Author Topic: Which line runs to the coolant reservoir  (Read 202 times)

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
  • Membership Level: Active
Which line runs to the coolant reservoir
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:59:38 am »
There are 2 hoses running from the top of the radiator....which one runs to the reservoir? The one closest to the radiator cap?
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Which line runs to the coolant reservoir
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:29:09 am »
There are 2 hoses running from the top of the radiator....which one runs to the reservoir? The one closest to the radiator cap?

top one, bottom one runs to the water pump, as a bleeder line.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 01:33:15 am »
Is it possible to squirt a little coolant in thru that line and have it fill the reservoir a little? I don't remember the coolant reservoir lid being vented to allow the fluid in?
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 01:46:00 am »
Is it possible to squirt a little coolant in thru that line and have it fill the reservoir a little? I don't remember the coolant reservoir lid being vented to allow the fluid in?

Yep.
I gave this option a posting a long ways back, the "cap" is not vented,(if it was, the system would not suck overflow back up, into the radiator, when all is sealed by the radiator cap.)  but you can force coolant into the tank, with the radiator cap removed, and using a "turkey baster" shoved in the top hose (also removed from the radiator), you can "force feed coolant into the tank".

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 01:58:46 am »
I've never tried to remove the radiator cap without removing plastics...my meat hooks might not fit in there...I'm not sure. Its not to far below the low mark on the reservoir when cold so I may just hold off until it needs changing. It was 104* here today so it got me thinking I should be sure it isn't low.....probably just a couple ounces low at most so should be ok until I change it next spring. Thanks for your help MOB.