Author Topic: 2009 C14 Front Caliper mounting bolts  (Read 1915 times)

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2009 C14 Front Caliper mounting bolts
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »
You really can't have too many socket adapters.  You always need the one you don't have:

2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »
Hi,
         Don't feel pregnant! :o

Been there, and done that!!! :-[

Sometimes the hardest thing to find in the toolbox.... :-X

With something, like this...... is patience!!! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:37 pm »
Yeah patience is something I do need, if can get this out without costing me a fork tube or a caliper,I'll be happy. 

I can either struggle and ultimately beat a $7 bolt, or start shelling out hundreds on other parts for loosing my cool.   Cause if I lose my cool, it's going to end in the use of a sawzall.  Like many things I may or may not have done in the military while partying in foreign countries, no matter how fun it would be at the time, I feel like I may end up regretting that after the fact. 

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »
Don't start shopping for a new fork tube just yet.  There is another option if the TORX + impact fails and if drilling the head off also fails.  Of course drilling the head won't fail but after doing that you still may be unable to break the remains of the bolt loose even with Vice-Grips. 

Pull the fork tube from the bike and take it to a machine shop.  In difficult situations a machinist can almost always work a "miracle" that escapes we mortals.  Will probably cost you $50-$75 or so but that's a lot cheaper than a new fork.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »
If or when the next round of impact wrench and tool continues to provide frustrating failure, I highly suggest stopping... clean that whole area well to de grease it, find so one with a tabletop TIG welder, and an appropriate sized hex nut, and have that nut welded to whatever still exists of the head of the bolt...
Before attempting to drill it out.....
The combo of the heat, and the hex nut, should provide an adequate solution to the damages, and allow removal... ;)

Or, the moment of rage and a sawzalll, and a new caliper.... >:(

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 11:49:58 am »
 :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

It's free.  I started by hammering a T40 on, heated the fork tube part with a small handheld propane torch and hit it with the impact gun.  It just spun the torx and hollowed it out farther.  So I grabbed the T45, and wen to town on that thing.  May have chewed up the back of it pretty good hammering on it with a framing hammer  :)

Finally gave it more heat, and more heat, and more heat.... slow heat delivered by a torch turned pretty far down, didn't want to risk melting it.  Then blasted it with the impact gun... SUCCESS!!!!  :1rij:

Proceeded to remove calipers, fairing, and then start on the axle pinch bolts.... I tossed the hex key on the impact gun, hoping that starting with impact would minimize the chances of a stripped out head again.  Started on the right side (like in the videos) found one easily worked out, the other was stuck tight.   :41:

Ok no biggy, I remember reading I can remove either side so I used a socket and a torque wrench, snugged down the one I'd loosened, and went to the other side.  tossed the impact back on, and both of them backed out without even activating the impact part of the drill.   :o :o

That's a little worrisome. 

Alright, up to removing the axle, banging out this tire, and put it back together so I can ride.

grab my 13/16th plug socket I've had for eons, finally have a use for it, grab the extension, dig out the rubber boot..... square hole for the socket doesn't go all the way through  :73:  :rotflmao:  figures.

So off to sears/Harbor Freight / Northern tool to find something that will work.  But that's for another thread.  I have new bolts coming in, once they get here, any recommendations on anti-seize compounds I can use, their applications, and recommended torque setting adjustments? 

And a huge Thank You!! to all that have offered advice. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:30:11 pm by GIant81, Reason: mongo no spel gud »

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 12:15:04 pm »
obligatory picture, cause everyone likes shiny objects   :) :)

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 12:36:44 pm »
Nice!!  Ok, on the axle bolt, get the correct HEX driver.  They do have them at HF. It's a 22 mm driver:

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 10:54:14 pm »
Hi,
       Good deal! :great:

I knew you would get it! :beerchug:

I pulled my calipers to change tires on my 2012 and they came right off??? ::)

I deal with things like this on these old ships I work on, and sometimes have to talk to myself, "stop,stop, cool off, take it easy"!!! Ha! ;D ;D ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 05:04:15 pm »
Well I got to thinking about it, "Who as the meat fisted knuckle drager that put these on?" especially after finding they over torqued an Axle pinch bolt, and completely failed to tighten two other axle pinch bolts.

Then I realized that it was the dealer.  I bought the bike, and within the month after I got it, I had it in to warranty replace the front TPMS.  They were the last ones to mess with the front.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 05:57:06 pm »
Well I got to thinking about it, "Who as the meat fisted knuckle drager that put these on?" especially after finding they over torqued an Axle pinch bolt, and completely failed to tighten two other axle pinch bolts.

Then I realized that it was the dealer.  I bought the bike, and within the month after I got it, I had it in to warranty replace the front TPMS.  They were the last ones to mess with the front.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.  Probably used an impact wrench putting it back together.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 06:23:23 pm »
Hi,
         Finding a good CAR Mechanic is hard today!

For a Motorcycle even worse I think.

I've actually known a few Motorcycle Service Managers and I think one of their biggest hurdles....

Is finding good Mechanics today, themselves!

I decided to flush my brakes and clutch on my C14 and...

Had no problem using a Mity-Vac...

I did notice though right off, the brakes were better, than how I got them from the Dealer!!!

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 04:15:38 pm »
The left hand extractor is hardened. Break it and you will have fun with your cutting wheel splattering in the air as you try to cut it. After one of those incidents I stopped using them and started cutting a keyway iwth the aircut-off wheel. Then the impact driver fits the slot and viola, no debris in the air.....

McMaster Carr sells new bolts. I have a few extra since they are sold in pkg's of 10. Need some?
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...