Author Topic: What have your done to your C14 today  (Read 94903 times)

Offline gilbysan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Ninja Rides Again!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What have your done to your C14 today
« Reply #850 on: January 06, 2020, 09:34:29 pm »
At 34.5K Miles decided to check the valve clearance.  After removing all the appro. skins and following Fred Harmon's DVD, which is great by the way.  It is particularly good when you can play it back at 1.4 to 2.0 speed which retains the voice over but moves things along more quickly. I found Fred's voice too soothing to watch for long without getting sleepy while holding a wrench, lol.

With all that, it turns out that literally all tolerances/gaps for intake were between .005"-.006" and exhaust gaps were all .008" to .009" but for the #1 cylinder outboard exhaust valve which indicated .0075"; not enough to justify pulling the cam to do a shim change, IMO.  So, I buttoned it all up using the gasket parts from Murph's, then took the opportunity to do a bit of wiring neatening up. 

Thankfully it all went back together well and runs the same as before with the additional peace of mind that the valves are in good order and I saved several large by doing it myself.  BTW, I say doing it myself but really I have to thank my Son, Zach for his help and guidance since he has done valve adjustments on his Turbo Busa and knows his way around things like cylinder heads and such more than I do.  The last time I pulled the head off a motor was when I had a Hodaka Super Rat in the '60s, therefore no valves since it was a 2 stroke...

I guess next will be the front steering bearings and fork oil change...
Cheers!
Gilbysan, aka- Fat Ninja

gilbysan

Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #851 on: January 07, 2020, 01:33:42 am »
At 34.5K Miles decided to check the valve clearance.  After removing all the appro. skins and following Fred Harmon's DVD, which is great by the way.  It is particularly good when you can play it back at 1.4 to 2.0 speed which retains the voice over but moves things along more quickly. I found Fred's voice too soothing to watch for long without getting sleepy while holding a wrench, lol.

With all that, it turns out that literally all tolerances/gaps for intake were between .005"-.006" and exhaust gaps were all .008" to .009" but for the #1 cylinder outboard exhaust valve which indicated .0075"; not enough to justify pulling the cam to do a shim change, IMO.  So, I buttoned it all up using the gasket parts from Murph's, then took the opportunity to do a bit of wiring neatening up. 

Thankfully it all went back together well and runs the same as before with the additional peace of mind that the valves are in good order and I saved several large by doing it myself.  BTW, I say doing it myself but really I have to thank my Son, Zach for his help and guidance since he has done valve adjustments on his Turbo Busa and knows his way around things like cylinder heads and such more than I do.  The last time I pulled the head off a motor was when I had a Hodaka Super Rat in the '60s, therefore no valves since it was a 2 stroke...

Cheers!
Gilbysan, aka- Fat Ninja
Good work Gilbysan! I was skeered the first time, but it's not so bad, getting the body work off was the hardest part. I changed my final drive oil for the first time today, it took seemingly very little to refill it, maybe 5-6 oz, does that seem right? Man it was icky gray and dirty, put Lucas synthetic 75-90w in it. The manual says about every other pill change but i may do it every time ifv that's all it uses, sure doesn't take long.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
« Reply #852 on: January 07, 2020, 12:35:05 pm »
. . . I found Fred's voice too soothing to watch for long without getting sleepy while holding a wrench, lol. . .

Yes, his voice is "calming" to say the least - great vids though!
2012 C14

Offline gilbysan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Ninja Rides Again!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #853 on: January 07, 2020, 12:55:24 pm »
HR,
You are correct, the final drive heavy oil res. does not take very much at all to refill once you drain out the old sludge.  I guess it can't hurt to change it out more often than the stated service interval.  It is a really important part of the drive train so why not take extra care of it. 

I have taken the the skins of Connie so many times in the last 30K+ miles that the screws seem to know their places without me having to think about it anymore.  The issue is replacing those pesky rubber well nuts when they wear out.
Safe Riding!
Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja
gilbysan

Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Online Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Road Bike
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2020, 11:57:45 pm »
Received my TPMS sensors back today with fresh batteries. This saved me a small fortune at the dealer for new sensors and programing.  I got it all back together and off the jack safely and quite easily, this is the easiest bike I've owned for wheels/brakes/removal maintenance. Still dislike the plastic removal though.
  A huge thank you to Fred for the extremely fast work and return, also nice to deal with folks that do what they say and say what they do. :great:  I'm back on the road.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #855 on: January 12, 2020, 01:17:26 am »

Cheers!
Gilbysan, aka- Fat Ninja

I waited till 46K miles. I was going to wait till 50-60K but the broken star springs made the choice to have the valves checked during that repair. 3 exhaust were tight, but not dangerously so. Had them done and the SS service.

Except for oil changes and brake fluid service I do on my own I am not going to worry about any other potential maintenance. Cheers and beers!
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #856 on: January 12, 2020, 01:30:31 am »

Cheers!
Gilbysan, aka- Fat Ninja
Good work Gilbysan! I was skeered the first time, but it's not so bad, getting the body work off was the hardest part. I changed my final drive oil for the first time today, it took seemingly very little to refill it, maybe 5-6 oz, does that seem right? Man it was icky gray and dirty, put Lucas synthetic 75-90w in it. The manual says about every other pill change but i may do it every time ifv that's all it uses, sure doesn't take long.

I change the rear drive oil every oil change at 3K miles. Its overkill but so what. I use Redline 75-90 synthetic gear oil for mine. The 1st couple of rear drive oil changes the oil was somewhat dark and metallic looking. Not anymore. Clean every time now. I fill it while spinning the tire backwards so the gear oil is drawn into the drive. I then stop it and wait for the oil to level, if its starts to overflow and drip out the fill hole I know its topped off. I use a small squirt bottle with the gear oil in it.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #857 on: January 12, 2020, 01:09:09 pm »
Oil change and rear drive oil. Like a previous poster, the first 2-3 changes the rear drive oil was black. Still amber yesterday.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 13013
« Reply #858 on: January 20, 2020, 11:13:38 pm »
Triple-flushed the old coolant and filled it back up with Steve's cooling cocktail.  When feeling the radiator hose to see if the engine has warmed enough to circulate coolant, have you ever discovered how similar a header pipe can look to the hose in a dimly lit garage?  :-\
2012 C14

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #859 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:11 pm »
Waiting on my rebuilt forks and Penske rear, so decided to strip for cleaning and coolant change. Had the exhaust pipe off for a week and kinda forgot about it. Installed the battery and fired her up to circulate the juice and WOW, he is loud without the muffler...I think I pooped a little.

Got some earplugs and let it get warmed up, all is good. Now come on Mr UPS man!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #860 on: February 08, 2020, 11:11:27 pm »
Mounted a  black Givi 30l Dolomiti top case in preparation for a 6000 mile round trip to the National Rally in Vancouver, Washington this summer.
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Kzz1king

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 13094
« Reply #861 on: February 09, 2020, 01:43:34 am »
Did you ship the forks out somewhere? Curious as to shipping costs

Waiting on my rebuilt forks and Penske rear, so decided to strip for cleaning and coolant change. Had the exhaust pipe off for a week and kinda forgot about it. Installed the battery and fired her up to circulate the juice and WOW, he is loud without the muffler...I think I pooped a little.

Got some earplugs and let it get warmed up, all is good. Now come on Mr UPS man!

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Bicycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #862 on: February 09, 2020, 02:48:32 am »
After reading all the posts about the problems with rear brakes on bikes with ABS I bled the front and rear brakes a couple of times.  The fluid from the rear was dark, about the color or a light maple syrup, the front was quite a bit lighter in color.  Changed the battery in the front TPMS and put on a Michelin Road 5, can't keep waiting for the GT to be released.
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline Gscott

• Mini Bike
  • 09 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #863 on: February 09, 2020, 10:16:28 am »
Will be mounting a set of angels gt A spec today, replacing the standard gt's after 11,000 miles 

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #864 on: February 09, 2020, 01:23:31 pm »
Yes, I shipped them across half the state of WA to KFG Motorsports, the 'local' suspension magicians. Bought an 11.00 padded shotgun case at Walmart, added additional stabilizers of cardboard tubes and a bit more foam. Weight was about 11 pounds, but the odd shape added cost. Shipping was only 40 dollars....until added insurance to the amount of 2200.00, then it went up to 90.00.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Kzz1king

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 13094
« Reply #865 on: February 09, 2020, 07:41:55 pm »
Thanks

Yes, I shipped them across half the state of WA to KFG Motorsports, the 'local' suspension magicians. Bought an 11.00 padded shotgun case at Walmart, added additional stabilizers of cardboard tubes and a bit more foam. Weight was about 11 pounds, but the odd shape added cost. Shipping was only 40 dollars....until added insurance to the amount of 2200.00, then it went up to 90.00.

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #866 on: February 10, 2020, 08:59:46 pm »
Maybe you already said but I didn't see, what are you having done to the forks? I did new stock rate springs, seals and oil. Feels ok until pushed then it feels like the front end isn't tracking well over rough pavement especially in transition 'at speed'. Not terribly confidence inspiring, especially with the rear being so underdamped on the high speed circuit. The Penske should be nice upgrade, 2 or 3 clicker? I rode mine to work today, as usual.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Rideezdale

• rideEZdale
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #867 on: February 16, 2020, 09:39:17 pm »
Pulled it out of hibernation.  57 degrees.
Getting it ready for the first rally of the year.
HMR #7
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours,  2008 Kawasaki concours

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #868 on: February 17, 2020, 01:16:51 am »
Put the plastics back on!! Before I forget how. Still will be about 2 weeks before I can get the reworked forks back on and have to time to finish it. But getting closer, and warmer!

Offline dcstrng

• Moped
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #869 on: February 18, 2020, 10:12:28 am »
Wired in a outlet to run a heated jacket-liner... ten times more fiddly-diddly stuff than any other bike I've had and then had to lengthen it to boot, but oh well... looks like it'll work now that it is warming up a bit... hmmmm...
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline Wingedspirit

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12707
« Reply #870 on: February 18, 2020, 01:39:27 pm »
Ordered the Annitori quick shifter for fun!

Offline jonesey2791

• Tricycle
« Reply #871 on: February 19, 2020, 02:13:24 am »
Ordered a replacement dual helmet lock after the one on my C14 survived a not-so-brute force attack. Some goon tried to steal my lid while it was on the bike in a parking garage. The lock (from ProjektD) repelled the attack but suffered some damage so a replacement was ordered and swapped out soon enough.

Offline Christopher

• Mini Bike
« Reply #872 on: February 19, 2020, 10:07:01 pm »
I finally installed my Phil's rack I got for Xmas!

Offline Nickrides

• Nickrides
  • Mini Bike
  • Nickrides
« Reply #873 on: February 21, 2020, 12:00:13 am »
I gave my 2014 C-14 a detail and wax job.
I know the first batch of bugs will negate that work but she sure does looks sharp now!
I'm curious when I wear out my RS3 tires, I'm going to put on some RS2's

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
« Reply #874 on: February 21, 2020, 08:27:08 pm »
Finally had to replace the original OEM battery on my 2012. Replaced it with the exact same OEM battery as it must be a great battery to last 8 years. Lasted 8 years with no problems (I believe) due to the fact it has always been on a "Battery Tender".
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)