just know this is how the engine should perform.  It's not just funner to ride because of the added power, it's also more pleasant to ride because the power comes on smoothly, the bike shifts so much better, and has smoother engine braking as well.  So yeah, while I'm a little mad Kawasaki didn't deliver this performance from the get-go, I'm glad Steve offers such a good remedy for the problem.  Really looking forward to putting on more miles in a variety of riding situations so I can do an actual review on the reviews forum!

Almost forgot to mention I also replaced the stock tool kit with an Oxford Pro kit.  It fits perfectly where the old kit and its plastic box fit and has many more tools.

Well said; my sentiments as well re: Steve's MRP flash !   :great:
David L. Hamil

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Road Bike
« Reply #841 on: December 30, 2019, 03:11:43 pm »
Busy weekend working on the bike... the intent was to get a Rostra cruise control installed. That's only half done....
I have previously installed driving lights, PIAA horns and a fuse block in the tool storage box but some of this was done quickly due to time constraints at the time.
So, I pulled the gas tank for the first time. This gave me the chance to dress the wires properly for the above. I also added a 30 amp relay before the fuse block so it is now switched power rather than direct to the battery. While doing the wiring I added a dual USB plug to the left of the left headlight adjuster and ran 2 additional wires from the fuse block to the front of the bike for the Rostra and camera system. Also, took the opportunity to clean the ground wires and frame next to the battery and put some of the gooey protective conductive paste that MoB recommends on them.
I had originally put the PIAA horns behind the radiator on the left. This was where the Rostra unit was going to go. So I moved the horns to where the stock horn goes. Thanks to Ted (Connie_Rider) for pictures showing how he had mounted his there.
Rostra stuff: Fabricated the switch mount, RTV sealed the switch, put shrink wrap over the length of the switch wires for better protection, mounted the switch by the throttle, mounted the main unit, made and mounted an extension on the throttle arm and installed the Rostra throttle cable support.
Still to do: Get the Rostra wired up, install a 2 camera video recorder (enhancement in case of another accident) and install AST pull-back adapters (already have 2" risers).
Hopefully, the honey and daughter "do's" will hold off for another week and I can get it finished New Years day and next weekend.
2015 Black C14
So, after hearing the trash can getting the H beat out of it, we're looking at the dinner plate size bear tracks in the snow. My wife says, "Why don't you go down and see if it's still there?"!!!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #842 on: December 30, 2019, 03:39:50 pm »
Wow, you've been busy!!
  I are impressed!  :great:

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
« Reply #843 on: December 30, 2019, 05:26:17 pm »
Busy weekend working on the bike... the intent was to get a Rostra cruise control installed. That's only half done....
I have previously installed driving lights, PIAA horns and a fuse block in the tool storage box but some of this was done quickly due to time constraints at the time.
So, I pulled the gas tank for the first time. This gave me the chance to dress the wires properly for the above. I also added a 30 amp relay before the fuse block so it is now switched power rather than direct to the battery. While doing the wiring I added a dual USB plug to the left of the left headlight adjuster and ran 2 additional wires from the fuse block to the front of the bike for the Rostra and camera system. Also, took the opportunity to clean the ground wires and frame next to the battery and put some of the gooey protective conductive paste that MoB recommends on them.
I had originally put the PIAA horns behind the radiator on the left. This was where the Rostra unit was going to go. So I moved the horns to where the stock horn goes. Thanks to Ted (Connie_Rider) for pictures showing how he had mounted his there.
Rostra stuff: Fabricated the switch mount, RTV sealed the switch, put shrink wrap over the length of the switch wires for better protection, mounted the switch by the throttle, mounted the main unit, made and mounted an extension on the throttle arm and installed the Rostra throttle cable support.
Still to do: Get the Rostra wired up, install a 2 camera video recorder (enhancement in case of another accident) and install AST pull-back adapters (already have 2" risers).
Hopefully, the honey and daughter "do's" will hold off for another week and I can get it finished New Years day and next weekend.

So that's what you did Saturday before lunch, right?  What about the rest of the weekend?  ;) :PDT_Armataz_01_37:
2012 C14

Offline MtnRider

• Road Bike
« Reply #844 on: December 30, 2019, 08:03:57 pm »
So that's what you did Saturday before lunch, right?  What about the rest of the weekend?  ;) :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Sat around working on the 3 bottle set of specialty batches Makers Mark that my wife got me for Xmas.    :)
2015 Black C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #845 on: December 30, 2019, 11:01:22 pm »
 :great: :great: :great: :great: :motonoises: :great: :great: :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
« Reply #846 on: December 31, 2019, 12:22:18 pm »

Sat around working on the 3 bottle set of specialty batches Makers Mark that my wife got me for Xmas.    :)

Perfect!  If you don't treat yourself right, who will?
2012 C14

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #847 on: January 02, 2020, 11:22:24 am »
Sat around working on the 3 bottle set of specialty batches Makers Mark that my wife got me

Niiice! I'm a 4 Roses guy m'self.

Anyhooo, what with a freak warm front blowing in mid to upper 50's and recently rain washed roads I rode to the local Polar Plunge event as I have for three years now. (It was 24 degrees and snowing the first time I attended and the FD had to K-12 through 8 inches of ice.) Put in a couple of gallons of fresh non ethanol premium, even wiped a layer of dust and bugs off, tried to rouse a couple of riding buddies out of bed (BMW riders, no luck rousing them) and no, I don;t jump in the water.

Always a very large cruiser turnout, I roll with a group from the local VFW and an ex co-worker of my wife's as well as a bunch of guys I used to work with. Had 2 other "Sporty" bikes, my K-bike buddy dd show up about 3 minutes after it was over, and a few Can-Am's. Saw a sweet old Chevy with a fine patina, I grew up in our '49 Chevy "Ol Blue" so have a soft spot for them.

After the short event in 57 degree air, I am sure the water was colder), I took he long way home through a few corners minding the grit very cautiously but still liking the Dunlop RS3 feel and feedback. Got home and started a jig saw puzzle with the wife. It was a good day.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #848 on: January 02, 2020, 11:24:45 am »
The non-bike stuff related to the above...
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Online Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
« Reply #849 on: January 04, 2020, 09:16:28 pm »
Performed annual air filter change and semi-annual oil & oil filter change. Fortunately for winter here in N. AL right now it's not bad at all so will get the bike out for a while tomorrow. Lucky me. Hope all is having a Happy New Year!
David L. Hamil