Author Topic: What would you buy for the money?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What would you buy for the money?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 02:22:35 pm »
I don't have experience with all the bikes on your list, but I can offer this. BMW makes a very nice product. I have a k1200lt. You almost need a degree in rocket science to work on it. They are relatively inexpensive on the secondary market because everyone knows they're expensive to own and maintain, and that drives the prices down, making then look more attractive than owning one actually is. BMW can turn the smallest repair into a feat of mechanical genius. trust me on this.

As far as the FJR, they are very nice bikes. They do feel somewhat smaller from an ergo's approach, and they run and handle very well. They do not run or handle better than a c-14. Having cruise is a big attraction. I have spent some time on a friend's '14 model, and it is a very nice bike. I can't forget though, last year when we rode together and we swapped bikes he took off on a 4th gear roll on and when I caught up (on his FJR) my friend who never swears exclaimed "holy sh*T I hit 145" so if performance is your game, the only answer is the c-14. :motonoises:  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »
Just yesterday I bought a brand new 2017 C14 for $13,499, so I'd call that the best bang for the buck.
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Previous bikes: Triumph Trophy SE 1200, Yamaha V Star 1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha Venture 1200, Yamaha Seca 750, Yamaha Eleven Special, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, Honda VTX 1300, Honda GL1000 Goldwing, Honda CB750Four, Honda GL500 Silverwing

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 08:04:38 pm »
Knees being an issue. I personally would steer away from every bike on the list. I am there myself. Go for something comfortable or you may wind up not enjoying the ride, which tends to result in a lot less riding. I hate to say the cruiser word, but they are much easier on the joints. But if not too bad, I agree with Steve on the Versys.

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:18 pm »
I thought about that. I had a Kawi Vulcan 1500, a number of years ago, and kept it for less than a year. Not a bad bike for what it was, but not at all for me... Yet anyway!

I hear you though... I would be looking into highway pegs on a Connie or other for sure, just so I could stretch out a bit when I needed to.

I sat on a Versys 650 (the dealer didn't have the 1000) and was definately impressed with the leg room.

It is an option I suppose, but I know I would be giving up a lot of wind protection, and hate to deal with a chain drive again...

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 08:43:18 pm »
I don't have experience with all the bikes on your list, but I can offer this. BMW makes a very nice product. I have a k1200lt. You almost need a degree in rocket science to work on it. They are relatively inexpensive on the secondary market because everyone knows they're expensive to own and maintain, and that drives the prices down, making then look more attractive than owning one actually is. BMW can turn the smallest repair into a feat of mechanical genius. trust me on this.

As far as the FJR, they are very nice bikes. They do feel somewhat smaller from an ergo's approach, and they run and handle very well. They do not run or handle better than a c-14. Having cruise is a big attraction. I have spent some time on a friend's '14 model, and it is a very nice bike. I can't forget though, last year when we rode together and we swapped bikes he took off on a 4th gear roll on and when I caught up (on his FJR) my friend who never swears exclaimed "holy sh*T I hit 145" so if performance is your game, the only answer is the c-14. :motonoises:  Steve

Thank you Steve... I actually looked at the LT, as there is a very low mile '06 I came across. Beautiful bike... Huge, but comfy... I did some research and like you said, discovered that they are time consuming to work on. I could probably do most maintenance work, but the thought of replacing parts on a bike they stopped making in '09... If only it had a little more power, it might be worth a shot...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:52:04 pm by Clip67 »

Online FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 09:45:41 pm »
Have you looked at a KTM Super Adventure? I sat on one and liked the ergos, it is just more money than I want to spend!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:20:33 pm by FTB530 »

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 01:17:07 pm »
I noticed this brand new 2014 concours 14 at  a local dealer.

https://www.newgatemotorsports.com/inventory/2014-kawasaki-zg14-ogden-ut-84405-1640234i

This place is known to have reasonable fees, as well. Its not a dealer that tries to charge 2000.00 shipping fees, or such.

9999.00 is tempting...why not have a spare c14, at that price?
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 11:41:59 pm »
That's a great deal for sure! I would love to find something like that within driving distance!

I'm definitely wary of all the add on fees that some dealers like to slap on too...

I'm going deal hunting within the next couple of weeks for a new Concours, so we'll see what I can find!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:52 am »
The way I see it life is too short to contemplate which brand of bottled water is better, vicariously.
I would encourage you to go out and find out for yourself what is best suited for you. There is a chance that you, after reading many subjective assessments, may find chosen motorbike  to be disappointing. 

I, for one, didn't choose C14 based upon reading reviews - although I've read a few - or asking about it. I based my choice on a visceral, emotional response I got after test riding bikes I had on my "to do" list.

For me motorbikes are an evolutionary process. With C14, I've gotten very close to finding that elusive "perfect" bike.
When I do, I'll stop searching.

Until then, I'll be like Fleetwood Mac's, "Don't Stop."

Offline Roger B

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:23 pm »
I have a 2013 ZX14r and 2010 C14.   I have made my prior sportbikes into sport tourers as much as I could.   Never as comfortable as a bike designed for sport touring.   Before buying the C14 I also considered the FJR1300.   I chose the C14 because it fit my 6' 0" frame much better than the FJR and I also liked the C14 engine and drivetrain better than the FJR.   I had already owned ZX14s and knew the engine and transmission was very sound.   I would give the FJR a little bit for fit and finish but most of the other points I would give to the C14, for what is important to me.   I have no regrets on purchasing the C14.   I have already done the valve adjustment and put on the farkles needed so I just have to ride it now.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 01:37:16 pm »
I would buy the 2015 C14 I have now, again and again.

For the money I paid for a new ride, it's a no brainer vs all the other options.

Offline Roger Dodger

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 6017
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 04:33:42 pm »
The ST market is so flat... they are all a good deal for the money!

With NEW bikes sitting in showrooms for $10k or so... they are practically competing with USED offerings.

I bought a used FJR (twice) because I got a ton of bang for my bucks. Now you choose how much to spend and go shopping...

C14 has more zip, more expensive gas, and a (slightly) smaller range.

FJR has smaller feel, lower maintenance costs (and gas), larger range.

BMW RT/LT is more comfy, more maintenance(!) and more s*** to break.

BMW 1600 is SMOOTHER, more complicated, more breakdowns than ever.

I ride what I like (smaller, reliable, FJR) but they all are a GREAT BUY!    ;)

Offline Roger B

• Bicycle
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »
What can you get a new FJR for?   I see the prices of new C14s, Honda East in Maumee, OH near me has a 2017 blue for $12k but I have no idea what you can get a leftover FJR for...just curious...not looking for one, happy with my C14.

Offline Lurch71

• Training Wheels
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:56 am »
The ST market is so flat... they are all a good deal for the money!

With NEW bikes sitting in showrooms for $10k or so... they are practically competing with USED offerings.

I bought a used FJR (twice) because I got a ton of bang for my bucks. Now you choose how much to spend and go shopping...

C14 has more zip, more expensive gas, and a (slightly) smaller range.

FJR has smaller feel, lower maintenance costs (and gas), larger range.

BMW RT/LT is more comfy, more maintenance(!) and more s*** to break.

BMW 1600 is SMOOTHER, more complicated, more breakdowns than ever.

I ride what I like (smaller, reliable, FJR) but they all are a GREAT BUY!    ;)

When you’re only putting 6 gallons of gas in a tank paying another 20-30 cents for a gallon of premium costs you less than $2 more a tank.  If someone is that tight, they shouldn’t have motorcycling as a hobby.   :)) >:(

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 03:17:29 am »
Thanks again for all of the replies everyone!

I am finding quite a few 2017 new leftover bikes in the $12-13K range. 2016s for a little less...

FJR A models of the same year are going for about $1-3K more in my area incidentally.

Yes, the price difference in gas is fine with me. I have a place close by that sells non-ethanol 91 octane for about .40 a gallon more than the ethanol stuff. Worth it in my book, and that's most likely what I will run when I can fill up in my area. I run Sunoco race gas in my dirt bike (two stroke), so I'm used to paying a little more already...

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 09:35:03 pm »
I'm new to the forum.  I've been researching information on the Concours forum since before July 2017 when I bought a low mile 2013.  (Thanks for all the info folks).  I got back into street bikes in 07 with an 05 Suzuki SV650S.

INteresting. I am looking for a 2nd bike for the wife. She is growing a little tired of the weight and handling of the BMW R1100RT. I saw an 05 650S with 9K miles and adult owner. She is a pretty accomplished rider and has been on Harleys and BMWs. Any input on the 650 and the S vs the Gladius?

Offline RightD

• Tricycle
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 04:34:54 am »
Former C14 (now K1600GT) owner here... Adding a couple of thoughts to some of the good feedback in this thread.

In the Sport-Touring spectrum, the K1600GT is more to the touring side than the C14 (with the GTL further still). That said, set the ride mode and suspension and the K will really dance. It is powerful, comfortable and (for me, at least) very reliable.

They made significant changes in 2015 (dash, transmission, etc.) so I would consider a used one of those if I was looking now.

As far as the BMW ownership experience goes, one factor to consider is the dealer. I am fortunate that I have a dealer within a reasonable distance that does good work for reasonable $$ (Mortons, in Fredericksburg, VA). That is not always the case.

For me, I chose to trade some of the sportiness of the C14 for rider comfort, passenger comfort and tech/safety features (cruise, e-suspension, etc.). Plus I had always wanted to try the K, and found a left over one for reasonable-ish $$.

Both are great bikes.

Good luck!
- RightD
2015 BMW K1600 GT
2016 Moto Guzzi Audace
2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE

Offline Lurch71

• Training Wheels
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 05:02:27 am »
Knees being an issue. I personally would steer away from every bike on the list. I am there myself. Go for something comfortable or you may wind up not enjoying the ride, which tends to result in a lot less riding. I hate to say the cruiser word, but they are much easier on the joints. But if not too bad, I agree with Steve on the Versys.

I just went with a cruiser and bought a 2018 Indian Springfield Dark Horse.  The ergos fit me a lot better at 6’8”.

Offline P07r0457

• Training Wheels
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 01:18:49 pm »
I love my C14 and I don't want to replace it, anytime soon.  However, if I had to get a new ST bike, then I'd probably choose between the BMW K1600 or the new Honda Goldwing.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 02:52:40 pm »
Former C14 (now K1600GT) owner here... Adding a couple of thoughts to some of the good feedback in this thread.

In the Sport-Touring spectrum, the K1600GT is more to the touring side than the C14 (with the GTL further still). That said, set the ride mode and suspension and the K will really dance. It is powerful, comfortable and (for me, at least) very reliable.

They made significant changes in 2015 (dash, transmission, etc.) so I would consider a used one of those if I was looking now.

As far as the BMW ownership experience goes, one factor to consider is the dealer. I am fortunate that I have a dealer within a reasonable distance that does good work for reasonable $$ (Mortons, in Fredericksburg, VA). That is not always the case.

For me, I chose to trade some of the sportiness of the C14 for rider comfort, passenger comfort and tech/safety features (cruise, e-suspension, etc.). Plus I had always wanted to try the K, and found a left over one for reasonable-ish $$.

Both are great bikes.

Good luck!
- RightD
Do you feel the connie to be sportier than the K1600GT?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:24 am »
Just yesterday I bought a brand new 2017 C14 for $13,499, so I'd call that the best bang for the buck.

That's cool. I gave $13,300 out the door for my 2011.

2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 02:32:35 am »
Finding the comments about the newer model FJR interesting.
I have a good friend who's owned 3, (older ones.)
I once asked him when we were riding together on a trip how he liked it, and was kinda surprised.
We had both come from years of owning/riding Yamaha XS11's.
His response was, "Meh, it's ok. Don't get me wrong, it's quick, handles ok, I think it, it executes. But it doesn't have the SOUL of an XS11."

I was shocked.

Then, after all the revamping Yamaha has done to the FJR1300 (especially the ES), I figured the responses would be better. Think about all the changes...
Inverted forks, 6th gear, updated guage cluster, electric windscreen, heated grips, cruise control, ES has electronically adjustable suspension on the fly, wire throttle, adjustable seat...

and still, the comments are the same. Wow...

They cost more, and don't have the warranty the C14 has.
Fuel economy's not quite as good. All reasons I went C14.

I just completed my last warranty reup. I love my C14, but have started thinking about what I might replace it with one day. Since Kawi released their new tourer replacement, and I doubt seriously I'll ever go that way (not to mention the double price...)

Like Steve earlier said, BMW's are nice, but tough to work on. I agree, and have worked on my friends bmw's many times. They're pretty complicated, especially brakes and electronics...

Until this conversational thread, I figured it would be an FJR1300ES. Or, a BMW either RT or GS.

Now, I figure I'll do like Cliff... keep riding it from now on...
200,000 miles.

Why not? I love it. It works. It's customized for me. It does everything I want it to do...and more.
Ride when ya can, guys!
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Road Runner

• Mini Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »

That's cool. I gave $13,300 out the door for my 2011.

Better yet, I paid $10,200 in '15 for a new 2013 they still had on the showroom floor. It's been an awesome bike!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"