Author Topic: What have your done to your C14 today  (Read 94288 times)

Offline Gd916

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: What have your done to your C14 today
« Reply #875 on: February 22, 2020, 02:34:05 am »
Stared at it in my garage.  -10 deg C and no hope for riding until April.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #876 on: February 23, 2020, 12:38:52 am »
Bled the brakes again. All clear fluid front and rear. Feared the 2 year old Z900RS w/ABS might suffer from the dirty fluid that the C14 rear brakes had, but all clear fluid front and rear.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Carlrf

• Big Wheels
  • Grand Junction Colorado
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #877 on: February 23, 2020, 03:56:04 am »
I sent a deposit for my first C14 250 miles away. 2011 Silver 14K miles Plan to meet and bring it home this weekend. And registered on this forum.
2011 C14 / Grand Junction Colorado

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #878 on: February 23, 2020, 01:27:57 pm »
Let us know when you pick it up.
Then,,, Come ride with us.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Nickrides

• Nickrides
  • Mini Bike
  • Nickrides
« Reply #879 on: February 23, 2020, 02:19:23 pm »
Carl RF
Welcome
Try and find out if the ECU has been "Flashed"
If not you'll want to do that first thing IMHO
I bought my 2014 C-14 from Grand Junction Powersports last June.
Love that C-14!!

Offline jonesey2791

• Tricycle
« Reply #880 on: February 25, 2020, 08:58:25 pm »
Pinned my bags after only 8 1/2 years of ownership...

Congrats to CarlRF! Welcome.

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #881 on: February 25, 2020, 09:37:27 pm »
I sent a deposit for my first C14 250 miles away. 2011 Silver 14K miles Plan to meet and bring it home this weekend. And registered on this forum.
Congratulations on the new ride.  If you want all that COG has to offer, drop the $37 for a full membership (we are more than just a forum).  You'll get access to tech info that forum only members don't get to see, plus the highly rated Concourier magazine and the ever valuable COG membership handbook that has all the paying members contact info.  In that book you find folks that will help you out when you have a problem, all over the country.  Better than AAA.  Join up and help COG continue to help you!  Welcome! :beerchug:
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Christopher

• Mini Bike
« Reply #882 on: February 28, 2020, 12:53:08 pm »
Ordered some LEDs from SoCal moto. Otherwise the bike sits... :-(

Offline jonesey2791

• Tricycle
« Reply #883 on: February 28, 2020, 10:10:22 pm »
Replaced the helmet locks after some rat tried to steal my lid.

The lock did its job and resisted the attack. Pictures included.

Offline Jethrobolas

• Tricycle
« Reply #884 on: February 29, 2020, 01:29:47 pm »

Nothing better than doing freelance dental work on a thief caught in the act or found shortly thereafter with the goods. Unfortunately the option of volunteering to remove teeth from the appropriate individuals  does not present itself nearly often enough relative to the requests for removal.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:33:12 pm by Jethrobolas »

Offline IBAJIM

• Moped
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #885 on: March 01, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
Now have my front forks rebuilt and was going to install the front wheel & calipers and bleed the front brakes, etc. but also decided to do a few other things first :  1.)  Check the tightness of the exhaust manifold nuts  2.)  Replace the exhaust cam position sensor o-ring with the MOB o-ring ( it's slightly thicker than the OEM o-ring, BTW) 3.)  Install dual horns that actually sound like a horn and not the Road Runner.

So I removed the three radiator mounting bolts so I could get a little more room to work.  Actually, I also removed the right fan so I could get my hand in there between the radiator and exhaust cam sensor and manifold nuts.

All the exhaust manifold nuts needed a little snugging down ( about 18K miles on the bike ), especially the ones for cylinder #3.

The exhaust cam sensor was seeping a little oil down onto the exhaust pipe so the MOB o-ring should take care of that problem.  I thought I could smell a little oil burning after starting the bike after it had set for awhile.  I lubed the o-ring with some dielectric grease before I installed it onto the sensor.  It slipped right into the hole without any problem.

Looks like I will use the OEM horn mounting bracket and just add a strap to it and mount the new horns to the new strap.  I'll install a relay to power the new horns and fuse the new circuit at 15 amps.  I'll change the OEM horn fuse from 10 amps to 3 amps and use that circuit to power the coil of the new relay.

Then I'll get the front end stuff re-mounted and move onto a valve check & adjust, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:52:59 pm by IBAJIM »
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011 & 2019) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3  All Yooperland SS1K ( 2019)
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline IBAJIM

• Moped
« Reply #886 on: March 02, 2020, 09:32:24 pm »
Now have my front forks rebuilt and was going to install the front wheel & calipers and bleed the front brakes, etc. but also decided to do a few other things first :  1.)  Check the tightness of the exhaust manifold nuts  2.)  Replace the exhaust cam position sensor o-ring with the MOB o-ring ( it's slightly thicker than the OEM o-ring, BTW) 3.)  Install dual horns that actually sound like a horn and not the Road Runner. 4.)  Install the Fender Extender I bought last year - almost forgot about it.

So I removed the three radiator mounting bolts so I could get a little more room to work.  Actually, I also removed the right fan so I could get my hand in there between the radiator and exhaust cam sensor and manifold nuts.

All the exhaust manifold nuts needed a little snugging down ( about 18K miles on the bike ), especially the ones for cylinder #3.

The exhaust cam sensor was seeping a little oil down onto the exhaust pipe so the MOB o-ring should take care of that problem.  I thought I could smell a little oil burning after starting the bike after it had set for awhile.  I lubed the o-ring with some dielectric grease before I installed it onto the sensor.  It slipped right into the hole without any problem.

Looks like I will use the OEM horn mounting bracket and just add a strap to it and mount the new horns to the new strap.  I'll install a relay to power the new horns and fuse the new circuit at 15 amps.  I'll change the OEM horn fuse from 10 amps to 3 amps and use that circuit to power the coil of the new relay.

EDIT: Didn't need to install a relay - that saved me some work.  The OEM horn was marked "3 A."   Each of the new Hella "Motorcycle Disc Horn" are a little smaller in diameter than the OM horn and each is marked "1.5A".   The spec on the box is "2x16W" which is about 1.5 Amps each.   So I'm using the original wiring and fuse - the total amps is the same as the single OEM horn.  One horn is 380 Hz and the other is 480 Hz and the total dB rating is 108 dB(A).  The OM horn is stamped 105 dB.  So they are a bit louder,  but the dual horns have a better sound, IMO.

BTW, the Hella PN on the box is 012588011.

I also installed a 1A/2.1A  USB power outlet that also has a built-in DVM that monitors the input voltage.

Then I'll get the front end stuff re-mounted and move onto a valve check & adjust, I'm sure.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:27:10 am by IBAJIM »

Offline IBAJIM

• Moped
« Reply #887 on: March 03, 2020, 06:42:44 pm »
Now have my front forks rebuilt and was going to install the front wheel & calipers and bleed the front brakes, etc. but also decided to do a few other things first :  1.)  Check the tightness of the exhaust manifold nuts  2.)  Replace the exhaust cam position sensor o-ring with the MOB o-ring ( it's slightly thicker than the OEM o-ring, BTW) 3.)  Install dual horns that actually sound like a horn and not the Road Runner. 4.)  Install the Fender Extender I bought last year - almost forgot about it.

EDIT: Didn't need to install a relay - that saved me some work.  The OEM horn was marked "3 A."   Each of the new Hella "Motorcycle Disc Horn" are a little smaller in diameter than the OM horn and each is marked "1.5A".   The spec on the box is "2x16W" which is about 1.5 Amps each.   So I'm using the original wiring and fuse - the total amps is the same as the single OEM horn.  One horn is 380 Hz and the other is 480 Hz and the total dB rating is 108 dB(A).  The OM horn is stamped 105 dB.  So they are a bit louder,  but the dual horns have a better sound, IMO.

I also installed a 1A/2.1A  USB power outlet that also has a built-in DVM that monitors the input voltage.

EDIT:  Glued & screwed a Fender Extender on the front fender last night & mounted the fender today.

Now to mount the new tire on the rim, have it spin-balanced at my local independent MC shop and finish up on the front end.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:28:12 am by IBAJIM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #888 on: March 03, 2020, 07:59:28 pm »

Nothing better than doing freelance dental work on a thief caught in the act or found shortly thereafter with the goods. Unfortunately the option of volunteering to remove teeth from the appropriate individuals  does not present itself nearly often enough relative to the requests for removal.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :TPIWWP: :1rij: :1rij: :1rij: :021: :13: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :campfire: :clap: :clap: :singing:

I'll be 65 in 4 days... and I've never enjoyed anything so much in life, as making an impact... on someone's stupid life.. now mind you, I never, ever,  looked for confrontation, and I'm a very passive person..  but my wife has seen the results a couple times, and is always amazed.. and to think I always talked her son out of "physical confrontations many times.. "... only to have to rescind on what I just lectured him about seconds ago, when he followed my order... go figure..

now... never hit anyone in the mouth... you will cut your fingers, and get germs.. big hard rib "shots" and broken Knees.. are where it's at.. semper Fi....

:)) :)) :))

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Christopher

• Mini Bike
« Reply #889 on: March 04, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »
Just installed my pathfinders finally. Regarding the heatsink. Are people tightening the set screw or just rotating the heatsink til it's tight and calling it a day. I wondered if that's what that wave washer is for, kinda like a lock washer. Also had a time figuring out where to install the wiring/resister/black box etc. Left side I tucked behind the windscreen regulator and the right I velcro'd it to the side and tucked wiring away. Nothing touches when turning the bars lock to lock or able to chat anything as that was my biggest concern.  It took way longer than I expected  :-/

Offline IBAJIM

• Moped
« Reply #890 on: March 05, 2020, 05:58:03 pm »

EDIT:  Glued & screwed a Fender Extender on the front fender last night & mounted the fender today.

Now to mount the new tire on the rim, have it spin-balanced at my local independent MC shop and finish up on the front end.

EDIT:  Decided to wait a while for the weather to warm up before I mount the tire.  It should be easier to mount then.

Began to remove all the stuff so I can get at the cam cover and do the valve check.  The 10 mm hex head bolt that secures the bottom of the right side engine/frame brace to the engine was very, very tight.  I couldn't budge it with my impact wrench.  Why they use the red locktite is beyond me.  I think the blue would do the job just fine.    I was concerned that I might strip the female hex socket on the bolt.  I was able to move the radiator forward after removing the three radiator mounting bolts and get a propane torch in from the left side.  after heating the end of the bolt for about a minute,  it spun right out - probably could have loosened it with a 3/8 inch drive ratchet.  I re-tapped the threads in the engine ( 10mm x 1.25mm ) to be on the safe side.  And I'll replace that hex bolt and use blue locktite when I re-assemble.

Oh yeah, also removed the CSS-100 servo and vacuum canister.  Will be replacing it with a Rostra.

I'm at the point where I'll be removing the stick coils & intake camshaft position sensor and then be able to remove the cam cover.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:42:25 pm by IBAJIM »

Offline 2andBlue

• Tricycle
« Reply #891 on: March 08, 2020, 11:28:36 pm »
Installed Full AreaP Exhaust and upgraded flash from Stock to the newly revised AreaP.

Report: There is no comparison!  Super Smooth power throughout entire RPM range.  Can’t say I noticed any lag down low and top end is outstanding  :) . I am an enthusiast - not a bounce off the limiter type, however, stock over 8K she was pretty flat, now constant full pull until you get off it!

Anyone on the fence for this performance upgrade - totally worth it!  Can’t wait to hit the twisties and mountains!

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #892 on: March 09, 2020, 12:27:19 am »
Test rode her for the first time since Jan. 7th. Other than a coolant change only mods to evaluate were the set up to order Penske 8983 Rear shock, and rebuilt/valved/re-sprung set up to my weight and riding style forks from KFG Motorsports.

I am very pleased with the baseline settings, but know I can dial them in a bit better as I get some miles on them. My real world test indicators are two bumps I see once or twice a day to/from work that normally bottomed out the rear. Now she just floats over them. Under 40 on some of the rougher roads it did feel a tad rougher, but then they are set up for faster cornering manners. Only a couple I could take at 45 degree temps and the roads sandy, but the bike feels more planted and on rails under speed and lean. No wallowing yet.

Only little snag in the fork transaction was one of the stock rebound adjuster knobs was broken into many pieces when I unpacked them. The sender owned up and said would replace but they are not easily obtained I fear. Decided to just 3D print some easier to adjust ones. All good!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #893 on: March 11, 2020, 02:28:24 pm »
Last Monday, new front brake pads.  It defiantly needed them with one of the pads having almost none of the wear lines left.  I swapped them from left to right at 21,500 miles and just changed them at 27,500 miles.  I'll swap them again, left to right at 41,000 miles.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja Sold / 1999 Kawasaki Concours Sold / 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #894 on: March 11, 2020, 03:08:04 pm »
Wash and wax, put on a new VistaCruze. Do any of you guys have a deer whistle and if so where did you locate it? Im thinking the underside of the right hand mirror but i think ive seen them on the side of front fenders. Ideas?
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #895 on: March 11, 2020, 09:07:50 pm »
Heavy Ro-Tatio...I run WTF Whistles, (WTF, they may or may not work but for 5 bucks i'll try it.) I think they are supposed to be used in pairs. I put them on the underside of the small plastic trim plate held by 4 pushpins just under the chinny chin chin of the headlights. It comes on and off easily by itself so I spaced them as far apart as I could and used double sided tape with one small flat head screw. (Mine had 3 countersunk holes in the base and the actual whistler slides in and out. Will try to get pics and post tonight.

They also work fantastic on deer, moose, elephants, alpacas, water buffalo, tribbles, Venusian Snarktards, and hot young women. I have not 'hit' any of these since I have been running them on my bikes starting back in about 1987.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #896 on: March 12, 2020, 04:32:29 pm »
locating pic

Offline HeavyRotation

• Scooter
  • COG#: 13089
« Reply #897 on: March 13, 2020, 05:29:48 am »
locating pic
Cool man, that's the one ive got, figured it couldn't hurt. Looked at that spot too, wasn't sure if the fender would hit them at full compression, i ride some pretty rough roads. I had a really close call with a deer last week.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #898 on: March 13, 2020, 10:30:25 am »
Got a flat tire on the way home from an event the other night.

No it's looking sad waiting for me to get in there and inspect to see if I can fix it or need to replace it.
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Nickrides

• Nickrides
  • Mini Bike
  • Nickrides
« Reply #899 on: March 16, 2020, 11:29:24 pm »
Picked up my 2014 C-14 from my mechanic.
He adjusted my valves, all 16 needed adjusting, now there all on the slightly loose side of spec range.
New  sparkplugs plugs
New airfilter
Throttle bodies synced
Coolant Change
Corona virus can't catch me now!
He did all this only charging me 6 hrs labor total which I thought was great!
He's owned this bike and knows the motor.