Author Topic: What would you buy for the money?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: What would you buy for the money?
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2018, 09:05:26 pm »
How could you not choose the C-14 in the end?   Great choice. You will get thousands and thousands of trouble free miles.  :motonoises:  Enjoy.  :beerchug:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2018, 04:14:29 pm »
Thank you! I can't wait for the first ride!

Anyone know of anything that should be done to the bike right away as far as checks or maintenance? I know years ago my first gen FZ1 came from the factory with virtually no grease on the shock linkage bolts (a common occurrence apparently), so I took care of that right off the bat...

Anyway I thought it might be worth asking!

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2018, 05:12:11 pm »
I would check it over for obvious things like loose bolts and fluids.  Some dealers seem to have difficulties installing the battery correctly.  If you go in there to check, it may be a good time to install the battery tender leads.  Otherwise enjoy it.    :motonoises:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2018, 09:33:23 pm »
I would check it over for obvious things like loose bolts and fluids.  Some dealers seem to have difficulties installing the battery correctly.  If you go in there to check, it may be a good time to install the battery tender leads.  Otherwise enjoy it.    :motonoises:

Thanks, I took your advice!

The bike is great other than some moderate vibes through the bars. It's still in the break in period until I can get out and put some more miles on her. I may try to loosen and re-torque the motor mounts, but I have to look up the torque specs. I have a factory service manual on order, so hopefully that will arrive soon.

I'll post some pics when I can!   :great:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2018, 09:53:11 pm »

Thanks, I took your advice!

The bike is great other than some moderate vibes through the bars. It's still in the break in period until I can get out and put some more miles on her. I may try to loosen and re-torque the motor mounts, but I have to look up the torque specs. I have a factory service manual on order, so hopefully that will arrive soon.

I'll post some pics when I can!   :great:

Just a lite comment...
New to you C14, will always seem to have a bit of hand discomfort... which is normal, as everyone seems to have a "death grip" on these bikes from the start.. which causes this... I myself thought there was an issue when I bought mine... only to realize I didn't really need to have such a excessively tight "hold on I'm gonna fly off grip..."
Give yourself some time to get accustomed to the bike, release the gripping thing, remind yourself frequently to do so, you may just realize what a lot of us found, that that vibe amazingly goes away after you have a couple thousand miles on the bike, and relax...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:59 pm »
Thanks, I will give that a try.  :beerchug:

I do try to be pretty conscious of that actually as I do a lot with MX bikes and hanging on too tight can give you the dreaded forearm pump!

But with that said, the Concours is heavier that my ZX-14 was, and being so new to it I may be doing it subconsciously...

I do have a heavier Throttlemeister I kept from my ZX-14 that I believe will fit on the Concours bars, so that will be added soon as well...   ;D

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 12:17:42 am »
Clip67....try a set of these foam covers. I had them on mine and yes...they reduce vibration and still emit heat thru your grips when you have the heat turned on. Put them on before you install the Throttlemeister though....they will not slide over them. Over stock grips just soak them in water and roll them on. Once you get used to the larger size its easy to relax and yoou won't feel that slight vibration. They come out of Canada but have super fast shipping.....first set lasted me about 25,000 miles. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strada-7-Motorcycle-Foam-Grip-Covers-for-Kawasaki-Concours-Vulcan-KLR650/262394418747?hash=item3d17ed163b:g:ob8AAOxy-j9SQGpi
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 02:02:06 am »
Clip67....try a set of these foam covers. I had them on mine and yes...they reduce vibration and still emit heat thru your grips when you have the heat turned on. Put them on before you install the Throttlemeister though....they will not slide over them. Over stock grips just soak them in water and roll them on. Once you get used to the larger size its easy to relax and yoou won't feel that slight vibration. They come out of Canada but have super fast shipping.....first set lasted me about 25,000 miles. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strada-7-Motorcycle-Foam-Grip-Covers-for-Kawasaki-Concours-Vulcan-KLR650/262394418747?hash=item3d17ed163b:g:ob8AAOxy-j9SQGpi

Grip puppies! Lol...

I had a version of these on my ZX-14 from CA Sport-touring (I don't think they are around any more), and they were called grip puppies, and they do help with the vibes. I wasn't sure if I could use them with the heated grips or not, but thanks for the info!

Anyone know if you can replace the stock grips with a gel grip (such as in the following link) and still be able to use the heated grips feature?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1005/24731/Pro-Grip-719-RVGS-Gel-Grip-Open-End

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 11:48:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure those grips won't work....the heating elements are bedded in the OEM grips I believe. If you try to roll the end of the grips inward you can see the wire.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.