Author Topic: Honestly, how 'sporty' is the C14?  (Read 156 times)

Offline Charliedog

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Honestly, how 'sporty' is the C14?
« on: Yesterday at 06:27:49 pm »
I'm serious here.  I've never ridden a C14, but I have put over 100k on my C10.  The C10 will handle the mountain roads around here, but it is work.  The road tests and comparisons say the C14 is the 'sportiest' of the sport-tourers, and while it is no GSX-R, how would it compare to a naked sport bike such as Bandit 1200 or an FZ1-I've owned a big Bandit and both generations of FZ1.

I know the C14 is heavier than a C10, but is the add'l weight noticeable-or does a lower center of mass hide the pounds? 

I'll always be a sport biker rider at heart, but my 70 year old knees won't allow it.

TIA     

Offline Paul B

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
Re: Honestly, how 'sporty' is the C14?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:41:49 pm »
My 69 year body just got back on a 2018 Connie with no regrets.  You asked about comparing naked bikes to her and well there just is not a fair comparison here as it is apples and oranges.  For shear fun in the twisties, the Connie can't compare to the likes of the 1290 Super Duke R because of the lack of weight and all the nanny assistance allowing you to rip around corners like a youngster again.  She might be heavier but that is one of the attributes that contributes to such a smooth ride on those long trips and not a bad girl for playing when you get to the mountains, but she will be work.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:30:27 pm »
I can flick the C14 into corners with ease. My friends cannot believe how far over I plant it. Its not a ZX10R or a Z900RS in handling. I have never ridden a C10, last guy I met with a C10 all he wanted to see is the windscreen go up and down!  :beerchug:

Go to about 2 minutes in as I enter the Hoppa curves in CA on hwy 96.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDYZHC3IoI

PS: I am this close to 62 years of age.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:41:59 pm »
Its a top heavy bike, get it off center and you can really feel the weight, especially with a full tank of fuel and loaded for trips. keep it upright and no issues. Getting it up on the center stand is easy!

Fully loaded getting it off the kick stand can be a chore if on a slight incline where its tipped towards the left.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:08:55 am »
Just today we were ripping through canyons at 65-85 no problem. Posted limit was 30. They are much sportier than many expect. With a good rider, they can keep up with most sportbikes.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:31:29 am »
If you trust it it will exceed any expectation. But don't blink.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:52:13 am »
Just today we were ripping through canyons at 65-85 no problem. Posted limit was 30. They are much sportier than many expect. With a good rider, they can keep up with most sportbikes.
https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/trending-now/police-arrest-hellcat-driver-caught-on-facebook-driving-nearly-200-mph/815239029
Be careful whatcha post!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:02:58 am »
You've seen sport bike yobos dragging the knee going around roundabout at or above warning speeds, haven't ya?
Well, riding C14 you can do it twice as fast without showboating.
C14 ain't  Zx10 it won't do tricks you teach sport bikes to do. I compare c14 to a Golden Retriever (softmouth) which will bring your bird to you in one pieces, unlike yobish brethren of sport bikes that will shred it to bits.
If I ever consider sport(ish) bike, it would be H2 SX.

Cheers...

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:45:21 am »
If you want to see how it can handle, have a look at the latest Concourier cover. I can't find the picture to post it. Maybe somebody?