Author Topic: New C14 clicks or pops at full stop  (Read 817 times)

Offline Flying Pieman

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New C14 clicks or pops at full stop
« on: February 06, 2019, 06:06:46 pm »
Hi Guys!
I'm loving my new Connie but am only 500 miles in and have noticed that when i come to a full stop, It either makes a click or a pop sound. It's different every time. These sounds are not loud but noticeable. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike. Is this normal or an issue?

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
Re: New C14 clicks or pops at full stop
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:35:54 pm »
Mine does this only when going backwards. I haven't worried about it, bike hasn't fallen apart yet. We'll see
2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:49:43 pm »
I would suspect steering head bearings needing checking/adjustment. If it's brand new, and ifffffff you are going to have the dealer perform the first maintenance check, let them know about the noise. Other wise, can be handled if you do your own maintenance.

Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 07:38:11 pm »
You may be hearing the ABS ring activating. Very subtle compared to older BMW Oil heads where the sound was like running over a metal garbage can lid. Also flexing brake lines in their holders can do that.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »
Make sure the steering head bearings and brake calipers are tight.  Sit on the bike and grab the front brake.  Try to move the bike fore and aft and see if you feel any play in the steering head or the calipers.  If either is loose, you should be able to feel it or at least hear it.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:54:40 pm »
Take it back to the dealer now and get em to fix it.  If you leave it to first service they will charge you for it.  It obviously wasn't detected during the pre-delivery service/ride it probably didn't get.
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:42:22 pm »
The header bolts might be loose. After logging miles, most notice that they need to be tightened. If one or more of the headers is loose enough, it could be the pop sound you are hearing?
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Flying Pieman

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:46:09 pm »
Thanks guys for the input.
As its a brand new bike, when I take it in for its first service I will let the dealership know and check it out. If there's a problem, it's under warranty so it should be fine either way.

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »
I would definitely check all the fasteners on the front end. At least one guy on the FJR forums found his front axle nut finger tight on his new bike. I think most bikes ship with the front wheel off and the dealer mounts it. Sometimes they don't do a good job.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 02:35:47 pm »
Thanks guys for the input.
As its a brand new bike, when I take it in for its first service I will let the dealership know and check it out. If there's a problem, it's under warranty so it should be fine either way.
Might be a good idea to do some looking before you take it in.  If you have no idea what the problem is before taking it in, they could tell you about anything and you wouldn't know the difference.  Not saying you have to start wrenching, but I hate being totally ignorant when dealing with someone else fixing something.  Next thing you know they'll want you to change your headlight fluid! ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Christopher

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 03:30:50 pm »
My 16 has been doing this since i bought it.When i stop aggressively and the front compresses fast i get i snap in the front. Head bearings seem tight, not binding.  I've had the front wheels off twice so it's not in the wheels/brakes. I wonder if it's internal in the forks or the lower clamp... i have all of the plastic off now for winter maintenance, i guess it'll be a good time to check accessible fasteners. Is it spring yet?!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:43:38 pm »
I'm old school, and being OLD, and owning the first production vintage bike, I'll comment...
what you are hearing/feeling is very likely the front brake pads, seating in, and normal... during the first 2k miles, it will "click" when coming to a full stop, and the brakes are released, and also when you roll backwards.. very common... do some "hard braking/exercising the brakes" and you may find this a what I think i going on.

when you do return for the first "interval" inspection, they will never "see" this, so make it clear to them to inspect/clean the rotors, and make sure all is tight.

bearings on steering head, forks, and other things, are not commonly found to be issues, on a 500 mile new bike.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline mgoodrich

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 4466
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:54 pm »
On mine I was hearing a pop/click sound every time I stopped as well.

Turned out it was the solenoid that unlocks the latch on the storage compartment.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:37 am »
I'll go on record, noting that about half the responses given, are from people that do not own, or mechanically work on C14's specifically... that do differ as the 2 bikes differ.
they are not equal, nor do they hare the same exact traits...

Owner experience, shared, is still crucial.  thus, many of the responses do not critically apply.. directly... ymmv

ride safe, hope it gets fixed, ride safe... :motonoises: :great:

Offline sailrider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12514
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 05:14:12 pm »
I'll throw in what I think the OP is experiencing.  I've got a 2014 C14.  Mine makes the same noise when coming to a stop and has since new.  It's the linked brake system; perfectly normal.  Just one of the idiosyncrasies of the bike.  No worries, mate. 

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 07:27:55 pm »
I'll throw in what I think the OP is experiencing.  I've got a 2014 C14.  Mine makes the same noise when coming to a stop and has since new.  It's the linked brake system; perfectly normal.  Just one of the idiosyncrasies of the bike.  No worries, mate.
If you're talking about the thunk when the linked brakes kick in, I can't hear it so much as feel it.  I quit using the rear brake because of that thunk.  If you apply the front brakes, it applies the rear brake for you without the thunk.  The only time I use the rear is in low speed tight turns.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 09:14:58 pm »
I have a 2016 C14 haven't experienced any popping/clicking noises since new, 20k miles ago
I do tend to agree with the "linked brakes" theory
This 2016 is my first shot at linked brakes and I was surprised (not elated) with what I felt and heard
I have had the front wheel and forks off a few times for tires/upgrades, no anomalies, and the bike is solid
I use the rear brake frequently, as it was intended, when applicable
Saves on those +$100 front pads
Break-in definitely occurs with the entire bike, not just the engine
I don't even notice the "linked brakes" now
"Always carry a knife with you, just in case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
Gen James Mattis

Offline BigK

• Scooter
  • COG#: 3642
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 04:22:06 pm »
Just on other possibility. Engine mount bolts loose. My 08 made a popping noise when I would dismount. Found the top front engine mount loose. On the C-14 the engine is also frame support. Just my one cent.
Kevin
Indy AAD

Offline Flying Pieman

• Big Wheels
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 09:50:58 pm »
The conclusion: I took it to the dealership for its first service. I explained the issue. When I picked the bike after the service was done, the response was that its all good and quite normal and to just ignore it as usually all new bikes have little 'teething' problems. Well, I hope so! lol

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 08:52:13 pm »
Well poo. My 09 would make a thump just when the bike came to a stop or going over a speed bump. The thump could be felt in the handle bars with an audible sound. I lived with it until I had the fork oil changed when getting ready for the Cortez Rally. I requested they grease the steering head bearings while they were in there. I got a phone call from them saying the stem bearing were loose and might be covered by warranty. Turned out to be wishful thinking. However the thump was gone when I got the bike back.

When backing the bike out of the garage and lightly apply the front brake to stop the roll, I get clicking from the brakes. I've always thought it was the calipers and the rotors making the noise.  I do not get the noise when under power and stopping. 

Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 09:20:26 pm »
 :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

"just ignore it as usually all new bikes have little 'teething' problems. Well, I hope so! lol"

I do like that quote, and it's very true...
enjoy your new toy, and get some miles on it... it gets better...
 ;) :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: ;)