Author Topic: UPDATE-Differential cap off but now metal pieces all in the rear end casing.  (Read 582 times)

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I think it's good.  Let it sit, filled up, overnight.  Drained it again this morning and spun the wheel as it did.  Didn't see even any tiny particles.  I reassembled the big chunks to just about fill all the busted out pieces of the plug, so I think I got just about all of it... definitely the big ones.  Gonna see if I can find the side cover oil cap to go onto the rear end.  That thing was on there way too tight.  I hand tightened it as it should have been... the slit in the cap was horizontal to the floor when tight.  This guy had it where the slit was 90 degrees from the floor.... a whole 1/4 turn too tight.  Human error... previous owner. 

Online strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Billy i think your good too. now that youve got past that then i would say run it a few days and go ahead and drain/refill again.
 as far as the coolant . are you saying the overflow tank is low?.. if so then thats no bigg deal either. the tupperware comes off and back together better that you may think .
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
Anti - Seize compound is your friend :beerchug:

So is Loctite just on different applications.

We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
William:

All is not lost - keep your cool.  Meds may help  ;)

I would drain and then remove the final drive, invert it and start flushing it with kerosene or diesel fuel. In other words, pour the kerosene or diesel into the drain and have it run out the fill hole.  Run about a gallon through it. 

Then blow compressed air into the drain hole.

Then flush the kerosene or diesel with gear oil.

Then turn the input of the final drive.   If it turns nice and smooth,  I'd bet all the chips have been removed.

Re-install the FD, and refill with gear oil.  You should be good to go, IMHO.

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
Billy i think your good too. now that youve got past that then i would say run it a few days and go ahead and drain/refill again.
 as far as the coolant . are you saying the overflow tank is low?.. if so then thats no bigg deal either. the tupperware comes off and back together better that you may think .

Yes, the overflow tank on the left is showing below the LOW level. From what I've read, you have to take both sides off and fill the radiator as well as the overflow tank to be safe.  Correct?

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
William:

All is not lost - keep your cool.  Meds may help  ;)

I would drain and then remove the final drive, invert it and start flushing it with kerosene or diesel fuel. In other words, pour the kerosene or diesel into the drain and have it run out the fill hole.  Run about a gallon through it. 

Then blow compressed air into the drain hole.

Then flush the kerosene or diesel with gear oil.

Then turn the input of the final drive.   If it turns nice and smooth,  I'd bet all the chips have been removed.

Re-install the FD, and refill with gear oil.  You should be good to go, IMHO.

Well, I flushed it about 4 times with gear oil and its running clean and the wheel is spinning fine.  It appears I got all the pieces out.. knock on wood.

Online strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307

Yes, the overflow tank on the left is showing below the LOW level. From what I've read, you have to take both sides off and fill the radiator as well as the overflow tank to be safe.  Correct?

If you need to use it now then fill the overflow tank to its proper line and ride. Im sure youll need to flush and replace the coolant since you said it was poorly taken care of but (just guessing here) he may have just never topped it off.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
It's really hard for me to say how it was mechanically cared for.  Cosmetically, it was WAYYYYYY below what I expect...If I have a 10 year old vehicle, it looks like it rolled off the assembly line.  I was raised if you pay good money for something you take pride in it's appearance and you keep it like new always. Im talking down to every screw head being painted and polished... I polish my bike daily when doing cross country solo rides.  The bike was cosmetically beat to hell.  One example:  The bike had a topcase... still has the mounting base.  It had a rubber trim ring on it.  Well, he apparently took Gorrilla Glue (I know that is what it was by appearance) and tried to glue it back.. however, he dripped and let glue run down the two risers to the rear rack, and then it ran down the tail piece and down the side behind one of the bags.  Took weeks of soaking in goobegone and scrubbing and compounding and repainting to get it right... that's just one thing.. beat the hell out of the handrails with bungees.. gouged to hell and back.. gouged and beat the hell out of the bags and mirrors.. had to repaint all that.. just garbage like that.  Apparently mounted the rear tire himself and literally put a 10 in long gouge around the inside of the rim.  Just a "don't give a sh%T attitude.  I was in a bind, so I kinda had to buy it.  I had located a pristine one in Charlotte... offered a deposit.. he said no need.. I get first refusal.  Got a bus ticket to Charlotte.  Spent a day in the ATL bus station where two women were raped that night... got up next morning to go get bike and he texted me "Sorry- I sold it... took a deposit this monring"  Then blocked my phone number so I couldnt ream him out.  Massive vagina.  Yup.. he really did that.  So, I was in the middle of nowhere.  Found one in Chicago that was mint but it was 3 day bus ride.. and more time in the ATL station... or this one in Chattanooga.  I bit the bullet and went to Chattanooga to just get a bike and get home.  Spent a month just painting and reconditioning parts as best as I could.  It had 35K and was set up for travel... lowered foot pegs, Corbin seat, bar risers, Cee Bailey shield, headlight protectors.  Problem is, guy traded it on a new BMW and they gave him a massive trade in on the bike.  Went in the hole bigtime and lowered the price down to take a loss.  They were not willing to even wash it for me, let alone do any oil or fluid changes and I have absolutely no idea when anything was done.  Brake pads seem fairly new so guessing that was done around 25K.  Bike shifted well, but the oil was black. Tank drain was blocked.  Coolant reserve is visibly low.  Brake and clutch fluids appear good with an eyeball look.  My hope is he took care of it mechanically but was a ride it and put it away dirty guy.. definitely not me and still ticks me off.. You don't beat anything to hell that you pay thousands of dollars for if you have any self respect.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:54:52 pm by William »

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
I have no qualms about parking my C14 in my garage with the bug splatter still on the windshield.

So according to you, that makes me a bad owner?

No, but if you are constantly hooking bungees and literally gouging out the plastic, dripping glue on the bike, scratching 6-7 big scratches on your bags and NOT repairing these sort of things asap, then yeah.. I say you are kind of a slob. Or you think money grows on trees.  I was raised poor and you kept your clothes, belongings, everything you had immaculate cause God knows when you got another.  Chipping the paint, gouging the plastic, etc aren't bad.. leaving it that way is.

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
No, but if you are constantly hooking bungees and literally gouging out the plastic, dripping glue on the bike, scratching 6-7 big scratches on your bags and NOT repairing these sort of things asap, then yeah.. I say you are kind of a slob. Or you think money grows on trees.  I was raised poor and you kept your clothes, belongings, everything you had immaculate cause God knows when you got another.  Chipping the paint, gouging the plastic, etc aren't bad.. leaving it that way is.
I've caught my boot on the side bags while swinging my leg over.  There are some marks.

Today I learned that makes me a slob and poor with money.

This forum used to be about camaraderie.  Now...  Well, it's gone downhill.

Please... marks? Im talking about guoges into the plastic.. deep grooves and many.  That's too much for you? You should hear some of the crap said to me in some forums.  This guy beat the hell out of this bike, needlessly and never repaired a single thing.. glue running all over the rear of the bike, rims beat to hell.  That shows apathy. In my book, that makes him a jerk. Sorry, if you are too sensative to disassociate yourself from my bikes previous owner. 

So, his spilling brake fluid or some other solvent onto the Corbin seat and it eating the finish away in large spilled spots all over the place and leaving it like that, splilling Gorilla Glue, white and raised up, running down half the back end of the bike and not cleaning up any of that.. my being pissed at him for doing that and not correcting it... saying he's irresponsible for doing that, is bothering your personal sensitivity and making you feel threatened by my comments? Well sorry. I don't like my bikes previous owner.. I think he was a bum and a slob and didnt take care of things properly.  Maybe he was rich and viewed it as a disposble item.. I've never had that luxury.  Sorry my criticism of him hurt your feelings.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:46:17 pm by William »

Offline William

• Bicycle
    • Billy Green
Sorry if you lack the integrity to be accountable for your decision to purchase the bike.  Caveat emptor.
WHat
What? Explain.  Where is MY lack of integrity? Careful... seriously... The bike I was purchasing was sold while traveling to pick it up.. another buyer offered him more than asking and he didn't honor his deal with me... so I bought the best bike I could find within a days drive as I had to get home... Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have bought this bike due to the poor cosmetic condition... but I did cause I was in a jam, but it still pisses me off that anyone would let a bike they own get in this kind of condition.  It's not a good thing.  That shows my lack of integrity.  You're on thin ice buddy.. razor thin... choose your words carefully from here out with me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:13:13 pm by William »

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
This started out as a final drive fill cap problem and has degraded from that. I think this thread has run it's course.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki