Author Topic: 2009 Fuel pump, filter info  (Read 245 times)

Offline Steve

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2009 Fuel pump, filter info
« on: September 18, 2018, 02:34:35 pm »
 New guy here. This topic may be beat to death . Tried to do search to make sure but still thought I would post this. Just traded an 08 Roadstar for 09 Concours.
After about the second tank of gas it started to bog really bad. Added Seafoam, Heat water remover. Got a little better but still bogged down with throttle.
I decided to pull the tank and remove fuel pump which is the very bottom. You will have to unplug 2 electrical plugs, to vent hoses and pop clip up from gas line. Four bolts hold tank down. Two in front and two in back. Raise tank up in back with block of wood to undo all this stuff. Unbolt fuel pump from bottom of tank and remove.
I took pictures of the pump. It has two Phillip head screws in the steel bracket. Unplug the wires. Draw a diagram if not sure or take a picture. The pump will come apart. I oiled the metal rail to help it slide apart.  Once apart there will be two O rings. Watch where they go. The filter (strainer) is in the bottom. Mine was really bad.
The Kawasaki shop here had one for 20 bucks. I have a picture of it and part number. Don't waste time trying to clean old one. Mine fell apart. Just replace it.
Got it back together with new air filter. I cannot believe how much better it runs. This bike had 24000 miles. I would guess it set up a lot.  If water or bad gas is not the problem like I thought mine was. This may be your problem. :beerchug:
Fuel pump filter # 49019-0013

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2009 Fuel pump, filter info
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:30:45 pm »
The dealer robbed you on the fuel filter... :-X :-X
but sometimes being able to walk in, buy, and walk out is worth it...
it's like $10, even from outside sources, Kaw should only charge $8, as it's common to every 4x4 and atv they made since '09.

but you did well, and thanks for the photo input also.

should have asked here after searching, when you couldn't find the info, we would have hooked you up...

anyways, some is here;

http://forum.cog-online.org/fuel-cooling-and-oil-systems-59/

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/clogged-up-fuel-filter/

might have saved a couple hours.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:03:36 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:13:42 pm »
Hi Steve, welcome.

MOB is very helpful.  Some folks even get accustomed to his type of help.    :nananana:   :beerchug:
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Steve

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 03:27:59 am »
Yea, sometimes you just do what you have to. Didn't have time or want to wait for shipping one. I was just glad they had a filter. Price I pay for all the questions I ask the dealer.
O'Reillys has the spark  plugs for 10 bucks each. That's better than a hundred the dealer gets. That's one job I dread when the day comes.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 03:15:23 pm »
If your bike has only 24000 miles, the plugs are good. What you should research is if the valves have been done. If not, get at er! And you can look at the plugs then but they will be fine.

Offline P07r0457

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 03:36:44 pm »
If your bike has only 24000 miles, the plugs are good. What you should research is if the valves have been done. If not, get at er! And you can look at the plugs then but they will be fine.
I could never get onboard with that thought.  The manufacturer had a reason for the interval they specified...  And the labor for spark plugs is entirely covered by the (more intrusive) valve adjustment.

I couldn't imagine not spending the $40 to replace the plugs.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:39:09 pm »

I could never get onboard with that thought.  The manufacturer had a reason for the interval they specified...  And the labor for spark plugs is entirely covered by the (more intrusive) valve adjustment.

I couldn't imagine not spending the $40 to replace the plugs.

pretty much everyone that does a valve inspect/adjust kinda figures the same, until they spend the money and have them onhand, and when they pull the "old" ones out, and inspect them, they  look as good as the "new" ones... but we are caught up in the passion of the moment, and go ahead and replace them.... simply because we bought them...
meh... then we stick the old ones back in a box, and save them for 'future' use...
which may be never....

As for the "factory recommendation" to replace them, well, that's simple... as they do recommend inspecting them, so while they are doing that, the simply generate more $$ during the process, by replacing them.. after all, they assume everyone has the bike "serviced at a dealership"; because they have made it so labor intensive to get to them in the first place..

I always prefer to inspect them before replacement... as the one you stick in there, even tho new, may be a bad plug... had it happen many times. You really have no idea when you buy a plug, or a box of them, just how many times the box has hit the floor by the people handling it.. seen it last time I bought plugs for my truck in fact... fumble fingered kid at the parts store dropped the box on the floor right in front of me...blam... I told him to set the box on the counter, and get me another box also... then I bought the 'undropped box', and told him I didn't want the ones he dropped... when he got a bit 'snippy' about it, I pulled an old plug I brought (as a reminder of what I needed) out of my pocket, opened the good box, and one of the new plug's box, and stuck the old plug with the protective 'collar' in the new box, and slid it off the counter, and picked it up... when I pulled it out and showed him a cracked porcelain on it, he apologized.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:59:06 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 11:09:58 pm »
Exactly why I said that. When I did my first valve adjustment, I bought new plugs. Pulled out the old ones and they were all perfect. Put the new ones in anyway and when I did the second adjustment I did not replace the plugs. Didn't even pull them (which I probably should have done.)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:14:58 am »
WELL
 all I can say is that was weird.. what transpired on my attempt to post...

:-\