Author Topic: Where to go from here?  (Read 7313 times)

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Where to go from here?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »
Im new to this forum, yet have been riding all my life. The one thing I know more than anything about motorcycles is this, you need to be in love with your bike or it will make you miserable . The connie is not for everyone. Personally, it's perfect for me. I would think the goldwing would be the fit for you. It's an amazing machine. Honda has went out of it's way to perfect the bike in many ways just as Kawasaki has with the Concours 14. Yet their two different creatures. I doubt you will give up motorcycling , you just need to take the time to choose the bike that's right for YOU. There's not one of us on this forum that haven't went what your going through right now. I went through mine with my Harley. I ended up spending $30K trying to make myself happy on that bike. It never happen. Every bike has their quirks. With a little time and the right farkles the connie can become VERY comfortable . Best of luck with your quest. Let us know what you do .
No matter where I go, There I am !

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »
Thank you for your vote of confidence and morale support.  The trouble is if I were to try to purchase again it would be the third time in less than two years.  I think my wife would string me up.   This is not to mention the money I stand to loose on the Connie.
 :'(
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 12:26:03 am »
Well then, my advice to you would be this. You bought the connie for a reason. So ok it has a buz. Most sport bikes do. At certian RPM the connie does.  1. give it to the shop and let them tweak it. Then when you get it back, except it for what it is. 2. Handlebar risers. They make all kinds encluding new handlebars. Try grip puppies and the heavy weights on the handlebar ends. 3. A new seat will help your seating position and take some of the weight off your hands. In most cases theres to much hand weight and it puts your hands to sleep. I doube the little bit of buzz you feel is the culprate . Little tweaks here and there can make a bike feel great. Even the BMW has a little buzz to it. To be honest, I dont know of one that don't in my experience. Best of luck to ya.

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 01:05:37 am »
Well then, my advice to you would be this. You bought the connie for a reason. So ok it has a buz. Most sport bikes do. At certian RPM the connie does.  1. give it to the shop and let them tweak it. Then when you get it back, except it for what it is. 2. Handlebar risers. They make all kinds encluding new handlebars. Try grip puppies and the heavy weights on the handlebar ends. 3. A new seat will help your seating position and take some of the weight off your hands. In most cases theres to much hand weight and it puts your hands to sleep. I doube the little bit of buzz you feel is the culprate . Little tweaks here and there can make a bike feel great. Even the BMW has a little buzz to it. To be honest, I dont know of one that don't in my experience. Best of luck to ya.

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your input.  I did have the risers on there but took them off and sent them back.  I did not like the way it made the bike feel in the corners.  I currently have the heaviest weights I could find. I use the GoCruise throttle holder to relax my hands. I was thinking of the Corbin seat in the past because it come heated and seems to have a little bit of a back rest for the driver. 

What about a piece of thick rubber under the mounting points for the handle bars?
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Skin Dr

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 01:12:20 am »
I came from parallel twin with a 180 deg. crankshaft (a Ninja 500r and a 650r).  My C14 is like butter in comparison even with a little bit of buzz... I can actually see whats behind me in focus!

The dealer may also know of some "fixes" to get rid of the buzz too.  My dealer cleared up the buzz in my 650r's dash that was driving me insane, they charged me for a half hour of labor to fix it...

The rubber may be one option, it has been done to quell the vibration on other bikes...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:14:33 am by Skin Dr »
Laughter is the oil that reduces the friction of life.

Current Bike: 2010 Concours 14 ABS

Previous Bikes: 08 Ninja 650r (The Green Machine)
06 Ninja 500r

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 01:21:44 am »
I am looking at the Helibars.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money to be back where I am.  I nice set of handle bars and still have the buzz.

I had the same issue with the C50T which led me to the Connie.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 01:39:45 am »
I got friends I ride with. I notice grip puppies on pretty much every bike. Another fiend of mine bought a ST1100 and told me the buz was so bad he was thinking on getting red of it till he got grip puppies and risers. The three C14 riders I know all have delt with the buzz also. I have it in my bike. The demo I rode in Daytona had it. I guess engines are going to emmit vibration in one form or another. Handlebar vibration is nothing new. Getting used to the handling of your motorcycle will come when you get the buz problem worked out. Im guessing your putting to much pressure on your handlebars. But maby not. Heres what I do know. I sold my Harley because of vibration. You spoke of the same with your last motorcycle. The first thing I noticed about my C14 was the slight vibration. GUESS WHY ! So its a sore subject for the both of us. One has to put it into prespective I guess.  I think my handlebar risers and new seat will do the trick. The buzz really don't bother me to that degree. The weight I put on my Handlebars does. Perhaps your sensatised to vibration issues like me.
I can tell you this, Im 6ft2 200 lbs and the freakin seat pushes me to the handlebars. it sucks. It makes me put to much weight on my hands, thus feeling everything that comes through the bars. You speak of the new handlebars. Helibars. there's no way I would pay that amount till I felt it for myself first hand. You know what I mean ?

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 02:04:12 am »
I got friends I ride with. I notice grip puppies on pretty much every bike. Another fiend of mine bought a ST1100 and told me the buz was so bad he was thinking on getting red of it till he got grip puppies and risers. The three C14 riders I know all have delt with the buzz also. I have it in my bike. The demo I rode in Daytona had it. I guess engines are going to emmit vibration in one form or another. Handlebar vibration is nothing new. Getting used to the handling of your motorcycle will come when you get the buz problem worked out. Im guessing your putting to much pressure on your handlebars. But maby not. Heres what I do know. I sold my Harley because of vibration. You spoke of the same with your last motorcycle. The first thing I noticed about my C14 was the slight vibration. GUESS WHY ! So its a sore subject for the both of us. One has to put it into prespective I guess.  I think my handlebar risers and new seat will do the trick. The buzz really don't bother me to that degree. The weight I put on my Handlebars does. Perhaps your sensatised to vibration issues like me.
I can tell you this, Im 6ft2 200 lbs and the freakin seat pushes me to the handlebars. it sucks. It makes me put to much weight on my hands, thus feeling everything that comes through the bars. You speak of the new handlebars. Helibars. there's no way I would pay that amount till I felt it for myself first hand. You know what I mean ?

I'm hearing (reading) you. I'm picking up what you are putting down. And I certainly appreciate it.  Grip Puppies are not too expensive to tryout.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Stewart

• Road Bike
  • Aussie living in the USA
  • COG#: 9380
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:50 am »
While I can understand the frustration and aganst at not being confortable...I really don't understand why you'd give up riding. Sure it can't be that bad. I rode a Harley recently and the mirrors were useless, just a blur, but it was ok to ride.

I don't have a solution to your issue, but I hope you don't give up.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 10:52:40 am »
As far as giving up riding.....

I really don't want to give up riding but if it is not comfortable it is not fun and thereby no reason to continue with this bike.  There in lies the issues; I don't have enough heart to tell my wife that I need to change bikes again.  So how much money do I throw at this problem before it is pointless? 

Then there is the question, if I got another bike what problems will it bring?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this and motivation to continue.  I am thinking through my options.

Thank you,
Fred

2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 12:52:53 pm »
As far as giving up riding.....

I really don't want to give up riding but if it is not comfortable it is not fun and thereby no reason to continue with this bike.  There in lies the issues; I don't have enough heart to tell my wife that I need to change bikes again.  So how much money do I throw at this problem before it is pointless? 

Then there is the question, if I got another bike what problems will it bring?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this and motivation to continue.  I am thinking through my options.

Thank you,
Fred

Fred, Every bike has it's problems. I don't know of one bike ive owned where I didn't have to fit myself to it or resolve one problem or the other. The C14 is no exception. Heres one for you to think about. The well known BMW, well if it goes down it usually cost big $$$ to have it repaired if you can even find a dealer and it has it's own set of problems also. The wonderful goldwing you speak of, well because of it only having five gears it eats fuel over 70 mph and wait till you have to pay to get the air filter changed. It also had frame cracking issues. The Harley ? Well I could write a book on it';s problems . So, to be honest, the C14 has fewer problems than most. Your vibration problem is not that hard to fix. Your just sensitised to vivbration like me. How tall are you ? How much do you weigh ? And as far as how much money do you spend on your motorcycle ? Well, first off, Im guessing you purchased the motorcycle well below list price so your in good shape there. Most will spend an average of $3K easy. Im going to give you a link these guys have come up with going through the same process as yourself. it will help you. 

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27354.0.html

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:24 pm »
Ok.

The shop called me today and said they did some more comparison.  They have determined that the bar end weights are making the vibrations more pronounced.  I have after market weight on there.  They removed them and put them on another bike and the exaggerated vibrations moved to the other bike.  Sounds strange to me.

I think I am just going to go pick it up, bring it home, and just look at it until I can make up my mind what I want to do.

2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 10:35:37 pm »
Not strange at all. The vibration has to go somewhere and you didn't tell us you switched out the weights. there put there for a reason. Look into some aftermarket heavy weights and you will be amazed at the difference. I think the point is here not that they have weights on the ends, rather that the right weight will resolve your vibration problem . Welcome to sport touring ......

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »
I do have the heaviest weights I could on there.   They took them off my bike and moved them to a different bike. When they did they say the vibration moved to that other bike.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline daddykevin

• Mini Bike
    • Smarter Investing
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9739
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 10:57:54 pm »
That's it then, the bar end weights were possessed.

Easy.
DaddyKevin
aka Kevin Nichols
Financial Planner/Hedge Fund Manager
Daily Commuter/Motorcycling Savant

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 01:09:27 am »
I smell a freakin Troll !

Offline Scott Bechler

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9693
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 11:52:19 am »
The vibration has to go somewhere and you didn't tell us you switched out the weights. there put there for a reason.

He didn't tell us he had one of Phil's Racks on it either, but know how I can tell he does? It's listed in his signature line on every post! ;)

Scott

Offline siclmn

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:18 am »
You guys sure talk a lot about buzz problems on this forum. I am glad I didn't run out and buy the connie without hanging out here first.
Nobody ever talks about buzz problems on the BMW forum, and before you start calling me a troll, I am just stating fact. The only thing they do is raise their bars because they have back problems and need to sit up straighter. Not to cure a vibration problem. My BMW is getting old and I am still considering the connie but for now I will continue to hang out here and listen.

Offline Chuck

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9740
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:53 am »
I get the hand numbness as well.  It just seems to be part of the Connie's personality.  I figure a stop every 45 min to an hour is a good opportunity to have a smoke and a cold drink, and/or enjoy the scenery.  I do use the heal of my hand to hold the throttle while on a long run.  I come of  a Cadillac Yamaha Venture, which was sooo comfortable.  Now where near the handling of this beast though.  Love this Bike!    :beerchug:

2010 Neptune Blue
:)

Offline daddykevin

• Mini Bike
    • Smarter Investing
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 06:12:14 am »
You guys sure talk a lot about buzz problems on this forum. I am glad I didn't run out and buy the connie without hanging out here first.
Nobody ever talks about buzz problems on the BMW forum, and before you start calling me a troll, I am just stating fact. The only thing they do is raise their bars because they have back problems and need to sit up straighter. Not to cure a vibration problem. My BMW is getting old and I am still considering the connie but for now I will continue to hang out here and listen.

And your point is? I had a 2004 1150 RT and wasn't impressed with the "smoothness" of the bike, let alone the complete lack of balls when I needed to run hard.

These bikes do have their quirks, but let's face it, most of them are paid for. Not the case for the average Motorrad rider.
DaddyKevin
aka Kevin Nichols

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41:11 am »

And your point is? I had a 2004 1150 RT and wasn't impressed with the "smoothness" of the bike, let alone the complete lack of balls when I needed to run hard.

These bikes do have their quirks, but let's face it, most of them are paid for. Not the case for the average Motorrad rider.

AMEN ! I've spent my time before in a cult motorcycle following with Harley. I refuse to start it again with BMW . I flat out Love my C14. Sure she has a few quirks, but that's what makes her so special . If you don't like our Connies, go spend doubble the price. But when we blow by you, remember we payed half the price and notice the grin on our faces.  The C14 is PERFECT for me !

Offline daddykevin

• Mini Bike
    • Smarter Investing
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:58 pm »
Trouble, I completely agree. I had several Harley's prior to getting the RT. I NEVER rode my Harley just for the sheer enjoyment of riding, like I do the Connie. Unless, that is, I had someone with a truck and trailer following me for when it would quit running.

Those who ride for the "looks" that they get while on the bike will always be interested in form over function, sound over performance, appearance over value. That's not to say that the BMW or Harley crowds don't love their bikes, they just do so in a different manner than I, or most of us here, do.

By the way, I love my C-10. My first foray into the world of the Connie. I will likely upgrade to the C-14 at some point, primarily for the ABS and EFI.

Love the bike, love the forum!
DaddyKevin
aka Kevin Nichols

Offline Trouble

• Road Bike
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »
Trouble, I completely agree. I had several Harley's prior to getting the RT. I NEVER rode my Harley just for the sheer enjoyment of riding, like I do the Connie. Unless, that is, I had someone with a truck and trailer following me for when it would quit running.

Those who ride for the "looks" that they get while on the bike will always be interested in form over function, sound over performance, appearance over value. That's not to say that the BMW or Harley crowds don't love their bikes, they just do so in a different manner than I, or most of us here, do.

By the way, I love my C-10. My first foray into the world of the Connie. I will likely upgrade to the C-14 at some point, primarily for the ABS and EFI.

Love the bike, love the forum!

Well Said !

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »
Well as patient and accommodating everyone has been I have one more thing. I have come to the conclusion the only perfect scenario is to have both a Connie and a Gold Wing.  The trouble is, I am not rich.  I decided the Gold Wing will be the lesser of the two evils. I left my Connie at the dealer and came home with a Gold Wing.  I don't think it will be as much fun to ride but it will be more comfortable and my wife is much more likely to come along on the Gold Wing.  I think the latter comment was more of the deciding factor.

With that.  I have the stock bar ends, the stock windscreen, the stock rack if anyone would like to PM me we can work a deal.

Thanks again, it was certainly a fun 8 months.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »
Hey, they GW is a great bike. Not quite as sporty. But it will get up and go and handle pretty good to boot. I don't think the negatives of having the GW will out weigh the positives. Both bikes really have a lot of positives.