Author Topic: What would you buy for the money?  (Read 4769 times)

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
What would you buy for the money?
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:25:31 pm »
Hello!

I'm looking for honest opinions on what to pick up for my next motorcycle. My max budget is about $13K.

I've been riding for years and sold my gen 1 Kawi ZX14 last spring. Being without a street bike last summer was tough, so I'm looking to buy a sport tour oriented bike.

Some of my considerations are:

- Bike weight
- Leg room  (my knees aren't the best)
- Engine performance / smooth power
- Reliability
- Being able to rest my hands with CC or similar device as my hands go numb and I have mild carpel tunnel

- Good and adjustable suspension as I may be riding two up or with extra weight with overnight things

- Decent handling for a bigger bike
- Overall value

My short list:

- Hopefully a new leftover 2016 or 2017 Concours

- Yamaha FJR 1300A, but possibly ES

- BMW 1200 RT, used and within my price range

- BTW 1600, used and within my price range

- Triumph Trophy if I can find one...

- Any other recommendation

I realize this is the Concours forum, but I would love to hear opinions and thoughts on what would you buy for the money? What else have you ridden, and liked or disliked?

Thanks in advance!

Offline al_ferguson01

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: What would you buy for the money?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »
I've ridden all of the bikes on your short list except the BMW 1600 (no point, too expensive). Above them all, I chose a 2016 C14 and for many of the same reasons you note - I've been an FJR1300 rider for the past 10 years. The new FJRs don't compete with the new C14 (IMHO). My recent (December 2017) NEW 2016 C14 purchase was $11k out the door so the "bang for the buck" is outstanding (again, IMHO). I'll put close to another $1k in accessories (header, flash ECU, small bits here and there) and could still buy TWO of these C14 for less than 1 BMW1600.... I expect to get 10+ years of service from this sport tourer so when you think about it, that's a pretty inexpensive set of wheels!
2016 Concours 14 ABS
2017 H.D. Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »
Lots of options for $13K.  A new but leftover C14, possibly even a 2017 model might be had for that.  Not sure sure about the FJR, it seems Yamaha prefers to keep the prices close to MSRP and the dealers never seem to deal on them.  If you are in any way $$$ constrained, forget the BMWs.  Cost of ownership is insane on those!

If you're expecting someone to recommend something other than a Kawasaki C14 here, you'll probably not get too much of that.  But seriously, I also have a 2005 GL1800, which does fit your requirements, but the Kawasaki is WAY more fun to ride.  I only keep the Goldwing because it's the only one that allows my wife to ride pillion without having to bend her knees too far.  She's only good to about 90 degrees and you don't get that for the passenger on the C14 even with dropped passenger pegs.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:27 pm »
    I was in a similar situation, and have ridden a few of the bikes you mention. I obviously (of course) went with a 2015 C14. I found mine new for a great deal, so price was a big part of it. The aftermarket is strong, too, which is another plus. Ivan having a flash available for it was a factor. In my grizzled old age have been genuinely impressed by the motorcycle so far, and yet much can be done to it that puts it in better form. IMO the C14 motor with the flash and slip on is the best of the ST bikes I have ridden with the best torque delivery and midrange. If I had to complain about it, I wish it had the newer 14r gen engine, more chassis rigidity, and a less floppy windshield. It is tall and heavy, and somewhat of a bitch to work on with all the bodywork. Compared to the other bikes I have ridden it has the best controlled but least plush suspension. The C14 rides loaded better than the others. Legroom is better than the FJR, as is the seat. There is more slop in the drivetrain of the C14 than the new BMW, but the shaft system on the Kawasaki controls the rear end unlike anything else I've sampled on a big bike. If you ride fast, this puts the C14 in a class by itself. Would own and would buy.

I rode the '17 K1600 GT and GTL and was very impressed by the motor and drivetrain. The motor, finish, transmission and shaft drive are just exquisite on the newest K bikes, among the best I've ridden. However, I thought that the package is just not integrated as a whole, and flat overwhelmed by electronics. If BMW could think of it, it's on the bike. The throttle is totally by wire, and the computer has a mind of its own with respect to what you get with throttle input. The power the 6 has is formidable, but its delivery is biased toward high revs. The meat of the power resides where you have to either wait or shift when you mean business. The suspension on the bikes both became overwhelmed in corners for 180# me and 100# wife, no luggage. I found the (dynamic) suspension settings to be plush and comfortable, but not capable of controlling the chassis in corners or at speed on any setting. The GT was a little better than the GTL in this respect. I never felt like I was 100% in control of the K bikes. They are tall and heavy like the C14, and will be more comfortable for longer rides than the C14 or FJR. The newer K bikes feel quite different than the previous gen models, particularly with better drivetrain and transmission, but IMO the newer bikes double down on the disconnected ride feel and "no user serviceable parts inside". I would not own or buy.
     The '17 FJR is a nice bike, but to me was uninspiring. My wife wanted off of it pretty much right away, FWIW. It has more electronics on it than the C14, and they seemed to be integrated well. The solid motor did not have the smoothness or charisma of the C14, but did have a really nice transmission and solid chassis. The suspension was comfortable and capable, the rear end with no adjustments was better than the BMW on any of their settings. The bike sits lower than the C14, and the seat is narrower. I had little trouble moving this bike around while seated, I am 5'8. It postures the rider about like any Japanese sportbike from the 90's, reminding me a bit of a big CBR600F2. The controls had a decent feel, but the build finish on the bike I rode wasn't the equal of the Kawasaki or BMW. This bike was the least comfortable of the ones mentioned here. I would own the FJR, but would not buy one.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:23:16 pm »
I picked up my "next" bike in the fall of '15. A  650 VersysLT and love it for the handling and fun factor and the 200lbs less weight. Plenty of farlkes available. I installed a Rostra cruise on it, cleanly. The suspension handles two up wonderfully, though high speed acceleration will suffer somewhat, obviously.

It is a bit shorter so make sure that would work. The 1000 is about 6" longer. The fairing protects more than you would think.

You would give up balls to the acceleration but it still turns a quarter mile in about 12.5 seconds. You could by a slightly used one and have about 6-7 grand left over for farkling and putting in the gas tank.

Up to six years of warranty available.

Just another option to check out. I really like mine and do not foresee selling it and it compliments the KLR perfectly.

Happy hunting.   :beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:08 pm »
Lee Ving gave a great comparison of the various Sport Touring bikes.  I also looked at a new K1600 GT but decided to go with the C-14.  Money wasn't the over-riding issue I chose the C-14 but I do like to get value for my money.

I also have a 2016 ZX-14R SE (so I know where you're coming from) and while I really love it, if I could only have one sport or sport touring bike (God forbid!!!), it would definitely be the C-14.  I typically don't put much money into farkles but I like this one so much I made a lot of mods that I wanted but didn't actually need.  The very best mod was a new flash by Steve followed by a 2 Brothers CF can and 2" risers. Lots of other farkles though.  Of my current stable, it is basically my "go to" bike and if I totaled it, I would immediately buy another (as long as the new one is black)...
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2012 H-D Fat Bob
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:25:42 pm »
Lee Ving gave a great comparison of the various Sport Touring bikes.  I also looked at a new K1600 GT but decided to go with the C-14.  Money wasn't the over-riding issue I chose the C-14 but I do like to get value for my money.

I also have a 2016 ZX-14R SE (so I know where you're coming from) and while I really love it, if I could only have one sport or sport touring bike (God forbid!!!), it would definitely be the C-14.  I typically don't put much money into farkles but I like this one so much I made a lot of mods that I wanted but didn't actually need.  The very best mod was a new flash by Steve followed by a 2 Brothers CF can and 2" risers. Lots of other farkles though.  Of my current stable, it is basically my "go to" bike and if I totaled it, I would immediately buy another (as long as the new one is black)...

Agree! Also, regarding the color "black" part  :-)
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:31:15 pm »
All the above responses are on the money, and truly the Kawi doesn't have competition except the FJR FOR THE MONEY.

I too felt the same about the FJR that I test-rode before purchasing the C14 (numb and lacking a sporty personality) and as soon as I researched the 1600GT, I knew I wasn't going to want to afford that bike. Never even RODE one.
Looks great, and probably IS great, but too rich for my blood.  ::)

Any bike that I want now, is not a Sport Tourer.
I was really close to snagging a used new style VMAX last year, and for sure my next purchase is going to be a KTM 1290 SAS.
But those are way off the sport touring mark.

The best question asked here, is: If I wrecked my bike tomorrow, what would I replace it with??

I think most of us would say another c14....well farkled.  :beerchug:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 01:13:30 am »
I chose FJR cuz it just fit me better, easier for this old guy to get on and off, and I got the auto clutch model. If money was no object, the BMW 'bagger' model might interest me. Along the money lines, the beemer and the triumph both will be harder and more expensive to do upgrades (seat, risers,windscreen, suspension etc), as well used stuff will be rarer. C14 uses premium fuel, and valve adjust is a bit more money, of course this comes with more balls.
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Lurch71

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 01:28:29 am »
I purchased my 17 Connie in May and it has 4,400miles on it.  I dropped the pegs and put 2” risers on it.  I had MC Enterprises CC installed and replaced the seat with a Sergeant modular.  There has been no issues with the bike so far.

My buddy recently let me borrow his 2016 BMW r1200rt for a week.  I put about 600 miles on it with rides to Julian and Borrego Springs.  Rode it through the Ortega Hwy which has several twisties and tight turns.  This bike handles great and drops into corners with no effort.  It’s a great bike with a few more electronic luxuries; however, it comes at a cost.  OTD this bike is 7-10k more. 

I would say the Connie is a sports car and the BMW is a Cadillac.  The BMW is boring compared to the Connie.  I wouldn’t mind testing the BMW 1600 gt.  For now the Connie is my choice and is in my price range.  It allows me to have a second bike, a Versys 1000.

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:16:44 am »
I had a new 14 FJR for two years, and have had my 08 ABS Connie for almost two years. I'm 6'2" and the Connie fits me much better stock. I had bar risers and peg lowers on the FJR and still the stock Connie fits me better. And though I miss the cruise control, the C14 is a much more throaty, exciting, and visceral ride. Love it to death.

I don't know how you can beat the C14 for the bang for the buck. And let's face it, it's not even close as far as it looking the best. Even when I had the FJR, I was always turning my head to look at the C14's.

We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 20,000 and counting

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 11:36:16 am »
Thank you so much for all the detailed replies guys! I appreciate your time and input!

This is pretty much what I was looking for as far as experiences and advice, and will definitely help me out!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 miles & counting!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:58 pm »
I don't have experience with the others so I can't help there. No one has mentioned the C14 has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty & can be renewed twice. Not that you'll need it. Having one of the higher mileage bikes I can say these bikes are bullet proof.

I stopped in a dealer in Little Rock last week. They had 4 2016's on the floor marked at $11,600. Having 4 of them I would imagine there ready to deal.

Good luck!

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
Lots of options for $13K.  A new but leftover C14, possibly even a 2017 model might be had for that.  Not sure sure about the FJR, it seems Yamaha prefers to keep the prices close to MSRP and the dealers never seem to deal on them.  If you are in any way $$$ constrained, forget the BMWs.  Cost of ownership is insane on those!

Agree with everything here. The other day I went with a buddy (he is shorter and chubby) to check out some bikes to a stealership. I tried to convince him of trying the connie, but he found the height of it a bit too intimidating. So he was looking for an FJR (fit him like a glove). Long story short, I saw a brand new Yamaha VMAX 2014 (2014!!!) on the floor. The bike had been sitting there for 4 years! I'm a VMAX fanatic, so I looked at the price tag....you ready for this?... 21K CAD dollars... which is extremely close to what a brand new 2018 costs!! I asked why not lower it and sell it? They said no. I said: F... it then! :)
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »
The rumors keep flying about the Vmax being discontinued....hell it might BE by now, I don't keep up.
But i know the allocation for these to the dealerships is limited as well - hence, the inflated price on the floor.

I'm still interested in one though.....even though its SUCH a purpose-built bike.  Almost like a damn Harley.  ::)
....I'm just infatuated with v-4 motors!....

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:45 pm »
The rumors keep flying about the Vmax being discontinued....hell it might BE by now, I don't keep up.
But i know the allocation for these to the dealerships is limited as well - hence, the inflated price on the floor.

I'm still interested in one though.....even though its SUCH a purpose-built bike.  Almost like a damn Harley.  ::)
....I'm just infatuated with v-4 motors!....

gr

Same here! I had 2 of the older generation (a 2003 and a 2006, flames on the tank, gorgeous!). they are very VERY reliable machines. I took the 2003 from Toronto to Miami and back on a solo trip. The bike performed FLAWLESSLY. Only down side to it, an important one, is the gas tank range. On a 600 mile day, you have to stop for gas at least 6 times!!!

However, I'd love to get my hands on a "new"one...  :motonoises:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 04:00:44 pm »
Thank you so much for all the detailed replies guys! I appreciate your time and input!

This is pretty much what I was looking for as far as experiences and advice, and will definitely help me out!

Back on topic.

I haven't ridden any of the other bikes you were thinking of.

I have a Busa and so in the neighborhood of your previous ZX14.
The Connie is not going to be the same thrill of the sport bikes - but it does alright considering how heavy it is and
will do triple digits without a problem just not as quickly as the other bikes mentioned.

I also have had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands and the first things I did after getting my Connie was to install
risers and wedges and a McCruise cruise control unit.  Many guys install a Rostra but I'll take my McCruise any day of the week.

So my point is most people are going to Farkle any motorcycle they get as none are a one size fits all.
Your going to set it up the way you like to ride and do what ever it takes to make it comfortable for you.

Good luck with what ever you get and please let us know even if it's not a Connie.

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
I don't have experience with the others so I can't help there. No one has mentioned the C14 has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty & can be renewed twice. Not that you'll need it. Having one of the higher mileage bikes I can say these bikes are bullet proof.

I stopped in a dealer in Little Rock last week. They had 4 2016's on the floor marked at $11,600. Having 4 of them I would imagine there ready to deal.

Good luck!

Cliff   :beerchug:

Thanks! They sure seem to be bulletproof from what I have been reading. You can't put a price on reliability!

I'm still blown away that these bikes come with a 3 year warranty, and that you can extend it out to 9 years! That is unheard of...

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 05:06:14 pm »
I had a new 14 FJR for two years, and have had my 08 ABS Connie for almost two years. I'm 6'2" and the Connie fits me much better stock. I had bar risers and peg lowers on the FJR and still the stock Connie fits me better. And though I miss the cruise control, the C14 is a much more throaty, exciting, and visceral ride. Love it to death.

I don't know how you can beat the C14 for the bang for the buck. And let's face it, it's not even close as far as it looking the best. Even when I had the FJR, I was always turning my head to look at the C14's.

My Dad has a first generation FJR that I have ridden. I wasn't that impressed with the bike to be honest. I thought it was vibey, needed a 6th gear (mostly because of the vibes right at cruising speed) and didn't have a lot of personality.  I know that they have been updated twice since, so wasn't sure how much the bike had improved...

I do like Yamaha's and had a first gen FZ1, which I loved and wish I had never sold. 

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 05:28:00 pm »
    I was in a similar situation, and have ridden a few of the bikes you mention. I obviously (of course) went with a 2015 C14. I found mine new for a great deal, so price was a big part of it. The aftermarket is strong, too, which is another plus. Ivan having a flash available for it was a factor. In my grizzled old age have been genuinely impressed by the motorcycle so far, and yet much can be done to it that puts it in better form. IMO the C14 motor with the flash and slip on is the best of the ST bikes I have ridden with the best torque delivery and midrange. If I had to complain about it, I wish it had the newer 14r gen engine, more chassis rigidity, and a less floppy windshield. It is tall and heavy, and somewhat of a bitch to work on with all the bodywork. Compared to the other bikes I have ridden it has the best controlled but least plush suspension. The C14 rides loaded better than the others. Legroom is better than the FJR, as is the seat. There is more slop in the drivetrain of the C14 than the new BMW, but the shaft system on the Kawasaki controls the rear end unlike anything else I've sampled on a big bike. If you ride fast, this puts the C14 in a class by itself. Would own and would buy.

I rode the '17 K1600 GT and GTL and was very impressed by the motor and drivetrain. The motor, finish, transmission and shaft drive are just exquisite on the newest K bikes, among the best I've ridden. However, I thought that the package is just not integrated as a whole, and flat overwhelmed by electronics. If BMW could think of it, it's on the bike. The throttle is totally by wire, and the computer has a mind of its own with respect to what you get with throttle input. The power the 6 has is formidable, but its delivery is biased toward high revs. The meat of the power resides where you have to either wait or shift when you mean business. The suspension on the bikes both became overwhelmed in corners for 180# me and 100# wife, no luggage. I found the (dynamic) suspension settings to be plush and comfortable, but not capable of controlling the chassis in corners or at speed on any setting. The GT was a little better than the GTL in this respect. I never felt like I was 100% in control of the K bikes. They are tall and heavy like the C14, and will be more comfortable for longer rides than the C14 or FJR. The newer K bikes feel quite different than the previous gen models, particularly with better drivetrain and transmission, but IMO the newer bikes double down on the disconnected ride feel and "no user serviceable parts inside". I would not own or buy.
     The '17 FJR is a nice bike, but to me was uninspiring. My wife wanted off of it pretty much right away, FWIW. It has more electronics on it than the C14, and they seemed to be integrated well. The solid motor did not have the smoothness or charisma of the C14, but did have a really nice transmission and solid chassis. The suspension was comfortable and capable, the rear end with no adjustments was better than the BMW on any of their settings. The bike sits lower than the C14, and the seat is narrower. I had little trouble moving this bike around while seated, I am 5'8. It postures the rider about like any Japanese sportbike from the 90's, reminding me a bit of a big CBR600F2. The controls had a decent feel, but the build finish on the bike I rode wasn't the equal of the Kawasaki or BMW. This bike was the least comfortable of the ones mentioned here. I would own the FJR, but would not buy one.

Thanks for that excellent comparison. This is the next best thing to riding the bikes for myself and I appreciate it!   :great:

I live in Pennsylvania and when I did a search for new and leftover bikes for sale within a few hours of me, I was pretty shocked at all the new Concours sitting on dealer's floors at a pretty significant discount... Quite a few FJRs also... I shouldn't have a problem staying within or possibly under my budget which is great. I guess the flip side to that is to question why people aren't buying as many sport tour bikes these days?

My local dealer has a brand new leftover blue 2013 Connie on the floor. He didn't seem to want to move much on the price, which is probably why he still has it.  It's now 5 model years old!   :-[

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 05:41:53 pm »

Back on topic.

I haven't ridden any of the other bikes you were thinking of.

I have a Busa and so in the neighborhood of your previous ZX14.
The Connie is not going to be the same thrill of the sport bikes - but it does alright considering how heavy it is and
will do triple digits without a problem just not as quickly as the other bikes mentioned.

I also have had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands and the first things I did after getting my Connie was to install
risers and wedges and a McCruise cruise control unit.  Many guys install a Rostra but I'll take my McCruise any day of the week.

So my point is most people are going to Farkle any motorcycle they get as none are a one size fits all.
Your going to set it up the way you like to ride and do what ever it takes to make it comfortable for you.

Good luck with what ever you get and please let us know even if it's not a Connie.

Thank you! I actually had a Throttlemeister on my ZX-14 and kept it when I sold the bike since I anticipated using it on my next bike. It did help when I had to do interstate riding, but wasn't the easiest thing to use IMHO...

I know the Connie or any of the sport tour bikes wont have the same crazy power of the ZX or Busa (not many bikes do), and I'm okay with that. I'd give up some pony's for some added comfort, wind protection and better comfort for a passenger. Plus if I get a Concours I know they can be reflashed and modded fairly easily for even more power and a better performing powerband.  I'm not so sure that the other bikes are as easy to flash (If anyone is even doing the ECU flashes for them) or modify.  I have been reading up on Steve's flash quite a bit too...   ;) 

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 05:53:08 pm »
Having a sport bike background over the years, I wasn't totally impressed with my new 2015 C-14 in stock form.  I liked it but didn't love it.  It didn't get interesting until way north of 5K rpm.  Once i got my first flash from Steve, my impression really changed and now I love the bike.  His flash is absolutely the best mod I have ever done to any of my bikes and the cost is very reasonable for what you get.
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2012 H-D Fat Bob

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 06:02:20 pm »
Having a sport bike background over the years, I wasn't totally impressed with my new 2015 C-14 in stock form.  I liked it but didn't love it.  It didn't get interesting until way north of 5K rpm.  Once i got my first flash from Steve, my impression really changed and now I love the bike.  His flash is absolutely the best mod I have ever done to any of my bikes and the cost is very reasonable for what you get.

That's great! Which of Steve's flashes did you go with?

I'm guessing the Concours has the same issue with a delayed opening of the secondary set of butterflies within the Throttle Bodies as my ZX-14 did?

I don't think they opened (in stock form) until you were over about 5.5K RPM in the first 4 gears on my ZX. It was a criticism I had of my old bike as well. Luckily for us, that can be fixed these days and I know how huge of an improvement some tuning can make in a bike. If I buy a Connie, a new ECU flash will be a must have for me!

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 07:18:38 pm »
I had the Decel and the Evolution flashes.  I now have an early version of a follow-on flash from Steve and will be sending him my ECU for the Mountain flash when I can clear out the deep snow enough to get into my shed.  FYI - The HIGH today was minus 1  degree Fahrenheit...

The latest versions of his flash seem to come alive around 2.4-2.5K RPM and then have a strong linear pull all the way up from there.  It's really nice that it just doesn't come on extra-strong in the middle of a curve like some of the sport turbo bikes used to do back in the day.
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2012 H-D Fat Bob

Offline Ronald

• Shadow44
  • Big Wheels
    • Shadow44
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 01:24:47 am »
I'm new to the forum.  I've been researching information on the Concours forum since before July 2017 when I bought a low mile 2013.  (Thanks for all the info folks).  I got back into street bikes in 07 with an 05 Suzuki SV650S.  Then went to an 01 Suzuki Bandit 1200S.  I then added an 08 Suzuki B-King that I extensively modified over several years.  I've been a Suzuki guy for the most part over the years.  The B-King just begged to be spanked hard. Triple digit speeds came very quickly.  The power was intoxicating!  Had the B-King for 5-years and wound up selling it before it got me put in jail.  I replaced it with the Concours 14 and absolutely love it.  I've always liked camping off the bikes and also enjoy riding 2-up with my wife.  The Concours suits us perfectly whether ridden solo or tandem.  I love the way the Connie loves to just cruise but still has all the handling and zoot of a sport bike.  I recently upgraded to Steve's Mountain Runner flash.  I'll be anxiously awaiting better weather to ride again since I live in the upper mid-west.  I've never ridden a BMW or an FJR but I'll note the FJR was a contender in my decision.  Based on the experienced input on this topic I'm very happy I selected the Concours 14.  I don't think you'll have any regrets.
Shadow44