Author Topic: Brake Fluid interval Question  (Read 889 times)

Offline Shredran

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Brake Fluid interval Question
« on: May 19, 2020, 01:42:16 am »
Hi all, how many of you change the brake and clutch fluid based on RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVAL, even if the coloring is fine? There are some of us who I imagine change no matter what, religiously, based on the manual's guidance. And still others who go by coloring. Curious what most of you do here.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Brake Fluid interval Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 03:18:57 am »
I change the brake fluid every spring on my 09. These have had problems with the ABS motor sticking and locking the rear brake.  In an attempt to negate the problem I change the fluid and exercise the ABS several times a year in a dirt parking lot or road. And when I do change the fluid it is  never as clear as that right out of a new bottle.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 11:58:50 am »
I think two years is the INDUSTRY standard, due to the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid.

I don't recall what the FSM recommends for our bikes.

You can also buy litmus strips to test your brake fluid for water content, indicating dilution, and more accurately decide if your fluid needs flushing.

Most will just change it often, as it isn't THAT hard and it's definitely not expensive.  Call it good cheap insurance.  :great:

gr

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-3003-B-Package-Condition/dp/B00E6TXWA6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=brake+fluid+test+strips&qid=1589893089&sr=8-6
My Horns have Horns.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 09:44:36 pm »
Not sure, but I changed my brake fluid about 3 years into ownership. I had read about the ABS pump failure and when I bled the calipers, especially the rear the fluid was dark brown and gummy looking. No issues on the front calipers, clean fluid came out. I have since then bled the brakes twice a year. It takes 30 minutes or so. I have a one way Motion Pro bleeder valve and hose thats makes it super easy. Rear caliper has 2 bleeder ports BTW.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143

I bought mine thru Amazon, it was 9 bucks at the time.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 10:25:26 pm »
Hi all, how many of you change the brake and clutch fluid based on RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVAL, even if the coloring is fine? There are some of us who I imagine change no matter what, religiously, based on the manual's guidance. And still others who go by coloring. Curious what most of you do here.
In my experience if you wait for the color to change in the reservoir it will be in bad condition at the caliper. The fluid doesn't really circulate since it just pressures from the lever. I have seen the reservoir look a little yellow but when you pump it out the caliper it is black as mud. I just did mine last week and it was actually very clean after 2 years and I could hardly tell the difference in color after flushing it out. For $5 worth of fluid and thirty minutes time its worth it for me to be sure it stays clean and avoids problems.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Wingedspirit

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12707
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 12:04:23 am »
I just watched this Dave Moss video where he covers a lot about maintenance.
I'd rather spend a few more bucks to be over maintained than have sticking caliper pistons or worse yet a failure. 
I also remember a brake fluid test by Circle Track magazine where they opened a bottle of fluid then capped it. Left it capped overnight and  the boiling point dropped about 10 deg F.  I realize most of us don't get out brakes really hot so may not matter until you really need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n74M2IKGgxo

Some may disagree. That's OK.  ;)

Offline Christopher

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:33 pm »
I flushed mine last season and installed speed bleeders at the same time. This year I noticed I overfilled the clutch a bit. I sucked some out with a small siphon. A buddy will suck out his reservoirs every year so I decided to do that this year. It was still clean but it couldn't hurt.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 08:47:23 pm »
Hate to  point out that just changing the reservoir's fluid only freshens the reservoir.  The lines and pistons are where the junk and dark fluid accumulate.  The Clutch slave cylinder is another place that accumulates junk in nasty old brake fluid. The absolute time I will go between brake fluid changes is two seasons. What comes out isn't as clear as what goes in. 

We or at least me doesn't even think about brake fluid in my car or truck. One day my brake light came n in my truck meaning the fluid was low in the reservoir. I had my favorite shop do a complete system bleed. It was like getting new brakes.     
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Christopher

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:05:48 pm »
I know Tim. I figured since I had to remove a bit anyways and I had a new bottle of fluid it wouldn't hurt. Only thing it cost me was a 1/2 pint of fluid and 10 mins of time.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 03:56:03 pm »
I(t's much easier to change than rebuild, in this case.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 06:33:54 pm »
Brake/clutch bleeding and fluid replacement is cheap and easy. I do it every year as part of the spring maintenance routine.

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 10:26:44 pm »
Changing mine (clutch and brakes) Memorial Day. First time in 5 years of ownership.

Yeah, I know, shame on me for not doing it sooner.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Bicycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 12:10:13 am »
I also bought the Motion Pro one way Bleeder tool and change the fluid every year now.  Makes it so simple.  I use to use a Mighty-Vac tool to bleed but like the Motion Pro bleeder better
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 09:48:11 pm »
I also bought the Motion Pro one way Bleeder tool and change the fluid every year now.  Makes it so simple.  I use to use a Mighty-Vac tool to bleed but like the Motion Pro bleeder better

Cool. Someone here recommended the Harbor Freight kit and that what I bought and used today. Nice to finally have it done, as I had put it off wayyy too long.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Shredran

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 09:41:10 pm »
I bought the Mity Vac so we'll see how it goes!

Offline garage monster

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 13091
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 04:10:32 am »
I too use a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight. Hook to the air compressor and turn it on and it sucks continuously. I threw away my mighty vac.

My Mid 90 Yamaha GTS 1000 has a way to exercise the ABS without riding the bike and slamming on the brakes. is there a way to do that on the C14?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 06:59:12 pm »
My Mid 90 Yamaha GTS 1000 has a way to exercise the ABS without riding the bike and slamming on the brakes. is there a way to do that on the C14?

Find a dirt road or parking lot. No need to come to a complete stop and a good way to learn the system. School district paved my favorite dirt parking lot. Darn it. Since I am more worried about the rear brake ABS motor on the 09, I exercise the rear brake ABS more than the front after each fluid change.