Author Topic: What year?  (Read 534 times)

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
What year?
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »
I don't currently have a Concours, but have been looking around for one.  Since you guys have tons of experience and you know the good and bad, what model years are smart to buy?  Example, I read that in 2010 there was a faring redesign to eliminate the heat issue that drew lots of complaints.  I would guess there are similar types of improvements in other model years.  I'd don't want to spend much, no more than current 2010-2013's are going for (approx).  Thanks for taking the time to write your opinion.

In the late 90's and early 2000's I rode quite a bit.  I had a BMW R1100R, a Ducati ST2, and a totally customized Yamaha FZ1.  So when I turned 60 this past year, I decided it was a good time to jump back in.  I bought a 2000 ZRX1100 and basically re-did the bike.  Paint, full exhaust, front & rear suspension, carbs, Corbin seat, different handle bars, etc etc. and a long list pf things.  I honestly love the ZRX.  It handles well and that motor is awesome.  I ride a lot in SW VA and that is motorcycle nirvana.  BUT .... at the young ripe age of 60, I am not such of fan of the naked bike and wind blast, and thus, I am looking at Concours.  So if you guys could shed some light on the ins and outs with the various model years, that would be great.  From what I have read about the engine heat issue on the legs, I'd rather avoid that.  Thanks much!  ---- AND I'd want ABS.

Matt
Richmond, VA
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: What year?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:01:48 pm »
It's hard to say as so much depends on what you're looking for and how much money you have to spend.  I'll give you my take.  I currently own a 2012 but had a 2008 for a couple of years.  Both are great bikes, no complaints.  I did not ever feel like the 08 was "hot" and I can't say that the 12 is significantly different heat-wise than the 08.  Some swear otherwise but this is my take on it.  The biggest reason I updated to the 12 model was that I wanted one with ABS and TC and my 08 was the non-ABS version.  Starting in 2015 there are some relatively minor changes to the brake linking, the 1st gear ratio, and the windshield.

All that said here is what I'd suggest:

1) If you are looking to get a great bike for very little money, look at the 08 and 09 models. I've seen these in the $3K-$4K range recently and that is a lot of bike for the money.  There are ABS models in 08 and 09 but no TC.  The ABS models often command a slightly higher price.

2) The 2010 is a "transition" model in that there were two versions, ABS and non-ABS.  This starts the "Gen2" model and the plastics are different looking.

3) From 2011 on all the C14's have ABS and TC. There are some bargains to be had in these years so shop around.  It also not uncommon for dealers to have left-over models.  So if you are interested in a new one, you might find a bargain.  But many of these dealers have these left-overs for a reason and you should NEVER pay full price for a left over bike.  (Just my opinion, your mileage and other opinions may vary.)

A well maintained C14 will last for 100K+ miles.  Things like service records are useful but you can also tell a lot by the condition of the bike.  Mechanical problems are relatively rare and usually minor.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »
Welcome!

2011 and up ALL have ABS and traction control, black wheels, single color seat, new fairings. 2015's have slightly revised gearing, better linked brakes, low friction head bearing and windshield vent. No truly significant changes between 2008-2017s really. The biggest difference IMO is whether it does or does not have ABS and that choice was taken away in 2011. Basically the engine and suspension has remained essentially unchanged throughout all years on the C14. Though the GEN1s have a heat issue, that has been a asset here in the NE in the colder months of the year, but I can see it as a bigger problem down by you...I also may be a bit biased, as I actually like the looks of the 2008/09s better than following years, and it's pretty well known that the Candy Diamond Red is the fastest of em all..... ;D
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:27:21 pm »
Thanks for replying.  On warmer days, say 60-90, would you say your '09 has an engine heat issue?  Also, I have never seen this discussed, but one benefit I saw with my FZ1 was when I did a full exhaust upgrade, it seemed to reduce engine heat.  I guess it was breathing better and more heat went out the back?  Maybe an airbox mod would help also?  Have you ever seen this discussed as a way to reduce engine heat?
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:37:33 pm »
Thanks to both of you for replying! 
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »
Thanks for replying.  On warmer days, say 60-90, would you say your '09 has an engine heat issue?  Also, I have never seen this discussed, but one benefit I saw with my FZ1 was when I did a full exhaust upgrade, it seemed to reduce engine heat.  I guess it was breathing better and more heat went out the back?  Maybe an airbox mod would help also?  Have you ever seen this discussed as a way to reduce engine heat?

I have an 08 silver ABS. I don't especially notice the engine heat until its stop and go traffic on a hot day. Even then it's nothing that isn't tolerable. It'd probably be best to split the difference and maybe look for an ABS/TC '10 or an 11-13. I would recommend the 08/09 to the people further north or that live/ride in higher elevations. That's just as a precaution. I've never been hot on my bike that I wouldn't have been hot on any other bike, but I don't get hot very easy, either.

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:46:31 pm »
Here's another question ... how do you feel about the stock suspension?  And have you ridden a Connie with upgraded suspension?  Is that an upgrade that anyone ever does?
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:17:43 pm »
Lots of questions .... sorry.  If a 2010 has ABS, does it also have traction control?
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
Lots of questions .... sorry.  If a 2010 has ABS, does it also have traction control?

08/09 with ABS are ABS only.

2010 with ABS includes TC.

2011+ all have ABS & TC.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:55:19 pm »
Here's another question ... how do you feel about the stock suspension?  And have you ridden a Connie with upgraded suspension?  Is that an upgrade that anyone ever does?

Good for what it is, and the purpose of the bike. However, upgrades are immediately noticeable, I've read.

Also a full exhaust wouldn't help much with the heat like it did for the FZ1. FZ1's have a cat in the mid-pipe and muffler. Concours 14 is just the muffler, I think, and that can be replaced with any old carbon fiber slip on. Plus the exhaust being under a bag at the rear of a long bike doesn't really factor into the heat, as much. A full exhaust and Steve's flash sets it right off into 160hp at the wheel, though...

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:00:26 pm »
Penske and Traxxion seems to be a good up grade suspension!

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:10 am »
The C14 is like every other mass produced bike. It's designed for the "Average" rider within the Sport/Tourer demographic. They all come with "Cat's". Regardless of what year you settle on the best money you can spend on upgrades IMHO are first get the ECU flash. I have had both the Guhl flash and Steve's Decel and his Evolution. I'm staying with Steve's work and his business ethics. Both top notch. The other upgrade is the suspension. I went with Ohlins but others are equally as effective.
  I'm currently making some changes to my 09 including a new flash from Steve. It's the Full Area P with some additional work. Steve has asked me to Beta Test this uniquely one of a kind version and I'll write my impression as soon as I get the bike put back together and go ride the foothill twisties.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline MATTGARR57

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:26:56 pm »
DeepSea, that sounds like a hell of a bike you have.
MattGarr57
Richmond, VA

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:34 pm »
It has become my personal favorite. I've now changed it enough to be uniquely mine. Some changes are obvious and some subtle. They are all intended for three purposes. Make it handle better, go quicker/faster and be more comfortable while doing the first two. I think I'm there.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 12:09:33 am »

I have an 08 ABS and living in TN heat is an issue for me. Depends on what your use to I guess. In general when the ambient temp goes over 75 it starts bothering me.  I'd say if the linked brakes of a gen 2 doesn't bother you, go with a gen 2. Unless you love to tinker and want to try to fix the heat on a gen 1 to your satisfaction. I believe I've read on some threads that going to a cat-less exhaust and wrapping the mid-pipe helps. The problem is two-fold; heat coming through the fairing where it touches your legs and hot air blowing out the sides onto the shins. The side outlets are just too close to the rider's legs. The fairing re-design of the gen 2 moved them forward. I haven't ridden a gen 2 so I'm not sure how much different it is. There's lots of threads discussing remedies if your inclined, but if you mostly want to ride start with a gen 2.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 01:53:52 am »
It's all a matter of perspective. Since March I have been praying for days that Only reached 75. The average day temp where I ride runs more in the 100's +. Yes my 09 feels hot, less after I removed the cats and wrapped the pipes. I have ridden with and without the foam heat inserts. Weather very seldom if ever stops me from riding. I keep the 09 because it has neither AB or TC. I ride at my own peril not the computers.

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 03:10:44 am »
I have a '12 I bought new. Personally, I like the body work better than on the pre 2010...it looks more aggressive. After having TC and ABS, I wouldn't be without it. Valve adj and spark plug changes are a pain.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125