Author Topic: What header is on my bike.  (Read 738 times)

Offline ursharkfuel

• Moped
  • God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 13146
  • Membership Level: Active
What header is on my bike.
« on: July 20, 2020, 05:10:59 am »
I got my Connie used on consignment at a dealer. They put me in contact with the prior owner and we spent an hour on the phone talking about the bike. The owner told me he replaced the ENTIRE exhaust system and sent the bike off to be flashed and tuned. Not sure if that is 100% true but here is what I do know:
  • She has a Two Brothers Black Series Carbon Fiber slip on.
  • The pipe and header are very clean and not discolored for a bike with 23K on her. And the header looks like titanium to me. That light golden color is very distinctive - I know it from fabricating with it while in the USAF. F-15s and even F-4's love the stuff.  :great:
  • Money did not seem to be an issue for the prior owner because the dealer told me he paid CASH for his new Triumph Rocket - his 2nd Triumph this year, and he let me have the C14 pretty cheap for all the farkles she has because he didn't want 7 bikes in the garage!

I guess I could find a spot under the bike and tap it with a grinder and see if the tell tale bright white sparks come off the pipe. For those that don't know, titanium puts on a grinding light show!  :o  But I would rather ask.

Did anyone make a titanium header for the C14?

Thanks,
Jon

2011 Connie 14, 2008 KLR 650, 87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ 750, 87 Honda Hurricane 1000, 84 Yamaha FJ 1100, 76 Honda CB 750K, 73 Kawasaki KZ 900 Z1 based drag bike (not street legal), 82 Honda Aspencade 1100, 1 new and 2 used Harley mistakes, 76 Triumph Bonneville 750

Online Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: What header is on my bike.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 08:43:56 am »
All the C14 ones I've ever seen were Stainless. Certain Stainless Steels will discolour to a yellow after several heat cycles.
It could also be a ZX14 header as several 4-1 or 4-2-1 were made for the ZX14.
Titanium headers are rare as it's such a beyotch to weld or bend.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 10:18:36 am »
 Take a picture of the head pipes and of the collector. Measure the head pipe diameter and post it up.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 12:08:33 pm »
The gold hue happens a lot on the headers.
I agree. Prolly stainless or stainless alloy.
But, a possibility..

Airforce?  :-\
   {I knew I didn't like you for some reason}  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted  {Fly Navy}  :great:
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline ursharkfuel

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 01:35:43 am »
The gold hue happens a lot on the headers.
I agree. Prolly stainless or stainless alloy.
But, a possibility..

Airforce?  :-\
   {I knew I didn't like you for some reason}  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted  {Fly Navy}  :great:

The stories I could tell about navy guys crashing our parties...... ::)  Let's just say there were never any USAF character in the Village People, nor did they ever do a song called "In the Air Force." But you just keep lying to yourself about the proclivities of the USAF vs the Navy.  :nananana:  :rotflmao:  Oh darn, did I just use one of those big words. I am so sorry, I know how difficult they are for you Navy types. Proclivities, say it slowly and sound it out to yourself - it means tendency, proneness, or inclination.  :)

I like you in spite of your Navy past Ted.....everyone is entitled to a mistake...we are only human!  And some more than others! ;)

Take care my friend,
Jon
2011 Connie 14, 2008 KLR 650, 87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ 750, 87 Honda Hurricane 1000, 84 Yamaha FJ 1100, 76 Honda CB 750K, 73 Kawasaki KZ 900 Z1 based drag bike (not street legal), 82 Honda Aspencade 1100, 1 new and 2 used Harley mistakes, 76 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 02:52:41 pm »
Ouch, that hurt a little. {I think}  :truce:

(Proclivities) Let's not confuse the Army/Marines.

Village People? Geez, you are old.

Crash your "parties"?
  I though the AF had "Ball Room Dancing".

err; Getting back to the headers.
       Any chance you can post a photo?
        We really need head pipe pairing and diameter info.
           {(Since your AF) Head pipe; is the first section of the headers that attaches at the head}.  :dance:
                                     Pairing; is which head pipes tie together.  :nananana:
                                     Diameter; how big a pipe is / (isn't).   :-X
        Stock pairing is 1/4 and 2/3.
              Many/most aftermarket headers use 1/2 and 3/4 pairing.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: For an Airforce guy, your ok too. But you sure talk funeeee...  (Proclivities)   :great:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:20:43 pm by connie_rider »

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 04:19:19 pm »

Offline Warrant

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 03:07:01 pm »
Just putting this out there, but I had a full titanium system on my previous ZRX1100 and the color hue is more rainbow like than the gold hue a stainless system gets

Hope this helps

Cheers eh!

Go outside and play, BC, Canada

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 04:21:26 pm »
That is a good looking machine!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline ursharkfuel

• Moped
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 04:28:13 am »
Ouch, that hurt a little. {I think}  :truce:

(Proclivities) Let's not confuse the Army/Marines.

Village People? Geez, you are old.

Crash your "parties"?
  I though the AF had "Ball Room Dancing".

err; Getting back to the headers.
       Any chance you can post a photo?
        We really need head pipe pairing and diameter info.
           {(Since your AF) Head pipe; is the first section of the headers that attaches at the head}.  :dance:
                                     Pairing; is which head pipes tie together.  :nananana:
                                     Diameter; how big a pipe is / (isn't).   :-X
        Stock pairing is 1/4 and 2/3.
              Many/most aftermarket headers use 1/2 and 3/4 pairing.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: For an Airforce guy, your ok too. But you sure talk funeeee...  (Proclivities)   :great:

I got a chance to glance to look under Connie's skirt today (all of a minute)  :o I could not see anything that I would swear to in court because of the radiator obscuring my view (sorry about using another big word). But I have worked on enough 4 cylinder bikes to understand the mount positions and the natural slope to the tubes. So it looks like 1-2, and 3-4 to me. But I still plan to hit a joint with a grinder when I find time to be 100% certain.

I don't plan to do any measuring until I do my next maintenance in late August - then I will find my digital caliper that is not in my toolbox for some reason. I'm guessing my brother in-law helped himself like last time. Not sure what he would use it for, he is a knuckle dragging primate when it comes to tools.

Do you know what they call a seaman in the USAF? A guy too dumb to be an airman!  :)) I heard that one at the last "ball room dance" I attended.

Take care buddy,
Jon

Offline 1965soda

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10056
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 01:35:15 pm »
Hi ursharkfuel.  Ted alerted me of your thread as he knew I had a Yoshimura full system on my bike and thought I could offer some input.  You may have already found an answer but just in case.....

I am running a full Yoshimura system on my bike.  It is for a ZX14, is a tri-Y design, and is made from stainless steel.  I had to make some modifications to it to make it work on the C14 as the hanger bracket for the mid-pipe is not quite in the same location on the C14.  If you have not looked, check to see if the hanger bracket on yours appears modified in some way as that may help determine if it was for a C14 or modified so a system from a ZX14 would fit. 

From what I recall when I decided on the Yoshi system.....Area P and Akrapovic were the only systems made specifically for the C14.  Don't hold me to this but I think the Akrapovic system had an option for a TI header.

On the ZX14, I recall Brock's and Muzzy had a TI system at the time.  So maybe....you have one of those on your bike but the Two Brothers muffler is a bit confusing unless the previous owner sort-of pieced a system together. 

As others have noted, my experience with TI systems is they turn more of a bluish color after several heat cycles.  Stainless tends to turn more of a golden hue. 

I hope that helps but circle back if I can be of any further assistance.
Currently in garage: 2011 C14, 2001 M900 S4, 1983 900 Seca, 2003 ZRX1200, 1982 650 Seca, 2012 Brutale 1090R
Rides of the past: 2007 FZ1, 8? Husq 430, 2002 ZRX1200, 1986 900 Ninja, 1999 Ducati 900ss, 2002 R6, 2005 FJR, 1998 C10, 1998 VTR1000, 1989 1100 Katana, 1983 CB1100F, 1985 900 Ninja, 1983 900 Seca, 1982 Seca turbo, 1982 CX500 turbo, 1982 750 Seca, 1983 550 Vision, 1974 CB400F, mid 70's Rupp :-)

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 01:51:11 pm »
Still trying to figure this out for you.
Still need; photo, head pipe pairing, and diameter info.

As Soda sed; A Titanium system was not made for a C-14, but there may be some available for a ZX-14.
                    Stainless Steel headers turn the golden Hue you originally mentioned.

fyi; Navy Aviation Types are never a Seaman. We were Airmen.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Best of luck finding your tool and measuring the diameter.  :nananana:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:09:28 pm by connie_rider »

Offline ursharkfuel

• Moped
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 06:30:40 am »
Still trying to figure this out for you.
Still need; photo, head pipe pairing, and diameter info.

As Soda sed; A Titanium system was not made for a C-14, but may be some available for a ZX-14.
                    Stainless Steel headers turn the golden Hue you originally mentioned.

fyi; Navy Aviation Types are never a Seaman. We were Airmen.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Best of luck finding your tool and measuring the diameter.  :nananana:

I believe I answered the pairing question in the message you just replied to - it is 1-2 and 3-4. The diameter can wait until the fall when I do my next oil/filter, final drive lube, air filter, coolant/flush, and valves.

Thought I had a moment of genius when I put that magnet on a pipe and it did not stay - yep Titanium! Only to remember moments later  - nope, stainless also is not magnetic, so i still need the grinder for that test. Maybe tomorrow.

Ah you're an Airman, that explains why you are smarter than the average swabbie.

Oh, and I know exactly where my tool is, and the ample diameter of said tool. :nananana:  :rotflmao: Now they calipers....as I said before, they can wait for fall maintenance.  :beerchug:

Take care my friend,
Jon

Offline connie_rider

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 04:52:40 pm »
Drat!!    You called me a Swabbie and not a Squid, so I took that as a compliment.
             You may have accidentally discovered something.
             AND: Ya done talked nice about me so {out of the kindness of my heart} I did some research to help you. 

1} You can lean the bike on the side stand and below the bike} you see the bottom of the headpipe's and see the headpipe Y's.
                  There, you can measure the diameter of the pipes, and see which headpipes are tied together.
          The headpipe's on mine are 1 1/2", and the pairing is 1/4 and 2/3.
                   (Took about 3 minutes as I had to look for my calipers).   :-[
2} My headers are OEM from a 2006 ZX-14. {Chosen because of the design and because I'm poor}.
          Like the Connie headers, they are a stainless alloy, and they are magnetic.
3} From what I could find, most aftermarket headers for a Motorcycle are made from 304 SS.
         304 SS is magnetic.
4} Some motorcycle headers are made from Titanium.
          Cost of material, poor bending, and difficult to assemble make them expensive.
            Because of the bending issues, most titanium Headers segment welded/ tinker-toyed together.
          Titanium is not magnetic.
5} You sed; So it "looks like" 1-2, and 3-4 to me. You have not confirmed that thought.
6} All Airmen and Seamen are smart. {They knew not to join the Airforce}.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I understand that Airforce types, get 2 things when they complete Basic Training; {Real military Folks call it Boot Camp}
         1} Diploma; to prove they accomplished the basics.
         2} Tinker bell; To ring for room service.
                  (Sorry, I couldn't help myself}.  :rotflmao:   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:10:31 am by connie_rider »

Offline Spiderman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12420
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 06:05:48 pm »
Most stock auto and cycle exhaust systems that say are SS are not pure stainless.They can be welded with a standard wire feed welder. I believe the gas mixture is 75% carbon dioxide and 25% aragon. I`ve done that for years