Author Topic: Where to go from here?  (Read 7322 times)

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Where to go from here?
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »
All,

As you know I have been concerned about the vibration or buzz I feel in my '11 Connie.  I have put 400 miles on it since the 4,000 mile service.  After the service I was advised to ride it some and see if it smooths out or something breaks.  The dealer said the vibrations he observed and felt above 3,700 RPMs did not seem right.  He filed a complaint with Kawasaki (Log #697135).  The buzz is still there and it is getting to be uncomfortable for me to ride.

I called Kawasaki myself this evening to discuss this because the dealer will not do any research under warranty.  Customer service said that the dealer must claim that the vibration is abnormal. I ask how do I get Kawasaki to do research in the complaint database to see how many others have complained about this vibration.  Tim (customer service) said Kawasaki "wouldn't care to do that kind of research for the customer".  I was kind of shocked.  He then said that their quality assurance department does research if necessary.  I asked how do I get them to do the research and he said they would only do it for a technical bulletin.  (How does one trigger research?)

So, where do I go from here? Trade for a 2012 and hope it was just an issue with my bike?  Trade for a different model or make of motorcycle? Do I just sell and get out of riding all together?

What are my options?

Thanks for the help and directions.

Fred
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:41 pm »
I think you listed your options already! I personally would think twice before doing any of the options. You buy a new C14 and it could have the same problem. You buy another brand bike,, and you may or may not like it as much. And getting out of riding all together is a drastic solution. And it's something that I would say you have to decide for yourself.  I know, not the answers that you want to hear. But unfortunately I feel that you need to make these decision based on your own thoughts.

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:37 pm »
So what about mechanical options?
Here is a list of what I have heard or read but where do I get the work done?

Risers? (Had them, no help and didn't like the feel)
Wedges? (Had them, no help made things way worse)
Thick rubber under handlebars?
Remap ECU?
Resync Throttlebody?
New exhaust (not sure how this applies)?
Adjust internal dynamic balancer?
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline daddykevin

• Mini Bike
    • Smarter Investing
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9739
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:39:44 pm »
Squeeze the tank with your knees.   :)

Sorry, serious subject.   :beerchug:
DaddyKevin
aka Kevin Nichols
Financial Planner/Hedge Fund Manager
Daily Commuter/Motorcycling Savant

Offline Loren

• Industry Member
  • Mini Bike
    • Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9775
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:45:00 pm »
Try the Heli ST Bars.  They solved a very bad hands going numb problem for me.  They helped fit the bike to me, versus me fitting to the bike. 

Way cheaper than a 2012 bike with the same ergonomics as a 2011 bike.

Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:15:56 am »
Well Fred ! it's a motorcycle, Expect vibration. Your sitting on one of the most powerful machines known to man. OH ! Wait till you feel the wind also . Then theres bugs. OH wait ! road gaters also . The reason why the dealer wont do anything is because He knows that's normal for that bike. He just wants you to settle down and enjoy the bike for what it is. Sounds to me like you should go get a goldwing.
Or , Try  Grip puppies. Heavy counter weights on the handlebars. Stop putting so much arm weight on the handlebars by installing adiquate risers. Your engines ok or the dealer would of noticed it. My C14 buzzes. Im ok with it. OR , you could go purchase a way over priced BMW ! Just settle down and learn to enjoy your motorcycle. Take from a guy who knows. there;s always something with any motorcycle. I promise you that. Now LETS RIDE !  :)
No matter where I go, There I am !

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:03 am »
If you will give me all your contact info, and the dealership location where you took your bike, I can contact Kawasaki Corporate on your behalf. I can't guarantee it will do any good, but I'm willing to try.

Some bikes are more prone to vibrations than others, and it's hard to say if yours is normal or not without riding it and comparing it to another one. Most of the time the thing that fixes bikes that have vibrations is to loosen and retorque all the engine mounts, including the rear one. Sometimes a throttle body sync will also help.

But my first guess would be that you have an improperly adjusted engine mount bolt somewhere, and that is probably where I would start it if were my bike.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:28:51 am by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:41:31 am »
Well Fred ! it's a motorcycle, Expect vibration. Your sitting on one of the most powerful machines known to man. OH ! Wait till you feel the wind also . Then theres bugs. OH wait ! road gaters also . The reason why the dealer wont do anything is because He knows that's normal for that bike. He just wants you to settle down and enjoy the bike for what it is. Sounds to me like you should go get a goldwing.
Or , Try  Grip puppies. Heavy counter weights on the handlebars. Stop putting so much arm weight on the handlebars by installing adiquate risers. Your engines ok or the dealer would of noticed it. My C14 buzzes. Im ok with it. OR , you could go purchase a way over priced BMW ! Just settle down and learn to enjoy your motorcycle. Take from a guy who knows. there;s always something with any motorcycle. I promise you that. Now LETS RIDE !  :)

Thanks for your input.  As far as the grip being too firm?  I use my gocruse throttle lock and just relax my hand on the handgrip with hand spread open and fingers resting on brake lever and it goes numb. Same with the left hand.  I have caught myself at times resting my upper body weight on my arms and hands and then I situp and put my left hand in my lap but still, hand goes numb.

I wish there was a way I could capture a video or something of this buzz to give you a rough order of magnitude how bad it is.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline BJ_CT

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9058
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:44:45 am »
The comparison to one or more other C14s, in my opinion, is important.  Surely there must be someone who'd swap bikes for a few miles so you can see if it's evident in both bikes or just yours.  That would be an important test.  If it's just your bike, then the dealer ought to stand by you and see that it's fixed.  You also have nothing to lose by following Fred Harmon's suggestions, both of them.  Good luck.

I personally consider my C14 really smooth.  I consider my R1150RT buzzy, probably a German conspiracy.

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:49:48 am »
If you will give me all your contact info, and the dealership location where you took your bike, I can contact Kawasaki Corporate on your behalf. I can't guarantee it will do any good, but I'm willing to try.

Some bikes are more prone to vibrations than others, and it's hard to say if yours is normal or not without riding it and comparing it to another one. Most of the time the thing that fixes bikes that have vibrations is to loosen and retorque all the engine mounts, including the rear one. Sometimes a throttle body sync will also help.

But my first guess would be that you have an improperly adjusted engine mount bolt somewhere, and that is probably where I would start it if were my bike.

Thank you.  I guess I need a tech manual so I can figure out how to torque the stuff myself.

I sent you a PM with my info.

Thanks for the support.

Fred.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Con 14

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 05:04:07 am »
I feel your frustration. I experienced the vibration with a diffent bike some time ago and was told that it might be poor fuel or a faulty spark plug. The vibration vanished a little while later all on it's own. The fact that the dealer doesn't think it's right and sent a complaint suggests to me that he is on your side. Stay with the bike and put the challenge to your dealer's service department. Your dealer just might send the "it's abnormal" letter. My 2011 seems pretty smooth and it's stock except fot the Cee Bailey screen.

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:13 am »

All fun aside , My first ride on a C14 was at Daytona. I noticed vibration in that bike at certain RPM'S . When I drove out of the dealership it wasn't far before I felt vibration the same way in my bike, also when I hugged the bike with my legs and YES it did bother me. I have three friends that have a C14 and they all said the same thing. it vibrates a little . When I first got on this forum, that was pretty much my first thing to address. I talked to other sport bike riders and they said their bike vibrated to some degree or the other. If you will watch this video you will hear the guy say the C14 vibrated more than the BMW . I would be VERY interested to hear the results of your dilemma . But im afraid this is just going to be characteristic of the C14 .

2012 BMW K1600GT vs. 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »
Gee motorcycle.com prefers a BMW...go figure LOL
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Stewart

• Road Bike
  • Aussie living in the USA
  • COG#: 9380
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 12:22:55 pm »
I'd consider Freds advice, one day I noticed a buzz on my bike, more than normal and it felt like something was wrong. I spoke to the dealer and he noticed but couldn't put a finger on it. We chatted and he asked if I removed the tank, I said yes to install a Starcom1. Then he ask if I torqued the bolts correctly.....it turned out that I overtightened the bolts for the tank, which made the rubber mounts useless. After correcting that the buzz went away.

I also agree with others in that you throwing a leg around a 1.4 ltr engine, I'd expect some vibration. But it certainly shouldn't cause great discomfort.

I wish you the best in resolving this.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:27:11 pm »
I visited the other local Kawasaki place and the saga continues. I think they are playing unfair but I will get to this in a minute.

They have a 2008 and two 2010 Connies out there.  I explained to the sales person my issues and we went right out and started them up. Let them warm up a bit and ran them up to 4,000 rpm.  Although not glass smooth, there is a definite difference.  I did not have my bike there as a comparison (weather).  I then went to service and explained the whole story.  They are willing to trouble shoot.  And now the unfair part.  He set me up with a Goldwing Demo Ride while they have an initial look and ride on my bike. I am still wondering if I should take the ride.  But any way, at least they are willing to look at my bike and give it try.

Fred
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Just Kruse'n

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10280
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »
And now the unfair part.  He set me up with a Goldwing Demo Ride while they have an initial look and ride on my bike. I am still wondering if I should take the ride.  But any way, at least they are willing to look at my bike and give it try.

Fred

Don't ride it unless you are ready to buy it.
Ed Kruse
Naples FL
GWRRA #124374
Chapter FL2-G
COG #102806
'02 Silver GL1800
'11 Kawasaki Concours 14
"Just Kruse'n"

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 12:23:00 am »
Something smells . . . . . . .. . . . . .

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 03:34:12 am »
I have to do the eye roll when people compare the C14 to the BMW 1600. 

"It's a better motorcycle".

Well, no sheeeit.  It costs nearly $10K MORE...it BETTER damn well be a better motorcycle for that much cash.  Just assinine.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 10:33:25 am »
And now the unfair part.  He set me up with a Goldwing Demo Ride while they have an initial look and ride on my bike. I am still wondering if I should take the ride.  But any way, at least they are willing to look at my bike and give it try.

Fred

Man that is what everyone says.  In my mind I just cannot see it being as much fun an nimble as the C14. Especially if they can find what is causing the buzz and fix it.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »

Fred

Where exactly do you live ? Perhaps someone on the forum could meet you and check it out. What dealer wanted to set you up with a goldwing dimo ?

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 04:36:00 pm »
I took the bike in this morning and got to do a side-by-side comparison with 4 other bikes.   All the bikes have a "buzz" starting at 3500 rpm. My bike's buzz is noticeably different but not outside alarmingly different.  However they are going to retorque the motor mounts.

I took the Gold Wing for a ride.  It was so easy to ride it wasn't fun. The heated seat is definately nice.  Everyone was cautioning me not to ride if I didn't want to buy. I was not that impressed. Although it was the only bike i've ridden that didn't bother my hands and elbows.

More to follow.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 04:42:51 pm »
 Have they changed something on the newer C14's that might be causing this, or is it different year C14's you test rode. Mine had a little vibration. But nothing I found to be a problem to me.
I actually like the wing. It's definitely not as sporty as the C14. But maybe that might be a good thing to keep me more within the laws!  :))  I do think about going to a wing down the road. Maybe as a second bike. Maybe as the main or even only bike. I do find myself traveling to rallies and other trips more and more. So it may make sense down the road.

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
I took the bike in this morning and got to do a side-by-side comparison with 4 other bikes.   All the bikes have a "buzz" starting at 3500 rpm. My bike's buzz is noticeably different but not outside alarmingly different.  However they are going to retorque the motor mounts.

I took the Gold Wing for a ride.  It was so easy to ride it wasn't fun. The heated seat is definately nice.  Everyone was cautioning me not to ride if I didn't want to buy. I was not that impressed. Although it was the only bike i've ridden that didn't bother my hands and elbows.

More to follow.

What dealer let you let you take the goldwing for a ride ?

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 07:00:33 pm »

More to follow.

The Honda dealer near me, let me take a wing out for a test ride. Although I had to ride with one of the salesmen. So I really didn't get to fully check it out. But I did get a short ride of about 5-10 miles. So it wasn't too bad. But the bike does ride and handle very well for a big bike. And better than the older wings, which weren't no slouches either.

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:52 pm »

More to follow.

Manassas, VA.  I got 40 minutes on it.  Got to experience it on the highway, in traffic, took it to a parking lot, and then a neighborhood.  I touched all the buttons.  Cruise control was nice but interesting.  Like I said, the heated seat was pretty nice.  We are having very strong gusty winds today and the Wing was much more stable than the Connie. I did feel like the handlebars were back in my chest.  It was amazing how well you could hear the radio even at a low volume.  All you got to do is think about the turn and it rolls right in and holds the line.  The Connie seems to have some weight to the handlebars and wants to drift out on the turn.  I hear changing the rear tire to a 55 vs a 50 changes the roll in and roll out characteristics. I just don't know; it just did not impress me or didn't match all the hype everyone makes about it.

However, back on topic here.  I seriously think if they cannot get rid of the buzz or reduce it enough that the connie is good on the long hauls, I think I am going to sell and get out of motorcycle riding.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack