Author Topic: Windshield cleaning tip.  (Read 635 times)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Windshield cleaning tip.
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:05:02 pm »
  Guys I have neglected my V Stream far too long and decided to do a deep clean on the bike today. The shield proved to be the hardest part. I usually have good luck with Novus cleaner but not so much this time. The over a year baked on bugs just wouldn't come off. So I tried soaking , non alcohol eye glass cleaner. Even Dawn. No love.  Until my wife says hey I have some Mr Clean Eraser pads. We have been using them for cleaning aquariums for some time now with great results.
 Anyway this is the ticket for those concrete bugs. Just slightly wet the corner of the pad and polish. Then follow up with the dry side. I also finished up with some Novus and a micro fiber but without the  Mr Clean Eraser I was ready to give. This is the best my screen has ever looked. Yall give it a try.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:22:28 pm by strum »
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Windshield cleaning tip.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »
report back, after riding at night, with oncoming headlights... and tell us if the micro scratch syndrome hit ya.. just curious about it..

I've always just taken an old (COG?... not...) tee shirt, slid it over the windscreen, and soaked it down with Hydrogen Peroxide, and kept re wetting it every 10 minutes... I've done the same thing using a hotel white, soft, cotton towel, many times, and just costs a small amount for the cost of the juice from the nearest drug mart on a trip soak it down good, and it holds it... When I re-wet it, I flip the towel over, a couple re-wets and flips... and them bugs are softer than the day they went 'splat'... I do this all in the shade.. just saying.
I'll never 'scrub' another plastic windshield... :'(

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:01:09 pm »
Will do . Proxide huh?  I was racking my brain trying to think of what would soften those last few bugs with out melting plastic .
 Usually they not to bad but as i said I neglected it way to long .  Them sucker were not giving it up.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.

Offline Mudflap

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9328
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 03:32:46 am »
I will be first to admit, I have no idea how they work, chemical or abrasive or both, could also be magic i suppose. To me, they perform exactly like 900 grit sanding sponges. Everywhere I have seen them used, it looks great initially but dulls quickly and never gets back to the original smooth finish. I have seen this in the gel coating of shower inserts and on synthetic counter tops.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:40:44 pm »
Speaking of the micro-scratching.....

I took my random-Orbit buffer, with a meguiars softbuff cutting pad, and some mother's scratch removal liquid, to both of my VERY scratched screens earlier this summer.

Happy to say, they both turned-out VERY nicely, but it took a few passes and some elbow grease.

Been avoiding that job for a few years, and this finally made them clear and shiny again.   :great:

*Hot water and Soap with hotel towels, soaking on the windshield, is what helped me when I was on the road.  I didn't get fancy with the Hydrogen Peroxide.  Could have died my hair too, Pony Boy.  :rotflmao:

gr
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:43:22 am by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:31:05 pm »
 I cant find any micro scratches using different flashlights and shop lights  in my shop  but i guess i ll have to ride it a night to be sure.
 I also used the Eraser for some hard to remove tar and gunk on my wheels. Cant see any dulling  yet . 
Maybe their not the end all solution but for me they are usefull.
2008 C-14

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 11:30:08 pm »
*Hot water and Soap with hotel towels, soaking on the windshield, is what helped me when I was on the road.

I was in Montana with a windshield covered with dead bugs. When I stopped for the night I thought I was using too much Plexus. I took the windshield off   stuck it in hot water in the tub. The Windshield cleaned up nicely. Wash cloth won't rinse all the bugs out and I couldn't get rid of the bugs which were now a ring around the tub.   :sign0137:
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »
i have used a chamois soaked in hot water, laid it on the screen for a few minutes and the little bug guts just melt away. ;)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Brian

• Moped
  • COG#: 6374
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 05:54:07 pm »
Mom's original window cleaning solutions of 50/50 mix of vinegar and water does wonders. Be warned, it will take off wax if you over spray on a painted waxed surface.
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline gilbysan

• Training Wheels
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:16:14 pm »
Gents,
I have been using Brillanize, http://www.brillianize.com/ for some time on all my acrylics and it does a great job of cleaning off stuck on bugs and other road gunk from both my windshield and visors.
When there are a bunch of baked on bugs I carefully dust off the shield to remove as many loose particles as possible then spray it on and let it soak in for a moment, then go over it with a Costco Microfiber towel to get the big stuff off, then spray again and carefully wipe again.  Good as new.  I believe that it also gives the plastic a bit of protection from future bug strikes.
I carry a small bottle of it in my saddle bag for road trips...
Cheers!
Gilbysan

gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 04:45:13 pm »
Ok Gilbysan you sold me .. Well the Jay Leno video did any way ;D . I  found an 8oz bottle on Amazon for $9.95 . Thanks.
2008 C-14

Offline gilbysan

• Training Wheels
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 03:02:29 pm »
Strum,
Coolio.  Who's Jay Leno? :)
BTW, I buy a gallon jug of it at my Local (TAP Plastics) acrylic's store and pump it into smaller bottles. I am sure there is an equivalent place around where you live...

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cleaners_polishes/kleenmaster_brillianize/112
Cheers!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:09 pm »
Strum,
Coolio.  Who's Jay Leno? :)
BTW, I buy a gallon jug of it at my Local (TAP Plastics) acrylic's store and pump it into smaller bottles. I am sure there is an equivalent place around where you live...

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cleaners_polishes/kleenmaster_brillianize/112
Cheers!
Gilbysan

cool stuff...
I don't have jay leno's $$$, and I doubt he even 'cleans' his collection by his own hands...
(seen him and his stuff on TV, many times... he has people "take care of his stuff").

my only question is, does it bubble up and remove, without 'scrubbing', hard crusty 3 month old bug splats on bike? :??:

I never wash my bike... that's why God made Rain... :beerchug: :nananana:
just a little personal humor... :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...