Author Topic: will installing ZX14 exhaust void my warranty  (Read 3314 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
will installing ZX14 exhaust void my warranty
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:12:59 am »
thinking of installing a ZX 14 exhaust

duals look cool, bigger pipes breath better

It is all kawa parts right??

warranty on 09 ends 9/14 I pan to extend  but this may change that

Offline maddoc

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: will installing ZX14 exhaust void my warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:37 am »
According to magnuson moss act, no unless the modification can be proven to be the cause of failure

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:45:34 am »
I don't see how but if in doubt, keep the OEM exhaust and be prepared to re-install it if there is some warranty-related problem.  As noted, in the US there are federal and many state laws that deal with warranty liability and what can and cannot be considered warranty voiding.

So if you swapped out the exhaust and the ECU later died, it would be very difficult, perhaps impossible to find any way to show that the exhaust contributed to the problem.  On the other hand, if you swapped the exhaust out and your engine ran too lean and you burned an exhaust valve, Kawasaki might be able to claim it was your responsibility.  Any they might be right as there are changes you can make that could damage the engine.

Exhaust mods are so common that if doing so created big problems folks here would be posting about it a lot.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:54:37 am by jwh20 »
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:33:46 am »

Exhaust mods are so common that if doing so created big problems folks here would be posting about it a lot.

Yup. I actually tested mine after installing a full Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, and had my flies opening earlier, with stock fueling, and the bike was still running rich. That's on a 2010 C14 at sea level.

Rem ;D
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:52:15 pm »
If I was the dealer I would deny your warrantee if you came in with the ZX14 exhaust installed for a w-claim.  :( but true.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline maddoc

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
If I was the dealer I would deny your warrantee if you came in with the ZX14 exhaust installed for a w-claim.  :( but true.

great thing about it is even if a dealer denies the warrentee you can go higher and submit your claim to manufacturer for review

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »
The dealer does not care what you bolt on the bike.
In a worse case scenario (blown engine) they  pull the data from the ECU and look to see if an engine failure was caused by a 'too lean condition'.
My dealer told me they can go back about 15 minutes. I dont know how true that is.
I have a ton of 'bolt on' engine and suspension mods. It does not effect the GTTP. The service manager told me so.
Let's hope Greg never becomes a service manager. :nananana: :nananana:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:12:21 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
The dealer does not care what you bolt on the bike.
In a worse case scenario (blown engine) they  pull the data from the ECU and look to see if an engine failure was caused by a 'too lean condition'.
My dealer told me they can go back about 15 minutes. I dont know how true that is.
I have a ton of 'bolt on' engine and suspension mods. It does not effect the GTTP. The service manager told me so.
Let's hope Greg never becomes a service manager. :nananana: :nananana:

that's good to know.  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:48 pm »

And you would be in violation of federal law by doing so.  If I came in with a blown engine that you can show was caused by exhaust causing the engine to run too lean then you would legally be allowed to deny the claim on the engine,   but if i came in because my front rotors are warped, you cannot deny that claim based on the exhaust :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:21:24 pm »
I have never owned a new bike with a warrantee before, always have been used bikes. I based my comment on owning new cars and having warrantee denied due to wheel and tire upgrades, installing shocks and sway bars and having denied claims for minor stuff.

I guess I can see a dealer allowing some mods that are very commonly done on bikes, exhausts, wheels, fork and strut upgrades.....

I have a ton of frarkles, a flashed ECU and new 330mm front rotors. I have a 3 year warrantee on my new C14... I don't foresee any claims since my 2006 ZX14 has 71K miles on it and has never stranded me or had any issues. And all my Kawasaki's have been very dependable. I do plan on buying the extended warrantee down the road..... :motonoises:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline 1gopokes1

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:34 am »
this my ist bike less than 10 years old

didn't know it had a warranty until they did a recall  fix.....nice :-)

Offline Anthony

• Mini Bike
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 06:33:22 am »
What's a warranty?  :nananana: I've never bought anything with a warranty sadly thought it would have been useful on some things.

Offline maddoc

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:01 am »
I have never owned a new bike with a warrantee before, always have been used bikes. I based my comment on owning new cars and having warrantee denied due to wheel and tire upgrades, installing shocks and sway bars and having denied claims for minor stuff.

I guess I can see a dealer allowing some mods that are very commonly done on bikes, exhausts, wheels, fork and strut upgrades.....

I have a ton of frarkles, a flashed ECU and new 330mm front rotors. I have a 3 year warrantee on my new C14... I don't foresee any claims since my 2006 ZX14 has 71K miles on it and has never stranded me or had any issues. And all my Kawasaki's have been very dependable. I do plan on buying the extended warrantee down the road..... :motonoises:

if you ever get something with a warrentee read up on the magnuson-moss act 1975,  dealers cant deny your warrentee claim unless they can prove that you (consumer) caused the malfunction due to modification or not following owners manual. For example a if your motor blows the dealer cant tell you to pound sand because you didn't have your oil changes done at the dealer using their fluid, as long as you are using a oil that meets/exceeds their standard your fine.

I had to read up when I started dealing/using AMSOIL, I wanted to make sure that if I used an extended drain cycle on my car I wouldn't violate the warrentee.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04:38 pm »
and new 330mm front rotors.
Hey Greg, How are you liking those rotors. I bet with S.S. lines they rock!! :)
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
and new 330mm front rotors.
Hey Greg, How are you liking those rotors. I bet with S.S. lines they rock!! :)

Well due to the linked brakes I am hesitant to do SS lines, I find the C14 brakes and lever/pedal to be very firm as they are. The front brakes work excellent.

I put SS lines on my other bikes and the ZX14. On the ZX14 I felt no change in lever/pedal feel. On the KLR it was like night and day!
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:18:06 pm »

If you were denied warranty stuff on the wheels, or suspension after you modified it that is one thing, but they cannot deny other warranty claims.   If you blew a stock muffler, or had engine troubles and they denied the claim, you would have one HELL of a lawsuit
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.