Author Topic: Need suggestions for removing a seized windshield screw  (Read 431 times)

Offline Charliedog

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Need suggestions for removing a seized windshield screw
« on: November 23, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
No problems removing the four hex head screws holding the two black plastic trim pieces, but one of the two screws holding the windshield to one of the brackets is seized-my bad, just careless the last time I removed the windshield for cleaning I guess.  I've forgotten what the name of the tool is, but I tried the one that you tap on the end of, and the internal spring transfers the force to the screw.  No luck.

If all else fails, I'll try drilling it and installing an ez-out.  Any other suggestions?

TIA.

Offline JerBear

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12777
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Need suggestions for removing a seized windshield screw
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 11:24:10 pm »
The tool you are referring to is called an impact driver.  I don't think i'd try that with that spindly arm for the windshield, too thin too bouncy but if you try be sure to back up the back side firmly.  Depending on how badly the socket is boogered up try tapping a Torxs type wrench squarely (looks like a star) into the bad hole.  Try to wedge it in tight and the squareness is the most import part if it still slips out, cut a groove in it with a dremel tool and take it out with a standard screwdriver. Lastly if you have to drill it out go with a small left hand twist drill.  Run the drill in reverse, it will heat it up and when the drill bites in it will be turning in the correct direction to remove the bolt be sure your drill is smaller than the bolt thread's minor pitch.

If you have access to a mig welder hold a scrap nut with a needle nose pliers on the top of the locked screw plug weld the center hole to the screw let it cool, and try to turn it off with a the appropriate wrench.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:31:41 pm by JerBear »
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 11:50:27 pm »
Charley
that impact driver has to be used "correctly".... you have to actually put extreme ccw rotational force on it "before" striking it with a hammer...
just making sure you "know" how that tool actually works... (been trying to instruct people on its "use" for over 40 years... applying it and hammering, is only part of the equation, you really got to crank on the tool, even hold it in vise grips, and twist, while striking it..)sticking the tip in, and hitting it, will not do a thing..(it just twists the opposite way, it needs to be twisted while striking) Now, saying that, and if you had an assistant to back up "the backside" of the bracket, with a heavy mini sledge, or other bracing, you may find it will wrk.. also, make sure the "bit" you use, really fits the fastener.. 

Just recapping my instructions for my impact remover, circa 1973.... "insert tool bit, insert bit to fastener, with a firm grip turn Counter clock wise, and while twisting / holding tension, strike the end of the tool..."

still got that tool, in it's little blue box.. which I had to steal back from poppa when he rooted thru my tools.
Had to, I know I removed 1000+ Phillips side case screws, from bikes with it, over the first 20 years of it..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:10:48 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9065
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 01:41:50 am »
I had to use vise grips on one of mine. There was just enough edging on the bolt to grip, and it rotated out with no difficulty....

Offline Charliedog

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 04:16:06 pm »
Thanks, Konehead.  That will be worth a try as soon as I get a replacement screw, hopefully tomorrow.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 05:50:33 pm »
Just to point out, you can get vice grips with smooth surface on the very tip or
you can get vice grips with a tread pattern. you know like the soul's of your new boots.
Witch one would grip that little sucker better?

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 01:42:38 am »
Used the aggressive teeth, so it would grab the head. 

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 10:35:03 am »
If it's the middle bolt that ya can't get out, I had success using a Dremel to cut a slot in it, and then used a flat blade screwdriver with hex bolster and a wrench on it to crack it loose. Do not use an Impact driver as that may break the screen bracket.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 06:06:48 pm »
I've had pretty good luck with an easy out on 44 year screws stuck in the dyno cover of the old bike. The secret is getting the right sized drill bit and having something solid behind the screw when using the easy out.  Sometimes I have tapped with a hammer while turning the easy out.  A good rap seemed to seat the easy out quite well on the Kawasaki screws. I think in this case I might use a #1 easy out but a #2 could do the job if you can drill straight enough. Of course the #1 would use a small drill bit. I think the #2 is a size 30. The package will say for sure. If you haven't got it out yet good luck. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 01:12:25 am »
The dremel cutting a slot into the bolts a great idea....just protect that screen... 

Fyi...  competition accessories has them in stock.  Free shipping for orders over $29.  Promo code free29...